Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Performance Oriented Factory Tuner Automobiles

13»

Comments

• ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    1st- E63
    2nd- S6
    3rd- M5
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I gave the IS-F to much credit as it's only going to have 390 hp. vs 490.

Regardless it will be a great BMW 335i beater but I predict the M3 to walk all over it. I really would like to see a 08' M3 Sedan photo's. :)

Rocky
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    "only" 390 hp? :P :shades:
    Pat, have you seen any pics of the M3 sedan or heard anything about prices. I bet this new one pushes $60K or more. :surprise: I will admit I'm a BMW M3 fan but boy they sure have gotten very expensive. :surprise:

I'd love to see pics of the new M3, especially the sedan.

Rocky

P.S. 390 hp. is a Lexus isn't the same as 390-400 in a BMW. You know that as well. 0-60 times with 400 hp M3 is likely low 4's. My buddy's 240 hp M3 Sedan would do it in 5.4-5.6 range and add another 160 hp with new engine technology you can easily take a second to almost a second and half off that. ;)
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    Rocky
    I think if you go to German car fan, and then click BMW, they have some photos, and artist renderings
    Dan, all I got under punching in German Car Fan in the search window was the World Cars site. It didn't have any 08' M3 sedan pics. They are predicting the 08' M3 to be around $55K so I figure in the $60's if you get options like Navigation, unless it comes standard ?

Here's a good pic.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=34&article_id=3765

Rocky
  • dkaplan435dkaplan435 Member Posts: 23
    I ordered the IS-F. I have the IS350 right now, I traded in a 1999 M3 Convertible for that.

The M3 handled much better than the IS350, though I'm hoping the IS-F will handle better than my old M3. I agree, the new M3 will be faster and handle better than the IS-F, but I'm going to have a hell of a great time with it.

If it wasn't for the damn I-drive, and the fact the M3 would probably cost 20k more (fully loaded) I would LOVE to get it.

Dave
    About the iDrive, have you experienced it? I haven't, but from what I consistently read in discussions and consumer reviews, nearly everyone reports that it's not at all as difficult as some would have us believe. Like I said, no personal experience here - just wondering about your perspective.
    I have. My mother has a 530 w/ i-drive. It's ok to use, I suppose.... but nowhere near as easy as my Lexus touchscreen.
    400+, I doubt more than 420
    I agree 100%. A BMW with similar rated HP will always be faster than a Lexus. I suspect that's because BMW understates their HP.

BMW's are fantastic... I've had 2. I'll still take the Lexus, only because it's almost as good handling-wise, but comfortwise it wins... at least from a HP/Price/features perspective, and of course in my opinion, FWIW, probably not much.
    It is set at 390 hp.

Rocky
    That could be true also.... ;)

Rocky
  • hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    What's the difference between the two? I'm too lazy to look into it on Audi's website. :P
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Audi S4 to A4 is like the TL-S to TL.
    Audi RS4 to A4 is like the M3 to 3-series.

Does that make any sense?
  • hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    It sure does. Thanks for the clarification.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I ordered the IS-F.

How did you order it yet? There is no ETA or pricing yet??
  • tdb99tdb99 Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering if anyone out there owns a new s6...I am close to purchasing one, wanting to hear some feedback from others. Is it worth the extra 20k or so from the A6 4.2 s-line ? (realizing that yes, they are different vehicles)...thanks! :)
    The Genesis, is getting Hyundai's first V8 called the TAU, and some are saying the company is looking at forced induction systems, etc. A Twin-Turbo system has been mentioned creating around 500 hp. So it is something that should be talked about as Hyundai, keeps progressing forward. ;)

Rocky
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    It is set at 390 hp.

Where did you hear that ? Most publication I have read said anywhere between 400 to 450 Hp. Considering that the smaller engine in the Lexus LS460 produce 380 hp, the 5.0 liter engine in the IS-F could easily produce 450 hp without much of a sweat.
    I read that somewhere on the net. Now I'm seeing the 450 and 500 hp number throwin' around again. :confuse:

Rocky
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    These are the benchmarks until the RS6 is released.
    The 2009' CTS-V will probably be this segments benchmark as far as sedans go. ;)

Rocky
  • twq83twq83 Member Posts: 19
    Not much out of Lexus except a tentative Release date of Late March early April 2008 .........

Got some pictures .......

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2008-Lexus-IS-F.htm

I will post any information as it comes available....... ;)
    So Lexus has given us a bone and told us to look out for the IS-F at the Dealerships ( Northern Virginia, Lexus Eastcoast) on or about 14 January 2008 ( give or take 7 Days)!!!! Along with this great news they also told us there will be 6 exterior color to choose from, 3 interior colors, and a Basic, Middle and Ultra Option Package available. They also told us that we don't know if we'll get all the colors, or interior colors, or Option Package's in this area ............ more to come on this later. They also told us to get our orders in order as fast as possible since the first Year production will be a Limited number and the "first come first served" allocation process will be in effect. So if you have your order in great!!!! If you don't then you might want to think about it quickly.

Oh yea and lastly the boy's from Lexus said it would be around $60 to $64K +TTP to take one of these home.......

Stay tuned and I'll post whatever information I can when I recieve it.

;)
  • michael2003michael2003 Member Posts: 144
    Is the IS-F available as an AWD?
    The best sources at Lexus say "NO" :mad: ....... it's simply a question of Performance!!!! At 400+ HP an AWD platform would be counter productive, In simpler terms it can't handle the Horses..... we'de have to tune down the Horses and that would be counter productive to the Performance aspects of the IS-F.......... :cry:

Sorry, the 2008 IS 250 will still be offered as a AWD Model.
  • allargonallargon Member Posts: 75
    Tell that to Lamborghini, Porsche and Audi. They seem to put a great deal of horses into AWD just fine.
    Sounds like a false excuse. AWD would not require reducing HP, but it would allow for increased HP. However it would somewhat increase weight and reduce gas mileage. Seems like it's really nothing more than a choice.
    OK Michael Before we start throwing " false excuses" as the answer to the comment let's take a Look at the cars in question. Audi R8, wonderful vehicle and AWD! imagine that Also a "Mid Engine Mount"!!!! Talk about apples and oranges The structual specifications for a Mid Engine Mounted vehicles allow for the rigidity and support need in a AWD vehicle with the accent on Performance..... :confuse: OK the Lambo ........ Damn ....... another Mid Engine Mounted Vehicle. OK then onto the Porsche ...... 911?, Boxer?, Cayman ?, all have the engine in the front, all Performance vehicles ........ Oh Gosh .... NO AWD!!! Wait a minute there is the Porsche Cayenne, that's AWD ..... But it's an SUV!

So now it looks as if your choice is: do you want a "Mid Mounted Engine" and AWD or do you go for the true Performance vehicle and stick with the rear wheel drive. Anybody care to discuss Apples to Apples????

Just my $0.02........ ;)
    Uh...few corrections

1. 911 is rear engine mount
    2. Boxster & Cayman are mid engine mount
    3. Porsche does offer an AWD 911 version. Targa(?)
    Again, My point exactly ... Mid-Engine Mount, REAR-Engine Mount both are significatly structured differently to allow for the AWD possibility! Yes or No? :confuse:
    I don't see how more difficult that a front-engine-mount car to allow AWD than a rear-engine-mount one. But anyway, the point should be that the IS-F DOES NOT need to be AWD, period. Why? I'll give you several whys...

1. M3 isn't AWD
    2. C63 AMG won't be AWD
    3. The only reason why the RS4 is AWD is because Audi is specialized in AWD and they don't have a dedicated RWD platform.
    My reason for saying that an AWD system would require reducing HP is a 'False Excuse' is that putting AWD would actually allow much greater HP since a 2WD system has limits on how much traction can actually get to the road, so the statement just doesn't seem to make any sense. Please note that I'm also only talking about street legal vehicles used for transportation.

Adding an AWD system that only puts a small percentage of the traction to the front wheels still allows that much of a percentage of additional HP to be available towards getting traction.
    Michael,

Adding HP is just a matter of adding a larger more efficent Engine! What your talking about with traction addition is Torque ( the force that get's the vehicle moving)and this requires Structural and Pitch and roll supports to ensure that the vehicle doesn't tear itself apart over the years. The more weight you add the less Torque you can produce...... hence the less PERFORMANCE the vehicle is allowed to exert on you and your driving experience. AWD adds stability and some Torque at the expense of performance. SEE??? ;)
  • homerjshomerjs Member Posts: 3
    The RS6 is front engined with 580 hp. Anyway the TSX and civic si makes more hp/liter than the IS-F which is supposedly a top performance car, never mind the M3 and RS4 which makes 100+ hp/L. IS-F is an embarrassment. 5L from the M5 makes 500hp, IS-F power is made by M3 with only 4 liters. Lexus should just keep on making nice fine luxury boats and leave the hi performance to others. I'd rather get a 335i which is only a tad slower but more comfy and cheaper to insure. Best yet i don't have to explain myself to my friends why a $20k civic engine has better output
  • skarieskarie Member Posts: 78
    IS-F is an embarrassment. 5L from the M5 makes 500hp, IS-F power is made by M3 with only 4 liters

How is this an embarrassment, the lexus produces 370lbs of torque, the M3 does'nt even have 300.. the lexus also has a faster 0-60 time 4.2vs the M3 4.6..
  • kywildcatkywildcat Member Posts: 1
    You got it exactly right, best-to-worst: "In order, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW and Lincoln."

The Lincoln was designed with a compass and a straightedge. Their over-the-hill designers can put their pencils away already. "No more graph paper for you." I would be insulted if Lincoln tried to sell me their interior as entry-level luxury. Just look at that get-up.

The BMW's redesign took the car from the 80's to the 90's. The orange backlighting looks cheap, and the over-simplistic dash has no character. BMW's are beautiful on the outside, but they make me frown when I get inside, like a VW bag lady wrapped in a fur coat.

The empty chrome space on the Infiniti dash, combined with the cutouts and small climate controls, are disproportionate, the same problem you'd have putting 14" wheels on one of these cars. They took some cues from the Infiniti M, but did not execute it as well. What's up with those vertical vents? Looking at the car on the showroom floor, the exterior of the Infiniti G is more power than luxury. If you want luxury, keep moving.

The Acura is nice (I actually preferred the TSX interior to the TL, since I liked the wood trim strip arcing across the mid-dash). I almost bought the TSX. It's nice that their cars come loaded, with NAV as the only option, which works for me. The blue/white backlighting is beautiful. The TSX is the best bang-for-the-buck.

The Lexus is the best of the lot. My IS250 AWD is on special order for the Mark Levinson audio option. The car will come with every bell and whistle except NAV, which isn't worth $3K, but I'll miss the touch-screen climate controls--pure eye candy. All other entry-level luxury cars (and many more expensive cars) seemed to be missing items I'd want in my car for the next 10 years: hands-free entry (no keys or fob button pushing), pushbutton start, multi-level heated and cooled seats, HID/adaptive lights, electrochromatic rear/side mirrors, real wood trim, AWD--you know, the little things that help boost my carbon score. Even the steering wheel automatically raises/lowers for easy access. Lexus does have the best leather seats, and I can't wait to get my hands around that leather-wrapped steering wheel -- pure happiness. I'm also getting a clear bra and tint, dealer-installed, everything for $35K plus 6% tax. My only quibble with their layout is that the speedometer should be on the right side where it belongs. The only car I'd replace it with in the next few years would be an IS convertible.

Lexus has more luxury prestige (for me) than any of the cars in this group. From day one, Lexus earned their luxury reputation at a value price over the Euro luxury brands. I would be concerned about owning a MB past the initial warranty, and the trips to the shop for days/weeks would be unacceptable anyway. The price of adding every separate option to get all the bells and whistles puts their cheaper cars into the $50K+ range. I prefer Japanese reliability and price-points. I want trouble-free luxury.

I never made it to Audi, Saab or Volvo--maybe next time, maybe not. Those guys have always been collected together (in my mind) as faceless, boring, fringe, "rumoured" automakers to anyone from the States. However, the A4 (or A6) I recently saw was sweet as it drove by. But I had already finished my search before seeing it. They probably need more dealerships and should have been making more-noticeable cars all along.
    Welcome to CarSpace! :)
  • ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    Hmm. A center stack that looks just like the rental Camry I had last September, gaudy Tokyo-by-night instrument cluster, fake looking veneer around a "we stole this from Mercedes" shifter, and door panels that look like they were copied from the '95 M3 I used to own. Yeah, that reeks of "luxury prestige."
  • ml16ml16 Member Posts: 9
    Hi folks-
    I'm a retired and disabled Army Sergeant Major that simply refuses to die, on that happy note...

I have the misfortune (for the moment) of living in the Northern Virginia/DC area and the uber-rich kids at Yahoo have no problem spending an additional $899 for pin striping and a tank of gas.

Can anyone recommend a dealership North or South of Virginia by, let's say, one state?

Lastly, are they taking deposits on the Evos yet?

Many thanks & Happy Holidays,
    Mike Maggio
  • 93buicklesabre93buicklesabre Member Posts: 11
    I found a 1999 Mercedes Benz C43 AMG at a local dealer in my area. I am wondering if it is worth 8900 dollars. The reason I ask is because it has 132000 miles on it but it seems that the car has had everything done at the Mercedes Benz dealer from when it was new. I was wondering if that is too much for that car? Please guys I would love to hear your responses and tell me what you think. Thanks
  • steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    I see you never got an answer ....... surely it will not help you any longer but it could be something others may be curious about.....so almost 2 years late I will try to address your question....
    Powertrains are generally engineered to last into the 150k miles range so a vehicle with 132k under its belt is left with one or 2 years of 'quasi' dependable service.
    The 'quasi' is there to flag that any aged vehicle, even those aged well as in dealer serviced (if you believe that the 2 go hand in hand), is an unknown when it comes to the maintenance/repairs cost.
    To be sure Mercedes was known to build some of the cars with great longevity, but that was decades ago and I would not expect a vehicle like the one you are eyeing to come without long...costly....strings attached....plus you would be set back 10 years when it comes to safety related technologies sitting in an already stressed chassis.