Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona Care & Maintenance

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
edited September 2014 in Kia
Talk about routine maintenance issues here.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    Anyone think it may be a good idea to remove part of the engine cover that goes over the oil filter cover?I was wondering how many oil changes it would take before the cover bolts or threads are stripped out. Any ideas about this? :confuse:
  • akoliveakolive Member Posts: 20
    You have to remove the cover don't you? I haven't done an oil change myself but it appears that you have to remove the cover (shroud). The fasterners I suspect are superficial and won't effect anything if they did strip... Doubt it would be a problem. You can always talk to your service dept. if you have any questions.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Peter
  • redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    No reason to have the cover loose if the bolts get stripped.Must have put the cover on for some reason,(good looks or a heat shield). What do you think? :confuse: :confuse:
  • capecoralbillcapecoralbill Member Posts: 51
    I removed mine, I doubt it will affect anything, may even help to cool engine a bit. Anybody have the link to the official Kia parts page? Thanks
  • boxwrenchboxwrench Member Posts: 55
    Capecoralbill,

Here are a couple websites that are very helpful for Kia Information & parts. You may have to first register to gain access. It's no cost & has everything you need to know about your particular Kia Vehicle.
    Other links are also available on the Tech Info site.

Boxwrench
  • boxwrenchboxwrench Member Posts: 55
    capecoralbill,

Sorry, the sites didn't post, I'll try again.

http://kiatechinfo.com/index.asp

After you log in, there are Recalls, Tech tips, Bulletins, and links to parts.
    Good Luck.

Boxwrench
  • akoliveakolive Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone changed oil in their 06? The user manual didn't have instructions. If you have, please send me instructions.
    Thanks in advance.
    Peter
  • akolive2akolive2 Member Posts: 1
    Well, changed my oil last weekend and it was fairly easy. The oil pan bolt was quit a reach from the front. The filter sits in a canister on top of the engine and has no shroud around it so when a person pulls it out of the canister, it can be messy since the oil just pours out of it freely.
    Otherwise, the rest of the procedure is the same as any other vehicle.
    The only issue I have is the removal of the aluminum compression ring around the oil pan bolt. It was not obvious how to remove the old one, so I didn't this time. Anyone know how?
    Peter
  • jacktbjacktb Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone have experience regarding what the average cost for the 30,000 maintenance is? Thanks.
  • typer_801typer_801 Member Posts: 29
    Edmunds or Motor Trend came back with a cost of ~$220 on an actual 30K visit. I think it included (from memory) an oil change, tire rotation, replacement air filter, brake adjustment, etc.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Edmunds cost estimate for 60k service on our 2002 Sedona was WAY lower than pricing in my area-- and I think I got a good deal compared with other folks around the country. If I recall, they claimed the timing belt was < $250 parts + labor.
  • vannervanner Member Posts: 47
    In the central/northern Kentucky area I have checked with several dealers for 30k price for our '06 LX. Even in the same TOTAL RIPOFF Montgomery Group Kia Stores around Louisville (they own all four dealerships here), there is a range. With the worst rip-off dealer in the entire US - the Southern Indiana Kia Store - it's $430. (This is the same service department that WILL do an "engine oil flush" in your 12K service if you let them, and charge $120 for what should run $90 tops.)

The same group's headquarters Kia Store on Preston Highway in Louisville charges $335 for the very same service.

I found the following prices when calling in a broad geographic area around Louisville and even one that could fall in with later vacation plans. I will add that with all of the dealers I called I was treated very courteously for "just asking". I am NEVER treatedx couteously at the southern IN Kia Store. All dealers but one noted, have available "loaners" for the pretty-much all-day job.

Rivergate Kia, Nashville TN $446

Car Town Kia, Lexington, KY $242
    (claims it does ALL that is required by Kia and we talked it over - it does fill the list including the transmission fluid change)

King's Mazda/Kia, Cincinnati, OH $410

Jake Sweeny Kia, Cinci (Florence) $380

Martin Kia, Bowling Green, KY $430 (no loaners at all except for warranty repairs)

Bill Byrd Kia, Panama City, FL $389 (Loaner by appointment)

I guess it pays to shop around if you have that luxury. I will be burning a day to go to Car Town in Lexington for my 30K and I'll use the loaner to do some required occupational business there during the day.

Even though I've seen prices as high as $1100 dollars for the 60K service, anyone have an idea on that range? I seriously doubt we'll keep this thing that long, but pushing much over 40K will be trouble since news is out just how much that 60K service costs. Trade-in prices for 40K+ Sedonas that have not had the 60K service are VERY low in this area.
  • vannervanner Member Posts: 47
    Just interested:

What are people paying for or what have you been quoted for '05 Sedona 60K service? I doubt we'll be keeping ours to that point, the wife and I agreeing it probably goes this summer. I also do not think we'd have ever bought it in the first place if we'd known how expensive it would be to keep up the warranty, at least at the dealership where we bought it. (Yes, we were lied to about that, but not in writing.)

On another front:

I've been fairly active politically on a state level, doing some pretty successful lobbying over the years. I'm thinking of looking for sponsors in my state and maybe in US Congress for a law that all service costs to maintain any new-car warranty MUST be available and/or posted on the car, itemized, with the price current at the time of purchase. In other words, you'd know how much your service will cost, at today's prices, for the warranty life of the car. Service is a hidden cost of purchase, I think. Any ideas?
    vanner, see my other posts -- in the general 'Kia Sedona' forum I think -- regarding service costs on our 2002 EX. The 2002 thru 2005 Sedonas are pretty much identical mechanically. Any service prices you see from any of those years should be valid comparisons for you and your 2005.

As I have said previously...we paid $680 plus tax for a LOT of work that probably constitutes the bulk of the 60k service. That seemed like a really good price for serpentine belt, timing belt, transmission flush, tune-up, and fuel injector service.

Personally, I think you sound a little paranoid about doing every single thing in the maintenance schedule to keep the factory warranty 'intact'. Then again, I've never had a major problem during the warranty period with any vehicle I've owned.
  • jacktbjacktb Member Posts: 41
    Thanks to everyone, especially vanner with the multiple quotes, for the information on 30,000 mile service costs.

I had my '05 done at the Kia dealership last week in Des Plaines, Il. for $354 which seems to be in the ballpark.
  • kaigunkaigun Member Posts: 2
    I paid $240 for 30k check at the only Kia dealer in town (Anchorage, AK), but I skipped the transmission fluid change (had done it at 25k because I was driving cross country) and the tire rotation (had just put on new winter tires), so it could have been more.
  • ddolleyddolley Member Posts: 1
    I just had my 60K "tune up" and a "Brake job" done at the Kia dealership in Elmhurst, Il. Just to let you know we could not afford the "timing belt" cost of $750.00 quote. What we did pay for the above two things were $1,009.94. The tune up parts were $79.50 and the labor was $315.00 The Brake parts were $159.95 and $420.00 for labor. Kind of expensive for maintenance isn't it?

Dolores
    That sounds like a super-high price. Did you shop around? I found that the 2 Kia dealers in my area are quite reasonable on pricing for most of the major routine maintenance items.
  • fishbreathfishbreath Member Posts: 58
    also what do they do to to van
  • fishbreathfishbreath Member Posts: 58
  • 11b33t11b33t Member Posts: 51
    They (service dept) should follow the maintenance checks in your owner manual depending on on your driving conditions of normal or severe...
  • jbuzzy11jbuzzy11 Member Posts: 1
    anyone know the size of the tank in a 2003 sedona ex? is there different sizes?
  • rene68rene68 Member Posts: 2
    Hey. We bought a used 06' Kia Sedona LX in December with 18,000 miles on it. We love it...when it will actually starts.
    Sometimes when we go to start it it won't even turn over. The lights and radio come on but that is about it. I've found that if I keep trying to start it, maybe after 50+ attempts, it will kick in. This is my only vehicle right now and my wife is almost 8 months pregnant,the last thing I need is for it to fail us at a critical moment.
    I took it toToyota dealership, who also work on Kia vehicles, to have them look at it. They kept it for 4 days and, of course, they could find no problem with it. It started every time for them...........
    Does anyone have a similar problem or may have a suggestion as to what it might be? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Hi Rene68,

Sorry to hear of your troubles this may help.

Tell your dealer about TSB No. KT2007092001

Some 2006 &#150; 2007 Sedona (VQ) vehicles produced before April 18, 2007 may exhibit a customer concern in which the engine will not crank (starter will not engage) when attempting to start the engine. In some cases, this condition may be caused by higher than normal resistance across the Burglar Alarm Relay located inside the In Panel Module (IPM). This relay is not a serviceable item, and if defective requires the replacement of the IPM. Other concerns such as poor pin connections and other faulty components in the starter&#146;s circuit may also cause higher than normal circuit resistance, and should be considered before condemning and replacing the IPM. The following test procedure has been developed to assist you in determining whether the problem is the Burglar Alarm Relay in the IPM, or is related to some other area of the starter&#146;s circuit. It&#146;s recommended that this TSB be read in its entirety before attempting to perform this test procedure for the first time.

Daniel
  • rene68rene68 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Daniel,

Thanks a lot for your help. I will let you know what happens when I take it to the dealership. Hopefully this will help others with the same problem.

Thanks again!
    Rene68
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    From what I can find it is 75 liters or 20 gallons and I believe it is only one size.

Daniel
  • mspachucamspachuca Member Posts: 1
    My power steering fluid cooler went out about 7 days ago. I have now found out that this part is on a national backorder. There are 100 coming in the country but are already spoken for and 300 more on order with no eta. (!) I spoke with Kia and they said that it was not their fault. However, from what I have "heard" this is a huge problem with the older Sedonas. Is anyone else having this problem. Because to me if this is on "National Backorder" status it is a Kia problem that they should help fix or at least help cover rental fees. I might be out of a car up to three weeks!
  • scubahoopsscubahoops Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2005 Sedona and was trying to replace the air filter. One of the bolts just spins when trying to remove it. I really don't want to remove everything to get to the bottom of the housing. Any thoughts?
  • janeyjjaneyj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Kia Sedona. How often do I have to change the oil? I think it says 7000 miles on my owners manual but isn't that too long of a time to go without an oil change?
  • scubahoopsscubahoops Member Posts: 2
    I am no mechanic or anything, but I have family in the cars business and the new cars are just designed much better than they used to and as long as you are not a severe driver or live in a severe climate then you are fine. You won't lose anything other than a little money if you do decide to do it earlier though. Take it for what it's worth, hope it helps.
  • majikman1022majikman1022 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me if the 2003 Kia Sedona LX has a transmission filter and if so where is the doggone thing!? The local parts store says there's a spin on filter, but I have not been able to find it anywhere. :confuse: :mad:
  • onedmconedmc Member Posts: 5
    Just scheduled 30,000 mile service at Kia dealer where I bought the van. Service includes: trans. change, anti-freeze change, fuel filter, air filter, rotate tires, oil change. Got a quote of $450.00. Just wanted some feedback on what I need to look for w/ this service. Thanks
  • marlonmirandamarlonmiranda Member Posts: 2
    No...there's no filter on Kia's Sedonas Van transmission, but what you can do is the complete package that the dealer offers, including the pressure cleaning for the internal components.
  • marlonmirandamarlonmiranda Member Posts: 2
    Hey, let me tell you that there's no filter on the Kia Sedona Van Auto Transmission, but what you can do, is to get the full auto transmission package that the dealer offers which cost around $149.00 dollars plus tax. this will fix the problem of iddle and speeding.
  • everett23everett23 Member Posts: 19
    I have the ex sedona! So no fog lights, however I can install my own! Is this vehicle wired already for them? Or do I have to do that as well.
  • twptwp Member Posts: 1
    i need a diagram heater pipes from front to back please regards twp
  • davepathdavepath Member Posts: 6
    Tranny has an intermittent late shift point when goin from 2nd to 3rd. I cannot replicate it. Normally the tranny will shift when the engine is at 2500 RPM's but when it has a late shift from 2-3, I feel the transmission getting ready to shift, then the engine speed goes up slightly, then it shifts, and then it is fine.
    I have no slippage issues. Fluid was changed at 60,000 miles, everything else is fine.
  • jobiagenenicjobiagenenic Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

We got a 2010 Kia Sedona this past July. After a month I noticed that the Stickers in the windshield was dated 10/12 probably instead of 12/10. My question is should'nt I get a date on my Stickers on the month I bought it. They got the wrong date and wouldnt be unfair if I get the state inspection and emission just after six months. I hope you understand my questions and advise me on what to do with this. Thanks.
  • stiller12stiller12 Member Posts: 13
    Twice now- we have had the oil changed and a week later oil is flowing out of the car onto our driveway. Both times, the dealer and mechanic said the O-Ring was either crushed or not sealed properly causing the massive leak. This is not normal!!!

Both my mother in laws driveway and our driveway has a pool!
  • charm99charm99 Member Posts: 1
    I purchesed a brand new 2010 Kia Sedona (basic model) in July of 2010 and since Aug 2010 I have been experiencing a knocking noice when I am slowing down into a left or right hand turn regardless of the road condition. It only happens when I am breaking and u can actually feel it in the break pedal as well Has anyone else experienced the same? If this normal?

According to the dealer ship this is normal condition of this vehicle but I don't agree
  • dbaron4dbaron4 Member Posts: 2
    My friend bought a leftover 2010 Kia Sedona LX (no other options) for between $21,000 and $22,000 at the start of this year. Was that a good price?
This discussion has been closed.