Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Engine Break In

2»

Comments

• alanrosemanalanroseman Member Posts: 23
    Mind you. I'm not complaining. I didn't buy the G35 with fuel economy in mind. I boughtg it for performance, safety and stellar good looks.....

I'm okay with a 306 HP rocket delivering 18 mpg on the highway at around 80 mph.
  • wes_888wes_888 Member Posts: 38
    Hey guys -- what should be the "allowable" top speed during the break in period? I read the manual, it only says not to go over 4000 rpm... nothing about top speed.

Say I was driving 140-150km/h during gradual acceleration and not going over 4000 rpm.. is that okay?
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I think 130 should be fine. :P
  • miamishapsmiamishaps Member Posts: 15
    Not sure if this was already posted but these highway mpg estimates are at 55mph. From what I understand all these values will now be recorded at true speeds, ie. 65mph which will cut down on the mileage but give you more legit estimates. My car has a 1000 miles and im getting 20 on the nose.
    I haven't done any calculation off the gallons in/miles out for about a week and a half now, but I'm back to my 'spirited' yet reasonable driving habits and I'm in the same range.
    Estimate according to the car is 19.9. :)
  • alanrosemanalanroseman Member Posts: 23
    Hi again guys. I'm really not sure I ever make it to an average of 19 MPG. I have about 5K on my 2007 35X.

However, I can't say I bought a G35 for the economy of it. It's a beast right out of the box. we also have a new Accord, V-6, 240 HP. Gets better mileage than the infinity, 22 - 23 Highway, but, you're driving in an Accord!

I'll take the few MPG less for the sheer fun of the G35.

My still and only issue are rattles in the dash......drives me nuts every time.

Alan
    I don't have any rattles, but if there is a temp change occurring after just turning on the heat, I hear a slight sound behind the center stack... sounds a little like sand pouring through a rain stick.
    It doesn't happen very often and it's only when the car is cool and the heater is heating it up inside.

My other rattle is not the car's fault.
    At night or on cloudy days, my sun glasses are in the overhead holder... and they rattle. Drives me nuts.

I agree... I bought this car for all it offered.
    I wouldn't have bought it if it was only getting 7 mph, but I'm super happy with the car, and the balance it offers on MPG vs Performance.

Oh, and now that you're an owner... it's Infiniti, not infinity.
    ;)
  • kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    My salesman indicated to go ahead and drive as normal. But he stated if during the break-in, if there were to be a lot of highways miles, then avoid the Cruise Control. He said the engine will break in best if there is variety to the driving speed. Whereas the Cruise Control would tend to keep things too steady.
  • nycg35xnycg35x Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2007 black/charcoal G35X. Had 32 miles leaving the lot, around 450 right now. Most are highway, some in Manhattan. Used cruise a little on the highway, but that lasts literally a minute or two until I can't help myself downshift into fourth and just fly. I have gotten it up to 5000 RPM, so hopefully I haven't done damage...but I'm varying highway speeds and RPM's, so I'm not too worried.

Getting right at 20 MPG, only fill up was mid-grade, left the lot with a full tank. Salesman said use 87, but after reading all this, I'm putting in premium from here on in.

If you're still reading...are those inputs in the center console really video for the main screen??

Man, I love this car.
  • kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    > are those inputs in the center console really video for the main screen?

Yes. You can connect a portable DVD-Player or a Video iPod, and go into the Aux mode.

The cable must have a video line. I got my iPod cable for around $10.00 including shipping on either Amazon or Ebay (can't remember offhand). But to view anything, you car must be in Park and the EMERGENCY BRAKE must be on, otherwise you will only hear audio. Took me to search this forum to find out about the brake part.
  • allbizallbiz Member Posts: 11
    I just picked up the G35X 2008 with 11 mile son it. When I drove it home there was smoke coming form the engine/hood. the dealer said it was nrmal as they put some knid of chemical on the engine to protect it on the oversees shipment. Is this true or a bunch of [non-permissible content removed]?
  • jebelljebell Member Posts: 54
    When I picked up my 08 G35X with 12 miles on it there was no smoke. I have never heard of this and never had it happen.
    Yes and No...

I also had 11 miles on mine... 10.5 to be exact.
    I also had no smoke, but I also had a 90 minute ride home, so it may have smoked and stopped before getting home.
    There is a small amount of protective oil film on the engine upon delivery. It burns off quite quickly. Over the past year, I've only seen one other person report smoke from the new engine. His dealer gave him the same answer.

Now, if it's raining or if the roads are really wet, that's another story. In a heavy rain, when you come to a stop, you'll be amazed at just how much steam comes out of the hood. I actually filmed it once with my cell phone. It was making an awful hissing noise and the steam smelled like smoke more than steam... I though she was gonna blow up! :surprise:
    Turns out, that's also normal, so when it happens, don't worry about that either.
  • sonositesonosite Member Posts: 2
    Yea, I notice the steam coming from the hood when it is raining too. But if this is "normal", how come my previous cars never had this before??

And what is the cause of this? Is there a way to make it go away?
  • G35xPilotG35xPilot Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2008 G35x and have driven it less than 50 miles so far. I'm still getting used to having a 306hp engine and pushed it up to 5,000 RPM's a couple times while merging onto the freeway (it's pretty easy to do). Do I need to be concerned, given the manual says to keep it under 4,000 RPM's for the first 1200K miles?
  • silvercarsilvercar Member Posts: 5
    I have a G35X with Prem/Nav/Tech. 2 questions:
    1. I have around 500 miles on the car now and it has been giving me ~15mpg. Sounds low, did anyone experience low mpg's initially ? I am not sure if the adaptive cruise control is causing this low mpg; I tried the adaptive cruise several times - I thought it was cool that it slows down if it senses other vehicles ahead of you, but it is also annoying at times . . .
    2. My dealer has suggested that I change the oil after 500 miles and has given me a free oil change offer. Anyone with a similar experience ?
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    I have 500 miles on mine and I'm averging 20.4 but that will depend on the type of mileage driven also it will get better when broken in for now switch the guage in the center of the speedo display to show the average as you drive it will cause you to get better mileage as you watch it. I far from baby mine.

This is only my opinion but search these forums and the internet, you will almost always see it is not recommended by the manufacturer to do an early oil change. Dealers are a different story they want revenue. Most manufacturers use a heavy "moly" oil during break-in to insure long life, dumping it early would be beneficial to no one except maybe your dealer .
This discussion has been closed.