Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Has anyone heard what changes are to be made for the 2003 Forester??? The two things I'm most interested in are: 1) increasing rear seat legroom, and 2) getting rid of those rear tower struts to increase cargo room. Any clues anyone?

Leo
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yes, there have been clues. One magazine went as far as saying the next Forester would be based on the Legacy platform, instead of the Impreza, but I'm guessing perhaps they heard someone inside Subaru talking about using the Legacy's rear suspension and then made too many assumptions. The 2005 SUW will go on the Legacy platform, so I think the Forester will stay on the Impreza platform, but perhaps take the rear suspension from the Legacy.

Yes, that would mean more rear seat space. I'm sure Subaru will address that, given it's the #1 complaint.

-juice
    juice,

Will using the suspension from the Legacy reduce those rear tower struts in the Forester?

Leo
  • jefflowjefflow Member Posts: 2
    Hi to everyone here.

This is my first post but I have been lurking awhile. I own a 2002 Forester. Thrilled with it in every way.

Now,, I'm looking for a Forester toy or model car.

Has anyone seen one? I've looked in all the hobby shops - even ToysrUs - for all their huge selection - and come up emptyhanded.

-Jeff
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Jeff- Good luck. Model carmakers concentrate on high volume and/or high visibility models like the PT Cruiser. They'd have a hard time recouping the design costs for low sales volume vehicles like the Forester.

-Frank P.
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    I picked up my '02 S Prem last Thur in the rain. When the Sun came out on Friday I noticed many polish swirls on the hood, they were so bad I thought they were scratches, which I guess they really are. My salesman as well as an independent auto body shop said these can be buffed out. Did/do you have similar problems? I am bringing in this Thur. to have fixed.

The black monotone was my color of choice, hope it wasn't a mistake!
    Yes, Leo. Look at the 1999 and 2000 Outbacks side-by-side. The former has strut towers, and left a fairly narrow space between them in the cargo area. The new ones are much wider at that point, by a couple of inches. The towers are still there, but they are much less intrusive.

On the Forester, that's really what limits rear leg room. You can't move the rear seat farther back, because it's blocked by the large towers. On the 1998-2000 Forester, you'll notice that only the middle portion of the seats recline, not the whole thing. All for the same reason.

So, two things would help. Stretch the wheelbase, so the towers are farther back, or toss the suspension and "Outback" that bad boy.

Jeff: I feel your pain. I've looked since 1998 and have not found one. There is a stuffed animal with the Forester logo on it in an accessory catalog, though. It's a kangaroo. I also have the Koala with the Outback logo; my toddler loves it.

Congrats to you and to Jerry, BTW.

Black is the hardest color to keep clean, and it shows any imperfections more than any other color. Though I still like the way it looks. Try the wax threads to see what products people use to minimize that.

-juice

Edit: spelling
    should be very interesting. thanks, juice ;)

Leo
  • schollischolli Member Posts: 10
    Getting a blue S, 5 speed. Added the additional security feature, cargo net, and arm rest. This has been so painless! Did most of the negotiations over the Internet. Test drove the car, loved it, and started e-mailing dealers. The dealer who had the car I wanted (I really wanted the blue and couldn't find too many dealers who had one) made an offer of $100 over invoice. Spoke to him today - and put in the paper work. It's contingent on my trade-in and a test drive which happens on Saturday. It's a snowy day today and boy, I wish I had the car already. I can't wait!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you came out of the shadows and decided to join us!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Leo: it's funny be we find ourselves sort of shopping for a new vehicle and I still come back to the Forester as a top alternative, even in its 5th model year. That's amazing.

The wife doesn't want to own two of the same car, but I'm hoping the 2003 has enough improvements to talk her into it.

Let's hope there's still snow on the ground when you get it! Make sure you practice driving in a snowy parking lot to get used to it.

-juice
    Good luck...hope you get a decent price for your trade. Most dealers refuse to meet Edmunds trade in value, I was able to get within a few hundred dollars but it took some work. Where do you plan to make your purchase?

Jerry
  • pal086pal086 Member Posts: 33
    Jerry -- I haven't noticed any swirls like you mentioned on my car -- at least I wasn't looking closely for any such thing. But as juice mentioned, any little dirt shows up on the black -- our dealer among others warned us -- but we still think its by far the best choice for S+ unless you are living somehwere really warm. Guess we'll just have to visit the carwash a little more frequently :) Hope you can get the problem fixed.

Regarding the Subaru toy model -- I would be interested in buying one too if anyone can find it. However as a 'substitute' , we now have the Subaru MasterCard offered by MBNA. It has a picture of a black Forester on it (we actually conned one of our friends who for at least a few minutes believed that we had specially sent a photo of our car to be placed in the card !!)..
    the card seems to be a good deal -- you get 3% of your spending in the form of Subaru coupons which can be used for any Subaru parts, service or even towards a new car.

Whats the deal with the LL Bean stuff ??
  • cyberpiratecyberpirate Member Posts: 28
    Any one here gets "Drive" magazine (published by SOA)?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    a bunch of us do.

Bob
    Bob,

I just bought a Forester. Would you consider
    mailing your L.L.Bean certificate offer? I would be your referal. Both of us will get L.L.Bean
    certificates

Thanks
    Juice,

The Forester is also on my list for new cars. The MY 2003 should have a lot of remodel cars coming out, so I'm going to see if I can hold off until then. When do MY 2003 come out, Oct 2002??
    We're looking at starting a family so we need four door car that has a child-friendly back seat....ie not killing my back with infant seats. Plus something can "carry lots of stuff", according to my wife. Since we've got married, I'm amazed at the "stuff" we needed to haul!! Who would have thought that becoming "civilized" would require so much "Stuff". Strange, I never seemed to miss those things, ie stuff, when I was a bachelor ;)

Leo
    Drive goes out to all new owners. Call 800-SUBARU3 if you're not getting it - they'll sign you right up. A letter I wrote to them was even published, with a photo of me and my daughter next to Sandy.

What's this LL Bean certificate offer? Do you get some rebate if you mail it in, or if someone referred you? I'm interested because the LL Bean is on the wife's short list for her next car.

Leo: traditionally, yes, it was in the fall, but now it's all year 'round for new model releases. Next year there will be a new Forester, Accord, Sienna, Honda Pilot, updated MPV, etc. Lots of cars we'll be looking at.

The Forester has been fine with one child. We some times use a roof top carrier, plus a bike rack, but we fit even for week-long road trips. Two kids will be tight, because we do not pack light.

Just heard juice junior's heartbeat this AM. Our 2nd child is on the way. The wife is 9 weeks pregnant, so it looks like July 24th. :-)

-juice
  • schollischolli Member Posts: 10
    Am getting the car at CarMart in Wilmington. I had been test driving cars at Concord Subaru, but basically am going to CarMart as they have the car I want. I checked out Bertera (as I'm going to W. Spfld for the holidays), but the car I wanted had several options added that I didn't want - it would have been more expensive to get it at invoice there than for $100 over at CarMart. I'm being picky about color.

I don't expect to get Edmunds trade-in value. (even though I think that seems low - I'm trading in my 99 VW Golf with lots of miles on it.) I'm expecting that to be a pain in the neck - it's the part of the deal that I dread.
    If you have CarMax outlets near you, they'll buy your car even if you're not buying there. They typically offer more than dealers, though private sale still gets the most money.

-juice
  • jefflowjefflow Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to juice, pal086, Frank and tidester for the warm welcome and advice about Forester toy cars. Too bad they're simply not available.

Now,, headlight protection ... a question. I know that there are 'do-it-yourself-cut-to-fit' clear vinyl adhesive covers available to protect headlamps.

What I'm looking for is those 'retro look' wire mesh jobs especially made by some car makers. I believe that they are available to Jeep and Land Rover owners; although they may be aftermarket. I had a pair in black wire mesh on a VW Jetta awhile back - they looked purposeful and attracted compliments.

I've already done a Google search and phoned my Canadian dealer to no avail. Do these exist?

-Jeff
    Sounds like a good deal, especially since it has only the equipment you want. I am sure you will love the Forester (as evidenced by the comments on this board). I will be happy with mine as soon as I get the paint problem squared away. Enjoy your visit to Western Mass...hopefully we will have some snow!

Jerry
    Jeff: given the small numbers of Foresters on the road, and those would have to be custom fit, I doubt we'll have luck finding any. Most of the mesh grille protectors I've seen are round or rectangular.

I guess you could make your own if you know a welder, but that may be more work than it's worth.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I no longer have the latest (or any) issue. Sorry...

Bob
    Juice,
    Congrats on Junior...

LL Bean thing is regarding gift certificate to
    buy LL Bean merchandise. Nothing to do with
    LL Bean outbacks! There is a certificate in
    Drive magazine. If you refer someone, you get
    $100 certificate, and the buyer get $200 certificate for LL Bean merchandise. I just
    got a new forester, and am wondering if anyone
    is interested in this.
    In case anybody's interested, 10 bales of pine straw fit into the Forester with no problem. I just flipped the back seats forward, put down a sheet to catch the loose needles, then a quick trip to the local garden supply center and viola, all the plantings are now nicely bedded down for the winter.

-Frank P.
    Sure I'm interested, wasn't it me that referred you? ;-)

E-mail me at ateixeira@ifc.org if you want. I like LL Bean's stuff. They have an outlet in Rehoboth Beach, and a store in Tysons Corner, VA that is supposedly really neat (even has an indoor pond to test out that hand-tied fly).

Frank: sweet. I may have you beat - I loaded 22 bags of wood chips, 3 cubic feet per, inside the Forester, hatch closed. I even used the front seat, but I was left with quite a mess! Should have used a tarp.

I learned my lesson and borrowed Bob's trailer the next time.

Hmm, that's 66 cubic feet! How big are those pales?

-juice
    Heard that using premium gas would
    yeild better milage (3-4 miles extra).
    Any experiences? Any opinion on various
    brands (Shell, Amaco, Marathon...)
    I doubt it. Higher octane measures only the ability to resist pinging. The 2.5l boxer engine isn't especially high in compression, and the timing does not advance/retard according to the fuel octane. C&D did an article on octane, and found that you should use what the manufacturer recommends. For Subaru, it's 87 octane for the 2.5l, premium for the H6 and WRX.

-juice
    Just another myth encouraged by the gas station industry to get you to spend an additional 20 cents per gallon and thereby enhance their bottom line. Those owners who only want the best for their cars and therefore buy premium but then feel compelled to justify the expense also keep this myth alive. Most will also claim that their car runs better on the rich stuff but several studies have refuted that argument.

-Frank P.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Remember what octane ratings mean. Higher octane fuel simply resists pre-detonation more than lower octane fuel -- it doesn't mean it burns cleaner or will give all cars better performance.

The only time you should go beyond what the manufacturer recommends is if you experience pinging or knock.

Frank -- Nice story. Did you also flip back the fron passenger seat and remove the headrest for even more space?

Ken
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Just used it towing 5000lbs across PA up and down the allegany mts. in the trooper. I had no performance issues and no milage hit.

-mike
    Amoco was slapped in the wrist for claiming they remove "harmful impurities" to create Amoco Ultimate. They even had to pull the ads.

That means their 87 octane gas does not have any harmful impurities. Pure nonsense marketing.

At wholesale the price of premium is about 3 cents higher than regular, so the other 17 cents is paying for oil company CEOs' Porsche payments. ;-)

-juice
  • mrbill808mrbill808 Member Posts: 14
    I need a replacement drivers side back brake light cover for 2001 Forester. The larger part that wraps around to the side of the car. Can anyone give me an idea of where they sell an affordable replacement?

Thanks
    Bill
  • dhdunndhdunn Member Posts: 51
    Folks, I just test drove a Forester S today for the first time. I liked the vehicle, but had one concern. The rear end seemed to sway when making quick lane changes. Also, I read a review on it comparing it to other "small" SUVs. The review basically said, "Great car, but it ain't no SUV." That's fine, because we have an Explorer which has been outstanding. But I would like to be able to take it at least on moderately challenging roads to go camping/hiking and the like (Rockies are my home).

Could y'all please let me know what you think of the car in general, and let me know if you find the sway problem as well? Also, what are your top 5 reasons for buying this vehicle? Kindly respond to dhdunn@yahoo.com. Thanks so much!!

dhdunn
    Ken- Nope, all 10 fit in the cargo compartment. I put in 4 bales stacked 2-high width wise first and then 6 more bales stacked 2-high length wise. The 10 of them did pretty max out the useable cargo space since they were almost touching the head-liner.

-Frank P.
  • mikeh19mikeh19 Member Posts: 18
    hey everyone. Yup, my wife and I finally committed and bought the 2002 L in Green (we didn't like the titanium panels on the S)and basically we maganged to get the Auto for $200 more than the Stan and they threw in the rear cover for free. Before we pick up Friday AM I'd like to go over the math of our contract to see exactly how the monthly payment is determined. I've already consulted many of the monthly calculators online (edmunds, dealer web sites) but I always seem to be off by $1.00 to $1.30 lower than the dealer's number. I'd like to figure this out manually, so for all the number crunchers how do I do that? The list of numbers I have are:
    my price with taxes included and all charges.
    my down payment.
    my interest rate.
    my term (60months)
    Anything else?
    If it helps I'm in Montreal, Quebec.
    mike.

p.s I'll submit more posts on my car buying ordeal if it will help/interest anyone. I took a lot of advice from everyone's postings so I figure it's time to give back.
    dhdunn- I don't have a problem with rear end sway and I find it hard to imagine that the Forester's would sway more than an Explorer's. However, if it bothers you, you can easily install a stiffer anti-sway bar for about a $100.

Reviews frequently mention that the Forester isn't a "true SUV". This is mainly because reviewers expect SUVs to be truck-based with a harsh ride and a high seating position and therefore tippy. The Forester is car-based and therefore rides and handles much more like a car than a truck. The seating position is also lower than most of its competition, which does somewhat diminish your capability to see around traffic (Excursions and the like). However, you gain by having a lower center of gravity which makes the Forester the sportiest handling "mini-SUV" and also the least likely to tip over. Some SUV purists also claim that it's not an SUV unless it has low-range gearing. However, many other mini-SUVs also lack this feature so the Forester isn't alone in that regard. For off-roading purposes, the Forester is capable of handling most of the non-technical stuff. If you really want to venture off the beaten path, then you're better off with a Liberty. Since in addition to not having a low-range, the Forester lacks good approach and departure angles. Therefore boulder hopping isn't one of its strong points. However, for the vast majority of owners, the Forester is more than adequate for their occasional off-roading needs.

-Frank P.
    Bill: LAMP #84201FC011 $107.96 + SHIPPING, from subaruparts.com. I just had mine replaced after an accident. The shipping was $16.50 but also included a bumper fascia. Warning - they were slow, slow, slow by e-mail. Consider ordering by phone.

dhdunn: check your inbox. An 18mm rear sway bar will make it corner a bit flatter, and I paid just $82. Even stock it leans less than a CR-V or RAV4.

Mike: do you have Excel on your PC? Use the Function wizard, they have a PMT() command that lets you figure it out.

Forester has a 4 wheel independent suspension, like a Hummer. It has a unibody, like a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has no low range, like a GMC Sierra Denali and many luxury SUVs. GMC even mimicks Subaru's manual-tranny AWD system with its viscous coupling.

But Subaru chose the hard path, and certified the Forester as a car. Therefore is meets bumper standards, roof crush standards, and other safety standards that trucks don't have to meet. It lacks the mandatory rollover warning that trucks must display, too. And it must help Subaru meet the CAFE standard of 27.5 mpg, instead of 20.7 mpg for truck fleets.

So, it doesn't guzzle nearly enough gas to be considered an SUV, and the handling is way too sporty for that. The price is also too low.

Is that really so bad? ;-)

-juice
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    My Forester is definitely not an SUV which is one of the reasons I like it so much. As to whether it can handle camping duties, I refer you to the following site:

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/albums/

The last two albums show some to the roads Rufus handled. Zero problems except for the slight body mods shown in Rufus # 21 & 22.

I find the Forester much more stable and predictable than the VW Golf that it replaced. Tire pressure is critical for good handling on a Forester. I wonder what the test drive had. I run 33/32 these days and am very happy. Overall, I think the Forester is the best car I have owned in over thirty years of new car buying. Hope this helps.

Ross

If PhotoPoint were only up and running, I'd show you pictures of Sandy at the beach, the farm, and the Pine Barrens sand trails. I also have a pic of a flying Forester 6' in the air, and another Rally Crossing.

So yeah, I think they can get you to a camp site. ;-)

-juice
  • dalelynndalelynn Member Posts: 28
    Happy Holidays everbody! Just an FYI about the gauge pack. Some of you may know I've had multiple problems with my S+ gauge pack with problems ranging from internal condensation(loose seals), dealer installing wrong replacement model and dials that did not have consistent light bulb colors on each dial. Good News! My local Subaru District Manager informed me that there were manufacturing issues and I should hold tight until February when the issues should be resolved and then they will replace it, hopefully, for the LAST time!
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    dhdunn,

The reviews are right -- the Forester is a hybrid vehicle, if you may. It's a passenger car that has increased ground clearance and a beefier suspension to allow it to venture a little bit beyond the pavement. It's aimed to the needs of 90% of SUV owners. It's very functional, gets you through all road conditions and it's sporty.

If your needs go call for regular offroading, you probably shouldn't choose the Forester. While there are some who have taken it on very challenging trails, you do run a higher risk of damage to your vehicle.

Consider your needs -- how often do you offroad? How much of a tradeoff are you willing to make between offroading capability and on-road performance.

Ken
  • ray70ray70 Member Posts: 18
    Like you, I needed a vehicle that could travel safely in the Mountana rockies. My kids have a cabin 10 miles north of Yellowstone Park at the end of a steep, badly eroded logging road. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well my Forester did on the roads. More ground clearance and power would have been nice, but not necessary. You just need to "ride the ridges" so you don't high center. I have been able to take my Forester everywhere I have been able to take my 86 Chevy Pickup in 4 high, I just have to drive it extremely careful. If you need low range to get to your destination, the Forester is not the vehicle for you.

Ray
  • dhdunndhdunn Member Posts: 51
    Thanks all for your messages!! They were most helpful!! Juice, thanks for the emails - very helpful insights.

p0926, you're absolutely right about the Forester vs. the Explorer. The Explorer doesn't so much sway as careen!! :) But I expect that from this vehicle, so it's okay. My real "sin" in this question is that I'm comparing it to my Lincoln LS (well, not intentionally, but probably somewhat inevitably). That's a completely ludicrous thing for me to do, but the LS, which i ADORE (and which is a completely different vehicle - i would be more accurate in comparing the Forester to our baby grand piano, or the LS to the piano...).

I wasn't at all deterred by the "You're no John F. Kennedy" approach to some of these reviews (substitute "SUV" for "JFK"). But I just wanted to get some feedback from folks who already have one. Any major offroad stuff we have to do will be done in the Explorer, which has been terrific.

I am attracted by the gas mileage, and definitely by the AWD. Do you think the limited slip differential is a good reason to get an S instead of an L? I'm just about sold on the S, but I'm just curious. I assume that the handling in inclement weather in this car simply cannot be beat. Thanks one and all once again!!

dhd
    The LS is a fine platform that Ford over-engineered so it could be used for a Jaguar. Its sporty nature and RWD really put Lincoln back on the map for a lot of folks. CR even rates reliability as average, and gave the LS a higher overall rating than the Jag!

So let's put it this way, the Forester is the most LS-like in its class. By that I mean car-like, smooth, quiet, nimble, and fun-to-drive.

My worst tank ever was 20.7mpg in a week of driving at the beach, mostly off road. My best broke the 30mpg mark by just a tad. I usually get about 22-28mpg, averaging 25.1mpg. Frank does even better, and one guy reported a tank at over 33mpg! Wow!

BTW, in your case, I do think the rear LSD is of benefit. Given you are concerned about its off-road potential, every bit helps. Also, the tires on the S are better and sportier than the ones on the L. But the L is a great value, and you could get snow tires for it to get you through just about anything.

-juice
  • tankgirltankgirl Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone,

My Forester is a great car & I'm really enjoying driving it. Now I've decided I need a few more things - a trailer hitch is one of them. I read a while back about someone doing an install & provided pics. Was it you, Juice? Is the general consensus that it's easier to just let the dealer do the install or do you think it's easy enough for me to do? (I've been called the mechanically declined).

thanks--Ann
    I have nearly everything in the catalog. ;-)

PhotoPoint.com is down now, but when it comes back up, it asks for an e-mail to visit a friend's album, just enter ateixeira@ifc.org.

It's not easy. 7 big bolts, remove and reinstall. They were very tight, so you should have a torque wrench with a long shaft. You also have to remove the exhaust vaccum canister and reinstall it below the hitch mounting point. I wouldn't call it hard, but you may want to let a dealer do it.

I've seen DrawTite and Hidden Hitch models that fit the Forester, too, and those may cost a lot less. UHaul sells and installs them, as does Trick Trucks and Pep Boys. Shop around, I bet you can get it for under $200 installed for a Class I hitch and 4 wire harness.

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I heard a rumor that it was down for good this time. Let us know if you hear otherwise.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • goose14goose14 Member Posts: 11
    forrester apparently sends torque front or abck no only when wheels slip but in proportion to how the weioght is distributed when going up or down hill. That is likely why traction is so very ery good in ice and snow. No body but me (I?) can get up the hill infront of my house. My mercedes was trapped in the garage for days. Forrester just went up driveway into bit hill and off to work. I am SOLD on the thing. No porblems yet at 14,000 miles. Pure adoration. Will get one for wife so she can be secure too.
This discussion has been closed.