Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture Electrical Problems

Comments

• koolsmoker28koolsmoker28 Member Posts: 5
    they look fine and are all connected. appears to be air bags and power seats. but all look ok!!!
    i have a 1998 venture ls.about a month ago the car died while driving it and wouldnt start(starter didnt even try)and the battery was dead.charged the battery and took it to autozone. said bad battery so i replaced it.1 hour drive time and dead battery again so i took it back, and bad alternator they say.so i replaced it.(made sure to buy the delco 140 or 145 amp cant remember) about 1 hour drive time later battery dead again.. so off to the dealer for a test. they say it is the pcm (transmisson section 800 dollars) so i found the same pcm (same chevy pcm and part number...brand new) they asked for my vin number for programming and stamped vin on it.(it is correct) and still keep killing the battery. it is almost like the alternator is not coming on. when i have it running and i disconnect all leads to the alternator i only get about 2.3 volts at the post(and no dummy lights come on). also you can watch the voltage while at idle on a meter go down about 1 tenth of a volt at a time(30 seconds) until about 5volts where it just dies. i removed the ground and cleaned it on the wheel well by the battery and removed and cleaned all connections at the starter.. someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!....i needpointed in some direction... i am out of ideas!!!
  • mrpipesmrpipes Member Posts: 1
    it sounds like you blew out the fuse inside that little box on top of the battery . if that is ok then check your fuses in the passenger compartment when you open the passenger door.
  • chelmarsiechelmarsie Member Posts: 5
    just wanted to say we bought a new battery and have had no more problems with it stalling or not starting. But of course now we are having tons of other problems (mostly electrical) and also when I had to have a tire repaired, they found my air shocks are leaking (so now we have to get that repaired). I wish I could get rid of this van before it costs me a fortune, and get a newer reliable vehicle (Toyota would be my first choice! no more ventures!). I have heard many people have so many problems w/the venture after 4-5 years.
    A few times now when I put it in drive it won't go...feels like it is struggling, like I am riding through tons of mud (or something is stuck under the wheel) but then it finally goes. Very weird problem.
    i did check the fuses located on the battery(all seem ok)..but did not check them inside the vehicle....i keep being told either a bad ground(somewhere) or a hot wire grounding out(could be anywhere).. and thank you for the information i will check them tonight and will take any other ideas or advice if anyone has them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bledfordbledford Member Posts: 1
    If it is the OEM radio your have an aout volume button on the lower right hand side of the radio. this is a feature that automaticly adjusts the volume to compinsate for road noise. if you dont like the feature hit the button (auto Volume) and it will stop. :)
  • jbartikjbartik Member Posts: 1
    Our 97 Chevy Venture has all of the gauges on the dashboard stop working. We have had it fixed only to have it stop in a week and a half. This has happened 3 times. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • rlp50rlp50 Member Posts: 13
    I'd be curious to know what it is you had fixed the first time. I've had the same problem with my 2000 and never did find out what was causing the problem. It used to be internittent, now the lights are off permanently. As a bypass, I shunted a wire across the interior light switch in the ceiling console and now turn them on or off with that switch.
  • kcventurekcventure Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Venture and my problem is that the interior lights the dashboard lights and tail lights do not work. The brake lights, headlights, reverse lights do work, I have changed a fuse and the broken lights worked for a couple of minutes then the fuse blows, once it worked for about a week then it blew again, can anyone help.
  • mom22sonsmom22sons Member Posts: 5
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    There have been issues with the sockets that the tail lights are in...seems that he heat of the bulb causes them to melt and short out...maybe this is your problem?
  • lb71lb71 Member Posts: 2
    I see Ventures have quite a bit a electrical problems. I am having similar problems with tail lights overheating the bulb sockets. What is the solution? though it didn't look like the license plate lights are over heating. I have a 2002 venture
    Smoother the end of the bulb and socket with di-electric grease. That worked for me.
  • lb71lb71 Member Posts: 2
    thanks there I will try it out
  • gayegillgayegill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Venture Van. The problem is as stated in the title. Once I was told to disconnect the (positive) post for 1-5 mins to reset the computer. To my surprise it worked!!! Wait before you jump for joy. It only worked for about (2) on, off cycles of the ignition. It only worked that once and I've been frustrated since.

Is there anyone who has had this problem, and how did you resolve it?
  • pastaboypastaboy Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone help with this one? My power side vent windows have stopped working.
    I have checked the fuses and they are good. I had a spare switch from a parts van and installed it and they still do not work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Does the wiring run through the headliner or under the carpeting?
  • al55al55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Venture that is having flickering lights trouble. I see that an earlier post it was solved by replacing the earthing bolt on the alternator. Is that just a fancy term for the alternator bolts that hold it in place? Or is there actually an earthing bolt that is not part of the securing bolts. If there is such an animal where in the world is it located? I know somewhere on the alternator itself but where? Any help out there for a weary traveler?
    Thanx in advance :cry:
  • pastaboypastaboy Member Posts: 3
    I decided to pull the motor on the rear vent window and replace it with the one from
    the parts van. This solved the problem. It wasn't a wiring problem after all. The moter is very small and not heavy duty at all.
    Hope this helps somebody else.
    I had trouble with flickering dash & exterior lights on our 2000 as well. I just replaced the alternator and the problem went away. I figured if I was going to go through all of the trouble to get to it, while I'm there I might as well just replace it.

If you do it yourself, plan to spend at least 4 hours - there's a lot of stuff to remove & replace - might as well take your time. The quote I got from the mechanic was $ 750 to replace it due to all of the labor. The part was about $ 150 is I remember right.

Good Luck
    :shades:
  • cboychukcboychuk Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 venture that blinks interior and exterior lights as well. sometimes it will do it, sometimes it wont. also, my abs light was always on, now when i start it, its off, when i go to drive it the motor hesitates like a stall, than the light (abs) comes back on.
  • jhdjhd Member Posts: 20
    I posted it in a Chevy Venture string, but this is a better place for it.

I have an intermittent ABS light coming on after driving on the wet roads or thru the slush. Then sometime it goes off while driving. When engine is stopped and restarted, it goes off. I would think if wires was damaged and salt/water would short the sensor, it would not reset after restarting the engine. In anticipation of this problem, I have RTV sealed the connector wire seals in the summer when I also changed the rotors. It was giving the same problems last year in the winter. Convoluted tubing is done but I used electrical tape to protect wires. Maybe there is a buildup on the surface and can not read the rotor signal? Can the sensor be cleaned?
    Thanks in advance!
  • belucas66belucas66 Member Posts: 1
    I am having all kids of problems with the electrical system on my 04Venture. Passenger window won't work, electrical in nature, gas gauge won't work, left tail light board blows all the time and the headlights are crap! Engine is strong and nice running vehicle other than that.
    Keeps going i'll have to drive at night with a flashlight.
  • chrystal1899chrystal1899 Member Posts: 1
    It's supposed to do that. you have SCV (speed control volume). you can turn it off, refer to your manual as to how to do that.
  • shoddershodder Member Posts: 2
    Belucas66 see my post #61 in this thread for a simple conversion to brighter headlights. Hope this helps.
  • bobchrys78bobchrys78 Member Posts: 1
    already replaced brake switch on pedal all bulbs and both light strips 3 times. what do i do now
  • scttapplebyscttappleby Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 chevy venture. It miss fires randomally but fairly often. When it does it throws a code for crank sensor. I replaced the crank sensor and the harmonic balancer. Still hasn't fixed the problem. Also the speedomoter will also randomally work then occasionally not work. With these two problems being sparatic and seem to have no rhyme or reason it makes me believe I have an electrical issue. Any ideas?
  • hunter06hunter06 Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2010
    I have a 2001 Chevy venture with 148K miles. Works great but suddenly a few days a go while starting the car, I noticed that the lights did not come on but was able to get the high beam.

Need help to solve the mystery of why the low beam or daytime running lights(DRL) do not work but if I toggle the stick I get the high beam. I have been using the high beam for the past couple of days.

My panel lights and the front amber lights do work but the headlight does not come on.

I checked the fuse but could not see anything. Also since the fuse has multiple functions like panel lights etc they seem to be working.

I need some clue or direction to try and check for possible causes before I spend money at a repair shop.

HELP !! :-)

:confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    edited April 2010
    I'm confused...

On our 2000 Venture, the DRLs were the front amber lights, not the low beam headlights.

I would pull & check the bulbs for the low beams 1st to make sure that they're both OK. Might be as simple as 2 blown out bulbs
  • smanlutz3smanlutz3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 02 venture door ajar hatch ajar and low brake fluid lights are on wondered if any one ever found a solution for this problem
  • b336b336 Member Posts: 3
    We went on a long trip last week. On the way home (about 100 miles) the battery began to stink. I drove it on home and the fluid inside the battery was boiling. We assumed that the alternator was over-charging. (Those things are a pain to get out!!!) It shop-tested fine. What would cause this?? Is there some kind of voltage sensor that could be bad and sending a "0" voltage to the alternator, causing it to over-charge??
    I think I posted this wrong. Here it is again:

We went on a long trip last week. On the way home (about 100 miles) the battery began to stink. I drove it on home and the fluid inside the battery was boiling. We assumed that the alternator was over-charging. (Those things are a pain to get out!!!) It shop-tested fine. What would cause this?? Is there some kind of voltage sensor that could be bad and sending a "0" voltage to the alternator, causing it to over-charge??
  • sallylsallyl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Venture and I have not had any interior lifgts working in my van for about a year 1/2, :( and I have changed fuses and bulbs still no lights and the cigarette lighter don't work either I think mine has some kind of a short.
  • kan_i_fix_it_2kan_i_fix_it_2 Member Posts: 1
    ok i have a 1997 chevy venture. Both brake lights are out. The fuse is ok, light bulbs both good. i have tail lights, both signal lights working and the brake light on the top of the hatch is working. What should i be checking for now. Please help
  • angiemanringangiemanring Member Posts: 2
    my van quit running while I was driving it. The fuel pump relay (x4), fuel pump and PCM have been replaced. Van still wont start. If you jump start the fuel pump the van will run perfectly as long as there is fire going to it. I can't find out the reason why I cant get fire thru my relay to the fuel pump. The relay doesn't click when the van is switched on. HELP
  • angiemanringangiemanring Member Posts: 2
    figured it out after having the ignition module check out. It was fine. I got so aggravated I tore wiring harness apart and found broke wire between pcm and under hood fuse box. All good now. Running like new.
    In case anyone was wondering:

The battery had a bad cell and needed to be replaced. After I thought about it, I remembered that the initial sign that something was wrong was that the automatic sliding door would not work when the engine was running. I realized that there was not enough voltage on the battery to run the engine and the door at the same time. As the battery voltage got lower, the engine began to miss and cut out like the fuel pump was bad, but the manual said that the computer must have a certain voltage to control the various engine functions.
  • jabosjabos Member Posts: 1
    whole dashboard doesnt light up at night...
    no lights at all ..except for the small orange line under PRD123 ....
    but cant see what gear or what speed i drive..
    darkness...
    checked all fuses..all okay..
    it s not the dimmer either..
    best and worst scenarios?
    much thx..
    If you ever get this figured out let me know, the same thing happened to my 2000. I checked everything I could with no luck so I wired a jumper in the overhead light switch so that the lights at least work now via a switch.
  • hummingbirdanahummingbirdana Member Posts: 4
    Did you find a solution? I am starting to have the same problem. seems to be when I press the gas the lights start to dim then bright dim then bright in a pulsating rythem. thank you, G
  • ajrjajrj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 venture that needed a battery replacement. After replacing it started once, then DEAD. Later started again and will restart if you turn the key to off, then start. If the key is turned to lock, everything is dead again. A local mechanic has had the vehicle for 2 weeks. Replaced brainbox (PCM), starter, wireing harnesses and more. Did you find a fix for your problem?? We are at our wits end, the mechanic has called others for help. GM guy says, maybe this, or maybe this.........no solution yet!! Help!!
  • omerisomeris Member Posts: 1
    I got a 1997 Venture and my problem is the following: sometime when I try to start my van, it wont start. I turn the key, dash lights comes on but when I turn again to crank it, it just dont and then electricity cuts, no lights, no door lock, no window, no radio, no nothing! What can make this happen?
  • chaseschases Member Posts: 41
    How in the world can I/We get plugs for engine components when they go bad without buying a complete wire harness? Had a mechanic accidentally pull the wires out of the back of my EGR plug this weekend. I'm trying to find a simpler and cheeper fix for him without redoing all the electrical on the engine. :confuse: :confuse:
  • finallyagirlfinallyagirl Member Posts: 1
    Have you figured out the problem? My 2000 venture is blowing this fuse when put in reverse also.
  • traveler20traveler20 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had thier fan switch module go out and to find it melted once taken out?
    Levels 1,2,4,5 quit working, the module switch had overheated and melted, as well as the harness plug connected to.

Was there ever a recall on this?
  • nmagdelenonmagdeleno Member Posts: 3
    Degreased engine and sprayed it with water hose. Let dry for three days, now engine won't start. Completely dead, no click, nothing. Pulled starter and had it checked, starter was fine. Anyone had this problem?
  • nmagdelenonmagdeleno Member Posts: 3
    Degreased engine and sprayed it with water hose. Let dry for three days, now engine won't start. Completely dead, no click, nothing. Pulled starter and had it checked, starter was fine. Anyone had this problem?
  • kensekense Member Posts: 1
    2000 Chev Venture van, no tail lights, no instrument panel back light. I can't find a fuse marked for this, the bulbs are OK. All other lights work fine, signal, brake etc.

I believe that the tail lights and instrument panel back light is controlled by the same fuse/module (from internet search) but I can't find a burnt fuse or which module it might be.

What fuse/module controls the tail lights?
  • cappie2cappie2 Member Posts: 3
    I know what you are going through with what I call the 2001 venture monster.
    My fuel guage did the same thing, it had not worked for over a year.
    One day, after filling up my tank, I drive it for 18 miles and the gas light came on, saying tank was empty. After coasting to a station, it took 1 gallon of gas to fill it up.
    Bottom line, I replaced the fuel pump and that fixed a lot of problems, as it was shorting out in other areas. My gas guage is now working.

After two weeks of driving problem free (or so I thought), my ABS lights came on, the service engine light, the flashers stayed on all the time. When I would step on the break and make a left turn, the flasher would flash very fast, take my foot off the brake, flashed normal. Battery light on, and the rear back up assist was dinging like crazy. "Then" the next day, every light on my dash came on, lights which I didn't know that I had, everything was going crazy. Then all the back exterior lights went out.

I took it to the dealership, and they found that both circuit boards, (behind the tail light assembly had fried. $400.66 later, I don't have any problems.

I was also told that those circuit boards regulate a lot of the wiring, and now I have a normal looking dash, with all the lights working.
    I hope this helps you.
  • 99ventureowner99ventureowner Member Posts: 3
    check under your fuse box which is on the curb side of your engine and on your battery if there is corrosion you need to clean that all off i had the same problem and that took care of it
  • 99ventureowner99ventureowner Member Posts: 3
    so every now and then my curb side window would go down then wouldnt come back up. after while it would but this time it went down and has yet to come back up what would do this please reply ill try your fix if it sounds reasonable