Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I haven't really noticed a difference in noise level, but I also wouldn't say the Bridgestones were the quietest tires I've ever had. I haven't driven yet for extended stretches at high speed with the Yokahamas, but I have taken a couple of short test runs on the Interestate getting up to 75+ mph. As with cabinjj's experience with the Coopers, noise level seems most noticeable at somewhat slower speeds.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Most of the 08 Highlanders in my area have Toyo tires. I am not a big fan of them. You mentioned Michelins. Do you find them to be more quiet than the Toyos?

Has any one else decided to switch out the Toyo tires for something else?
  • cabinjjcabinjj Member Posts: 11
    My only experience with Michelins was on a 92 Cutlass Supreme Coupe. In the early 90's the 16 inch tires on cars started to appear. The Michelins were a speed rated, low profile tire and they were great and very quiet. The Toyo's I replaced them with were comparable in ratings but a hard tire. They were quiet but way too firm for my liking. I just hear that Michelins are popular. Find some Michelin men and women out there and ask them their recent experience with Michelins rather than taking my advice. I just regret not looking at them instead of the Coopers which are noisy at lower speeds. I keep hearing oem tires are junk no matter what brand. I have no data to back it up, just experience on several new cars. Does it make sense that tire manufacturers might mass produce lower quality tires at a lower cost for car manufacturers? There must be a tire expert out there who can dispute my gut feeling. Please do!! I would be delighted to hear the same Bridgestone tires that came on my 05 Highlander were lanquishing on the shelves of my local tire dealer. LOL
    I just drove from Massachusetts to Evansville,Indiana, via the same route as a year ago. I came back a different route, so I'll report mileage only for the 1100 miles on the way out to the Midwest.

March 2007 -- Bridgestone Duelers (tires that came with the '04 FWD 4-cylinder Highlander but tread still passed state inspection earlier in the month):
    (1) tank in town prior to trip -- 245.9 miles -- 22.8 mpg
    (2) via Taconic Parkway and Interstates to just northeast of Evansville -- 25.9 mpg

March 2008 -- Yokahama Geolandars (new in February)
    (1) tank in town prior to trip -- 246.2 miles -- 23.0 mpg
    (2) via Taconic Parkway and Interstates to just northeast of Evansville -- 26.0 mpg

It's hard to say how close the mileage is with the two sets of tires. Driving speed would not be much different, but average temperatures may have been a bit colder in 2007 than in 2008. In 2007 I had two passengers for 4/5 of the trip (each maybe 175 pounds) while in 2008 I was by myself but with more cargo than the previous year. In 2007 the trip was pretty much precipitation-free, while in 2008 I had heavy rain for about 2 or 3 hours.

Consider it to be virtually the same mileage with the new tires?
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    Herzogtum...I've been waiting for your appraisal. Can you give your subjective impressions of the ride smoothness and noise, as well as any handling responses (wet/dry, cornering). I'm looking at possibly getting some soon. Thanks! Regards, BGood
    I'm pleased with the handling. Cornering may be a bit stiffer than the Bridgestones. Wet traction continues to impress me as better than the old tires even when they were brand new. I saw a lot of rain (8 inches in 30 hours), but no snow on this trip. Drove only once before the trip in snow, but not much of it. It was enough though to notice an improvement over the Bridgestones.

Road noise was most noticeable on barely damp blacktop, either just as rain was beginning, or after it had stopped and almost all the water had evaporated. Otherwise it was noticeable to about the same extent as the Bridgestones on certain surfaces. Lynch Road in Evansville (off of I-164) is the major example, which is noisy in any vehicle because, I think, of how the concrete surface was poured. Not exactly grooved, but something similar.

I think road noise in general is about the same as with the Bridgestones. The Highlander with either set of tires is quieter than some other vehicles I have owned. One bit of evidence for this is that I listened to a German radio play on cassette tape a couple of times during the trip. I had bought this many years ago, thinking it would help pass the time while traveling. But road noise in a '79 Honda and '87 Chevy Nova was so great that my wife and I couldn't hear a good percentage of the play well enough to make out the words. No such problem this time.

I believe I mentioned before that the ride seems to be a bit stiffer than the original tires. I prefer a bit of stiffness, so I'm happy with the ride.

One tire to avoid might be Hankooks. A friend of mine in Indiana just put a set of their all-season radials on his Subaru Legacy wagon. First time I rode in it he asked me right away if I liked the aircraft noise. I asked him if he had a hole in his muffler or exhaust. That's what it sounded like to me, but it was just road noise from these tires.
    Thanks Herzogtum! I was specifically looking at the Yokohamas as they get very good survey results and reviews on TireRack, even better than the Bridgestones.
    I'm glad my comments were of use. My apologies for misspelling the brand name. It is Yokohama with the second vowel being 'o'. I also have noted that Geolandar is often misspelled in on-line forums, but the last two letters are 'ar'.

When I bought the tires in February, there also was a 30-day money-back guarantee offered from the manufacturer. If that still is in effect, you have a way out if you buy them and really don't like them for some reason.
    Update on Hankook comment.... The main reason for road noise likely was a faulty wheel bearing. Now that this has been repaired, I'll ask for a report on noise level next time he goes on the road.
  • jackmick656jackmick656 Member Posts: 61
    I am one of the few people who like the Goodyear Integrity tires. They came OE on my 2003 HL and I now have 35,000 on them and I should reach 40,000. These tires have never needed balancing and they are not noisy. I live in the low desert of So Cal where it rarely rains so road conditions are not a factor. I plan to buy another set when the time comes, $80 each at Walmart, Where am I going wrong?
  • newtexannewtexan Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I should warn you I have overresearched and overanalyzed this topic already and posted in 4 forums before finding this one! I am so TIRED of thinking about this, I just want to make a decision!

I bought this 2002 Highlander 2WD in April when I moved to Houston, Texas. Had only 39K miles on it (so it seemed gently driven) and 41Kish now. It will never go off-road if I can help it and I prefer "regular" streets to highway driving. The dealer told me the tires should get "15 to 20K more miles" but that's not how it turned out. I went to a Discount Tire to get one tire patched when I discovered two nails in it -- he told me the front tires "definitely" need replacement (I did the "quarter test" myself later and they do fail it) , and since the nails are in a rear tire, I'm going to replace all four.

But which ones????? I started out convinced to do Michelins -- either Cross Terrain or LTX. Then I got interested in Goodyears -- (not the OEM crappy Integritys on there now) -- but perhaps the Fortera TripleTred or Assurance ComfortTred? (I was all hepped up on the Fortera Silent Armor but it apparently does not come in my size -- 225/70r/16.)

I've read all the Tire rack reviews, been to ToyotaNation, talked to a Michelin phone rep (who told me the Cross Terrains were being "replaced" with the Latitude Tour and I should wait till mid-August to buy them...????)

My priorities are traction on wet roads (snow/ice not a fear here in hot Houston, but the approaching Hurricane Dolly rain certainly is) -- and as quiet a ride as possible. I don't want to cheap myself out, but I don't want to spend top dollar either. I'd like to form a "relationship" with a place that I can keep going to for balancing and rotating, and oil changes, etc. There are Discount Tires and NTBs near me, closest is a Goodyear facility. I'm assuming -- correct me if I'm wrong -- that a Goodyear dealer is only going to push Goodyears and not any other make. I plan to ride the Highlander to death (i.e. keep it several years) so I want GOOD tires on it, not just the cheapest I can get away with. I'm not working right now so I don't take a $700+ purchase lightly.

Also...should I pop for the Road Hazard policies? As I now have two nails in one tire, it does resonate with me ...

THANK YOU for all advice and reading all this! Speedy replies most appreciated!
  • my_mr2my_mr2 Member Posts: 23
    Look at the Kumho Solus KR21 or Yokohama Avid TRZ, best buy for the $$$ I am still torn as to which ones I am going to get by May of 09, but will jump on the first rebate deal that comes up...... Friends and family have had tried both them on mini vans and Suvs, and they love them.. Either one will do the job well...
    I've had the Yokohama Geolandars now for over 4 months (2wd '04) and still am pleased with them. A friend of mine just bought a new RAV4 and it came from the factory with Geolandars. I find this odd because, when I was looking for tires, my dealer didn't carry them.
    Just ordered a set of G051's for our '04 AWD from Tirerack. The reviews on their site looked pretty good. Any others here, please chime in with your experiences. 'herzogtum71'...you out there? cabinjj? homershannon?Thanks! Regards, BGood
  • familymechanicfamilymechanic Member Posts: 2
    One of my many sisters bought a new 2006 Highlander, 2wd. They have always complained of some noise in the back that nobody could ever find. This thing only has about 30k on it, and she is the original owner. She had a left rear blowout one day last week, with a very strange hole in the tire, that resembled a bullet blast from inside the tire. I was moving the tire from the back hatch to the garage, when I felt something big and heavy rolling around inside the tire. After breaking one side of the tire, I was able to retrieve what looked like some type of self threading body bolt. It was a sort of green, about 5 inches long, 1/2" diameter, with a large washer head on it. The head must have wedged it self against the inside of the steel wheel, and when she simultaneously hit a pothole, it blew a hole thru the tire like a grenade. The bolt was quite scuffed up, and by the looks of the thing, it has every characteristic of any object that would have been rolling around the inside of the tire for 30,000 miles. She has called Toyota, and they have never called her back, not that anyone on the phone would believe her, and she is reluctant to call an attorney. I think they at least owe her a set of tires. Anyway, my question to you is; "have you ever heard of this, and how often does it happen, and I wonder if it was some sort of factory sabotage, or resentment on the part of some employee?
  • familymechanicfamilymechanic Member Posts: 2
    If everything works good, and then you have trouble within 10,000 miles, then you need to go back to Toyota original pads. It sounds like you have a heat and dust build-up problem due to non-compatible materials in the pad composition. I know this sounds a little far fetched, but I can tell you this from personal experience. Having owned quite a few Toyotas, and 3 of my current 6, have between 200 to 350k, and I do have one with a little over 500k, and that one has only had the calipers rebuilt once, and the master cylinder and lines are original. I learned a few lessons about 10 years ago with aftermarket pads, and since I went back to oem pads, things have been problem free.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    The only thing that should be inside a tire is a valve stem base and a tire sensor monitor. The bolt--from your description--seems too large to be part of the tire sensor monitor unit.
    I have a 2005 Highlander 2WD with the 225/70 -16, and use snow tire in the winter.

I needed fair weather tires, for Hwy use only with fuel mileage, comfort, and noise as the priority. I ended up with the Kumo Solus KR21.

I like the price (under $120 installed for each tire), the warranty (80,000 miles with road hazard), and the noise levels. Oh and they are way better that the O.E. tires.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • rainadograinadog Member Posts: 1
    I just bought new tires for my 2006 Highlander and the tire store suggested putting 235 tires instead of the 225. Does this make a difference? My Toyo seems to drive very different with no play whatsoever in steering.
    I am not sure what affect this may have on your Toyo. Larger tires may change speedometer reading to be off just a little. I live in Montana where we drive in a lot of snow and ice in the winter and I have noticed ice and snow build up between the rear tires and springs. Larger tires would mean less clearance but probably not be a big deal. I think larger tires cause speedometers to read slower mph. I noticed a 5 mph difference on a truck I put larger tires on. I was going 55 on speedometer but 60 actual speed. Yours might read 2 to 3 mph off. Someone out there might have exact difference. Not an expert on this for sure!! If it drives and handles well, you made a good decision to go with larger tires. Only time and Toyota will tell you if larger tires will affect drive train, transmission, AWD, etc.
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    the difference in this case is very, very small. the 235 tires will be a bit wider (10mm, to be precise). The issue to be concerned about is that as the width changes, the height of the tire (sidewall) changes too, even tho the # after the 235/ will be the same.

That number (the xx in 235/xx) is really a RATIO, not an exact dimension. So as the width gets wider, the sideway get taller if the same # or ratio is used. Therefore a 235/40 is a bit wider AND taller than a 225/40 even tho they are both /40. ( i use /40 as an example; I don't know what the # is on your highlander)

It's the change in sidewall height that can cause the issues with speedometer accuracy.

However, in this case the difference is so small that you really won't notice any change at all. A change of up or down 10mm is almost always of no concern.

If you want to play around a bit, tires.com has a calculator to see what happens as you change tire sizes. It even shows you how much your speedometer will be off.
    try it here: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

years ago I moved my camry from 195 all the way to 225 (a 30mm increase!), and in doing so also changed the sidewall # so as to keep the sidewall height the same and avoid any speedometer issues.

The advantages of wider tires are better traction in all conditions (simply more rubber on the road). The downside is that more rubber on the road can hurt gas mileage (higher rolling resistance). The other issues about wear and tear and torque and all that are largely inconsequential considering all the real factors that apply. I have had the +30mm tires on my camry for over 200,000 miles (not the same set mind you!) with no problems whatsoever.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The advantages of wider tires are better traction in all conditions

Well, if you live in snow country (like Montana), you may find that a skinnier tire digs through the snow down to the pavement better. More rubber from a wider tire can cause you to float over the snow and lose traction.
    Thanks Kenlw !! I knew there was someone out there that is far more knowledgeable about this subject than me. That is what is great about this forum. I did not clarify, and should have, that the tire size change on my truck was significant. Completely different rims and tires. I apologize for that boo boo.

Appreciate Kenlw responding and pointing out that there is not much difference in these tires affect on the mph and vehicle in general. I will be more careful in future posts.
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    Yes, steve, the larger footprint of a wider tire DOES reduce the pressure (caused by the weight of the vehicle) since it is spread over a larger area (footprint). The change in this case would be about 4 sq in of contact area assuming a 12" long footprint.

But the tread pattern will negate this in the case of liquids like water. Which for us here is a bit more common than snow......;) and beach sand is a solid that we would really not dig down thru!
    Update on Kumo Solus KR21 tires in the 225/70/16... Have over 500 miles on them now, and wife drove in black ice condition in the Milwaukee area yesterday. We a 2005 2wd V6 HL.

Very nice tire for noise, hwy comfort, and fuel mileage. They also preformed well in black ice conditions. Wife commented about slight slip on take off in traffic, but would grab in 1/2 rotation with traction control, while others in traffic could not get move and would start going sideways. Stopping and turning was not an issue.

Vary Happy with selection... Did I mention they are only $120 each installed.
    Update on Kumo Solus KR21 tires in the 225/70/16... Have over 2000 miles on them now, and we drove in black ice, snow, and rain conditions in the Milwaukee area. We have a 2005 2wd V6 HL.

Very nice tire for noise level, good hwy comfort, good fuel mileage, and very good in bad weather conditions. We also like the free road hazard that Kumo gives.

Vary Happy with selection... All for under $480 out the door.
  • btacbtac Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to get replacement tires online for my 08 Highlander and everywhere I look, they don't have the P245/55R19?

Does anyone know why it is so hard to find? I have 20k miles on the original Toyos and while I love the car, I'm not impressed with the tire tread.
    TireRack has 'em...only 1 manufacturer tho..Bridgestone Dueler HL's.
  • cap2008cap2008 Member Posts: 11
    I have 16,000 miles on my 08 Sport and need to get some m/s tires. It snows where I live (and there are no flat roads) and the Toyo tires that came on it are worthless. I would like Michelin LTX m/s tires, but can't find any. I want to change out the 19" rims and go with the 245/65-17 tire (oem for the base Highlander). Can anyone tell me if this is going to work or what information I need to get to make the determination? I usually get my tires at Sears and always get a tire with a mileage warranty, which I need because I go through a set of tires every year (lots of driving on curvy roads). Help!

PS - I am not impressed with Bridgestone.

Thanks.
    Tirerack does show the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 for $160 in 245/55-19. These are snow tires. Driving 20,000 miles per year, would these hold up? I don't want to have two sets of tires?
    OK, so I finally hear back from Toyota that yes, I can change from the 19" to the base model tire 245/65-17. I go to Sears this morning to have a tire repaired (small leak in center of tire tread) and get them rotated. They tell me that they are too worn and legally they can't rotate or repair, so they put on my spare at no charge. I ask about new rims and tires and they tell me that they can't change them out because the sticker on the driver's side door states that the tires for that particular car are the 19's. The tech says that there could be a safety issue, due to weight, etc. Then she checks the vehicle weight for both the base model and the Sport and they are the same. She then calls her manager who laughs and states he is having the same problem with his vehicle and he just changed out tires and rims for his neice. He tells her it is OK. So I pick out the cheapest rim ($100 each) and the Michelin XC LT4 (which I have on my 01 Highlander and my husband has on his 04 Tundra -$180/tire - great tire in snow). Grand total, $1437, which incluedes a lug set and replacement rubber parts needed to transfer the tire pressure sensors, balance and alignment.

They will be installed next week. I will post back with results.
    PS - if you go to the link below and plug in 245/55-19 and 245/65-17 it will show you the difference in the tires, which is not much. My overall diameter will change by -.07, which means that if my speedometer says I am going 65, I will really be going 64.84mph. What a great tool.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
  • houston_manhouston_man Member Posts: 34
    I thought I would pass along our experience with the OEM tires on our 2008 Toyota Highlander LTD 2WD. They were Toyo A20 245/55 R19s. I had them rotated religiously at 5,000 mile intervals at the same time as the oil change. Amazingly after only 15,000 miles, the tread wear bars were beginning to show. The alignment had been checked at 10K, so I was reasonably certain that it was not the culprit. Earlier posts in this thread had comments about how poor the OEM tires were, and I wholeheartedly agree!!

Long story short, I just replaced them with Hankook 235/55 R19, Optimo H725s. These are 80,000 mile Korean made tires with a significant tread depth. We just drove up to Texas A&M from Houston and the ride was as good as the original Toyo tires. We had several different road surfaces, from Interstate to FM (Farm to Market) roads. No appreciable change in road noise noted. The reviews I found were very favorable, and my price came out to about 150.00/tire, vs some of the higher priced 19" Michelin's and other brands. So far, I have been satisfied, but will post any adverse information about them if I see it.
  • hlanderhlander Member Posts: 31
    I bought Brand New Highlander Hybrid on March 2008. Now I drove almost 10 months 12500 miles. Last week, I made Oil Change & Tire Rotation, 3rd time, and garage mention me about tire tread. I was surprise again. Last 6 yrs ago, I had had to change my tire on 2002 4 Runner,which I trade in, at 16500 miles, warranty says 60,000 miles.

Is this the ordinary thing that Brand New Toyota Car come with Toyo Tire and they last just only 15000 miles? It is Toyo Open Country A20, 245/55 R19.

First I called Toyota Dealer where I bought my car, they said they do not carry Toyo Tire. I read my warranty for the Toyo Tire and I called them, the lady from customer relationship department help me a lot but the problem is what so ever the name she gave me of Tire Whole Sale and Garage whose are Toyo Tire Dealer in her list said the same thing to me which is " We no longer carry Toyo Tire anymore".

I went to Toyo.com too, I saw the list of Toyo Tire Dealer which are given by the lady but there is no cooperation.

I have to change the tire anyway because there are snow in our Area. But, I'm a little bit of upset about how Toyota & Toyo Tire play game on Royal Customer.

And I read the posts above, if somebody get 245/55 R19 of other Brand, pls let me know.

Thanks.
    Have the dealer check the alingment your toe-in may be off. A vehicle will ride nice and true if the toe-in is off, but the tires will rub off quick.. I hope the dealer will not give you the run around on checking the alingment with worn tires.
    Thank my_mr2. All of 4 tires are wear out evenly. Those are wear out by 4/32 ~ 5/32 on all tires within 10 months, 12500 miles. Any way, I will ask dealer to check that one when I do my inspection next week.

I almost give up to get some warranty coverage from Toyo Tire. Today, I have to drive down to other side of town where representative told me. When I got there, they said they are not Toyo Tire Dealer and they didn't carry it. I don't understand why Toyo tire play like this.
  • houston_manhouston_man Member Posts: 34
    Go to the Toyo website, and call their direct customer service number. They have a "goodwill" policy that I just found out about regarding OEM tires. They will instruct you on how to get partially reimbursed for the wear and to obtain replacements. My Toyota dealer was unaware of it, and besides, they don't have a Toyo factory rep.
    Thanks for suggestion houston man. Did you claim for "goodwill" policy? If so, could you tell me how to do that please.

I called Toyo Tire customer service number. There is only one lady who answer the phone because I called several times.

First, she took my information then filed in their system. She gave me one name and address. It was in their Toyo Tire Website as dealer. I called to make an appointment and explain about the tires. He said he is not Toyo Tire Dealer and he do not carry Toyo Tire anymore.

I called her back, she gave me another name on the web. I called but got the same return.

I called again on next day, she told me to drive in, not to make appointment. I dropped in that store, I got the same answer but manager came out and looked at the tires and suggested me to drive a little bit more instead of making a phone call to Toyo Tire.

I called her back again and she gave me another name which is little far from our area but I drove down there. I got the same story. They all are on the list of Toyo Tire Website as Toyo Tire Dealer but all have one same answer that they are not.

I don't know who play the game, may be I'm so dump.

Last guy measure the depth, it's 4/32 ~ 5/32 on all tire. He suggested me to drive little more miles and then called back to Toyo Tire. He told me that most of the Tire Warranty start cover when it reach to 2/32.

Now I look on the net and make some calls, I found out there are only two choices for me:

Toyo Open Country A20 ( I will not use Toyo anymore) and
    BridgeStone Dueler.

Anybody know other brand available?

Thanks.
  • fraz_manfraz_man Member Posts: 1
    Wow hlander, you are a patient guy. Don't think I would have put up with all that. Not sure where you are, but I am in Vancouver Canada, on the north shore hill, am at 19,000km, so about 12,000 miles and my same tyres Toyo 245/55 19 are worn out as well. Couldn't drive uphill in the snow, but that was due to several reasons with 2008 HH ...

Assuming you are talking All Season, and not Snow Tires, the 19in RIMS are unique and limit supply and manufacturers. You can switch tire sizes to 245/65 R17, but that may be risky and not sure how brake calipers would line up etc etc.

I have looked at Toyo (the OEM Toyo tyres are lousy, but Toyo do make other good tyres warranty to 100,000km - check their website) and Bridgestone have a 19 suitable as well. I do not have my docs with me for the little research I did, but will share when I get to them.

I am going to try and tough it out a bit more with the exisiting ones (i had mine rotated and aligned at Toyota dealership at the proper intervals, but who knows if they really did it, I should have chaulked my tyres!?), but let me know what you decide. Problem is I am leasing (1st of a 4 year) my 2008 HH, so am wary to go overboard on tires knowing i also have to get snow tires for next year so i am not stuck in my driveway for 2 weeks!

Good Luck, Bonne Chance, Buena Suerta -
    I just want to know how they play the game. Like I said before, when I bought 4 Runner 2002 (Brand New), last 6 yrs ago, OEM tire also worn out at about 16000 miles. Both, HH and 4 Runner, came with Tire Warranty for 60,000 miles. I didn't play the game last time but this time I want to know that Toyota play that kind of game to their customers or just my bad luck. I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania of USA. We have a lot of up and down roads. But when I changed new tire, they last for 45000 to 55000. Tire center told me that we could have up to 45000 miles for our normal daily commute if we didn't use lots of braking and rush start up.
    I have Honda Civic and my bro in law has Honda Pilot, both OEM tire have had to change around 30000 miles. A lot better than Toyota OEM tire.

I rotate tires of all my cars at 5000 miles interval.

Thank Fraz Man for share with me. I will update about new tire when I got change.
    After ordering 17" aftermarket rims for my 08 Sport, I was very disappointed to find out that they did not fit. One Toyota dealer in my area is telling me that no 17" rims will fit because of the caliper, another dealer is telling me that 17's will fit, but they must be factory. Apparently the base and limited models can switch out, but the Sport can't because of the braking system. Talk about frustration! The installer said the 17's just barely rubbed and that 18's will fit. If I can find a decent tire to go with it, I might try them.
  • TekinFamilyTekinFamily Member Posts: 1
    After reading multiple threads related to the factory installed TOYO 19" tires on the 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport and Limited models, we realized we had been fortunate to put close to 32k miles on our 19" TOYO Open Country tires. By then the rear tires were unsafe due to severely worn tread. One thing we were certain of - Not another TOYO would go on our Toyota Highlander. And, after reading the bad reviews on the Bridgestone 19", we bit the bullet and downsized to the 17" to accommodate the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV. Word of caution: It is extremely important the right 17" wheel is selected for the 2008 Toyota Highlander. We did NOT go with the $300+ Toyota OEM wheel. Instead, we selected one of two newer models by Granite Alloy tested on the 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport and priced around $139 each. Although we were not happy in having to fork over $1,500 for wheels and tires for a vehicle we've driven only 15 months, we know it was the only solution for us to be able to purchase quality tires.
    I'm in Massachusetts. In your situation I would first file a complaint with the regional Better Business Burea. They can tell you the history of complaints against the company and if the company has a satisfactory record for resolving the complaints. In Mass. we also can file complaints with state Attorney General's Office. If they get enough complaints, they will act though it's not a quick process. Maybe you have a similar government agency in Pennsylvania?
    Thanks for suggestion "herogtum71". I will find out what could I do. I will start with BBB.

By the way, I just got the letter from Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.,Inc. concern of Third Row seat Belt Buckle Brackets of 2008 Highlander. It said because that third row seat belt fail to conform to specific portions of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety standard.
  • derekgaddyderekgaddy Member Posts: 32
    Recently replaced my Goodyear Integrity's (not a bad tire but basketball like at 38k miles). I upgraded to Michelin XC LT4's (available at Sears only). I did a lot of research and narrowed it down to this tire. They are a bit more expensive but safer than a passenger tire, ride is about the same as the cushy Integrity's and they come with a 65k warranty. From my research 65K + is attainable with these tires. In the tire business I think you get what you pay for. My .02
  • talen316talen316 Member Posts: 32
    Houston Man - thanks for posting.

Did you get any professional advice one way or another regarding the change in tire size from the 245/55/19 down to the 235/55/19 ?

The Discount Tire spec compare tool shows the 235 size to be smaller in sidewall (-.22"), section width (-.4"), diameter (-.43") and circumference (-1.36") vs the 245.

I'm curious if you received any advice as to how these differences would affect vehicle performance and safety.

Thanks
    Recap: Crap Toyo tires wore out at 16,000 miles, ordered 17" rims/tires from Sears that didn't fit. They really went the extra mile, made phone calls, and tried to make the rims work. We ended up ordering the same rim in 18", not knowing if they would fit either. After much agony waiting for that phone call, my car was ready. I got 245/60-18 tires, Michelin MTX M/S. The difference on the tire calculator is not enough to worry about. Get this, Sears had them listed at $246 per tire, but I found them on special at Tirerack for $129 each. Sears price matched, but added shipping cost so I got the tires for $145 each. I am so happy to be riding on safe tires again. Let it snow!!!!

By the way, I really learned a lot on this forum. Thanks.
    Dear Cap2008, how much did you pay for your 18" Rim? Did you trade in with your 19" rim? I may follow your path. But I will wait some more weeks. I reported to bbb.org last Monday and I'm waiting for the reply. I will update more later.

I tried to write in Consumer Reports Forum but that was only for their subscribers.
  • HoundDoggieHoundDoggie Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the heads up on the 17 rims... I was just ordering from TireRack... but when I measured I thought they might rub... it was also hard to find a rim with a +35mm offset..... I will try to find 18's.
    Did you use the 35 offset? or what actual size did you buy.... I suspect it was 18 x 7.5 with a 40 offset.

I've been talking with Toyota Engineering in Japan via a friend over there and this is a HUGE problem that they WILL NOT discuss publically... it seems Bridgestone make promises on releasing more tires but never came through....
    NOTE - Avoid the Bridgestone Duelers.... they are as bad as the Toyo Open Countries. :P
    I went to Sears looking for the cheapest rim I could find. My Highlander is dark gray and I happened to find a "gun metal" rim for $119.98.