Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne Electrical/Lighting

13»

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I am sorry to hear about the battery troubles you've experienced recently. You said that taking out the fuses has resolved the troubles, but that you cannot currently use the radio, is this correct? I also understand you're hearing a noise from underneath that cannot be diagnosed?

We can look into this further for you, if you like, by establishing a Customer Assistance case. If you would please email us with more information, including a description of your visits to the dealership to diagnose the "rattle" you described, your name/username and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and your current mileage.

Thank you in advance,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rocketman55rocketman55 Member Posts: 1
    To Lucerneowner

Did you ever get the starting problem fixed and if so what was the problem as l have what seems to be the same problem with our 2006 CXS as of this morning 04/23/12

thanks
    Rocketman55
  • jr456jr456 Member Posts: 3
    Yes I did. They finally replaced the cam position sensor and that fixed the problem.
  • oleman1oleman1 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same problem as described in the message. I asked a similar question as "oleman1". The dealer's number is 317-351-5150. The VIN # is1G4HD57236U124935. I'm sure they would appreciate any assistance you could provide.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning oleman1,

I was unable to access any information on your vehicle with the VIN provided - would you please double check the last 8 digits?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kgarnerkgarner Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    2006 Lucerne was starting fine....didn't appear to show any sign of anything being wrong...went out to start it yesterday and it was dead...no horn no lights nothing....attempted to jump it but it still wouldn't do anything it's like it has no battery at all....does anyone have any idea what it might be?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Did the lights work when the car had jumper cables attached?

If not, check ground cable at both ends. That would affect circuit even if being jumped. If the battery is under rear seat, loosen and clean connection for the ground cable on the floor pan.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• kgarnerkgarner Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much....it is up and running again : )
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >Up and running.

What did you find was the problem?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• bishopdbrucebishopdbruce Member Posts: 1
    I bought the Buick lucerne last year with only 46000 miles .Great deal not so much. The battery dead every week sometimes 3 to 4 per week. I am so sick of this car. I work alone and this is not working for me. I see I am not the only one. GM drop the ball on this one. Vin#... 6U244957
  • jr456jr456 Member Posts: 3
  • scott_lscott_l Member Posts: 1
    This is my mother's car. She is 82 years old and doesn't drive it very much, hence the 6333 original miles, and the battery keeps dying on her. She has replaced the battery once already and now the dealers recommendation is that she sell them her car for $12k and they will put her into a 2008 with 25,000 miles on it. First time I have ever heard of the solution to a mechanical issue on a car would to sell the car and just by a used car with 20,000 more mile on it. Is this the way GM teaches it's dealers to handle customers? Or is this just a case of "ripping off the little old lady". I look forward to hearing from GM CSR on this one, or will I?!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi scott_l

What is the name of the dealership your mother has taken her vehicle to for this issue? Have you had the opportunity to visit another GM dealership for a second opinion? I look forward to your response.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • ne14golfne14golf Member Posts: 3
    I took my 2006 Lucerne in for service and when I picked it up I started having the "dead battery" issue 3 days later. I jump started my car and took it back to the garage that did the work and they tested the battery and alternator and everything checked out fine. I then took a chance and drove the car to visit my daughter (about 120 miles each way) with no problems. Then 4 days later I again had a dead battery. I also have the problem where I cannot remove the key when the battery is dead and I cannot shift into neutral to allow me to move the car. Another frustrating issue is when the battery is dead there is absolutely NO WAY to get into the trunk, whose brilliant idea was it to have no key entry for the trunk?

I took the car to the dealer today on the advice of the garage hoping that they can solve the mystery. My car has 160,000 miles on it and I really like the car but I need to have this problem fixed so I can again have confidence that my car will start every time I need to go somewhere and I won't be left stranded.

Has anyone successfully resolved this "dead battery" electrical issue?

Thanks,
    I'm still having the same dead battery problem after having my car serviced at the dealer. They said I had a short in one of the wires that caused a bad cell in the battery. Had the wire replaced and a new battery installed but 4 days later the same dead battery problem. It has now been back at the dealer for two weeks and they still can't find out what is causing this problem. Still looking for a resolution to this problem.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    That suggests that the failure is random in nature and is not occurring all of the time. There are far too many possibilities to hazard a guess. A technician is really going to have to catch the car in the act, and then troubleshoot to the source before the problem goes back into hiding again. There isn't any other work that technicians can be assigned to do that can be as difficult as this. Oddly enough, the simplest work pays the tech much better so few even try to get good at this. By now the tech assigned to figure this out probably isn't being paid at all for any time that he/she has to invest towards solving the problem. It can be figured out, but it takes patience and a good game plan all the while knowing that it is thankless work. One of the first steps would be to see if the conditions that resulted in the last failure event can be duplicated. Things like how long and frequently does the car get used. How long does it typically sit between uses. What accessories were being used prior to the no-start event?.
    Thanks for your response. The problem seems to happen when I don't drive the car for a day or two. The last time this happened (two days ago) I drove the car for four days in a row and then didn't drive it the fifth day. The sixth day the (new) battery was again totally drained. The car was slow to turn over on the fourth day but did start so I figured it wouldn't start after sitting for a day. I use the radio/clock and I did get a message to "Service Tire Monitor System". Other than that there is no indication of what might be causing the key-off battery drain. I typically drive the car at least every other day, if not every day.

The car is back in the shop and they are going to put in a switch so I can disconnect the battery when I'm not driving. This isn't going to solve the problem, just treating the symptom. I'd really like to solve the problem but if this "fix" allows me to have some faith that my car will start I'll take it. It really is a great running car and a nice ride.