Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• mediapushermediapusher Member Posts: 305
    In answer to your quesetion.............

GM cars that I have owned??:
    ----```` Pontiac Grand AM --1994```-------
    ONCE WAS ENOUGH. NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER AGAIN...

Problems with car:
    1. Water pump failed after 2 years

2. Holes accumulated in buttons on conrol panel due to repeated use and because they were hollow :lemon: :sick: (I HAD NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN WITH ANY OTHER CAR BEFORE OR SINCE)

3. Electric motors in not one, but 2 of the windows failed :lemon:

4. Electrical system problems. Battery wouldn't hold a charge. It was only 2 years old. Shouldn't batteries last at least 4 or 5 years??

5. Car had excessive body lean and roll :lemon:

6. Cheap feeling switch gear. What's it made out of , plastic? :lemon:

7. Car had a distinctly cramped feeling to interior

8. Squeaks and rattles. Mickey mouse construction...

9. Cheap and hollow plastics throughout the interior everywhere. Grotesque...

Disgusting......GM cars are what you buy when you are down. I hope I'm never that down again.

After two and half years, bought a Honda Accord, and thought I died and went to heaven...

There are plenty that will try and swindle me into the idea that GM cars have changed. Oh? Have they really? 2.5 weeks ago I rented a 2007 Chevy Impala-not a precision crafted autombile by any stretch of the imagination. You can scroll back and find my review. It isn't worthy of retyping or copying and pasting for that matter.
    by plekto Apr 16, 2007 (2:09 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Mediapusher, give us dates and models of GM cars you owned. Tell us what the problems with each one was BESIDES STYLING OR HOW IT DROVE. Mechanical problems only.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Oh my gawd :\ the humanity. Somebody shoot me now please. I can't handle this torture. :\ The V-8-6-4-tech is what caused massive defections from Cadillac. Are you aware of that? It wasn't ready for market when released, and not surprisingly was a maintenance nightmare. Apparently you're fine with GM using the U.S.A. public as "guinea pigs".

Yes it was a troubled engine but GM, probably could never predict the problems they would encounter. It's like your Toyota's you love so much that sludge up. :P

In response to my earlier posts people see nothing wrong with comparing SUVs to cars. This strikes ME as strange.

Well not as strange as some of the comparo's sone unique members make on here. ;)

How anyone can sit here with a straight face and claim the Cadillac Catera wasn't a lemon is preposterous. I'll let you WASTE your money and I'll use mine wisely.

It was actually a nice comfortable car. It was the founding father to the CTS. The Opels, main problem was not the styling orinterior which it employed a fairly nice one but it was severely under powered. ;)

The CTS was a top selling car. It's reliability has always been average. Cadillac is fine with that . It's not selling because of the reasons you mentioned I agree, yet Cadillac will do nothing to speed up the release schedule for spring or summer. This is NOT good marketing.

Kinda like Toyota, speeds up the redesigns on their trucks and SUV's to meet market conditions. :confuse: The Land Cruiser, hasn't been changed in what 10 years ? My god that thing is like 3 generations behind and only sells respectably because it's so over-hyped and lives off it's past achievements. If GM, dared leave a vehicle on the market that long they would be squashed by the auto press every chance they got. ;)

And I don't have a wife, so I don't know what you're talking about. I have a husband.

I always thought you were a male ? :confuse: I don't see what he said that made you get so defensive on the subject of Cadillac. Your like a vulture and pick at every bad bone Cadillac, has ever had. What's next are you going to start talking about flaws Cadillac, had when they started up the company ? :sick:

Rocky
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >It (Catera) was actually a nice comfortable car. It was the founding father to the CTS. The Opels, main problem was not the styling orinterior which it employed a fairly nice one but it was severely under powered.

I know two people who have one. They love it. They both have had some maintainance and still love the car!

>Kinda like Toyota, speeds up the redesigns on their trucks and SUV's to meet market conditions. The Land Cruiser, hasn't been changed in what 10 years ? My god that thing is like 3 generations behind and only sells respectably because it's so over-hyped and lives off it's past achievements. If GM, dared leave a vehicle on the market that long they would be squashed by the auto press every chance they got

You know by now that some people are very myopic about their car company. They go with the current trend and are not trendsetters themselves. Do those Land Cruisers and 4-runners get 40 mpg like some believe all Toyotas get? No. But they have no flaws to the lemmings.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

>GM cars that I have owned??:
    ----```` Pontiac Grand AM --1994```-------
    ONCE WAS ENOUGH.

Now it's once. Before it sounded like a whole group.

>1. Water pump failed after 2 years

Stuff happens. Toyotas and Hondas also have water pumps and they fail. Sometimes maintenance is a factor.

>Electric motors in not one, but 2 of the windows failed

Sometimes mechanics don't troubleshoot, they just replace. There have been problems with motors weakening after _years_ of use in more than small GMs. But often it's maintenance like runs not lubed, wiring and connection problems, adjust of the tracks in the door...

>4. Electrical system problems. Battery wouldn't hold a charge. It was only 2 years old.

Sometimes batteries fail. Another manager had their Volvo battery fail early. Cost them $250. Sometimes driving patterns and accessory use causes continual drain on battery which never gets fully recharged. Again maintenance would be recharging battery if the Delco eye indicates it's running at below hydroscopic solution density.

>5. Car had excessive body lean and roll

Were tires up to correct pressure or above? And sometimes heavy driver and passenger weights can cause excessive body roll.

Some people didn't believe me earlier when I spoke about Sigma transmissions. So here is the link.

Sigma transmisions for some of Cadillac's Sigma platform cars are built in FRANCE. The highly anticipated release of the 2008 Cadillac CTS will have it's transmission built in FRANCE

Realizing these and other sweeping changes, even a diehard foreign origin car guy like me may soon purchase a Caddy.

click--> Facts about Sigma Transmissions
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    imidazol97: And sometimes heavy driver and passenger weights can cause excessive body roll.

Based on your comments regarding the narrow design of Honda Accord seats, and the superiority of GM seats in this regard, one could surmise that heavier people favor GM cars, so the company should take this into account when tuning the chassis. ;)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "Disgusting......GM cars are what you buy when you are down"

So - I must have been 'down' when I bought my Corvette, last Fall.

Wow - I never knew being 'down' could feel so great!
    - Ray
    Feeling no need now to feel 'up' ever again......
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    The five speed automatic is built in France, yes, probably because it was put into production for BMW. It is a GM transmission. However, the six speed automatic is built here in the USA. GM may use the plant in France to build six speed transmission too.

While the 8-6-4 engine was a maintenance hog, I think that the replace engine, the 4100, was far worse for Cadillac's reputation. The 4100 had a design flaw that resulted in about 25% of the engines to fail. This design flaw was in production for about 3 or so years before it was figured out.
    according to GM's website, is built in the USA, not France.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Am I the only 1 seeing these 2 messages from yesterday as the 2 most recent posts???????
    2022 X3 M40i
    The Allante sold at a rate of 3000 per year for the 7 years that it was in production. It was a FWD two passenger Cadillac based on the Eldorado platform. The Reatta was very similar, in that it was basically a two passenger version of the Riviera. Why GM put both into production is not clear to me. Why they thought shipping the Allante to Italy would make it a better car is also not clear to me.

Both the Allante and Reatta were aimed at the two passenger luxury car market. I am sure GM expected to sell them to GM owners who wanted a two passenger luxury sporty model. I don't think they expected to owners of European luxury sporty models to trade them for one of the GM models.
    Since I'm not above average width, I wonder if the Accord seats that I tested were made to give that feeling intentionally. I don't like it. I love the cloth and the leather seats in my full-sized cars. Others are welcome to their preference as long as they accept mine as one choice.

Cadillac seats are superb.

• nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    caddy better be superb in every way when compare to a sub $20k accord
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Apparently you're fine with GM using the U.S.A. public as "guinea pigs"

And Toyota didn't do the same with the hybrids that stalled while cruising down the Interstate? C'mon you have probably never owned a GM vehicle and most likely not a Cadillac. How does driving a Corolla 160k miles make you an expert on GM failures?
    Your "I remember" intro speaks volumes. What happened 55 years ago has nothing to do with want people want today when it comes to cars.

Retro seems to be doing well. Take the PT Cruiser and HHR.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    "Disgusting......GM cars are what you buy when you are down. I hope I'm never that down again."

That is pretty sad if thats really the way you think.

If I were to buy a Toyota and had the so called problems that you had (Yes, read the Toyota forums for the complaints), I surely wouldn't be going to their forum crying foul and taking personal issue with the company. Based on your commentary I bet if this happened to your Toyota you would probably buy one again without jumping ship.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's some server hiccup being looked at that's causing some posts to get repeated. We're leaving the dupes for the IT folks to troubleshoot.

Mediapusher, one reason the Escalade means Caddy to me more than the CTS is because I have trouble with the numeric names. I'd have to go find a photo to remind myself what the CTS looks like - the 'slade is lodged in my memory.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    So the truth finally leaks out. Did you slip up ?

mediapusher, you always sounded like you owned more than one GM, car. The Grand-Am was a economy car back in 94'. Unfortunately, the Pontiac Grand-Am was a bad car. :(

I can't think of a bad Cadillac, made since 94' ;)

Rocky
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    Actually, I find my father's Buick Park Avenue seats to be nice, too. I really like the heated seats feature.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Geeze! I didn't know I had it so bad! I have no credit card debt, no car debt, and no other debt besides a very modest mortgage payment. I have a well-paying job and even a decent part-time gig. If how I live is being down, being up must be absolutely mind-blowing! I guess I was down every time I bought a new Cadillac - January 1989, November 1993, and January 2002. Hard times indeed!
    I am with you. Being out of debt is the most refreshing feeling I know of. I will never pay another nickel in interest for a vehicle. Money down the toilet. Maybe a small home mortgage as long as the interest is deductible.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Much to my surprise and horror, my father leased a new Caddy Catera (If I remember, a giveaway lease and he knew it was not so much a Caddy as a Europen Opel. He always dug Euro cars...).

And he truly enjoyed driving it. He found it smooth, comfortable, liked the interior and thought it to be of adequate power. A great car to cruise in from FL to CT. This, of course, was when he was able to drive it. No more Caddy for him as the Catera spent A LOT of time in the shop. Unfortunately for Caddy/GM, the reliability of the Catera reinforced the perception of (poor) GM quality for him. Rather than the revelation of driving a GM product that he enjoyed caused him to rethink his position.

I had one GM (Olds) car, in the early '90s, a company car. It struck me as basically the same car they had been building since the late '70s. At 11,000 miles the gas tank developed a severe leak. The tank had split at the top! Thanks, GM. Replaced with a Mercury Sable in '92. Nothing too bad to say other than a bit loud and underpowered. But much more to my liking than the Olds. And then a '95 Dodge Intrepid. Great style in and out. Poor build quality and much wind/road noise. But reliable. Lost job, kept car and had a good enough overall experience to:

Yet, my mind has widened since I went crazy and bought a '99 Chrysler 300M. Loved it, no major issues. Restored my faith in domestics. Will check out the '08 CTS for consideration to replace my very cool '05 TL some day. If the evil wife lets me, that is... :cry:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    One can't help but giggle at the idea that the 8-6-4-2-0 Caddy engine was a good engine or that the Catera was a good car.

Here's what Edmunds has to say about V-8-6-4 variable displacement V8:

Infamy came in 1981 with the introduction of the V-8-6-4 variable displacement V8. Based on the 6.0-liter Cadillac V8, the V-8-6-4 theory was that individual cylinders would be electronically shut down as engine loads varied; a V8 for acceleration, a V6 for moderate loads and a V4 during cruise. It would have been nice — if it had worked. Instead, it was a mechanical nightmare only slightly less embarrassing than the ongoing diesel debacle.
    Generations

Saying that it was a good engine except for the problems is like saying the Hindenburg was a good aircraft except for the fire. It's true enough, but.......

As for the Catera, well... here's what actual owners had to say about them at carsurvey.org

And here's what Edmunds review for the 2000 Catera said

So, is the Catera still one of the top five most foolish cars made? No, the car has seen enough improvements while simultaneously benefiting from the creation of even more foolish cars (can you say Pontiac Aztek or Toyota Echo?)

Full Test: 2000 Cadillac Catera

Again, gentlemen, you're entitled to opinions, but you're not entitled to rewrite history.....
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    The CTS was a top selling car. It's reliability has always been average. Cadillac is fine with that...

Because... the CTS cost half what the imports do to repair. Compare the cost of say, even rotors on a 5 series or E-Class. Holy cow - they want HOW much? Or a transmission rebuild. $5K sounds like a bargain to me...

See, the CTS you can safely OWN where the BMW you have to lease in order to keep from being eaten alive.

Oh - and Mediapusher, I *knew* your story sounded like the typical "I had a bad GM car back in the middle ages and I know it's all crap - it always will be!" reaction we see all the time here.

The only car GM makes that's as bad as the best cars they made back then is maybe the Cobalt or Aveo. Things have improved a lot since the early 90s.
    There must be a few icons in these Cadillac ads.

Check out the Classic Car Bonanza Straightline blog for lots more old car pics and ads.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,055
    75% North American parts content in a Cobalt. This per the window stickers, and in several places on the 'net. Wrong yet again, mediapusher.

Bill
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    ...Cadillac tried three times for a small car and finally got it right.

Cimmaron - Strike One!
    Catera - Strike Two!
    CTS -HOME RUN!!!
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Except that the CTS isn't a small car by any definition.
    There are still a lot of Cateras around here. I think the owners just view them as BMW-like autos as far as maintainance. You gotta give 'em maintenance.

The first small Cadillac was the mid-70's Seville, which was small compared to the 75-76 Deville. The downsized 77 Cadillacs were still bigger than the Seville, but the difference was smaller. The Seville was on a 114 inch wheelbase and 204 inches long by 72 wide. The Deville was on a 130 inch wheelbase and 231 inches long by 80 wide. The later 70's deVille's were about 10 inches shorter. The all new 1980 Seville was a bit longer than the first generation, but nearly the same size.

Cadillac then wanted a compact car in the early 80's, which was the Cimarron. This car was a re-badged Cavalier, and was not much of a Cadillac. It would have been much better to have made the second generation Seville smaller than the first generation, but then it would not have been an E-body/platform model.

The Catera was a hurry up quick, Cadillac needs a sport sedan to compare with the Lincoln LS. The Catera was not a compact car like the Cimarron. The CTS was a replacement for the Catera, which was a place holder, while Cadillac designed a real Cadillac sports sedan. We now have the CTS and STS sports sedans, plus a fairly good sports utility vehicle in the SRX.

The point is that the first Seville was a small Cadillac, followed by a Cimarron. The Catera and CTS are not small Cadillacs, but really are sports sedans, something else entirely.
    Really? I see it as a small car. I could've been the first person in Philly to buy a CTS as the dealer showed me the first one off the carrier. I took it out for a spin. It handled well, but was much too small for my tastes.
    The STS may be closer to what you want, but it is not an oversized luxury barge like the DTS, which really seems to be the sort of car that you like.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    6L50 will be built in the US and Europe. In Europe it will be used in BMW's. US built will be used here in Sigmas.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Really? I see it as a small car.

Depends on what you drive. Too many the 3 series seems to be thought of as a normal sized car. I get out of my wonderful SRX and into a 3 and wow, what a tiny thing. But the CTS is larger than the 3 and not quite a tiny thing. All depends on what you drive and what your needs are. I get out of my Envoy XL and get into the SRX and it feels so low to the ground and kind of skinny inside with my wife (not my almost pregnant husband) next to me.
    The SRX, like BMW's X5, is designed to be a "sporty" SUV, not an off road utility vehicle like a Jeep or the Trailblazer. The SRX is really more of a wagon, but with an SUV like body.
    I sat in the SRX. I loved the moonroof that went way back. It was a bit small for my taste. I liked the Escalade better. I would buy if my wife liked the looks. Cadillac is building some nice vehicles. In my experience I will take a GM dealer for service over a ToyLex dealer any day. They are easier to deal with. At least in San Diego.
    For the money, the GMC Denali may be as good as an Escalade. In either case, they are better for towing or off road use than the SRX. However, a Hummer is probably best for deep off road use. I am looking at getting a program SRX, but my local dealer has yet to produce one. The 2007 program SRX's are becoming available now. I want a V8, with a nav. Would like the mag shocks too, but will settle for the V8 + nav with 3rd seat (utility package).
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    It's almost as big as a 300C.

CTS:
    Length 190.1 in (4829 mm)
    Width 70.6 in (1793 mm)
    Height 56.7 in (1440 mm)
    Wheelbase 113.4 in (2880 mm)

300C:
    Length 196.8 in (5015 mm)
    Width 74.1 in (1880 mm)
    Height 58.4 in (1475 mm)
    Wheelbase 120.0 in (3050 mm)

I can't consider anything larger than a 1992 Camry to be "small".

Length 187.8 in
    Width 69.7 in
    Height 54.9 in
    Wheelbase 103.1 in

Edit- Catera numbers:

Length 192.2 in
    Width 70.3 in
    Height 56.4 in
    Wheelbase 107.5 in
    The big difference is the 300's width, at 74 inches, making it a roomy interior. Even the STS is not as wide. The DTS is about the same width. The CTS again is a sports sedan, not a small one either, rather than a compact car. What Cadillac did with the CTS was to make an American or Cadillac entry level sports sedan, rather than a clone of the BMW 3-series.

The Camry is bigger than the Corolla so I would call the Camry a midsize, with the Corolla more a small car. There are so many sizes of cars that one cannot say much more than that one is either larger or smaller than some other car. Cars from the 1960's were fairly big, some bigger than others.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    Oh no Steve we CAN'T have any talk about cars that go back THAT far, because Toyota isn't that old. It wouldn't be fair (insert sarcastic reaction here) :P
    Ok, even though this is a Caddy discussion, here's some Toyota pics for you from one of my CarSpace friends just to get you over hump day. :shades:
    rayainsw -

It's really interesting how people can get here on this board and try and DENY and DOWNPLAY the horrible reputation General Motors has racked up for itself.

Why can't they apply the same quality to Corvettes and Cadillacs as they should with their lower end Pontiacs and Chevys? People that buy Pontiacs aren't asking for much, just a car that doesn't break down and isn't made cheaper than the competition.

Wouldn't you agree that there shouldn't be that much stuff breaking as what did with my old Pontiac Grand Am? Keep in mind I don't drive like a nutcase, I drive my cars easy for a guy.

Driving a Corvette, you probably feel like you're driving a Ferrari, puhleeeez. It Reminds me of these people that go out and buy Camaros and think they look real cool :\:\...tacky
    Maybe you should give GM another shot. At least I gave Toyota another try after my horrible experience with the 1964 Land Cruiser. I bought a new 1994 Toyota PU truck. It fell apart with less than a 100k miles. Clutch went out at 11k miles and the dealer said it was not covered under the warranty. Needed a new engine at 97k miles etc etc.

GM has been much better to deal with than ToyLex since 1988 anyway. I think you got your moneys worth out of the Corolla. Time to buy that CTS and enjoy life a little. Then if it gives you fits you can come on here with a credible complaint.
    Of course they're going to tell you it's built in the U.S.A., cause they don't want you to know it's built in France. They're hoping you'll be confused by where the 6-speed is built compared to where the 5 speed is built, as well as where the Sigma transmission for the upcoming year model releases are built
    Gagrice-

Would you please explain to me why I should fix something if it isn't broke. Based on your response to the problems I had with my Pontiac Grand AM that is the premise of your "logic". It's not logic, it's STUPIDITY. You think a person should continue to put their hands on the burner to get burned. Why????

I have never had any of those kinds of silly problems with any Toyotas or Hondas I bought after that horrible Pontiac. And these people want $52.00 an hour to build this garbage they call Pontiac cars? Deplorable....Last year I rented a 2006 Pontiac Grand Am and noticed cheap craftsmanship, ill fittin' this and that, cheap feeling switchgear. What's it made out of? PLASTIC?? So obviously GM doesn't care to change. If they did, they would have done it by now, they would have done it in the 1980's.

Now I realize that there may be some people whose experiences have been different than mine, but I can't speak for those people, I can only go by my own horrible experience with a GM car. And judging from the exodus of people that shifted away from GM cars to other competition in the past, I know my experience was not an aberration.

It's not just cars, It goes the same for any product. I like the features, and reliability of a Siemen's dishwasher, I'll probably buy another Siemens dishwasher in 10 years and I'll certainly recommend it, however I wouldn't recommend a Whirlpool dishwasher, cause they suck.

G.M. brought the problems they have in the U.S.A. these days upon themselves, and apparently they don't care.

---mediapusher
    Maybe you should give GM another shot. At least I gave Toyota another try after my horrible experience with the 1964 Land Cruiser. I bought a new 1994 Toyota PU truck. It fell apart with less than a 100k miles. Clutch went out at 11k miles and the dealer said it was not covered under the warranty.

GM has been much better to deal with than ToyLex since 1988 anyway. I think you got your moneys worth out of the Corolla. Time to buy that CTS and enjoy life a little. Then if it gives you fits you can come on here with a credible complaint.
    Lemko-

I don't see the CTS as a small car either. This could be due to a generation gap thing. It's somewhat midsize like a BMW 530

reference text::::
    Really? I see it as a small car. I could've been the first person in Philly to buy a CTS as the dealer showed me the first one off the carrier. I took it out for a spin. It handled well, but was much too small for my tastes.
    I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't believe that I owned a terrible Pontiac. Based on my experience with a Pontiac I wouldn't buy a Cadillac. GM should have higher standards than cheap plastics, underpowered engines, half baked technologies, etc...

Why don't you read what kind of reviews your "beloved" Cadillac CTS is getting these days and tell me the truth about today's Cadillac?
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    My, my, my. Let me break out the violins and hankerchiefs. ONE bad experience and all you do is cry, cry, cry, the blues. I had a bad experience w/ a Panasonic TV. Crapped out after 2 months. Went back, complained, got a new Panasonic, been running fine for 10 yrs. I didn't swear them off, and it paid off. BTW, I thought you said you had a husband?
    Last year I rented a 2006 Pontiac Grand Am and noticed cheap craftsmanship, ill fittin' this and that, cheap feeling switchgear.

As a matter of fact I rented a Grand Am in 2005 and took it back the first day and got a Malibu. I liked the trunk better on the Malibu. A couple months later I rented a new Camry it was fine also. There was no appreciable difference in the comfort ride or handling between the Camry and the Malibu. Both just cars or appliances for getting around. Next trip back to Hawaii I rented a 2006 Trailblazer it was much nicer than either of the cars I rented. Better ride, comfort, handling, getting in and out was much easier. So you see you have limited your driving to a very narrow band of vehicles. Try a solid SUV or truck and see why GM outsells Toyota. And probably will for a good while. I imagine that GM makes more money on a PU truck than Toyota makes on two Camry's or half a dozen of those cheap little Corolla jobs. Have they had their ups and downs? Of course they have. Can the leadership walk up to a retiree without feeling guilty, you bet. The same will not be the case with retirees from Toyota and many other robber baron companies in this country. You can drive that little POC Corolla till the wheels fall off then buy another one. It will never be in a class with a Cadillac. Just like the Corolla, Kellogg's sells lots of Frosted Flakes, that does not mean either one is any good. Nor does it mean that those that buy them are particularly smart.
    I was reading an Auto Week mag at the doctor's office last night. It was about Cadillac being the standard of the world. It had a 12 cyl car pictured.

>Can the leadership walk up to a retiree without feeling guilty,

Already the nonunion plant at Georgetown was under fire for firing older workers while we were on spring break in the Smokeys. The firing of older workers for various nonperformance reasons will hide a lot of the descrimination, but eventually it will be obvious. I'm wondering if this is happening at the Smyrna plant also. I'll ask our friends to see if they have heard about any occuring there.