Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Geo Metro Transmission Questions

2»

Comments

• Options
    mlanahanmlanahan Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for help with the Geo. I replaced both capacitors in the tcm and it fixed the problem with the transmission. The two that were burnt where c3 and c5. Again thank you for your help.
  • Options
    joe378joe378 Member Posts: 15
    The factory manual that I have has no mention of any reference voltage or checks for that, the only procedure it has for the speed sensor is the resistance check, I saw your last post, glad to see this solved the problem.
  • Options
    I am very glad to hear this, my metro was going through the same thing, the trans would work some days then would not the next day, I bought a used TCM and then it worked as soon as I put it in, then the next morning, would not work then a few hours later it worked then eventually failed all together, After I replaced the C-3 capacitor, the trans has performed consistently as it should without any problems. Glad I could help. My C-5 must have still been good in my TCM.
  • Options
    radiskullradiskull Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

The mechanic is trying to rip me off and says it'll cost $500 to fix the TCU. The car stays in 3rd gear and sometimes will shift automatically. I don;t know what a TCU should look like and where it would be located any help or advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    radiskullradiskull Member Posts: 2
    Could you help me repair my TCU?
  • Options
    Maybe, What kind of car do you have? year? make? model? get back with me.
  • Options
    radiskull, I might be able to help you with your trans problem, Do not pay $500.00 yet, I might know what is wrong. it might only cost you a $1.50 plus a little inconvenience just finding the component to repair the TCU. What is the year, make and model?
  • Options
    richardsonsdrichardsonsd Member Posts: 1
    will an engine and transmission from a 1993 geo storm go into a 1997 geo metro?
    Please Help.
  • Options
    According to my research, a 1993 Isuzu Stylus will accept a 1993 Geo Storm engine and nothing else. Is the engine in the Storm a SOHC or DOHC?
  • Options
    dgregordgregor Member Posts: 3
    Think I have a similiar problem. I had to tow my (auto)Metro, and now it shifts up and down intermittently. I have a '94 Metro, and have no idea what or where the TCM is so I can look for burnt caps. Thx.
  • Options
    FIRST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! Not sure about a '94 but, look under the dash to the right of the steering column, it should look about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Two 10 MM size bolts holding it in place, remove it, unplug it, carefully pry it open and look for any burned capacitors or also look for a little bit of fluid about the amount of a tear drop coming out of a capacitor. If so replace that capacitor, it be okay to replace every capacitor, I think there is only three, take it to a Radio Shack to get the correct ones.
  • Options
    Keep this in mind too dgregor, the caps might not look burned the way you might think, the TCM is held in place on its side next to the steering column, so when you remove it and break it open lay the circuit board down flat and see if any fluid comes out of a capacitor, it will not be very much, but also, these capacitors only cost about $1.00 each just go ahead and replace all of them. Remember to disconnect the battery first before fooling with the TCM.
  • Options
    BTW my GEO still shifts like a new one. Hope I didn't jinx myself. Ha
  • Options
    dgregordgregor Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. Found it, the caps look like new. Read about adjusting the cable, it definitely affected it, but still not right(but better). Have tried 3 times to pass emissions, and no dice. The idle is too high, won't adjust any lower, and timing is set right. Garage says it has to come down, but I turned in the screw all the way, and it only came down about 100 rpms... :(
  • Options
    unrealcatunrealcat Member Posts: 1
    Would somebody be so kind to tell me how do I know which kind of standard transmission I likely have in my 00 chevy Metro? Is a 5 speed, but out of that I don't know more. I'm having problems with 2nd shift; it slips out if I'm not holding the stick. Which brings another question: Can I fix only 2nd shift or do I need to overhaul all the transmission? Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you for your time!
    C Camero
  • Options
    jpmedic65jpmedic65 Member Posts: 1
    Will the manual transmission from a 94 Metro fit my 98 Metro?
  • Options
    notsowiseonenotsowiseone Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, I have a 1997 geo metro 1.3 litre and I've just replaced the clutch on it. Now before I started working on the car, I checked to see if everything was in order and the shifter was shifting a definite 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th ,5th and reverse. Now that the tranny is back on and the shift linkage and supporter are hooked up it seems as though the shift linkage got longer, for example neutral is where 3rd should be, and reverse is nowhere to be found, any help would be greatly appreciated, and the sooner the better, because I'm going to be bringing it into the shop at school on Monday if it's not fixed by then, but I would rather not do that. Thanks.
  • Options
    Richard123vmtRichard123vmt Member Posts: 6
    Regards original post, let me guess, it's a convertible ? A 22 year old metro is difficult to run even for a mechanic. I wouldn't expect much from Pep Boys but a brush off. If Midas says the CC is okay Yiou should ask them about the code. Sometimes there a a false reading. If you bought it from a dealer maybe they can help you out again.