Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt: Winter Driving

jsteinbachjsteinbach Member Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
I live in snowy northern Utah (well.. not so much snow so far this year, but it'll get here eventually) and I drive an older car without traction control and I get around ok. However, I just moved last April into a house and the road leading up to it is very steep (I'm on the mountain). So in the snow I'm thinking my current car may not make it up the hill. I'm in the market for a new(er) car, and I wanted AWD or 4WD but, it's hard to find cars in my price range with lower mileage.

So I'm considering a car with traction control, but first I wanted to hear a bit of what other people have experienced with their Cobalt. I've read a ton of cobalt reviews, but not many mention how it handles in snow.

Comments

• ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    ABS and TCS will help, but with steep hills in the equation I'd think you better be thinking chains or studded snow tires (if legal where you are) on all four wheels when the roads are iced up. (Gettin' up the hill is no more important than gettin' down the hill under control. Once a car loses control going down a steep hill, TCS and ABS are effectively ineffective.)
  • kitkat60kitkat60 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2008 cobalt lt sedan and the tires that came with it are not good in the snow. The weather tonight in Rochester, NY, was bad driving home after midnight. I took all the flatest roads home. The traction on the Continental tires it came with are not very good. Will be looking to buy some better tires that do good in the snow. Does anyone have any sugestions on a good tire in the snow? I do however love my new car when it is not snowing hard out there.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Sorry I can't help you with that because I don't have the car or its tires, but I know depending on the shipment they also come with Michilen tires. When I replace my tires I usually just go with the store brand tires like a did with my Chevy S10 p/u at discount tires. This is my third set of tires and they are the best tires I have had thus far for wet/snow but they are only rated for 35,000 miles, thus they were cheap.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    I never owned a cobalt but to tell you the best tires I've ever had and they were VERY GOOD in winter driving was the "Regatta 2" from Goodyear. The "Regatta 2" is a 4 season tire and I never had any problems with the traction nor the handling of the vehicule.
    They were mounted on a 1999 Chevrolet Venture. Had them on for 4 entire years.

I had another brand that was very good with winter driving on my 1994 Blazer S -10 they were made by Yokohama but I can't remember the name of the tire and again they were 4 season tires.

I've been driving for 33 years, owned 7 new cars, never had winter tires on them..... but every time the original tires were real scrap in winter (even on their first winter).

Next year winter tires are going to be mandatory up here, so first time in my life I got to buy winter tires. Bummer
  • georgecavaliergeorgecavalier Member Posts: 54
    I bought a 2007 Cobalt LS which has no ABS or traction control. I live in NE PA so we get some pretty harsh winters. I live in a rural area and where I work is at the top of a mountain. My Cobalt has never gotten me stuck and I drove it in snow storms of up to a foot or more. This is even with the crummy Continental tires. I do wish it had ABS and traction control but so far so good.
  • 94accord_lover94accord_lover Member Posts: 42
    I have a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds on my '94 Accord, and they've gotten me through pretty much everything. They're not cheap, almost $400 for a set for 14 inchers, but my gosh are they good! Had a late evening at college an hour away from home, and there was snow coming. I left as soon as I could but I couldn't beat it. Here I am driving down the highway at 35 mph in a car with no ABS, traction control, or anything fancy and me not having much experience in the winter driving department. They handled the snow amazingly, the v-pattern tread throwing snow and gripping along as hard as they could. Trust me, you cannot go wrong with these. Yeah they're pricey, but save your money for good tires, it's the only part of your car that touches the road.
  • horsey55horsey55 Member Posts: 15
    I was hoping for some more opinions on this topic with Winter coming soon. I have the Continental tires on mine, the last time I had that brand was on a '68 VW. :)
    As I have about a 4% grade to negotiate on my driveway as starters, I was wondering if I should be looking into a more aggressive tire for the season.
    Horsey
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    4% grade? GEZ what's the worry?

I go up and down steeper hills than that in the Pa. mountains on my stock contis and no issues. But then I learned how to drive on northern Wis. ice.
    Good to hear that the stockers are working for you. I have a few miles under my belt as well in Midwestern Winters, so as long as the tires are good I think I can handle it. Thanks.
  • just84wvujust84wvu Member Posts: 9
    I found that even a lil snow with my stock tires that were on the car when purchased, the car handled terribly in snow. We only had a light dusting and the car was all over the place it was crazy. My '93 Sable handled better and it was front wheel drive. Even the next day when the temps steadily rose overnight to a balmy 55F the car was awful on what spots where the leftovers of snow was left (the slush) on the main roads. I slide a few times while Kia's flew right by me. I also noticed that even when its well above 50 my car will warn me about ICE POSSIBLE. Why is that? On Saturday here in town it was almost 70F, but when I got in my car you would think it was 22F because the first thing displayed on the INFO Center was ICE POSSIBLE. Never could get a clear reason for this. :confuse:
    We have had a lousy Winter here in Wisconsin, and overall I am pleased with how my '08 LS Coupe has performed thus far. The stock Continental tires have proven to be capable performers for me. And they have had to tackle some ugly drifts at times, and now tons of standing water in places with the recent thaw we are having. The Cobalt keeps going, although with a small car you have to be aware of your low clearance level, especially after owning trucks.
    This has been a great car. I am very satisfied with this purchase.

Horsty
This discussion has been closed.