Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Air Conditioner and Heater Problems

Comments

• melanie18melanie18 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Ford Explorer—the a/c quit working replaced the blower motor resistor and it worked fine for about 3 weeks, started the same as in the beginning, would come on and off, then off, that is when I replaced the resistor—it didn’t work so cleaned the connections to it and worked for about 10 minutes—now it blows on low ac, very low air coming out and not at all on max,,what do I need to do now??
  • dgriffin75dgriffin75 Member Posts: 1
    I had this same problem. The valve rod snaps on to the plastic lever arm. The clips on the plastic lever arm have sheared off. If the plastic lever arm is still entact, you can attach the valve rod to it with a screw. It worked for me.
  • trixie2011trixie2011 Member Posts: 1
    There is a clicking noise coming from the blind door actuator we believe? The clicking starts when turning the temp control from cold to warm/hot. When it's on cold it does not click but it does when turned to warm. There is no heat in front but heat works in back seat.
  • muisenexmuisenex Member Posts: 1
    its probably your blended door actuator. i just had to replace mine in my 04 explorer. i found a video on youtube that showed me how to do it. the part cost me $40 and it took me about an hour.
  • fatdaddy5fatdaddy5 Member Posts: 1
    Muisenex,
    Can you post a link to that YouTube video please?
  • dxmagedxmage Member Posts: 1
    Yes, please post a link I have the exact same issue.
  • darrelddarreld Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a problem with my 2002 Explorer. I can't get any heat up through the defrost vents. The fan works find and II have opened the glovebox and verified that the vacuum controlled actuator is moving when the selector is changed but no change in airflow to the defroster vents. I guess it's starting to look like the mode door. Any advice?
  • robotechrobotech Member Posts: 1
    Haven't seen this one on here yet. The rear AC fan on my Explorer doesn't blow. Hasn't worked since I bought it. Just replaced the blend door actuator on the front to get heat, and remembered the back fan doesn't work. I checked the "Auxilary blower" fuse. It is "Good". There is no power to the Fan Motor at the connectors. Anybody know if there is a relay controlling this fan. Controls all light up like everything is fine, but no fan using either front or rear controls. Help!!!!!!
  • jazz2229jazz2229 Member Posts: 1
    hi i have the same problem with i 2003 ford explorer. were u able to fix it? n if so how did u fix it? i've been trying to fix it for a very long time but untill now i have not been able to. i will be waiting for ur responce thanks
  • eadams2eadams2 Member Posts: 3
    My Dad fixed it...he had to take the dash off to get to the piece he needed to replace, I believe a $70 plastic piece. It was no easy task. I can get more detailed info on how he fixed it and what part he replaced if you're interested. I no longer own the vehicle, however it was working find when we sold it.
  • mike636mike636 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and when the car heats up it will blow hot air but after about a minute or two the air starts getting colder and then blows only cold air - i turn the controller to cold and after about a minute i turn it back to heat and it will blow heat for about a minute and then go back to blowing cold air - any ideas what could be the problem. Thanks!
  • demetriusjdemetriusj Member Posts: 2
    Would you please be so kind as to ask your dad if he could provide me with the part number and description as well as any other info he would be willing to provide in order to replace the part.
  • demetriusjdemetriusj Member Posts: 2
    Having the exact same issue with my 03 Ford Explorer. Would greatly appreciate any info that you can provide as a solution for this problem.

Thanks!
    Demetrius "D"
  • eadams2eadams2 Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately, it's been so long ago he can't remember the part and we no longer have the receipt to check on the part number. He only recalls how much work it was removing the entire dash just to get to this tiny piece and that the piece he replaced was no bigger than a pencil eraser. Sorry we can't be of more assistance. Good luck!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It may be a faulty blend door or control for the blend door (I believe they are electric on this car, but not positive). But before you tear out the dash, check your coolant level. It's possible your coolant is low enough that it won't always go through the hoses to your inside radiator that delivers heat to the cabin..... Seen it before. And you'd better hope I'm right, cause that's very cheap. The other possibilities are not. :shades:
  • kxfkxf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 explorer, The a/c blows hot air on both settings also when vents are set for fresh air it also blows hot air i have had the a/c serviced 8mths ago the heaters work fine.
  • langworthy68langworthy68 Member Posts: 1
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140

Go to this site. I just fixed mine a few weeks ago. This is great step by step instuctions. The problem is the blend door actuator. I bought mine off ebay for $41. The model is a DORMAN 604-202 (at least that is the one for the 2002, go to the dorman website and look yours up).
  • robiengaithrobiengaith Member Posts: 1
    Will not go to hot, could not get to part, could not get dash out. Need help.
  • ctrejoctrejo Member Posts: 1
    my 1999 explorer blows cold air with the heater on, I clean the heater core an it has good flow on it, any advice???
  • folchibasfolchibas Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    Here's what's happening with mine. If I turn the heat all of the way up and leave the fan speed on low, then I'll get continuous, mostly hot air, which doesn't do much on really cold days. If I turn the fan speed up then the air gets cooler. Also, the temperature knob is hard to turn. I've checked under the glove box and all door mechanism seems to be functioning correctly.

Last year I would have to accelerate as fast as possible to get the heater working good enough. This year that doesn't do anything and the temperature gauge never goes above the halfway mark.

Any ideas??
    I would first check for low coolant in your system, radiator and bottle. It could be low.
  • folchibasfolchibas Member Posts: 2
    I've had both of those topped off for at least 6 months
    edited January 2012
    Ok. Then next, I'd consider a bubble in the system. If this is the 4.0L, I'm not positive, but they used to have a trouble spot up high in the engine where an air bubble could remain if the coolant were changed or ever got low. You bled it off with a little plug in the top of the intake manifold somewhere, can't remember. It's been a long time since I had that engine.

If that's not it, you may have a blockage in the lines somewhere else, crimped heater hose, obstruction in the heater core, but something is blocking your circulation of the hot water. There used to be a valve that was vacuum actuated in the engine compartment, near the firewall, if I recall that cut the water off when cooling was requested, and opened up the hose to the core when heat was needed. Not sure if they still used that in 01. Check the heater lines and see if they are all straight and clear. If so, take them off the nipples at the firewall, so the heater core is opened up, and try blowing through the core. I'll bet it's plugged up.

The bad news is, if that's the case, you may need to replace it - and that's an all day job, for a mechanic!

Failing all of that - the only things left would be a failing thermostat that isn't closing enough to heat up the engine, but you said the heat gauge is mid-range as it should be, right? That leaves the water pump, either being worn out so the impeller isn't impelling the water adequately anymore. Odd, but possible. Or, your belt is slipping enough to not turn the water pump fast enough to circulate your water through the heater system. Another messy job to check, and if I'm right, replace. If you check it, you may as well just replace it, it'll already be out.

Best of luck! It's a good car, even in the golden years.....
  • ridernlridernl Member Posts: 6
    So here's my problem. I have heat in the second row and all 3 speeds of it. But in the dash, I don't have any heat and I don't have the third of 4 speeds on the dial. 2 and 3 are the same. The front will blow, just not heat. There is a clicking sound when I put the temp dial up to the hot red tab. If I want to lose the clicking, I just return the temp dial back to just off the blue cold tab. It doesn't matter because I get the same cool air in both situations. It seems there is no resistance on the temp dial either. I'm not sure if there should be, but it spins around pretty easily. It also seems as though when the blower is on, it is inconsistently blowing....like it loses speed. Anybody got an idea on this one? Please advise....

Bob
    Body Control Module is looking more suspicious to me now. You have random electrical malfunctions. The resistance on the hot/cold knob will be negligable, because it's a reostat, electrical, moving a blend door, with another motor, so no resistance is normal. The clicking indicates a stuck switch or door under the dash in the system.
    The speed malfunction in the front blower switch could be the BCM again, a bad switch, or a bad fan motor. Hoping it's the motor, and very likely could be. But combined with the window issue, I'm liking the BCM more all the time. Has this car ever been flooded?
    No, not to my knowledge. I'm very green, where is this BCM located? Is it major work to replace? As for the stuck switch or door, what's the nest way to check that out? Thanks for your input....

Bob
  • drew1244drew1244 Member Posts: 1
    we are having trouble with heat in a 2006 ford explorer. it seems the back is heat is working, but it seems that the front heat is not. I have changed the thermostat, it didn't help. we have noticed some clicking under the dash. from what i have read in other posts some the dampers are not opening and closing. I have also read other posts stating this is could be an expensive propositions. some say yes some say no. can someone please tell me what i should be looking for and can a normal joe fix it. thanks for your help. :confuse:
    The BCM is in different locations on different years, but on yours I THINK it's on the driver's side, in the back, behind the panel in the cargo area. If it isn't, you may need to search for a Ford Shop manual online and find it that way. May be able to get a used one that could still be good and swap it out to see if that's it without spending a King's Ransom.
    If you have heat in the back, you have hot water, and the clicking under the dash usually indicates a stuck blend door. That's not good news, very expensive and difficult to find and fix, usually requires removing the unit under there. Sorry to give you bad news. Personally, I'd take it somewhere, unless you have unlimited patience, considerable mechanical ability, and lotsa tools.
    I appreciate all your help.

Cheers
  • sundaymoneysundaymoney Member Posts: 1
    I suddenly have had a problem with heater,it blows only cold air BUT when you put it on heat there is a clicking noise from inside dash. have got it all dismantled but i still cannot locate what needs to be replaced, also I would like to know what i go and ask for at parts store.

Any help wold be much appreciated as well as put problem to rest and most of all , (from my wife words) "please help its cold going into work"
  • booey1booey1 Member Posts: 3
    Not sure how accessible it is but your problem lies with the "Blend Door" OR "Blend Door Actuator"
  • booey1booey1 Member Posts: 3
    Upon further thought....... you need a bland door. the actuator is working, it's a motor that has a gear on it that inserts in to the blend door. The blend door is broken and thats why you hear a clicking, the clicking is the actuator that is turning (gears) but unable to move the blend door.
    To replace the blend door the heater case will have to be removed from the vehicle after the dashboard s removed & after the a/c system has been discharged & disconnected at the firewall. It's about a 6 hour job for a pro.
    Don't recommend you do this unless you are very well mechanically inclined.
  • djones04djones04 Member Posts: 2
    I hope you are still on this site as I need some more information on exactly where i am putting my hands in the dash..Uggg no heat, please help!!
  • djones04djones04 Member Posts: 2
    OMG you are awesome, thank you sooooo much for the details..i found it within 5 minutes...i have heat........i love this site..Girl Power Baby!!!
  • digihighdigihigh Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 had the exact same problem. The Ford dealer here wanted 7 hours labor to replace the whole bellows unit because they had to take out the dash. With this advice the repair took 15 minutes.
  • mchermokmchermok Member Posts: 3
    Hello!

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer fully loaded. It has the Climate control system, and when I turn on the heat using the AUTOMATIC button, instead of like, the FLOOR button, there is a fairly loud hum noise, and the electric system seems to bog down...if i hit the FLOOR button, it stops.... this all while i have the temp set at 90 degrees....seems to only occur when hitting the AUTOMATIC button.

the sound is kind of a low hum...almost like a soft noise a car horn would make if the battery was about dead....

Let me know what you think or if you need more info.

Thanks!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Most likely the bellows in one of the engine vacuum operated servomotors is failing (leaking).
    I kind of wondered if it was some kind of ' vacuum ' issue.... is it ok to drive for a while without fixing? as long as I don't use the AUTOMATIC function on the Heater controls?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I don't foresee any harm as a result.
    ok, thanks for answering my questions, one more :)

Is there anything I can do at home myself to pinpoint the issue, or test your theory of the "bellows in one of the engine vacuum operated servomotors"

Just wondering....

Thanks!
  • motomatt48motomatt48 Member Posts: 2
    What your describing is the exact same problem I have had on my personal 06' Explorer and on my work 07' Explorer. The blend door motor is broken. It has plastic gears inside that break for several siffferent reasons but usually it's from having the fan turned up while adjusting the temp. On both the 06' and the 07 (and even on the older generation) the blend door motor is located on the driver's side underneath the side paneling just in front of the center console (under the plastic right next to your right knee that runs along the fan, heat control and radio portion of the center console). Pull the plastic panel (the one between the center console and the carpet) off. The panel is secured with a large plastic push pin in the front near the gas pedal and with snap clips on the back. The blend door motor is a little plastic box about 3"X4"X1" big. It has 3 or 4 metric screws that secure it to the blend door box. They are a pain but can be taken out without tearing out the center dash plastic. Unplug the electrical connector, plug the new one in and make sure that the male plastic lug from the motor is lined up with the female receptacle in the blend door box and reinstall the screws. The part is relatively inexpensive through DORMAN automotive products (www.dormanproducts.com) at around $40 to $60 depending on exactly which one you need. Mine used Part #604-211 as did the 07' and an 05' I worked on. Hope that helped anyone else out.
  • mckee622mckee622 Member Posts: 1
    The air in my 2007 explorer will only blow through the floor vents. Even when I push the button on the control panel to switch to ceiling vents, It continues to blow through the floor vents. Help please!
  • seagypsy1seagypsy1 Member Posts: 1
    Starting to experience multiple problems - the digital display on the electronic climate control quit working, the outside temp / compass digital display will come on after driving for about 20 mins - sometime blinks for a while and various lights are starting to go out on the dash. Any advice on how to start fixing these problems?
    Similar problem to post 485, but in the back. It also could be the switch failing, I've seen both problems.....
  • pipefitter2010pipefitter2010 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem does your dad remember what that part was called my email is betbrianberry@yahoo.com. thanks
  • motomatt48motomatt48 Member Posts: 2
    blend door motor actuator... Dorman parts sells them. They're kind of vehicle specific depending on if you have electronic cabin temperature sensing or rear air, etc. You can order dirctly fron Dorman online (just search dorman parts) or any carquest. I'm pretty sure all other major parts suppliers sell dorman parts too.
  • hwdgailhwdgail Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Here's my situation: I have a 2003 Explorer. About 4 years ago, the AC wasnt blowing cold. I just kept adding freon every few months and it seemed to work fine. That last for a few years and now it doesnt blow cold at all. I had it diagnosed yesterday and they said it was the ac evaporator which needed to be replaced.

Because they have to remove the dash board, the labor is around $800, the evaporator $225.00, ac dryer $71.00, orifice tube $8.00, ac oil $10.00, ac recharge $ 80.00, plus the doors in the case are broken too. Total: $1200.00.

I am going to get a few more estimates, but here is my question: since the labor is a huge cost, is there anything else I should replace since my truck is 9 years old, as I do not want to have someone tell me next year that they have to replace something under the dash. I figure I should be proactive since they are ripping it apart anyway.

Thanks in advance.
    Hwdgail
  • fsaund752fsaund752 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Ford Explorer Limited. The ac works fine for a while then just seems to stop blowing. After a minute or two it come backs on. It will run awhile and then do the same thing. Any ideas? Dealer seems clueless.

Thanks
  • rlaurenzirlaurenzi Member Posts: 1
    Hello ryango I have the exact problem right now with my 2003 Explorer XLT. The passenger side AC works well and the rear AC as well, but not the driver side. Have you resolved the problem with yours and if so what was the fix?