Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Transmission Problems

Comments

• gmlikesjapangmlikesjapan Member Posts: 21
    Yes she did and got it all straightened out ! I called the nuber the other member provided and explained that I needed to talk to a management person since I was getting the run-around from regular customer service .
  • richinatl73richinatl73 Member Posts: 2
    As someone in the transmission repair business I would advise avoiding most, if not all, import SUVs. Reliability is down for all auto makers, especially Nissan and Toyota. GM at least has a longer warranty. I currently have a Ford Explorer (65k) and an 07 Pathfinder (85k) getting transmission rebuilds for major failures that would have been warranty for GM products. Not to mention the repair costs being more. That Pathfinder is a 4000.00 repair because the computer is internal to the transmission, only available from Nissan, and almost always replaced. People ask my opinion on a daily basis and I tell them all the same thing, whatever you buy, get the best warranty you can because I don't like what I see from America, Europe, or Japan
  • huskeriniowahuskeriniowa Member Posts: 2
    We decided to trade 2007 Chevy Suburban off on a new 2011 Chevy Suburban. Cynthia in GM customer service looked into service history, agreed there was a problem, and was able to get us a GM Owner Loyalty Certificate which helped us get into a new vehicle. She also followed up with the dealer to try to get us a better loaner vehicle or speed up the transmission work. She was excellent to work with and went above and beyond to see that we were satisfied but we were sorry it had to come to this. Hopefully, this will eliminate all of our problems.
  • larryw97larryw97 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Z71 Tahoe transmission that slips making a hard left turn, or a wide sweeping left turn. Sometimes after the left turn it slips just a little after I am straight. I was told that the screen may have dropped down in the pan. I checked that, and everything seems to be OK.
  • woodycoxwoodycox Member Posts: 8
    UPDATE!! I took my 2006 Tahoe to Dealer at the advise of my friend's local repair shop. They ran Diagnostic. Replaced my encoder motor (actuator).
    Cost = $700.00.
    I could have done it but I would not have been able to update software.
    No problems so far...I wonder if they updated software?
  • dmntddmntd Member Posts: 20
    So at about 92k miles I coughed up the $2670 for a complete transmission rebuild with heavy duty upgrades. It sucks that the repair shop knew these transmissions are crap. In fact the shop manager who also has a Tahoe says "the engines are great and will run for ever if you maintain it, yet transmission are CRAP!" (crap was not the word he used) With a statement like that how can you not trust a guy who feels your pain? Well its fixed and now under warranty so now I have to work on getting my lift gate unstuck from the lock position and see whats up with my keyless entry remote not unlocking my doors but will lock them. This will be the last GM product I ever buy TRUST ME!!!!
  • dtroitdtroit Member Posts: 5
    While you are at it, replace your u-joints on the front driveshaft. If that shaft has a slight vibration due to worn u-joints you will be rebuilding your transfer case as well, or at least replacing the frt main bearing and seal.
  • dtroitdtroit Member Posts: 5
    I would like to lift my 99 Hoe about 3 inches. Can anyone recommend a good kit?
  • gmlikesjapangmlikesjapan Member Posts: 21
    GM banned me from the Yukon/tahoe site . Obviously , not this one .
  • slogan002slogan002 Member Posts: 2
    huskeriniowa, can you please tell us your experience so far with your 2011 Chevy. We have expierenced similar and were considering trading in for 2011 Tahoe. Very concerned based off of what we are finding on research on this site. Interested in your feedback. We were really pleased with our Tahoe till now....
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning slogan002,

I see that you're having difficulties with your Chevrolet and would like to know more. What year is your vehicle, and what has been happening?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • marka09marka09 Member Posts: 20
    It's been less than a year since my transmission has been replaced and it's starting to show the same signs of failure as the first transmission. No more than 4000 miles since replacement and it, at times, slips when starting to move from a traffic signal. The engine revs and then a few seconds later the transmission kicks in - it feels like someone has just rear-ended the truck. It's the same sign I had with the first transmission that only lasted 76K miles. This is getting a little upsetting!!!!
  • slogan002slogan002 Member Posts: 2
    Sarah, we had not had any problems whatsoever till the other day on my way home from work. Stopped at intersection, proceeded to go thru and I lost all power. It felt like it was in neutral. Reverse fine, low fine, drive gone! Had to have towed to nearest dearer 60 miles away! Cost us $160. Got a call back from service tech. Said tranny is gone. Need to replace. No warranty. He did not pull the tranny, apparently is good enough tech to know it is tranny. We are original owners, babied this vehicle, never towed anything. Just had full tranny service less than yr ago because we we moving. They said everything was fine and really didn't need it done, but did anyway for our own comfort. This had been a great vehicle till now! This is unexceptable, that tranny should last the life of the vehicle the way it was taken care of! Very disappointing! Chevy obviously has issues with the tranny in the 2007 models and earlier based off of what other customers are experiencing on this site. What is Chevy doing about this? And, of course our warranty just expired! So we are without a vehicle now and having to Look for another vehicle today. Which is 2 hrs away! Then we will have to have towed again to that dealer to trade in at another probably $200.00!
  • chevyryde1rchevyryde1r Member Posts: 1
    My transmission just went out on my 2001 chevy tahoe. i just had another used one installed. the mechanic warned me of a sound, possibly a bearing going bad. well, he installed it correctly this am, and while test driving i could hear the noise. also, i noticed that the gears were taking a long time to shift. my rpm would go up very high before shifting from 1st to second gear. well long story short, while test driving, i came almost to s complete stop and pressed the gas to go and it felt like something came loose or broke or something... the truck stop moving completely!! as i put it in drive, it wouldn't move at all.. like it was in neutral or something.. oddly, it reverses fine... it stop driving in the middle of the road so i put it in reverse and it backs up fast and fine.
    please help... what could this possibly be???? good mechanics, please help!!!!
  • imrsohandsomeimrsohandsome Member Posts: 2
    hey how are you..where was the sensor located at
  • imrsohandsomeimrsohandsome Member Posts: 2
    i have 98 chevy tahoe and im having problems with it, my tahoe will not move in any gear and in 2 or 4 wheel drive, once u turn it on it will move a few feet then it will not move again until u shuut it off and wait a few minutes then turn on and it will move agaian a few feet, what do u think the problem is?
    Sensor is under SUV near driver's side door; off center of vehicle.
    Google image the sensor. It looks just like those. Part of it runs left to right and looks like a skinny, black coke can....almost looks like a skinny oil filter.
    Cost/labor at dealership was at least $700. If you do it by yourself, watch youtube videos. There are great vids of removal and replacement. However, software updates have to be done...not sure if you can drive it w/o the updates.
  • amuzjayamuzjay Member Posts: 3
    Sounds familiar! I just found out this morning that I have to fork out $4200 for a complete tranny rebuild for my apparent piece of crap 2006 $59,000 Chevy Tahoe! Only 74,000 miles on it! I can't believe I ever bought a Chevy! They fork out more money into their people's retirement, that their product is crap! Thank you Union bastards! Thank you Chevy! No wounded you bastards went bankrupt!
  • richinatl73richinatl73 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know what part of the country that was in, but 4200 is a ripoff. Dealer list for a 4L60E is less than 1900.00 and Labor time is 7.0 hours for 4wd. At the average GM rate of 100.00 per hr 700.00 labor a total of 2600.00 plus tax and fluid with the GM 3 year/ unlimited warranty. If anyone in this forum is quoted over 3k go to a different dealer or shop
  • corrieqcorrieq Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem. It first happened between 58,000 and 59,000 miles that it wouldn't go into gear after stopping at a light. It was sporadic, and I thought it was my imagination. Over the weekend the problem got much worse and the engine revs between all gears. Of course, my powertrain warranty ended a few months ago. I'm looking at $3,350 for a new transmission, and the cost of a rental car in the meantime. If I had known that this was such an issue I would not have bought a Chevrolet. I'm hoping that GM Customer Assistance will do the right thing and stand behind their product. The dealer keeps reminding me that GM is on my side, and I should be patient while they see if they can help. My take on it is that they should do the right thing and cover the cost of the transmission replacement since the dealer has told me numerous times that this malfunction has no external cause. Unfortunately, customer service has quoted me all of the reasons they may not be able to help me (outside of warranty, I'm the second owner and they don't know how the prior owner maintained it), and don't really seem to be on my side.

If you've had similar problems and either paid for the repair, or had the repair covered by GM either under warranty or through customer assistance, please email me. I'm collecting information on how wide spread this issue is.

I understand that cars cost money, and things do break, however having a transmission that only lasts 60,000 miles then falls apart is unacceptable!

Thanks!
    Corrie
    Corinnemaysa@yahoo.com
    edited May 2012
    $1900 for tranny ( not including torque convertor) $500 for the torque convertor, $1600 for the R&R ( quoted 17 hrs to do the rebuild replacing all the hard parts and soft). Plus fluid and tax. Looks like I'm getting raked with the labor. It's at my local Aamco Transmission shop. Point being, a 2006 $59,000 vehicle should last without having to dump that kind of money back into it.... Really, shame on me... If a car company is only going to warranty their drive train for 36k.......that should have been my clue. My 2006 Hyundai........ 146789 miles and not one penny having to go towards any mechanical issues... My 1998 Mitsubishi montero sport 4x4...... 167899 miles before my teenager blew the motor (let the oil run out)....my 1995 ford ranger xlt....67567 miles I had to rebuild the tranny for $1800, then two years later( one month after the warrenty expired) I had to do ot again for $2400..no more American vehicles for me.... No heart into them, too much greed in cost savings cause they have to pay all those years of pensions and medical bills.
    I hope they do stand behind their product, it's a rare thing these days. I would absolutely be a Chevy lover if a little understanding was used and the customer was protected. Can you just imagine..... Mr. _____ , I understand your frustration and we want you to trust our brand. Please let us cover the bill to fix your vehicle made with pride by our company......... It's only a dream;(
  • corrieqcorrieq Member Posts: 2
    Well, GM Customer Assistance has agreed to pay 30% of the repair cost, plus 5 days of the rental car. This will save me a total of $1,500, so I'm pleased.

Although I was hoping for more, this will do for now given the fact that I am out of warranty. I'm anxious to see if a class action case is brought against GM regarding these 4L60E transmissions.
  • jzahnjzahn Member Posts: 3
    Hello.

I bought my 2007 suburban last June and I have already had to have the heads plained because of a manufactures defect 3 months ago and now on the way home from work last week it was like I had run something over and then the transmission would not work in drive. I have to put it in 2nd and then start going to shift it up to drive. I had it looked at and the repairman told me that I need a rebuild. I should have kept the Ford truck that I traded for this thing. All I have done is put money into this and havn't even been able to enjoy the vehicle. Anyone have the same problem with the transmission and does it need rebuilt??????? UGH!!!
  • mgywarmachinemgywarmachine Member Posts: 1
    Shift problems
  • jos3phh2l3yjos3phh2l3y Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I have the same problem did you ever find what was causing this.....
  • orcha2002orcha2002 Member Posts: 1
    I recently took an impromptu beach trip with my 100,000 miles + Chevy Tahoe and got stuck in 4 Lo. I took the car to a mechanic and they told me my Transfer Case Motor was shot so I needed to replace it. After many hours of them trying to put the motor on they decided that the transfer case itself was broken which will not allow the actuator to fit correctly. They now say it will cost $1650 to fix the transfer case. Does this sound fishy to anyone? Is there no way to manually shift back to 2WD and save myself $$$? Any help is much appreciated.
  • roccob888roccob888 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Holy Crap! Im about to go to the dealer with the same problem. 59,000 miles! Im sooo pissed this is why I always lease. I knew I shouldnt of bought this piece of junk! I smelling class action law suit!
    Same thing with my 2005 Tahoe.....tranny did the same thing at 82,500 miles and then just went totally out....cost $3100 along with other issues I am so over Chevy products as soon as I can I am going back to imports.
  • a_dorn2012a_dorn2012 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    In Feb. 2012 bought this Tahoe from a dealer. 120,000 miles. Have put less than 3,000 miles on it. Transmission went out, cost $3,000.00 + a $260.00 sensor. Towing costs, $400.00. Dealer called last night and said the transmission is fixed but the front differential needs to be replaced, or it will work the transmission too hard and it will break again, Cost, another $2,000.00. UGH! Is this a common Tahoe issue? :confuse:
    I cant say for sure its a common issue but I do know I have seen many reports on here saying folks have replaced the tranny several times before they even hit 100k miles. I have not heard anyone having issues with their differential and I am knocking on wood right now that it will not be my next issue with this damn SUV.
  • bassman1447bassman1447 Member Posts: 1
    They could sure use a lesson from Ranger Boats. I hit a pothole in my subdivision last year while pulling my Ranger out. The pothole broke both welds on axle and it rotated up to where tires were rubbing on fiberglass fender. Long story short, 3 yr warranty had expired the YEAR before. I sent them pictures of the hole, my tire, fender and axle. Out of good will and standing behind their product they send me a brand new axle and two new tires. So, if you are looking for a bass boat, Ranger will definitely stand behind their products.

MY 07 Tahoe's transmission just went out with a little over 59k miles, still under the powertrain 100k warranty but time ran out last sept. Guess what, after a lot of wrangling they split the bill with me 60-40 which was appreciated, but for one of their top of the line vehicles to have tranny probs with less than 60k miles doesn't bode well for this vehicle and from what I am seeing a lot of other Tahoe owners are or have had the same problem.
  • adrien1adrien1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 tahoe with 235000km on it and now the tranny won't shift by itself. If i shift it myself it works but no overdrive. Does anybody have any suggestions what it could be Any help would be great thanks
  • juanmg67juanmg67 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    I was coasting down a mountain about 55 MPH when my transmission went out. Then I tried to speed up on a level road and all I saw was the RPMS go up. Now the transmission won’t select any gear even in Park it will roll forward. I checked the shift linkage outside and inside the transmission and everything seem to be working normally. I looked at the level of the fluid before and after engine start and it does not change. (Possible bad pump). Is there anything else I should be checking for before a transmission rebuild? Also I think I can get a 2002 transmission cheap but I don’t know if they are interchangeable
    Look into the Transfer case sensor. Use youtube and search transfer case sensor. Google that as well. Cost to replace on 2006 4WD Tahoe was $700.
  • marka09marka09 Member Posts: 20
    With all the same issues on the Tahoe and Yukon transmissions I suspect that GM is looking at a Class Action Law Suit once the general public starts adding it all up. My new transmission (about a year old) is starting to do the same thing that the original one did. I've been to the dealer twice and its a "not trouble found" answer each time. I would think that GM would start putting it all together and find a real fix for the problems with these transmissions. Should a transmission only last about 80K miles? It shouldn't matter how old the vehicle is, the mileage is the key .
  • juanmg67juanmg67 Member Posts: 2
    Transfer case sensor? The transfer case was getting lock on 4 LOW sporadically after some heavy rain I assumed it was the electrical connector taking in water. Thanks I’ll check it and get back with the results.
    I can get a 2002 used trani for about 300.00 but I don’t know if it is interchangeable
  • wizekat78wizekat78 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I purchased a 2007 Suburban in December of last year. We have four children and have a very tight budget so we decided to buy a used vehicle believing in the Chevrolet reputation. The vehicle had 72000 miles on it when we brought it home and immediately noticed the oil consumption was about a quart every 3000 miles. Not thinking it was a bid deal from what the dealerships were telling us we went with it because we loved the vehicle. Now we have 83000 miles on the vehicle and burn a quart and a half every 3000 miles. That's when I started researching the vehicle only to find I am one of many. Our local chevy dealership won't start an oil consumption test unless we have our oil changed there, the problem with that is we get free oil changes from the dealership we bought the car from. We can't afford to trade this in without being upside down, can somebody please help me with what I should do next.
  • a_dorn2012a_dorn2012 Member Posts: 2
    Need a little more info. Did this 2007 Chevy Suburban come with a warranty from the dealership? If so how many miles does it cover you for? Did you report any oil concerns over the past 11,000 miles to the dealer you purchased from? Most IMPORTANT did you report any concerns to the dealer within 3,000 miles of owning it??? :confuse:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning wizekat78,

If you would like for us to touch base with your dealership(s) about this, we're happy to look into this further. Please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • hwarnerhwarner Member Posts: 1
    I lost drive and 3rd. First, second and reverse continue to work. I removed the pan and changed the filter and fluid, saw nothing in the pan. Still have the same issue. Any ideas of what to do now? Have approx. 145,000 miles on Tahoe, second owner and well maintained vehicle.
  • jzahnjzahn Member Posts: 3
    hwarner, unfortunately I have a 2007 Suburban with 148000 miles on it and the same thing happen to me. When it happen to me I could put it in first gear and take off manually shifting up to drive. Turns out a bearing fell apart and I had to have the transmission rebuilt. $1600.00 ugh!!
  • jb209jb209 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone please help me?!!! I have a 01 chevy tahoe with 180128 miles on it, I just had to put a new rear end in last week the 7th of Dec. this Monday the 10 of Dec, I was driving I left my house and as I was going when it shifted from 1st to 2nd the RPM went up very high and it don't shift until I was going 21 mph, or I can give gas real hard and let up it would shift. And on the freeway it would not go into 4th gear. It takes off good and it will reverse good. Can someone help me
    My 2005 did the same thing this time last year, after having the CPU scanned I was told the throttle body was bad by the Chevy dealer, and then was told by another shop the transmission was shot. To be totally clear it was something like a belt or something for 2nd and 4th gear that was bad but it was the same price in labor to drop the tranny so I had to get a new one installed with a few upgrades. It sucks that my car only had 70k miles on it when it went out and was told the tranny's Chevy used are crap! My cost for upgrades and all was $2900 parts and labor.
  • jb209jb209 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks!!! It's time to just start calling around and see about a new one.
  • farleywalterfarleywalter Member Posts: 6
    97 tahoe has been daily driver no issues. fuel pump goes out and sat for 3 months and i got one put in and started right up and was headed for test drive and my tranny would not shift out of 2nd. started 1st and 2nd great and no 3rd or overdrive which is crazy cause never had issue at all and shifted perfect before it sat for 3 months.. Anyone hav any ideas. it cant be bad just sitting 3 months. i mean it shifted like new before i let it sit for them 3 months. would like some input please
    The o7 models tohoe,suburbansand there trucks are all having ajor tranny issues and they dont seem to wanna recall this issue cause my tranny out of my tahoe and my dads out of his truck and my aunts is out of her suburban and we all bought from same dealership and all hav same tranny. and reading all these post ya chevy has a serious problem and they seem to ignor it and hav always been a chevy lover but if i cant rely on them then i will hav to switch to a brand that will
    I just replaced my fuel pump myself and found fuel pump online for dirt cheap. Duno what year u are talking about but parts store wanted 300 for mine and i got it for $63.50 with free shipping. for 97 tahoe 4x4 5.7 v8 vortech
    Toyota Tacoma is the best truck i hav ever owned besides my 95 chevy..
    Thats is number one problem. u never wanna pull any trailer in over drive or u asking for trouble out of your trans. its not make to be hauling taier in over drve