Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sport Trac Transmission Problems

KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
Make your Trac shift properly by getting your tranny probs solved here

kcram - Pickups Host

Comments

• acatalinaacatalina Member Posts: 4
    Mine did this. It shifted really rough and kinda stuck from 1st to second. Thay reprogrammed the computer and so far i have not had any more problems.
  • jbodinejbodine Member Posts: 10
    I recently had a faulty junction box(?) replaced to fix my electrical issues. I asked the dealership multiple times to go ahead and do the transmission fix related to the TSB. They never actually acknowleged the TSB and said that the junction box fix should also fix my shifting problem and that it learns the behavior of the driver -- does that sound right? I still have a hard downshift sometimes at low speeds coming to a stop. Should I leave well enough alone or take it to another dealer? Thanks. 07 V8 4WD Limited, 10K miles
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
  • ayarbo1ayarbo1 Member Posts: 56
    I say take it to another dealer and request that they flash your PCM and TCM per TSB# 06-13-01.
  • 40guy40guy Member Posts: 1
    Our 2004 Sport Trac now has 68000 miles on it and other than normal service has been running good. However, about 3000 miles ago, my wife, who normally drives the truck complained about the trans NOT shifting into drive after backing down the driveway. After the third time, we took the truck to a Ford dealer, who was not the one we purchased the truck from. They couldn't find the problem. We brought the truck back home and next day it malfunctioned again. We have an extended warranty to 75K miles, so we wanted it fixed before the warranty ran out. We took it back to the original dealer who said over the phone that the problem was known and they would repair it under the warranty. When I brought the truck in, I asked them to reflash per TSB# 06-13-01. Dealer said they would, but it was not covered under the extended warranty. They changed out the R-D solenoid on the trans and reflashed the computer. Serviced the tranny, and sent us down the road. So far, the trans has shifted normally and we are happy campers. Hope this helps someone else with their truck. :)
  • drnickdrnick Member Posts: 1
    Yeap, I have a 08 SprtTrac. I just bought last month. I am experiencing some subtle "slow" shifting also from 1st to 2nd. Not that profound but yet noticeable. I have contacted my sales person, he said bring it in let service department check it out. I will do that for sure, this week. This may need to be addressed to Ford Mot. Co., I'm sure we are not isolated occurances. I don't know. Anyone inquired from Ford Mot. Comp. directly on his? However, I Love my Sprt.Trck. just what I needed plus more. Later. Doc. Nick
  • yellowvetteyellowvette Member Posts: 25
    I have a 07 sport trak,V8,automatic, had the downshift problems after coming to a stop.Felt like I got rearended,dealership called ford motor co. and they sent them a different program for the tranny.So far its a different truck,shifts great,improved mileage from 18.5 to 20.1 intown. Wish you the best of luck,also you can go to www.alldatadiy.com and check for service bulletins and recalls for all vehicles. This may help, I printed and took information and bulletin numbers to dealership and they found out what to do to fix problem. Thx.
  • yellowvetteyellowvette Member Posts: 25
    Hello,this TSB 08-4-16 supersedes original TSB 08-3-8 as of feb 08. This tells of the problem Ford is having with the 6R60 6 speed automatic built prior to 11/28/07 and also those built prior to 5/4/06. Hope this helps. Thx.
  • hab492000hab492000 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 4x4 with the 4.9 V8. The trans now will shift in and out of gear randomly while driving. The dealer re programed the TCU but that did not fix the problem. Has anyone experienced this problem.
  • cleve298cleve298 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Sport Trac with 98,000 miles, It has started to slip but only when the road is wet or snowy at first I thought it was the weather or road conditions.
    Is there a way to check the transmission to see if the transmission is going bad without paying a lot of money? The transmission fluid was changed at 50 K and is clean looking and does not smell burned. It has new tries It does not seem to slip when the road is dry. It does not shift hard or race between shifts. It seems like it is just loosing traction with the road, Is that possible?
    Thanks in advance.
  • chargersrlhchargersrlh Member Posts: 3
    I am experiencing the same problems. I have a 08 sport trac V6 5 speed trans., had 21 miles on it new, I now have 78k its my only vehicle, started having transmission problems around 76k, no other problems with truck, I take care of my truck no abuse and tranny starts slipping, trying to figure what to do now.
  • gary1982gary1982 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2007 Sport Trac and just started having transmission problems. I have 79k miles on it. What did you have to do to fix yours? Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Still have problems, have been told it's the shift package in transmission. A $400 part, not 100% sure it will fix the problem. Truck shifts great when I drive a bit faster when excelorating, slips when I get in slower traffic, plan on replacing part soon, put 20k miles after slipping started so far
    Also I had the computer reprogramed it seemed to work for about 2weeks and back to slipping
  • myredtruck07myredtruck07 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 sport trac, one of the solenoid on the trans. has small crack on it. Slow shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. When down shift or coming to a stop feels like I got rear ended. My truck has been kept up very well. The transmission fluid has been changed as well. This is the only vech. that I own. I am self employed and I really love this truck, and would love to get it repaired, at a reasonable price, so if there is anyone out there that knows of someone I can take it to please message me. June 26, 2013
  • wildbilljill2wildbilljill2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 explorer sport trac - 95K miles; Sometimes, when I come to a stop, the engine cuts off. If I try to start it in D, it cuts off again. I must put it in reverse, and drive backwards for a few feet, then put it in D and it will go. The check engine light comes on when this happens; however, when I have taken it to the Ford Dealership ( where I have an extended warranty) they say they cannot find anything wrong and nothng appears in the diagnostic report.