Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Chevy Impala RWD

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I may be a host, however, I've been a user on here since well before 2001! I'm an all around car-guy not just motorsports and track and tuning.

Am I not welcome to participate here? :(

-mike
  • colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    You have to be voted in.......you can't just jump in here!!! :) ...and I've been here long before that......I was here when the first Impala rolled of the line back in'58... :)...Didn't think Edmunds was that old, huh?
    Yeah but Al Gore hadn't "invented" the internet in '58! haaaaaaaa

-mike
    I like that one..... :)
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Hey Mike....

Yes-sir-reee, You are most welcome here....I was just curious !! I guess it's because We mostly hear from Karen.. who has a wicked wrist slap by the way... just ask Bryan...!!
    Frank ;)
    Haaaa. Nah, I'm a user first, host second. I'm a car nut at heart, especially RWD. I still miss my 1974 Olds 98 Regency Hardtop with 455 Rocket. :) That was my first car, built the year I was born!

-mike
    You guys make me feel so old!!!....born in '74?.....yikes!!..my kids are older than that!!...oh well.... :sick: ....Love my Impala.....
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I was born in the 78' and I feel old !!!! :sick:

Rocky
    Hey Rock........ Best you hang in there now... because it gets even better.... you haven't seen anything yet !!!!! :sick:

Frank ;)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I told Mike he could hang out here. If I get tired of him, I'll just make him "read only" in a few select discussions :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Ok now Kirstie...We're curious here, again.... Where do you fit into all this Hosting stuff...??? Now you really have me confused.. :confuse:

Frank ;)
    If you look at the top of this discussion, you'll see my name listed as host (power-crazed, of course). I host discussions about future vehicles, the Smart Shopper board, and I'm the "roving" host (meaning my power-craze is unfettered - I can "host" anywhere that needs attention). Make sense?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

yeah , and Kirstie will kick your butt right out of here...I was there ..it was back in "01.....tables were flying, chairs broken, windows were shattered, blood all over this Forum...terrible times , they were......don't mess with Kirstie!!....Kirstie will put you in Hearstie!! :sick:
    Good to meet you Kirstie..thanks for your info..!!

Hey Bryan, You are a hoot, man......!!!
    I don't plan on shedding any blood here.

Frank ;)
  • fordenvyfordenvy Member Posts: 72
    ... for the 2010 Impala. Ford will be coming out with their own RWD V-8's around the same time. I like the Interceptor concept better than the Implala concept, but when it comes to the production model it will change. OR should I go get a Chrysler (which I perceive to be garbage) now?
    Well, personally, I find your comments to be very interesting here...
    Ok now, so you like the FORD Interceptor concept better than the Impala, and you also perceive a Chrysler to be garbage.....Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, pretty much says it all...!!!
    Gee, and with a name like FORDENVY, I think you pretty well have your mind made up here... Don't 'ya think.??
    Sorry, I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help here..!!

Frank
    I guess he likes "Fix Or Repair Daily" cars.......I thought this was a Chevy Impala site....I think his post should be moved over to the Ford Forums... :shades:
    Hey Bryan...I just looked up his recent Forums Activy and his last 10 posts were all on the FORD side...Oh, shute..there's that 4 letter word again. Maybe, he just got bored, or something..!!??

Frank ;)
    Thanks Bryan ...Yep, it's running very well, and everything is just great so far..!! :blush: You obvious have a winner there with yours...well done!
    At this point, I have No popping, ticking, moans, groans, scratching, hissing, no chips, no TPMS message, etc. etc. etc. Things are so good right now, it's almost scarey... Especially, the FOB thing..!!

Have a great day.!
    Frank ;)
    I look everyday for paint chips....hopefully Martin and myself will continue with no paint problems.....onstar is still red/green but works good....more snow here for tonite.....take care.....bryan
    Let's try to stick to the 09 Impala, please? Aspersions about other members' motives aren't welcome, and you can just ignore posts you don't like.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    Lutz on Zeta Future: Camaro Safe, but Impala Work Stalls - Daily Auto Insider

http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoinsider/12810/lutz-on-zeta-future-camaro-sa- fe-but-impala-work-stalls.html
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Sounds like classic Detroit whining about gov't interference instead of stepping up to the challenge. Besides, a 30% increase in fuel economy from 20 mpg isn't 30 mpg (as Lutz states), it would be 26 mpg. While I'm not saying it would be easy, the 5.7L Camaros and Corvettes were getting that 10 yrs ago. I know GM and all of Detroit is hurting but being bold is what is going to put them back in America's driveways. It's time to encourage Americans to buy the big sedan in place of the SUV. A 28 mpg Impala will make it much easier to reach a higher CAFE than a 20 mpg Tahoe or Suburban.
  • 02cavalier02cavalier Member Posts: 20
    ^^^ I agree with that! I personally think the Impala is more comfortable to ride in than my wife's Durango, and it gets almost twice the gas mileage. Remember, 28 mpg is realistic for the Impala and 20 mpg is a far stretch for an SUV. Our Durango has never seen 20 mpg. Best it ever got was 18 on an all highway trip. :D
  • 02cavalier02cavalier Member Posts: 20
    As far as the next Impala is concerned, I don't like the idea of any backwards steps in fuel mileage (like they did with the 2006 Impala compared to the 2005). I think 32 mpg highway (3.4 Impala 2004 model) is really good for a car its size and would sacrifice a little power for the fuel mileage. :shades:
  • fordenvyfordenvy Member Posts: 72
    that GM has a great possibility of cancelling all RWD projects coming up, except for the G6 and the Camaro of 2009. But as for the Impala and the Buik RWD they may be slashed. Reasons they have down is the new gov't standards that are going to come out and the CAFE increase. We all know that FWD's get better fuel economy than RWD, by about 1-3mpg, and if all your models contribute that decline you'll never be able to meet CAFE.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    question in Crown Vic topic, as someone mentioned the RWD 2009 Impala, and now I find that it has its own topic...

Will the 2009 Impala be of a decent size, say, nearer a Crown vic with a little room???...the current Impala looks to be about the size of a Taurus, and would not be a family sedan in my book...

I can't believe it...a GM car has actually piqued my interest...:):):):):)
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I don't think any specs have been released yet, but I have heard A) the upcoming new 2008 Malibu grows in size from the current version to practically the same size as the current Impala (which could imply the upcoming RWD Impala might be larger), and B) last I heard the RWD Impala might have been delayed a year (but I don't remember if that was a reveal in 2009 as a 2010 model, or reveal in 2010 as a 2011).

Your best best will be to look at a Pontiac G8 when it comes out; my understanding is the Impala will be on the same platform (and probably similar in size).
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Current Impala - 110.5" wheelbase.
    2008 Malibu - 112.3" wheelbase.
    2008 Malibu - 191.8" length
    Current Impala - 200.4" length

2008 Malibu - 70.3" width
    Current Impala - 72.9" width

Legroom/headroom are almost the same for both cars, but look at shoulder room:
    2008 Malibu - 55.9" front/53.9" rear
    Current Impala - 58.7" front/58.6" rear

The longer wheelbase in the new Malibu helps in the legroom dept., but it won't match the current Impala overall in terms of interior space/comfort...but it'll be right in the middle of Camry/Accord territory.

So to answer the earlier question regarding the upcoming RWD Impala, I'd bet the new one won't be substantially larger than the current FWD version (at least not growing to Crown Vic dimensions of 212" length/77.3" width/114.6" wheelbase).

Current Dodge Charger is 200.1" long, 120.0" wheelbase, 74.5" width; roughly the same size as the Impala except for wheelbase, which I'm sure will be different in the RWD Impala. Hopefully the new Impala will have comparable rear legroom to the Charger/Magnum/300, which combined with a front bench would definitely make it feel like a bigger car.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    GM indicated June 1/07 that the Zeta program is now on again and the RWD Impala will start production in mid 2010 as a 2011 model. Information also says the 2009/10 Impala will be called the Impala Classic before being put out to pasture. This will probably replace the current LS/LT/LTZ designations.
    Would that probably mean a public reveal at the Detroit auto show @ Jaunary 2010?
    I was hoping this car would come out sooner. Detroit Auto Show January 2010 is still 2 1/2 years away. A lot of new products will be on the road before then.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Agreed! Five years for a redesigned model on a very old (albeit updated) chassis is not where GM needs to be in a time where they should be showing they are a world leader in the industry. I guess, on the bright side, it should help the resale values for the Impalas that are out there.

I'll be looking at the Pontiac G8 when it hits the show rooms and the new Camaro. If I decide a new car is in my future, I may just go for one of those. My GM card will be maxed out at $2000 by then and I doubt they'll allow any more than that toward one of them anyway. :)
    By the time the RWD Impala comes out, my oldest daughter will be a senior in high school - if I wait until then, I actually won't have as much need for a 4-door car, since she'll be leaving home (hopefully :) ) within a year.

I just put new brake rotors & pads on my 2000 Impala; my plan is to keep driving it for at least another year or two...but I don't think I can stretch it much beyond that. I might make it as far as 2010, but to wait another year after that for the Impala seems doubtful. I really hoped it'd be revealed in 2009 and available in 2010; so if I liked it I could wait, and if not I could go ahead and get a Malibu or something similar. I guess I can look at the G8 and Camaro and get an idea for costs and fuel economy, and make my decision based on that.
    Right now Chevy is riding a tide of high sales on its Impala. GMs top selling car. 35,600 sold in May. When a car is selling well like this car, updating improvements have to keep coming to keep the sales high. Another couple years of the same old will soon show up in lost sales.

Chevy has put too much emphasis on the new Malibu coming this fall thats very close in dimensions to the top selling Impala. If Chevy can continue to make big improvements every year or two with the Corvette it should trickle down to the other car lines. There are too many alternatives today to keep making the same car for 5 or 6 years without improvements more often.

Many people trade every 3-5 years. For those that bought a 2006 Impala and likes the car, I am sure at trade in time they don't want to buy another Impala thats exactly like they traded. I would want /improvements/freshening otherwise the competitions offerings might be more appealing. Thats just common business sense.
    I agree; stretching the earlier Impala from 2000-2005 seemed long to me, so with the new one running 2006-2010 or 2011 is comparable I guess. But one thing they did correctly on the 2000-2005 version was they introduced the car with just the base and LS trim levels, and then rolled out the SS a few years later, so there was always something coming down the pike that kept the car freshened.

I felt like when the '06 came out in LS/LT/SS right out of the gate that probably meant it would be a short-lived run, with something new on the horizon (which probably would have been the Malibu and the RWD Impala). I don't know what Chevy can do with this car say in 2009 to prop it up for another year or two, especially with the new Malibu on the ground at that point. I'm really not a fan of slapping the "classic" label on a tired model and keeping it around after it has worn out its welcome.

Since I probably won't be able to wait for the RWD Impala to hit the streets before I do something, I'll probably end up choosing between a new Malibu or an Impala "Classic", which unless the Impala is heavily discounted, won't be much of a struggle to decide.
    The Impala name has probably more heritage then any other american car. With current sales zooming and now to say they are winding down with this current platform doesn't make sense. The new Malibu will never have the status the Impala name has. It took 8 model years to build up the confidence of the American public to be the #4 top selling vehicle in America (Mays sales figures)

The new RWD, larger, more expensive Impala coming in three years will have to start over again to prove its capabilities to the buying public.

The Impala FWD should soldier on and with upgrades and the new RWD car called the Caprice etc. Just my opinions.
    Or the FWD Impala could be redesigned and christened the Bel-Air; it may be too retro sounding to actually sell, but I'd put that at a notch above the Malibu, but beneath the Impala.
    Endless possibilities........lets just hope chevy gets it right!
    I have no doubt Chevy can get the product right, it's the timing I'm worried about. Hard to predict the future, but I sure hope gas prices don't continue to rise at their current rate between now and the arrival of the RWD Impala.
    Chevy is on a roll right now. Silverado is doing very well, the Impala breaking sales records. I would believe the Cobalt will be the next for a major update.

I was hoping the RWD Impala would come out when the Camaro does, but not to be. I am sure somewhere in the future (and I ain't gettn' any younger) there will be a RWD Impala in my future. I have always driven chevys and I follow their racing programs. For a company that has had some serious finacial mountains to climb they are doing very well in todays tough competitive world.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    I thought we would see a new Camaro and Impala within a year or two. As for the Cobalt, it looked dated when released. Either do a major change to the Cobalt, and the gas miles improvements needed, or scrap the smaller car line under $20K. There are a couple new cars, like the Malibu/Aura/G6, or which the Malibu mayb end up being the winner, and then there is the Solstice/Sky, which could use some refinement/changes. Seems the SUV and truck lines are the emphisis still and they seem to sell. If gas goes to $4 or $5 a gallon, who knows -- maybe still sell. As long as the US economy holds. I would not bank on that one. In cars, the new Astra seems to be in a good place, with lower price - higher gas mileage. The CTS may be a hit. Anyone seen one in the steel? Photos look OK, but I do hope they do not kill the Arts & Science quirky look. It was one of the things that makes the car what it is - unique.
    The STS, as a stretched and rounded CTS is sure blahhh.

The redo for make-up on the old Impala was a sucess, and looks pretty good. Seems to help it look lower, and wider and offers some chrome, which has been absent for years.
    Doubt it is going to be enough to last another three years. What happened to the New Impala? Another Camry will be introduced by the time the Impala is released. Heck, the Jetson's cars may be on the road (in air) by then :D Come on get with it General.
    Loren
  • batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    then there is the Solstice/Sky, which could use some refinement/changes

What? The Solstice/Sky are new for 2006 and GM won't update it until 2009 or 2010. Do you think the new 07 Camry will get reworked for 2008?
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    The Solstice and Sky both lack a roll bar for safety. The Solstice has too short and most uncomfortable an armrest one could imagine on a car with rather high door window sills. This means you may actually need an armrest on the door side. Well the cut-out doesn't go back far enough and it is wrong angled. The top is not so attractive and whole system less than tops in class. My guess is that it got off to the market place before completion. As for it competing for road performance and overall quality, that is debatable. In the looks department, it is job well done, except for the top.

And no, the Camry doesn't need to be reworked, though the odd bump on the nose could be removed, unless it has some purpose for sound / wind noise or gas mileage - who knows. Second thought, lose the bump on nose at any cost. Overall, the Camry is pretty neat looking car, all the way to its Bangle butt. The interior is not up to Toyota's best efforts to date. Could be upgraded, along with taking the sore nose off. Otherwise, it is thoroughly modern - an up to date car, with great gas mileage and HP.
    Loren
    You can't scrap the car lines under $20,000 (but I am sure GM wish they could). GM makes next to nothing on the smaller car lines. They make these cars only because they need them to balance the CAFE numbers otherwise a hefty gas tax would be on the larger cars.

Trucks are GMs financial strength. They make a ton on each loaded pickup/large SUV they sell. Silverado will sell over 700,000 units this model year.

Example smaller car lines. Latest information is that Saturn up until 2006 figures has never made a profit for GM.
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    Hey I was shopping today for a new Impala and the Chevy dealer told me a new version is coming out in the next 6 months. He claims it will be bigger than the current Impala, but will still be FWD and have 3.5 and 3.9 liter engine options. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

While I've got 152,000 on my 02 Impala, I'm going to keep driving for a while to see if a new ones coming. I don't like the current Impala as well as my old one. Less leg room in back and poor rear window vision and mirrors relative to my version.
    He could be referring to the new Malibu, though they're supposed to come with a 2.4 (4-cylinder) and 3.6 (V6).

I guess it's possible they could be doing a "refresh" on the current Impala (since the 3.5 and 3.9 are available now, and it's due to be replaced by the RWD version in a couple of years), but I haven't seen any "spy photos" posted anywhere about that. But even if that's the case the changes would likely be cosmetic at best, and probably limited to the extreme front/rear of the car (and possibly some interior tweaks).

But either way I wouldn't think there's a "new" version of the Impala coming in the next 6 months.
  • gb540gb540 Member Posts: 1
    GM is making a BIG mistake if they go RWD only. Either have an affordable AWD option, or surrender your family-sedan market share to the imports.

Why? I'm in the Rust Belt. RWD stinks in snow and ice! No fancy talk about differential locks, weighting down the trunk, and "snow tires" will redeem it. Besides who wants to do such baby sitting? It's not 1947 anymore.

People [non-permissible content removed] that you need RWD for performance. On a FAMILY SEDAN?? Whatever. If you wanna burn your tires on a Saturday night get a sports car.

GM should be going all-out on getting the Chevy Volt to market instead.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The 2008 Impala is already posted on Chevy's website and it is the same as the 06-07 except for some changes to the trimlines and options and prices. I can't imagine Chevy would do a 2008 run and then make changes within 6 months. It can take longer than that to retool the plant for such changes, and the current Impala is selling very well for Chevy.

I recall reading at another site somewhere that the New Impala will be released in calendar year 2010 as a 2011 Model Year vehicle. That means 3 more years with the current style. Not sure if what I read is actally true, however.
This discussion has been closed.