Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Uncontrolled Acceleration

Comments

• billyendobillyendo Member Posts: 1
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    I just had an accident. From a side road, I was attempting to cross two lanes of traffic into a third lane. I did not see a vehicle in the third lane and pulled in between the two stopped lanes of traffic to make a right hand turn. I struck a vehicle that I did not see that was travelling in the third lane. Once the vehicle was struck it began to accelerate and the brakes would not work. It jumped the curb. I made a conscious decision to turn into a 30 foot cement wall, going 20-30 mph (I'm guessing since I did not look at the accelerator) to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was totalled. Fortunately, no one was hurt. The only part I am a little uncertain about is whether the uncontrolled acceleration and loss of brakes occurred prior to, or after, jumping the curb.
  • toyotatiredtoyotatired Member Posts: 1
    This may not sound correct but it has, unfortunately, been documented time and time again all over the US.
    For us when our Sienna surged both myself and my husband checked to ensure that the break was the pedal being used. I was depressing the break as hard as possible and the only way to stop the vehicle as it pushed another car that was parked was to turn the ignition off.
    And in our case Toyota (again) claimed they had never heard of this from an owner before.
  • bertha06bertha06 Member Posts: 15
    Same thing happened to me in my 2006 Toyota van. When this happened, the police, my ins co,, everyone assumes it was my fault. The truth is, I was applying the brake, but the van accelerated instead. I took my foot off and reapplied the brake 3 times. The third time I pushed as hard as I could, but the van accelerated faster and faster. There was a car in front of me, concrete wall on the right, no room to pass, so I went over a median strip on the right, and wound up hitting a concrete wall on the other side. My van was totaled. I have since read in the owner's manual that it has an Event Data Recorder that should show what happened, if the brake pedal was applied, how fast the vehicle was going, etc. Now I am having trouble getting anyone to access the information. Toyota sent someone to inspect the vehicle, and they say the brake system operated as designed. Does not say how they came to this conclusion, since the van was totaled. I think it is a computer problem that is causing this to happen, and I think the Event Data Recorder would show this. Has anyone else that this has happened to had access to the Event Data Recorder, or are your vehicles equipped with one? Mine says in the owner's manual that it does have one.
  • khanectionkhanection Member Posts: 20
    i am super close to buying a new 2010 Sienna but after reading this thread have put my horses on hold... should i just opt for the Odyssey? They are basically the same but i prefer the look of Sienna; Odyssey is boxy.

Or is someone sure this uncontrolled acceleration has been resolved in later models?

Please advise.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The brakes have seperate hydraulic lines - they work even when the vehicle is turned off.

They're not by-wire, so I don't see how there would be any connection to the accelerator.

You sure your foot didn't just slip? Also, how did you have enough time to apply the brakes 3 different times, in the middle of all that panic?

It just seems impossible. The hit the brake pedal and it pushes fluid through the brake lines, which apply pressure on the brake calipers, even without power assist this still works.

You hit the brakes, which are not by-wire, and that floored the accelerator, and at the same time the brake system failed completely, even though the two systems are not inter-connected?

It just seems like a loose floor mat getting stuck in the accelerator is more likely to cause something like that.
    At the time this all started, I had time. I was coming down a hill and saw the car ahead. I knew there was a 4 way stop ahead that the car in front of me, as well as myself, would have to stop for. I applied my brake to slow down, nothing happened, then the vehicle accelerated. I don't know about hydraulic lines and all that, but I do know what happened to me. Are you a Toyota mechanic, do you know all about the computers? I think in this world of computers, anything can happen. You will believe it if it happens to you.
    Does anyone know anything about the Event Data Recorder that some of these vans are equipped with, and how to access the information they contain? They are supposed to record lots of information when an accident happens, so why aren't they being looked at?
    I'm sure if you asked Toyota, they would say there never was a problem, but all of us that have posted what happened to us, know better. I myself would never ever consider buying another Toyota product, which, by the way, Lexus is. I noticed someone in an earlier post had a similar problem with a Lexus. Before I bought my Sienna, (new, I was the only owner) I looked at Consumer Reports, etc. I decided that Toyota and Honda minivans appeared to have the best ratings, and decided on the Toyota. That will never happen again. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    I'm not a professional mechanic but I have bled the brakes. Pretty standard.
    I think this is more of a computer problem than an actual brake problem. This is a quote from my owner's manual under the section titled EVENT DATA RECORDER:

"Your vehicle has computers that monitor and control certain aspects of your vehicle. These computers assist in driving and maintaining optimal vehicle performance. Besides storing data useful for troubleshooting, there is a system to record data in a crash or a near car crash event. This is called an Event Data Recorder (EDR).
    The SRS airbag sensor assembly contains the EDR. In a crash or a near car crash event, this device may record some or all of the following information:
    Engine speed
    Whether the brake pedal was applied or not
    Vehicle speed
    To what extent the accelerator pedal was depressed
    Position of the transmission selector lever
    Whether the driver and front passenger wore the seat belts or not
    Driver's seat position
    Front passenger's occupant classification
    SRS airbag deployment data"

This is the end of my quote from the owner's manual, however, it does go on to say there may be another EDR if your vehicle is equipped with a vehicle stability control system, which mine was, that contains even more info about how the vehicle was acting.
    Toyota sent someone out to inspect my totalled vehicle. I assumed they would check this info as part of their inspection, but I was wrong. As soon as I called and started asking questions about this, they got the report out that very day, the report which said basically nothing, and got the vehicle released so it could be sold, which it was immediately. Again, when many of the newer Toyotas are equipped with this EDR, why aren't they accessing this information, or are they and they don't want us to know the results. I feel that these EDRs, if they do in fact contain all the info the owner's manual says they do, would tell what really did happen in the case of many of the problems people have posted on this message board, including the vehicle accelerating even though the brake is being depressed, as in my case, and also all the people that have experienced their vehicles moving after they have put them in park and gotten out of them. This is the really frustrating part to me, knowing the information was there and nobody would look at it, so then what, we get blamed for the accident, if we are lucky enough to survive it, and then get higher insurance premiums or worse. I hope someone else that this happens to can get someone to access the information in the EDR.
  • nomoretoyonomoretoyo Member Posts: 1
    On April 9 2009 I had just turned onto a side street going approx 5-6 MPH when a car ran a stop sign hitting my 2005 Sienna XLE on the rear door/back wheel area on driver's side pushing my angle slightly to the left. My van immediately went into a full acceleration ramming into a car (going in opposite direction) waiting for a red light,all the time with the engine reving. My van actually pushed this stopped vehicle sideways into the curb (only a matter of feet). At the time of impact I saw a brief puff of either dust or smoke so I was going to let van inch back off the hit vehicle before putting into park. While shifting the van with engine still reving van shot backward across a curb, hit a boulder and then into a palm tree. Only then did the engine subside.. All this took place in a MATTER OF SECONDS. The entire time I was going backward I repeatedly hit the brakes to no avail.
    I filed a report with Toyota (case #0904117041) and with NHTSA (confirmation #10265288). As with other cases, Toyota sent a technician to inspect van,, said no problem found. Sent to me what appeared to be a "form" letter referencing my "pulling into a parking space" which was not the case at all. NHTSA has never corresponded with me since taking the original report.
    There was no way that I would have ever gotten behind the wheel of this Sienna
    again. Just thankful no one else was involved. DO NOT BUY TOYOTA!!!!
    I couldn't agree more, DO NOT BUY TOYOTA!!! I cannot believe how they can keep this problem from being acknowledged. Everybody thinks Toyota has such a great reputation, but they have never experienced what we have. I just wonder how many more people this has happened to that don't report it to anybody, or post a message. Of course if they aren't lucky as we were to survive the incident, then nobody ever is aware of what really happened. I have called NHTSA a few times about my report, and they tell me it takes quite a while before they look at the report and decide whether or not to investigate further. So what good does that do, by then the vehicle is gone, if it was totaled like mine was. What are they going to look at. You would think if they keep getting these reports they would realize there really is a big problem here.
    To be fair - all bets are off after you were hit by a car running a stop sign.

Such a violent impact can throw all sorts of things off. Hydraulic brake lines can snap and leak out pressure, for instance. Leaky fluids, short circuits, who knows. Your Sienna was not intact.

I don't think your case is the same as the others here, not by a long shot.
    Hi ateixeira
    I am really wondering what your interest is in all this. Do you work for Toyota? It seems you are always trying to come up with some other reason why these things are not happening, and are not the fault of the vehicle. What's the deal anyway?
    Yeah, right, they helped pay for my Miata and Forester.

The poster was blaming Toyota instead of the driver that ran the red light and slammed into his van.

I mean, seriously.... :confuse:
    Has anybody besides me been watching and wondering why the Toyota Sienna isn't on the recall list for the acceleration problems that have finally come to the attention of the news media? Obviously has the same problem, yet no SUV's or vans are on the recall list. By the way, my Sienna had floor mats that were hooked to the floor so they didn't move around at all. I definitely think Toyota is still not admitting to what the real problem is. For me it was difinitely not the floor mats that caused the brakes not to work and at the same time, the vehicle accelerated rapidly out of control. I still think it's some kind of computer problem. It was so scary hearing the 911 recording of the highway patrolman's accident when they played it on the news a few weeks ago, because that's just what happened to me. I feel lucky to be alive, and I hope the real problem is found before more people die. I am just so glad they are finally taking the problem seriously and investigating it.
    The design of the gas pedal is different, that's why. The recall is to cut and re-shape the gas pedal.
  • injuredinjured Member Posts: 1
    I was just injured when my 2003 Toyota Sienna had an uncontrolled acceleration into a retaining wall in a parking deck. Any suggestions?
    File a formal complaint here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
    The recall may be for the gas pedals, but I don't believe that's the problem. To the person with the 2003 Sienna that wanted to know what to do, yes, definitely report it. If everybody that this happens to reports it, maybe they will reallize that it isn't the gas pedal or the floor mats. That is what I meant when I said why isn't the Sienna on the recall list? I know I reported my accident, but haven't heard a word about it.
  • backwoodsbackwoods Member Posts: 12
    ateixera---you must have some association with Toyota or you ASSUME way too much. I presume you know what they say about individuals who do so !!!!!!!!

YOUR comments in regards to being able to brake the vehicle with full throttle is INCORRECT. Toyota Sienna braking system leaves much to be desired, at least on my 04 Sienna, from day one. They have been checked by various Toyota Service Centers.

I tested MY Toyota when this issue became know, ONCE the vehicle is moving (few miles per hour) and when full throttle is applied, YOU CANNOT STOP/OVERPOWER the vehicle with their weak braking system. I feel this will apply to other vehicles with to-days power requirements.

I recommend ALL Toyota owner check YOUR vehicle in this manner. PREPARE yourself and other family members. Personality I informed my wife to turn the key off. And yes, I know what this causes, however attempting to find the shift lever and move into neutral under this panic situation would be difficult indeed.
    Whoa, relax, and please stop shouting.

I just shared the link to the Office of Defects Investigation and encouraged them to file a report about the problem.

If there's a pattern, NHTSA will take action.

If it's a few isolated incidents, or worse, they go unreported, then they won't. Venting on the internet is pointless.

Read my previous post again. That's the appropriate action to take.

I don't even agree with the advice you're giving. What owners should practice is popping the trans in to neutral.
    ateixeira

So, are you associated with Toyota in any way?

I've read many of your comments and you tend to question the posters validity !
    Reminiscent of the typical, Company Line, statements.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    How in the world is turning the key an easier thing to do in a panic situation than simply bumping the transmission lever up into neutral? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Push the transmission to neutral and the worst that happens is the engine over revs. Turn the engine off and you lose your power including steering and brakes- making a dangerous situation much, much more so. Coasting on the public highways (in Ca at least) is ILLEGAL as well.

edit: as a quick experiment I just tried the two motions and found that without taking my eyes away from the windscreen I could take my hand from the steering wheel move the transmission from drive to neutral and have my hand back on the wheel in approximately half a second. I fumbled turning the key without looking down, instinctively would look down and took a second or more on average. By far the easier motion is to move the transmission lever- it is faster, I didn't fumble and didn't feel any need to take my eyes from the road in front of me- crucial differences in an emergency.
    Boy, you don't know me at all.

I'm the founder of the Subaru Crew and the Community Leader for that group right here on Edmunds.com. Go to the RAV4 vs. Forester threads and you'll see I'm one of the harshest critics of that Toyota.

My daily driver is a Mazda Miata, that's what I drove to work today (and almost every day).

We have a family/trip car and it's a Sienna, but no, I'm not associated with Toyota in any way, I just happen to think the Sienna is the best minivan available.

A lot of times these complaints are very unilateral, and there's noone here from Toyota to defend themselves or even state the other side of the story. Have you ever once seen someone admit a mistake, say it was their own fault?

In the GPS thread a trucker drove under a short bridge and crashed his truck on the overhead pass, and tried to blame the GPS for sending him there.

As a society we tend to assign blame rather than take responsibility for our mistakes. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

If for whatever reason the throttle is pinned, the best action to take is to slap the trans in to neutral, which is will do at any speed, at any throttle position. That always works.

Cheers.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >lot of times these complaints are very unilateral, and there's no one here from Toyota to defend themselves

I didn't recall that complaints by posters in Edmunds needed to be balanced by representatives of Toyota Motors USA. Actually there are more than enough people in some discussions of Toyota's problems who connected with the company and stand up too much for the company trying to overwhelm the poor poster who comes in with a valid complaint.

>Have you ever once seen someone admit a mistake,

Example is a good question here... aimed at the poster, but I'd like to ask it about one example about Toyota.
    Did Toyota admit a mistake when they blamed the customer for years about their sludge problem only to eventually give in and pay for some of the engines that were left? Recall how many people and reps of the company were blaming the end users for the sludge problem, including those with more than the required number of oil changes. Meanwhile Toyota had made some changes to the breathing of the crankcase and oil drains on the engine.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

There was one Toyota rep that I recall, we debated the whole sludge issue, in fact. I took a middle-of-the-road position - if people could not come up with a single receipt for an oil change for a year, Toyota should not pay for their neglect.

In most cases people could indeed come up with receipts, and those should have been covered from the get-go, absolutely.

I haven't noticed any reps in the Sienna threads, but I don't follow the busy "Haterade for Toyota" threads, of which there are many.

I wasn't aware of any engine changes - in fact the 3MZ engine ended up being replaced by the 1MZ and later the 2GR, not updated. Maybe you're talking about the 4 bangers?

Even so, what worked was filing complaints to NHTSA, which showed a pattern of sludged engines, and forced Toyota to find a fix.

See my link above to the ODI. That's what concerned owners and people who experience a problem should do - file an official complaint.
    Then you'll see what I mean about Toyota Haterade:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1e3b64/1166#MSG1166

Here's my response clearing up the lies mentioned in xlu's post:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1e3b64/1175#MSG1175
    vatesjo

What ever works for you!!

My wife felt more secure reaching for the key than attempting to shift the lever. She knows how it will effect the steering and brakes, because we performed that maneuver. We are elderly and her reaction is not what it was years back. Myself I would probably shift into neutral, I tend to keep my hand on the shifter anyways.

IMO I feel, this problem, as posters stated occurred because of uncontrolled/stuck throttle. Could there be other variables, sure, but not in every case. Select individuals are adamant as to what happen, and I for one believe them.

Matter of fact, in our area, a elderly woman struck and unfortunately injured one girl and killed her sister in parking lot. The State Investigator discovered her vehicle had a malfunctioning throttle wire. No, it wasn't a Toyota.

Many have stated the brakes will override the full throttle applications, they won't on mine, nor on other vehicles I've driven. Especially if the vehicle has gained forward momentum and the engine is moving into its power range.

I just hope it never happens, in the heat of sudden emergency, who knows how one may react.
    Well, guess we can put this thread to rest, now that Toyota has finally admitted a serious problem.

Odd, I didn't see where the Sienna was included, would think this will just be a matter of time before they add this vehicle based on the individuals who have this problem.

Wonder if they plan on giving out free floor mats.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Not sure, but I believe the scale of this action in unprecedented in automotive history.

Toyota Temporarily Suspends Sales of Selected Vehicles
  • snevets23snevets23 Member Posts: 18
    Now let's see if LEXUS ever admits to their cars' malfunction causing sudden uncontrolled acceleration! Personally, I've been patiently waiting after three years. Why does it take a well-publicized tragedy in California to get these unsympathetic car companies to finally admit to serious and even fatal flaws in their design. How many tragedies could have been avoided if they had just "fessed up" years ago when the reports first appeared on sites such as this, subsequent filings with the designated governmental agencies, and pleas to the car companies themselves!
    I'll share it again, if people want the Sienna to be included in this campaign, the occurences have to be documented, to demonstrate a pattern of problems.

Report your issues here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Complaining about it on the internet might help you vent and feel better, but the fact that Toyota has not included the Sienna means one of two things:

* there isn't actually such a pattern

- or -

* there is a pattern, but it has not been reported/documented properly

Please click the link if you've been affected.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you are a Toyota owner and interested in sharing your reaction with reporters, send me an email stating the vehicle you own, your telephone number, and the best time you can be reached.

Send to: karenedmunds.com
    Taking it a step further, here is how you can view some of the complaints that are already out there:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
    then select "Recalls, Defects and Complaints" from the menu on the left
    then select "Search Complaints" near the top of the menu on the left
    On the right side of the next screen, click "Search Selected Type" under where the word "Vehicle" is checked
    Try selecting "2005" in the "Select Year" pull down menu and click "Submit Year"
    Select "Toyota" from the "Select Make" pull down menu and click "Submit Make"
    Select "Sienna" from the "Select Model" pull down menu and click "Submit Model"
    Pick "Vehicle Speed Control" from the "Select Component" menu and click "Retrieve Complaints"

Click the "Get Summary" link next to each complaint for details. Interesting stuff.

This is just for 2005. There are similar complaints afterwards for 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009. There are also complaints for 2004, but I got tired of reading them all, so stopped looking at earlier model years.
    After dinner I decided to go back into the NHTSA website to look for complaints of other Toyotas that were not on their recall list released yesterday. When you click "Select a Model" under Toyota, the first one that pops up is the 4Runner, so I picked that one. Sure enough, there are instances of unintended acceleration reported. I looked at 2006 through 2008 model years. I hate to say it, but this problem might be even bigger than what has already been reported.

By the way, the 4Runner is 100% built (parts and labor) in Japan.
    I don't think where it's made had any influence. I believe the Prius is made in Japan and Highalnder is made in the USA, and both were affected.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Current recall affects CTS pedals, used in US/Canada manufactured Toyota models (except Lexus RX and possibly Sienna). Not affected are Denso pedals used by Japanese manufactured Toyotas/Lexus/Scion and definitely Canadian-made RX.
    After doing more research on this issue (Google "Toyota sudden acceleration pedal"), I'm growing more and more convinced that the problem is NOT the rubber accelerator pedal itself as Toyota would lead us to believe. In other words, it isn't a mechanical problem of the pedal getting caught under floor mats or sticking on the carpet, and it isn't that the pedal is slow to return to idle. Grinding down the shape of the pedal or changing spring tension is not the answer.

Instead, it appears the problem is with the electronics of Toyota's "Throttle-By-Wire" system they started incorporating in their vehicles over the past few years. I'm thinking it's the sensors used to tell the computer when to open or close the throttle.

I continue to hear on our local news how Toyota dealers describe the problem as "sticking" gas pedals, but the stories I read are about sudden acceleration, not sticking pedals. The vehicles just start bolting out on their own, resulting too often in horrifying accounts of drivers trying to avoid traffic, pedestrians, parked cars, trees...

Toyota is supposed to announce their findings in the upcoming week. It will be interesting to see if they stick to their mechanical "pedal" explanation, or admit it is a system-wide electronics issue with their "Throttle-By-Wire" system.

For sure, they will need to add the feature that turns off the throttle when the brake is applied, but they should add it to ALL of their vehicles with TBW, not just the 8 models on last week's recall.

edit: I just did another Google search to see if there was any news. The following article from the L.A. Times popped up about 40 minutes ago:

Doubt cast on Toyota's decision to blame... gas pedal
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    Toyota is fast losing its reputation as company which promotes reliability and safety. With the Friday’s announcement, the total recall of cars now stands at 9.5 million, 4.1 million for gas pedal problem and 5.4 million for floor mat problems. The number of cars recalled is more than what the company has sold last year (7.8 million vehicles were sold world-wide last year) which means the company’s expenditure will go up for carrying out the repairs.
    Recalls are not necessarily a bad thing.
  • tekkamakitekkamaki Member Posts: 23
    This situation is certainly bad for Toyota.
    The government forcing companies to recall defective products is a good thing. Time will tell if this fix is actually the fix or if there is more too it.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    It isn't about what works for me it is about what creates the least danger to everyone on the road. What your wife insists on doing is dangerous to her and to everyone around her. It is the worst possible way of handling the situation. If she her age is reducing her strength and reactions, then even more so she should take the action that requires the least time, least effort and maintains the power assist in the brakes and steering. Age is no excuse for stupidity. If she persists in using it, she should be removed from the road.

No one should expect the brakes to overcome both the momentum of the vehicle and the full power of the engine. It would take a ridiculous degree of over-engineering the brake system to do so on a vehicle of this size and power. The best way to overcome this is to take the engine from working against you to working for you.

How you will react in an emergency can be decided by how you plan to react and practice of that reaction. Plan to do something stupid and stupidity will occur with natural consequences of pain and injury to those unfortunate enough to be involved. Plan to do something smart and you aren't as likely to kill bystanders (like me and my family).
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    Recalls are not necessarily a bad thing.

True, but they are in the case with Toyota as a recall has been 5 years in the making and their so called fix still does not address the actual cause of sudden acceleration when the pedals are not involve.

More importantly, cannot recall in recent years when any other automaker was required by law to stop selling their vehicles.
  • fromjustusfromjustus Member Posts: 4
    I have a new 2010 Limited. Have had no problems with it so far. As we all know Toyota is in a world of hurt with their line shutdowns and accelerator control unit recall problems. What I have been searching for on this site and others, is this: Why was Sienna specifically excluded from the shutdown, sales and accelerator issue?

As far as I know, only the DENSO accelerator units from Japan are exempted. My Sienna has a unit marked "TOYOTA" on it, not Denso. So if my accelerator control unit is the same (is it?) as those in the shutdown/recall, then why isn't Sienna's? How does Sienna's differ?

Also, my VIN begins with "5TDYK....", NOT "J", which is supposed to ID vehicles made in Japan which use Denso units, and therefore exempt. My Sienna is clearly labeled and built in Princeton, IN, and was delivered in July of 2009. Other Toyota vehicle models were also excluded. Why?

Does anyone know the "real" reason these accelerator control units are supposedly not a problem? As nationally televised, the American built Toyota's use control units built by CTS in Indiana. I believe, but cannot be certain, that mine would also be a CTS unit. I would think that most all of the other American made Toyota vehicles would also use CTS units.

I am specifically not concerning myself with the carpet mat issue pressing on the pedal, but only with the electronic accelerator unit. I do not have any mats that can even touch the pedal in my case. Carpet issues can be easily resolved in comparison.

Just another inquiring mind wanting to know. I'm sure others do too.

Thanks to one and all if this question can be answered accurately.
  • flxmomflxmom Member Posts: 24
    I have the EXACT same concerns and questions as you do and I am sure many other Sienna owners. I have an 09 Sienna and am very concerned and now scared to drive it especially with my kids in the vehicle ! Haven't had any issues , knock on wood, but I am questioning everything now..its very scary... :(
    on tuneyfish.com they have photos of the recalled pedals and what a denso looks like, I was wondering about the vin number too mine starts the same as yours..but the pedal looks like a denso with the star on the side in the part near the floor
    It isn't a bad idea to practice tapping the shifter in to neutral while moving.

I would not floor the accelerator for obvious reasons, but rather just become familiar with moving the shifter around from D to N and back.

This is true for any car, come to think of it.
    did the guy who crashed in Cali and died with 3 others put his car in neutral do you know I am flipping out, I have an 09 Sienna and have read this thread from the beginning and now am convinced that Sienna should be in the recall . I was questioning and skeptical that it wasn't and the proof is here,,and these are just the folks who have taken the time to report on here ! I have two kids and was so excited to get my Sienna but now an terrified to drive it..will going into neutral really help if this happens, the accelaration..and since I owned this car I have noticed a revving of the engine when I turn corners, took it in 2 times they say its nothing, sounds normal, now I really wonder.. :confuse: :(
    Are you referring to the cop? He was in a Lexus ES with floor mats from a different model installed. I don't think he tried neutral - he tried to turn the engine off and used the brakes (may have pumped them, not sure).

Occurences are petty rare, just practice the "Neutral Tap" a couple of times, and never panic if anything does happen.

There are all sort of hazards - you could get a flat tire, slip on black ice, get hit by someone running a red light, etc.

The key it if anything does happen, remain calm and drive to the shoulder of the road safetly. Knowing your vehicle well is a good idea, as is driving defensively (give yourself time and space).

I have noticed a revving of the engine when I turn corners

It's probably holding a lower gear to help you accelerate out of the turn. You don't want the shift-shock in the middle of the turn because that could upset the balance of traction.

It could also be emissions related.

If the revs climb WAY up then I'd park it and call your dealer, and notify NHTSA's ODI division so it's documented.
    Thanks for your reply, I will get practiced with the gear shift, but I have to say I am ready to get a different vehicle..this is so scary ! I know there are many risk factors when driving but knowingly driving a vehicle that has know incidents, for years, of this happening is just unnerving..