Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara Navigation System

moms_maxmoms_max Member Posts: 62
Is there anyone who can explain an EASY way to use the Nav system in the Solara? I've tried to read the manual, which I think is terribly confusing.

I've had my vert for 3 months now, and REALLY would like to make use of this option....but can't seem to decipher how it works.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    Don't worry. You're not the only one.

Have you taken the built in tutorial? If not, You'll find it helpful. Check the quick reference card that came with your manual for instructions on how to put the NAV system into tutorial mode.

More helpful will be a road trip. I took a 1500 miler not long after I bought mine. The day I left I was like you, confused and frustrated (w/ the NAV sys). 1500 miles and 2 weeks later I'd worked out every issue I had.

Now I can use it with confidence. I get more dates, my posture's straighter and my dog's stopped growling at me when I come home.

Smiles,

Meegwell
  • moms_maxmoms_max Member Posts: 62
    You are t-o-o-o funny....!

All I need is a few hours to sit behind the wheel and do the tutorial...except now it's too cold (boo-hoo). Oh well, I'll just add it to the long list of things I need to do...

Merry Christmas - and a super happy new year cruzin' in your car! ;)
  • navguynavguy Member Posts: 61
    Take a look at the Quick Reference Guide for navigation. The steps are simple and is a much easier read in comparison to the Navigation Systems Owner's Manual. Plus, check out this website for a tutorial on the navigation... its just like the Camry. I found this to be extremely useful for understanding the system. Click on the following link:

http://toyotaiguide.com/iGuide_Camry.htm

Once your in click on the Navigation link at the bottom left.
    Thanks, navguy - great screen name!!!

I'm currently out of state (and NOT in my Solara - :cry: but will check out your suggestions when I return. I really appreciate the feedback! One of my New Year's Resolutions is to learn the system...wish me luck!
    Thanks again.....
  • scubabob50scubabob50 Member Posts: 1
    That link is great stuff! Why doesn't Toyota make it more obvious? I am getting rid of my '99 Camry LE for an '07 Camry XLE and wanted to learn about the Nav system plus some other things before I pick up the car. I looked all over the toyota.com and and other company afilliated sites (mytoyota, etc.) and tried about 2 dozen google inquiries before finding this page.

As a new-ish owner I want to learn everything. The sales staff at the dealership, while nice guys are clueless about the voice activiation capabilities of the navigation system even though they have it in about half the cars that are on display in the showroom.

Thanks for posting this. Gaaad! It's going to save me hours/days of hard learning.
  • everaleveral Member Posts: 1
    the dealer told me that having my radio on more than 10 to 15 minutes was the reason that my battery was discharging to a point that the car would not start.
    i have a 2004 solara convertable
    thanks ken
  • saxman911saxman911 Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

My vehicle: 2007 Solara SLE - loaded v6

Does my navigation pick up traffic, accidents and or road closings visible by markers on my screen. I have v6.1 If so, how?

BTW, my "detour prompt is inactive-grayed out - why?

Alan Russell
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Alan,

The 07MY Solara does not include XM NAVTRAFFIC. The detour feature is only available during route guidance.

navguy
  • delkins07delkins07 Member Posts: 1
    I have the 07 Solara SLE with dvd navigation system. My question is simple. Will it play Dvd's when in park or not? I seem to remember the dealer telling me that it does. However, I can't get it to play a DVD when in park.

Thanks.
    Sorry, the DVD-ROM in the dash does not play DVD-Video. Only devices with the DVD-Video logo will play video.
    The only real way to verify what is causing the battery to discharge is to identify where the 'parasetic' current draw is coming from.

This simply requires an amp meter to measure the current draw. The current draw would have to be extremely high (25-35 amperes per hour) to discharge a healthy battery in 15 minutes. A load test on the battery would be necessary to confirm the battery's general state of health. If you live in either a cold or hot climate the life of the battery is reduced due to the unhospitable environment.

Make sure the obvious items are not 'on' or drawing current when you leave the vehicle: dome lights and/or any aftermarket equipment such as an aftermarket alarms, amplifiers, etc.
  • sharon21sharon21 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2004 Solara back in September. It did not come with any manuals. I tried to set my navigation system, but had little luck. Finally in February the person that I purchased the car from found the manuals and gave them to me. The first thing I did was try and set my navigation system, what a joke. There are so many steps it is mind blowing. To make a long story short, haha, my system is messed up. It sends me in the wrong direct more times than not. So I took it to my local Toyota dealer and he tells me he thinks it needs a DVD upgrade. He then tells me the upgrade will cost $270.00 for the DVD, I said nevermind. I looked on line to see if I could get a DVD elsewhere and I found one for $69.00. The difference between my DVD and the one online is that it says it is a voice activated DVD, my system is not voice activated. Can you please tell me if the voice activated DVD will work in my navigation system or am I doomed to have no system at all.
    Thank You,
    Sharon
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    Sharon: I can't tell you if the voice activated DVD will work, but i can tell you that the Factory Toyota system is a POS. My wife has a Highlander limited with a factory nav. She turned the display off and mounted a garmin on a beanbag mount, because the Totyota unit is absolute junk! I am NOT a Toyota basher. We have owned 8 new toyotas, since 1996.
    Has anyone purchased new CDs for their Nav systems? My '06 is really outdated....probably made in '05.... Are they expensive???

Also, anyone install a GOOD back-up camera lately?
  • katyhykatyhy Member Posts: 13
    We leased our Solara this afternoon and was reluctant to get one with the NAV system because I have read that 1) it was not voice activated and 2) it was very complicated to program. I had the sales guy sit in the car and show me how to program in my home address and to my shock, not only was it simple to do, it was voice activated. I couldn't believe it. Even a sales guy from another dealership told me that it was not voice activated and to get one without and just purchase an after market one which we seriously considered doing. I am so glad that I had my guy show me. It has all the points of interests such as gas stations, restaurants, etc in there just like my husband's Tahoe. We did not find it hard to program at all so I'm not sure why others have had problems with theirs.
    Wow....that's good news! But those of us who have posted here have older systems, and they are NOT voice activated, so are harder to program. I'm just now becoming fairly proficient with my '06 system...programming in my home addy wasn't hard, but other destinations have been problematic. And I need to upgrade the disc, but do not want to spend almost $300!!! I think that is highly outrageous....
    :mad:
  • 08solara08solara Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the 2008 Toyota Solara, and the navigation system seems very slow in responding to turns etc. I have been halfway past an intersection when the voice command says turn right, and yet the map shows me in the correct location with no turn.

Also I have had the voice command and the map differ in their instructions. Just came back from Albany, and while there, the voice command said to take I87 New York, and the map showed the route going to I90 to Boston. The map was right, the voice was wrong.

Am going to call the dealer, but wondered if anyone else has had these problems. Thanks
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    I just purchased a 2008 Solara Convertible with the Nav system. I can't figure out some of the things pertaining to the JBL audio system in particular how to set the radio so that the volume increases and decreases automatically with the vehicles speed. I don't understand why there is no separate JBL manual. Also I feel like the Aflac duck when trying to use the Nav system. If the salesman hadn't programmed in my home address that even wouldn't be available! It has told me that an address that has been on a certain street for years is not there.
    Anyway I called the salesman and told him to get the remedial instructor ready for this Toyota Nav system challenged guy Saturday. Funny thing is my Garmin Nuvi is so easy!
    Navguy thanks for posting that link up above. I finally figured out how to place several quick access points into memory/quick link points.
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    On my 08 nav system when going to the quick access area for destination and touching one of the icons for a destination, the message "add to" or "replace" comes on and I have to pick one to go to my destination and then press guide and guidance starts. I usually press replace. The screen comes up with the destination that I originally tried to quick access then I touch guide and guidance starts.
    Is this the way it works or am I doing something wrong? I think the procedure should be to press on the icon for a quick access point then the screen with the guide should come up and then touch guide and have guidance start. It is confusing to say the least.
  • solaraman2003solaraman2003 Member Posts: 92
    Hello.

For those of you who have a Solara (2008) with Navigation, I would like to know your experience with it. Please specify the year when you reply.

Do you find it to be accurate?
    Any quirks or erroneous information?

Thank you.
  • solaraman2003solaraman2003 Member Posts: 92
    Hello.

I have a 2008 SLEv6 coupe that I just bought, and believe it or not I am now considering installing the OEM navigation.

:shades: Has anyone had any experience in performing such an upgrade? I found one website that had instructions but I just wanted to hear from someone who has actually experienced it.

:shades: How can I find out WHICH models will fit my car? Can I get the Camry one? What years? Hopefully someone out there knows.

Thank you

(Hey, I wonder if I will need to change my name, now that I no longer drive a 2003 :) )
  • kimy5453kimy5453 Member Posts: 1
    Iam thinking seriously about purchasing a 2008 Toyota Solara convertible SLE. The model has the navigation display but can i play DVD-videos on it as well. The Toyota saleman says i can but he wasnt 100% sure..lol nor could he locate any information to backup his claim that playing actual video DVD's were possible. Has anyone acually played DVD's on their system? and if so was id the JBL-Navigation system? Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks
  • cdo863cdo863 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2004 Solara SLE with factory NAV/DVD. The dealer gave a tutorial, plus it came with a thick instruction manual. I have not had any problems with it at all. There are so many functions and features available. It has voice, too, but I prefer map view only, so I have it turned off. I upgraded the discs in 2009. This was very easy to do. I wonder if some of the posters here have models from Southeast Toyota (southern states). They install their own items, which are sometimes different from Toyota Corp. items. Had a system similar to the Solara model installed in our Scion Tc.
  • cdo863cdo863 Member Posts: 9
    ...and no, DVDs cannot be played in the DVD Nav system.
  • solaragal2solaragal2 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a certified used 2006 Solara Convertible with a nav system, but no nav dvd. After my husband changed the battery, several features no longer work. I can no longer access (or find) the calendar, my maintenance info. I no longer have display options. Also, the steering wheel buttons for changing modes or stations/tracks do not work, but the volume one does work. Any ideas for how to restore these features? Do I need the nav dvd for this? I am not even positive this is related to changing the battery, but also not positive it is coincidental.
    Thanks for your help!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    edited July 2013
    Not sure if this will help, but you can find a pretty detailed manual for the nav system on the 2006 Solara at the link below. Just choose the model and year and the tab for the manual will show up in the center of the screen.
    http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/owners-manuals#Owners-Manuals

Good luck!

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• jordac2jordac2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello does anyone know why my 2005 navi system is not picking up my position? Do I have an antenna issue? It will pick it up for a short moment if I position it manually, i dont have the GPS signal word present either...???
  • kketchumkketchum Member Posts: 1

Does anyone know where to get an update to the Navigation system? I have a 2007 and would like to update it. I know there is a map cd that can be ejected, so I assume there is a new map, but I'm not sure if it's as easy as that.