Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Cabrio Warning Lights and Problem Codes

2»

Comments

• girliegiggirliegig Member Posts: 1
    Hi detaildave,
    I hope you're still around because I need step-by-step instructions on how to fix the never-ending beeping of my oil sensor on my 95 Cabrio, and I signed up on this Web site specifically because you seemed to be able to fix what has been driving me crazy. It also seems this is a problem other people have had with their VWs.

So... No leaks. Oil pressure is fine, but the light and alarm won't stop. They usually go off with high rpms. My local dealer doesn't seem to want to touch it, so I thought I'd try to do it myself. While I'm good at electronic/mechanical things, I have very little idea what I'm doing. I don't even know where the oil filter is in my car. Can you walk me through it? My local mechanics seem to have given up on me and my rather beat up vehicle.

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I bought the car used many years ago and it did not come with a manual.
  • stacky1stacky1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am new to this site but wanted to say thanks for the tip. My check engine light was on 2 days after I had taken it in to be fixed. The mechanic had repaired some vacuum hoses on 3 lines. After I drove the car for a day it was back on w/the same error code (P1582). I had seen your post and asked him to clean this part and he must have not taken my girly advise. My boyfriend did as you said and the light has been off ever since. I am the new owner of a 2002 Red Cabrio and loving it, even if it does come with a few repairs. Thanks Again!
  • hallkanehallkane Member Posts: 20
    HI Stacky1 -
    Glad to have helped with the check engine light. Thanks for the feedback. FYI -- We are still doing it from time to time - it still needs it-- with over 150,000 miles!
  • kperry27kperry27 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all! We have a 99 cabrio and the other day when my husband was coming home from work the check engine light popped on, and the car came to a complete stop. He got it towed to auto zone, and there they read they checked the codes to see why the check engine light was on and they told us that one of the spark plugs was bad and that the car needed a tune up. So that is what we did we got new spark plugs, a distributor cap and coil. The only thing we had not changed out was the wires which the guy said we didn't have to right now, but very soon needed to change out. Well the car started up, but the check engine light was still on and now we can here like a ticking nose in the engine and the car is shaking. We asked some friends and they said it could be a vacuum leak and we checked for that last night and found no leaks in the hoses. Then someone else told us to make sure we had the firing order right and that the wires were hooked on correct and we did. The order is right we tripled checked and the wires are on there pretty good. So we still don't know what could be wrong. can anyone give us some guidance so we can get our car moving again. Thanks!
    Yikes, sorry to read about the drastic trouble. Haven't experienced what you have on our 99. One tinsy item we've learned over our 150K miles is we can only use Bosch spark plugs. The car hesitates and misses with other plugs. We dread paying the premium but it performs smoother with them. Also, plug and wire #3 are perpetually a problem. Inside the wire's cap it is often "white" from misfiring, and we have replaced just that wire a few times to achieve a smoother idle. (V W will sell the distributor wires individually). Good Luck!
    Dear Owners of 99 Cabrios -
    Greetings Again. We've found another solution to a persistent P1582 code. It nearly had us stumped, so we drove it with the light on for nearly a year! We found the EGR valve was stuck. Our EGR valve (Exhaust Gas R?) is located at the back of the engine. It is a valve; piston like. It was frozen due to an excessive amount of gunk, apparently from the exhaust. After a removing a few bolts, throttle body cleaner, a good smack from a hammer to loosen the piston, Never Seize, and W-D 40 for good measure, the light has stayed off. We have over 150K on our 99 Cabrio GLS convertible and recently bequeathed it to our teenage daughter, who loves it. Good Luck!
    HallKaneA
  • ernest11ernest11 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for your alternative solution. Could you describe a bit more how to did it? Is it just as simple as removing the EGR valve and cleaning it and the hose attached to it? Do you have more tips to do this? I really will appreciate any description to follow and fix this in my 95 cabrio.

Ernest
    Hi Ernest -
    Sorry, not much additional info beyond the original post. The two men who did the work aren't available to me now. Unfortunately, the check engine light is now back on. So, while there was alot of gunk found there, it is not our only problem.
    HK
  • kbykby Member Posts: 1
    I saw an earlier post with same issue- but did not see any response to that posting.

I had it in to mechanic who is "puzzled".
  • 57raggtop57raggtop Member Posts: 1
    Have an 02 Cabby with only 80k miles, picked the car up cheap because it was abandoned from a wreck. Hit in the front but no damage to Engine or Tranny. Here is my Prob, Just got it on the road, only driven it 2 days parked to clean the inside in my driveway. When i go to crank it up to go to the store nothing happens, thinking the Bat was to low i jump it off but still nothing.. Come to find out the Indicator in the cluster is reading the trans in D (drive) while the shifter is in park..Can move the shifter from P to Manual 1 and the indicator does not move in the cluster just stays at D. Trying to find out if this is a trans Issue or a computer Issue?
    If anyone has any info plz help..
  • melissa977melissa977 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 VW Cabrio that I need to get through the deq. I have had someone look at it twice and I keep gettting the code P1582 (Manufacturer specific code?) and P0411 (which is "secondary air injection system incorrect air flow detected").
    The breather tube was broken and I had that replaced. And then had the codes cleared from the computer. The check engine light is not on but also does not come on when the key is in the ignition. Is it possible that the bulb is burned out? I did not have a VW shop look at the car. Is it possible they could not clear the codes completely from the computer? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
  • mwker2011mwker2011 Member Posts: 1
    My key will not go all the way into my igniton, so I cant unlock my steering wheel. Volkswagen say I need to replace my ignition switch. My electrial devices still functions so I dont need the housing part. Volkswagen is charging of course out of the pocket crzy expense...Any suggestion.
  • joracojoraco Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Is it really possible to clean the Mass Airflow Sensor on this vehicle. I heard rubbing alcohol works fine, as long as it dries up really good. Can anyone let me know if this is true? Thank You.
  • amanda_84amanda_84 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 96 Cabrio, and I knew it had a few problems with it. However, after fixing a few of the problems, the car started idling extremely rough, and shuts off if you don't press the gas when stopped. I replaced the throttle body, as per the dealer suggested, and it still runs horribly. If you drive it like you are racing, it drives fine. However, if you try to be gentle, it bogs and shuts off after you shift right around and under 2700 RPM's. After that it drives fine. I even replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and it didn't change the way it drove. Any ideas? Please help! Oh, plus the speedomotor doesn't work. I replaced the speed sensor, I believe the tranny one, but still no speedomotor.
  • sxtr34sxtr34 Member Posts: 2
    Hello i'm having same prob did u fix it and how :confuse:
  • sxtr34sxtr34 Member Posts: 2
    Have an 01 Cabby with only 114 k miles,picked up car cheap. Here is my Prob, Just got it on the road, only driven it 2 days parked to clean the inside in my driveway. When i go to crank it up to go to the store nothing happens, thinking the Bat was to low i jump it off but still nothing.. Come to find out the Indicator in the cluster is reading the trans in D (drive) while the shifter is in park..Can move the shifter from P to Manual 1 and the indicator does not move in the cluster just stays at D. Trying to find out if this is a trans Issue or a computer Issue?
    If anyone has any info plz help..Thanks
  • craffieldcraffield Member Posts: 13
    I am looking for the heater motor (fan) resistor location on my 99 cabrio. Fan positions 1,2,3 do not work only the high position 4.
  • edwardsvwedwardsvw Member Posts: 1
    The way you remove theThe engine diagnostic connector cap located directly above the cigarette lighter is to first remove the ashtray by pressing the small button located on the bottom front of it and then sliding the cap to the left where the ashtray was this will take no effort
  • cabrio02cabrio02 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody i have a cabrio 2002 i bought 2 years ago went threw the worst nightmare ever when i bought my car because the person who sold me the car screwed me by taking the check engine light bulb out had it illegally smogged so i would never know it until i got it smogged again which would be 2 years later or if i had engine problems which i didnt have.  He apparentlly removed this bulb to hide the catallack convertor problem from me. Anyway with all that being said all of it was fix and my car been running fine. But the other day in to it and all of sudden my windshield wipers wont turn off unless i pull the fuse and when i turn on my lights the light in the dash go out or fickers out. I turn the light switch on and off the come on and off. I took off the instrument panal and clean all the stuff off by the sterring wheel and seem to work better for a while but it still doing it. I dont know if theres a seperate bulb for the dash light in the instument panal or not. Does anyone know this ??