Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Transmission Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    chevyperson,
    I apologize for your experience. Can you please email me with your contact information including mailing address and a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and Edmunds user name? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • rityrity Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Tahoe that began shifting hard in January, 2010 while it was still under warranty so I took it to my dealer to check. They stated nothing was wrong and as a after thought recommended a flush which I declined. 11 months later the transmission totally goes out with only 84,000 miles, of course no warranty anymore! Cost $2500 to repair. I put a complaint in with GM because I felt the dealer should bear some of the cost since I brought it to them while it was under warranty and they stated it was fine. It went through arbitration and I'm sure no one will be shocked to learn I lost. GM stated because I declined the flush they ruled against me. Would a flush have told anyone anything about a transmission going out? Should I move on with filing a better business bureau complaint? I think GM should be ashamed that the transmissions are going out with such low mileage!
  • fedupwgmfedupwgm Member Posts: 2
    Your problem sounds more electrical than mechanical. If you let off of the gas as it winds to the top of second and let it idle down can you then slowly accelerate and get it into 3rd or 4th? I had to rebuild mine as it was missing 2nd and 4th - no assistance from GM or local dealer whom I have bought numerous vehicles from. I'm now having idle problems at 100k, burning 3qts of oil in 1000miles. It's really a shame. I'd love nothing more than to put all of my money for autos into American built but they're committment to quality and customer satisfaction sucks! They know very clearly about all the transmission problems and refused to recall. They'll get no more of my money!
  • dw1springsdw1springs Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 Tahoe which has run great until today. I came to an intersection and stopped. When I accelerated the truck wouldn't move. I shifted down to 1 and it moved, shifted into 2 still going 3 was ok but no drive. When I stopped again, same thing. Anyone have a similar issue? What was the fix?

Thank you!
  • pinchbugpinchbug Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if this is a transmission or engine issue but this is what my Tahoe is doing. When I am excellerating and RPMs near 2000 my tach will bounce and it feels like the carb is choking as if it is not getting enough gas or maybe like I am tapping the gas pedal. If I press the gas pedal down it hesitates and then goes on without a problem. This is more noticable going up hill. Another thing I have noticed is that when slowing to make a turn upon pressing the gas to resume speed while the wheels are turned it is like a momentary dead zone. This feels very similar to when you try to make a sharp turn with 4 wheel drive engaged. Dealer can not find anything. Any ideas???
  • jonayjonay Member Posts: 5
    Fuel filter first, if that dosent do it then the fuel pump.
    pinchbug,
    Can you please email me with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • nickharmelingnickharmeling Member Posts: 1
    This is def something new to me. 1st and 2nd gears work perfect. After going into 3rd it wont downshift on its own until you break. The engine sounds like it is working harder to accelerate after 3rd gear also. Anyone ever seen or know anything about this. I have an appt Wed to get it looked at, but i dont want to be taken for a fool either. So any help would be great!

Thanks,

Nick
  • lesleevlesleev Member Posts: 3
    I have a 03 Tahoe I have only driven on weekends and have babied so it would last a long time. But the transmission just went out at 80,000 miles. I thought it was a fluke that my brothers 06 went out at 70,000 miles!. What years are bad for these?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    all
    Yeah, until that one goes out.
  • tah04tah04 Member Posts: 8
    something that there is a gm customer service rep out here now wow do they think there could be a problem with there cars and trucks? na. 2004 tahoe $46k on my fifth thats 5 transmissions 80K miles and the one in there now the fluid smells burnt delay going into drive and guess what warranty is out. The last time the truck got towed in roadside assistance told me to find my own towing company. GM could care less oh by the way your welcome for the 20billion we lent you and thanks for the $50-$60K price tag on the new ones. GM aka greed moters
  • savage35savage35 Member Posts: 3
    I have a Chevy Tahoe 2004 and I had to replace my transmission when it had a little over 50K on it.. Very disappointing, called GM to complain and of course all they could say was oh it isn't under warranty and there is nothing we can do. Now 3 years later, I am dealing with transmission problems again! First they replaced the 1 and 2 shift solenoids and now it is throwing a P0894 code which means transmission slipping. I will honestly say that I have lost faith in Chevrolet and that my next vehicle WILL NOT be a chevrolet. Many of my friends and familiy that have had Chevrolets have had similiar transmission issues. I bought this vehicle because we are a family of 5 and it sad that I get nervous driving my children around in this vehicle because I am worried that I may break down on the side of the road!! Thanks Chevy!
    tah04,
    Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Has your dealer consulted Technical Assistance? If you would please email me with more details and more information I would be happy to look into this.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I called customer service back when the transmission went out the first time and the response I was given was that mine was not under warranty and if I buy a new Chevrolet they come with a 100,000 mile warranty. I told GM at that time that I was very dissatisfied with that answer and that is was ridiculous that I am having to replace a transmission with only 50,000 miles on the vehicle. I was not offered any assistance or advice or anything. Now we are dealing with the transmission yet again... The check engine light comes on when the vehicle has gotten warmed up, probably a 30-40 mile trip would do it. The transmission starts shifting hard and feels sluggish. I am at the end of my rope after spending another $400 and it still isn't fixed....
    savage35,

You stated you contact GM, did you contact GM Customer Assistance? Do you currently have a case set up? If so, could you please send me the case number in an email? I would like to look further into the situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • driestererdriesterer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Tahoe with 80000 miles on it. I have had both front wheel bearings replaced because they failed. The last one yesterday. Luckily they covered it under warranty. About the tranny though, what is recommended for changing/flushing transmission?
    Thanks
    Dennis
    No we do not have a case set up... They told me too bad!!! This happened to me 3 years ago and now I am dealing with it again!
    savage35,

I apologize for the issues you are having with your vehicle. I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Service. I would like to get more specific information from you regarding this issue. In order to do some further research, it would be very helpful to have the VIN, current mileage, full name, address and best contact number for our records sent to me in an email. What dealership are you currently working with? Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    driesterer,
    I would recommend speaking with your local dealer. This information is also found in your owners manual page 556. For normal service it is changed at 100,000 miles. For sever service it is changed at 50,000, 100,000, 150,000. If you need have any other questions feel free to email me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I have a 03 Tahoe that I have just driven on weekends, and always serviced, garaged etc.
    The transmission went out on it at 80,000 miles. My brothers went out at 70,000 miles, and GM paid for half of a new one, since the age was out of warranty. So I contacted GM, and they gave me a case number. I was told if I took it to a dealer and paid to have the tranny taken out they would pay for a new one if in fact a part had not held up. We confirmed this a couple of times. Then I went into Lee Johnson Chevrolet and asked their service dept., and said I was worried I would pay to have it taken out [$850.00] and then they would find some excuse not to replace it. The service man said "oh, they'll pay for it". Well guess what, as soon as they got it out, and confirmed it was a bad part, they said they wouldn't pay for it. But Lee Johnson said they would cut me a deal on a rebuild for $3,500.00. All along I have told everyone it is a "03, in like new condition. So now it sits in Lee Johnsons parking lot. This is a bunch of b.s., I have owned chevys since 1976 and I expect to be treated as such!.
  • angelo11angelo11 Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Tahoe with 50k miles. It shifted funny from first to second. We did regular maintenance on it.. Changed fluids when needed. We made four trips to Texas from Florida,and monthly trips from Dallas to Houston for three years. After the 3rd trip from Fl. i put a Hayden trans. cooler with a fan, and changed fluids when needed. Ran flawless! Once you have driven over 50 to 60k and under 45 mph. with more than 3 people i put it in 3rd gear. Just to keep it from shifting in and out of 4 th. and 3 rd. It is noted in owners manuel....... just not in those exact words.... Your vehicle talks to you when it is straining just like your back.......CHEVY FOR LIFE!!!!!!!
  • daikensdaikens Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Tahoe that I bought at 69,000 miles from a dealer and as soon as it hit the 70,000 mi. mark, the transmission needed to be replaced. I love my vehicle but if I knew that I would end up with issues like this so soon into owning the car, I would not have purchased it. This is my second Chevy and I never experienced a problem with my first one... I just needed a larger vehicle after expanding my family. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I really cannot afford to fork out hundreds let alone thousands to replace the transmission.
  • marka09marka09 Member Posts: 20
    Reading the forum I see I am not alone. I'm taking my Tahoe in for repair today. It appears that my transmission has had it. It has always (intermittently) felt like someone hit me from the back when I start off at a traffic light. I've reported it during the warranty, but always came back "no trouble found". I can't believe that Chevrolet built a transmission that will last less than 100K - insane. I traded in my Dodge Ramcharger (1987) back in 2000 for this vehicle and it had 180K on it at the time with no transmission problems. I have no idea how much this will cost but I'm very disappointed in Chevrolets at this point. When I get it back I guess it's time to look into getting another vehicle - perhaps a Kia this time, but just not a Chevy. :(
    The dealer called and said that I have a "catastrophic metal failure" in the transmission. Isn't this a defect in the materials? Even out of warranty I would think Chevy would acknowledge the problem and at least help out on the cost. $3000 for a remanufactured transmission with a 3 year or 100K mile warranty. In this day and age, that's a lot of money for something that seems to be a common problem with these vehicles. The truck has never towed anything but a small open trailer with 20 bales of pine straw for a few miles from the store. And the vehicle has been taken care of - looks like new. I'm disappointed in Chevy... :mad:
  • sandera10sandera10 Member Posts: 1
    With only 71,000 miles on my '05 tahoe, just found out today that transmission is shot in the 2nd gear and overdrive. This is a vehicle that is only driven to drive kids to and from school, around town etc. Both places that I took it for service said that I should be very unhappy because this should not happen in a vehicle such as this. I am very upset because we try to "Buy American" and warranty was up last summer. We have only towed a little wave runner maybe 4 times and so this is very disappointing to say the least. GM needs to respond to this problem and I see so many have complained about the same issue at around the same mileage.
    Does anyone have a list of all the people who have had issues with their Tahoe transmissions? It could come in very helpful to approach Chevrolet with.
    I asked if 74K miles was all a transmission should last and he said that it should last longer. The dealer service writer said that Chevrolet wouldn't listen and help out on the problem because they don't know how the vehicle was driven, etc. The truck looks brand new, it has never been abused, it's a 2000 with only 74K miles, and even the service tech who looked at the problem said that the truck is in great shape. I would sign a document stating that it hasn't been abused, but Chevrolet will never budge. I guess that when it comes time to purchase a new vehicle, I will need to look somewhere other than the Chevy dealer... very sad. :(
    sandera10,

I would like to look further into your situation. Could you please email me your complete contact information, VIN and involved dealership?

Thank you,
    daikens,
    I apologize for your frustration. Can you please email me your VIN?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina / Caron, I've sent the information you requested to you at your email address. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Mark
    Mark,

I just wanted you to let you know that we have not received an email from you. Could you please give a brief description of the issue you are having?

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.

edited May 2011
    Hi Caron, Please check with Christina. I answered the email she sent me. I'd rather not post personal contact information on a forum. Here is the brief description.

2000 Chevy Tahoe - The vehicle has 74,6?? miles on it. It's at the dealer right now so I can't get the exact milage for you. I took it in on Friday and the technician said it was a "catastrophic metal failure" in the transmission. They ordered a remanufactured transmission and it should be there today (Monday).

This vehicle has been babied. It has only towed a couple of times an open uhaul trailer with 20 bails of pine straw. I have only had to use 4 wheel drive a couple of times to go through the little snow we get here is Georgia. In comparison, the 1987 Dodge RamCharger that was traded in on this truck had many miles on it and never needed a transmission even though it towed my boat when we lived in Florida, and pulled a trailer with my car on it when we moved here from South Florida in 1993. Way more usage than this truck has seen.

After reading the forum I realized that this appears to be a known problem with Tahoes. As a retired person living on a fixed income, an expense like this really hurts. And it appears that nothing I could have done would have prevented this. I had reported a problem with the vehicle while under warranty and they could find no problem, but the issue persisted. I chalked it up to "I guess that's the way these transmissions are". I have other friends who experienced the same symptom of: after sitting at a light, when you give it gas to go it felt like someone hit you in the rear of the truck. I now realize it was the transmission slipping and then catching.

I realize the truck is a 2000 model, but the age isn't the only determining factor. This vehicle is a low mileage vehicle and has been cared for. Even the technician said it's in great shape. I'm not asking Chevrolet to replace my vehicle, just take the high road and get it working correctly again for me. New transmissions come with a 100K warranty. I would certainly expect a transmission to last at least that long, but in my case it's only 74K before failure.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide in this matter.
    The remanufactured transmission has been installed ($2984). The cause was a catastrophic metal failure (sounds like a defect in my opinion). That's a lot of money for something that should have lasted a lot longer. The service writer agreed with me that 74K miles shouldn't require a transmission.
    marka09,
    I apologize for your frustration. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Christina, No I have not spoken to anyone. Who should I call? I'm sure that my problem will fall on deft ears, but I'll call anyway. I'm really frustrated that a transmission in a very well treated vehicle only lasted 74,630 miles. And $3000 later, I know have to get rid of the vehicle in 3 years or face the same problem again.

Let me know who to call and I will.

Thanks,
    Mark
    I just opened a case (71-944-296379) with Chevrolet. Basically they said my vehicle is TOO OLD. It doesn't matter that there was a catastrophic metal failure on a vehicle with only 74K miles (or as John - the person I spoke with at Chevrolet customer service - said " a metal rubbing on fluid problem"). Even the service writer, Craig, at the local dealer said that the failure was unusual at that mileage. It was interesting that before they said they won't help they asked if I owned any other Chevrolet products. Ray, the supervisor, also said no - they won't help me.

I don't plan on letting this go. I know a few execs in the GM offices and will start making calls tomorrow. I'm not asking for them to replace my vehicle or even pay the entire bill, just to be fair and help out with the cost of the repair. I even offered a 50/50 split. Don't tell me GM can't afford an internal $1500...

Calls will start tomorrow... with as many people complaining of transmission failures as on the forum, there is something that needs attention. If anyone would like to contact me via email, I'd be happy to provide the numbers I have for GM.
    marka09,
    If you would like I can set up a case for you. This way your agent the agent will have a chance to review our interactions and have an idea of your concerns. If you would like to take this approach please email me your complete mailing address, a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. If you would prefer to call yourself just send me an email asking for the Customer Assistance number and I will provide it there. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I opened up a case already and was told not just No, but Hell No, by both the rep and the supervisor. So I called GM Executive Escalations and registered my concerns. Yes, I know it's 11 years old, but the true test should be the number of miles it's been driven - 74,630 miles. Everyone keeps asking if I own any other GM products. That must mean that since I don't I'm not someone to help. They also keep asking if I plan to buy a new Chevrolet soon. Well, to be honest, I would never buy a GM product again if GM doesn't step up to the plate and help me with the costs of fixing a defective transmission that they KNOW is an issue with many vehicles. If a class action suit were to be opened, then the records would be open to the discovery process and I am sure that I'm not the only one with an early life failure of a transmission in a Tahoe.
    marka09,
    What is your case number? Feel free to email me directly. Please include your Edmunds user name. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    marka09,
    I looked into your case # 71-944296379. This case is still open and your agent is still looking into this. I would recommend continuing to work with your agent. Please feel free to contact me with any questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • markus5670markus5670 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Z71 Tahoe with 95000 kilometers. My transmission is now gone for the second time. I have an appointment with the place that rebuilt it (dealership) on tuesday for them to check it out. It was rebuilt 3 years and 30000 kilometers ago. Thats twice in under 60,000 miles!
    I have had to replace the two front wheel bearings (not cheap), the cluster as well as the rear third brake light. The vinyl on the side of my seat has cracked.
    This is the one toy I bought myself, I love my truck, but I'm so dissapointed. I bought it in 2005. It had 27 k on it and has never been off road and totally cherished since the day I've had it
  • richlejarichleja Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Tahoe with only 61000 original miles and a blown transmission. Does anyone have the link to GM customer service to register the problem? Thanks.
  • mckie1mckie1 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    I have a 2007 Chevy Suburban LT ( loaded) X2w drive at 86,500 miles, my transmission completely went out no drive gears only reverse. I was still under warranty, my dealer told me that the problem was fixed. the dealer took out the burnt gears and clutch and repair the bad parts in the transmission. A certified manufactured rebuilt was never an option for me. This was done in April 2010. Here on Friday 05/13/2011, the transmission is out again for the second time with 118,000 miles. Now with no warranty coverage the dealer"says we can give you a Certified transmission from the factory for $4,100.00. ( $2984 for the unit and $1,125 is everything else) who has $4,100, to fix something that should been fix correctly the first time. Help...a GM customer service link or contact info would be great.
  • markus5670markus5670 Member Posts: 3
    I'm going to get a tranny from monster transmission shipped to a trans shop for 2000 and 450 to get installed. No more GM crap
    mckie1,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage, involved dealership and a brief description of the problem you are experiencing sent to me in an email.

Thank you,
  • mckie1mckie1 Member Posts: 3
    Okay, I sent the email of the requested information. Thank you for your time. If you did not receive the info, please advise.
    See my last post for the phone number of the GM Executive Escalation Department. But be prepared for "It's too old". They will want to know if you own any other GM products and if you are in the market for a new vehicle. It appears that those 2 questions help make the decision. :lemon:
    I heard back from GM Executive Escalations Department. The Final Answer is NO - they won't help. Not just NO, but Hell No! Reason - the vehicle is TOO OLD. They offered me a vehicle loyalty certificate if I was in the market for a new vehicle - what a joke! NO WAY I WOULD EVER BUY A GM PRODUCT AGAIN. :mad:

I have the phone number of the Executive Escalation Office if anyone would like to call about their vehicle.

I really would love to hear from people who have had transmission problems with their Tahoes, Suburbans, and Yukons. I honestly think that they have a problem that GM won't admit to. Perhaps a class action suit!!!! And to think that the American tax payers bailed them out... should have let them go out of business.
  • tah04tah04 Member Posts: 8
    Bro I got 80K on my '04 tahoe, on its 4th thats right 4th transmission. GM don't give a hoot. Hi my name is christina send me your info and i'll look into for you then is carmon then it bob frank joe jim this is all a way to blow smoke up our butts. They don't care I bought a toyota best thing I ever did. And your 100% right we should have let them go out of business 20 billion for what so they can screw the same people that fed them. GM just sucks thats all there is to it. And a loyalty certificate thats the biggest joke what did they give you 1k off an a $60k car ooooooooooooooo. a class action law suit you bet.