Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture Electrical Problems

12346»

Comments

• wub51wub51 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for posting this mikeb50; I had a similar issue with my 1999 Chevy Venture. The taillights and brake lights stopped working. My turn signals were acting screwy too; sometimes the radio lights would blink when I used a turn signal. Sometimes I would hit the right turn signal, but both would go on. I cleaned the contacts, especially the one melting the connector plastic, cleaned the receptacle, attempted to bend the pin to make better contact, and then added some dielectric grease. This fixed all the electrical problems. I will replace the connectors eventually, but the parts store I called does not carry them. I assume I'll need to go to a dealer.
  • markman01markman01 Member Posts: 4
    Hi...I'm having problems which I think might be the switch....The cruise stopped working {which drives me crazy as I drive 500 miles a night mostly interstate and state routes}, and the wipers work on high only, except when they want to, then I can get low and delay for a time..sometimes til I hit a bump. The fuse for the cruise has been checked and changed just to be sure.........Since both functions are on the blinker stick, think that might be the problem? Thx! /Mark
  • tuileitutuileitu Member Posts: 1
    I have 1998 Chevrolet van, when my panel lights went out my tail lights did the same. I had tried changing the light switch 4 times and still nothing. Then one day it just came on but then it didnt the next day. My mechanic friend checked all the fuse, they are ok. Any idea what needs to be done? Please help because i do not know what else to do. just trying to avoid having to take it to the shop.
    Thanks
  • jenesaisrienjenesaisrien Member Posts: 3
    you say you have a chevrolet van , what kind of chevrolet van is it a chevy van or a venture
  • jenesaisrienjenesaisrien Member Posts: 3
    for your wipers the problem is the electronic card inside the wiper motor assy the led weldings crack and the contact is loose so they work intermitently remove the card and change it or reweld the weldings p.s take a mag glass and you will see the faulty weldings by moving the componants.
  • markman01markman01 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you...does that sound expensive? I'm completely useless when it comes to fixing my own car...
  • flipmanflipman Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    Hello all and thanks for your help. We live in Georgia. Ruth and I bought this 98 venture when it was new. We strapped our kids into the integrated child safety seats and drove many miles up and down the east coast. The van now has 179000 miles on it and still runs like new. I went to the junk yard and found several odds and ends that when installed made our van nearly perfect. I replaced the drivers information center module with from a 2000 Montana and it seemed to work fine. I reset it and the temp and compass work fine but the fuel usage info shows the dashed line which I think indicates a bad fuel and or speed sensor. Does anyone know where these sensors are located?
  • flipmanflipman Member Posts: 4
    I found plenty of them at the junk yard. When splicing them in make sure that they are soldered and heat shrink wrapped. Also make sure that the rubber gasket is good otherwise water will enter the fixture housing.
  • parson_sejparson_sej Member Posts: 1

I put an after-market radio/cd in my 2003 Venture. Purchased a vehicle-specific wiring harness w/chime and data-bus interface. Radio works fine. However, the headlamps come on whenever the switch is on (ACC also). Any ideas?

• jw1983jw1983 Member Posts: 3

I am not sure if this thread is even used by other members now. I have some problems that I am trying to figure out that I started to get yesterday.

I started my 2000 Venture a few days ago and everything was running fine. I did a headlight restore kit and the car was still fine.
    Yesterday I went and started it and all the gauge lights came on. I turned the key and there was a "call error" on the radio display and the van didn't even crank, just silence. All the lights were on the dash, the gauges didn't move and all the interior lights came on. The "security", "battery" and "low fuel" light were coming on the message centre. The tank has been filled since I bought the van three weeks ago and I haven't driven it really. I have been starting it every few days without issue. I tried to start it a few more times and the lights on the dash got dimmer and by the few times I did it the only light that was on the dash was the "engine light" and it was very dim. None of the locks were working, windows, interior light, headlights or taillight lights came on. When I was packing up getting ready to leave, I could hear the gauges trying to move. I could hear the motor behind the gauges. It happened for about 10 seconds and then stopped. This was when the key was removed.

I have never experienced this type of electrical problem before. The OEM key fob only unlocks and it stopped working. Same with the aftermarket fob that is only for the van starter. I changed most of the interior bulbs to LED and changed the passenger side power mirror since it was damaged from the previous owner(48 hours after I bought it). It appears that something was draining the battery. I don't have a voltage meter or an OBDll scanner. I am going to try and boost the battery and see if that's what it is. The battery looks okay but I am not sure if the date it was put in. I am going to try and find that out.

If there is anyone that can offer any advice would be great. I am kind of stumped. Since that the van isn't registered I am not able to get it towed to my mechanic to get it checked. Thanks in advance.

• fleastifffleastiff Member Posts: 52
    Chevy 2000 Venture: Turn the key get SILENCE and all panel lights go out (battery symbol, seatbelt) Had been making clicking noises and then starting (making me think its a starter solenoid) but now its dead silence and total electrical death.
    Whats your vote: solenoid, fuse, ignition switch, ??? What should I do?