Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo 5-Speed Clutch Problems

blk07aveoblk07aveo Member Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
I just bought a '07 aveo sedan w/5-speed, just wondering if anybody has had any trouble with the transmition or clutch. If so whats the problem and how many miles? thanks

Comments

• randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I have had no problems with my 2004 and I have about 27,000 on mine now..love the mileage I am getting.
  • wsarahwsarah Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Aveo with 45,000KM. My car died a few days ago and was told that my clutch was entirely shot. I'm not a person who rides the clutch or who is hard on it at all. Not very happy about this at all. My 22 yr old Volkswagon Rabbit which has over 250,000KM has never had this kind of problem. As it will not be covered under my warranty it is going to cost me $1200.00 and take 2 1/2 weeks to fix. Unimpressed with Chevy, will not buy another one.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    that is not encouraging news and not very impressive at all, indeed. I drive a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 with a 5-speed manual tranny and have 126,658 miles on my OEM clutch. The thing drives and shifts like a champ-as it still should.

Your Aveo's clutch putzing out at only 45,000 kilometers is really a short clutch life. You didn't ride the clutch or pop the clutch out too fast now and then, and kill the motor every so often?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• p_robsp_robs Member Posts: 1
    Last week, the clutch on my 2006 Aveo all of a sudden seemed as though it was going out...quickly. That evening, it broke down completely and wouldn't move at all. There were oil and transmission fluid puddles underneath it. I took it to the dealer. Their first diagnosis was that there as a break in the transmission seal. Not bad news since it was still under the power train warranty (48K miles). Plus they said it was nothing I did. They said that the clutch was probably gone, too, since lack of fluid would have damaged it. However, the clutch repair wouldn't be covered by the warranty since I was past the bumper-bumper mileage. I was prepared to argue that one since their manufacturing defect caused the clutch to go out.

The next day the shop called and said it was the clutch that went first and the broken pieces caused all the other damage, including damage to the starter....I noticed no such problem. So the entire repair was my responsibility, to the tune of $3315 for a car that I bought for under $8000.

I am getting another mechanic to look at it since I think the dealership is trying to scam me. Then I'm going to call the customer care line, though that doesn't sound hopeful Next step will be the BBB. I've had several standard transmissions over the years and have only had to replace the clutch on one car...with over 100K miles. Are the Aveos really that desposable?
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    That dealership is attempting to bone you, but good.

I can't imagine a bad clutch causing a transmission leak...

So much for the great GM warranty!
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    The dealer is not being honest with you. Though the car doesn't have the new 5-year 100,000 warranty, doesn't yours have a 4-years power train warranty? If forget the specifics of your model year warranty but power train includes the transmission (clutch).
  • LtpinesLtpines Member Posts: 3
    I've had my (new - 5spd stick) Aveo5 hatchback since March 2008 and only just now I've started having a rattle coming from the stick. I have to hold it to one side to silence it. It only happens in 5th gear when accelerating and cruising - not when decelerating.

I DID notice this noise only after my last oil change at a local 'Jiffy Lube' shop.
    What the heck could THEY have done to cause this noise?

Is there a rubber bushing or something I can get that goes in there to hold the stick?

The dealer folded his tent within weeks of my driving off the lot so please don't advise I take it back there. The same sales manager (who ordered his salesman give me a ton of incentives) is still there only NOW it's a BMW dealership after GM closed them down.

I only discovered THIS when I took it back for my 3,000 mile oil change and 'free tune-up' promised as a 'standard sales incentive' (verbal not written).
This discussion has been closed.