Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If you have an AT Forester, yes it will shift it based on weight. My Trooper does the same thing.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Boo-hoo. :-( I want my money back!

I only wish I had snow to play on, goose!

-juice
  • dhdunndhdunn Member Posts: 51
    Paisan, what is an "AT Forester"? Thanks!!

dhdunn
    Automatic Transmission. We use lots of acronyms.

-juice
    -mike
    I'm so manual transmission fixated, that I didn't even BEGIN to guess on that!! duh!!

...and that round thing that blocks the view of the speedometer?? :)

well, I'm not all that acronym-challenged. My wife recently got an MPH, Masters in Public Health. I told her that if we ever move back to Europe, she'll have a KPH, Kilometers in Public Health...
    he he he. Clever.

-juice
    Folks, in my research I am pretty sure that I read that the Forester is on the same "platform" as the Outback/Legacy. Is this true?

Can anyone address the relative merits of the Forester vs. the Outback, and vice versa? From what I see, the Forester is a bit less expensive. Why is that? Of course, the new 6-cyl Outback is rather prohibitive...

Thanks!!

d
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    No, the current Forester is definitely based on the previous generation (through 2001) Impreza platform. There is some speculation that the 2003 may be Legacy based. I, for one, hope that the new model is based on the new Impreza.

In general, the Forester is lighter, a bit quicker and more agile/sporty. The Legacy/Outback is a bit more luxurious, has a softer ride and better rear passenger room.

Ross
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    It is a problem... they both have so many attributes...so I have one of each ( 2000 Outback Ltd. and 2002 Forester Premium+ ).

Jerry
  • ottensteinottenstein Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking to replace the original tires on my 2000 Forester with 215/60 R16 M&S radials and Alloy wheels. We live in Maryland where the roads get icey and occassional snow 2-10 inches. We want something good for snow and ice, but something we can use year around. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rick
  • mikeh19mikeh19 Member Posts: 18
    Hey all. I'm in the process of living with that 'new car smell' and from reading the posts it's been suggested that it's the undercoating that hasn't been completely 'burned off'. Can someone please explain what this undercoating is exactly and how it will affect or not affect when I would like to have it rust-proofed professionally? My dealer says now is a pretty good time to get it done since there is barely any road dirt on the car and you can really get the rust-proofing right on the metal (she's only 48hrs old with 136kms). FYI the City of Montreal is notorious for it's 'liberal' use of road salt. Rust is a big problem in Quebec. Thank God it's still pretty dry and there's only 5cm or less of snow on the ground. I think this would be a great discussion to start since we all know it's coming and to date I've only seen posts on winter preparation on tires only. Thanks in advance.
    Mike.
  • NancyNancy Member Posts: 5
    I have had a problem with my new Forrester having paint chips on the underside panel beneath the doors. It is at the top of the panel where the doors close. The dealer first said it was due to stones chipping the paint and now they are telling me I rub me feet against the panels getting into the vehicle. Can anyone tell me if they are having similar problems or how I can remedy this?
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Why do reviewers continue to carp about SUVs that are not built for "serious offroading"? It is illegal to run motorized vehicles off roads in most areas and immoral to do it in many places it is done. Where do they get the idea that it is sensible to expect a SUV to run up a creek bed or scale a steep, roadless hill? In no way is that the true raison detre for owning a SUV.

Here in Minnesota the SUV is popular mainly for people who need a station wagon that can handle heavy snow. My outdoors-minded friends and I use SUVs to drive country "roads" that are full of washouts and rocks that destroy cars built only for highway use.

Criticizing SUVs like Foresters for not being able to run amok off roads is like damning Miatas for not being true racing machines.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    here we go again...

<< Why do reviewers continue to carp about SUVs that are not built for "serious offroading"? It is illegal to run motorized vehicles off roads in most areas and immoral to do it in many places it is done. >>

Some of us *do* like to have true off-road capability with our SUVs. As for being "immoral," where do you get off as being so righteous as to telling others what is moral or not moral?

BTW, I do own a Forester. And yes, it is fine as is, but if I were to have two wishes, they would be to give it more off-road capability and more towing capability.

Sorry to dampen the holiday spirit here folks, but that kind of post really ticks me off.

Bob
    I live in Colorado, and to most folks (not all, but probably most) "offroad" means on 2nd or 3rd level US Forest Service roads. There are roads that are specifically meant for this, also called "Jeep trails", and for those, a 4X4 which has the ground clear and tough-enough suspension is really required. There are very few people in our part of N. America who really take their vehicles onto open terrain, as it is, as Storyteller states, usually illegal.

As for "moral" and "immoral", perhaps one can simply use the current code of laws in one's state/country as a basis for morality, and then "upgrade" as one sees fit - without expecting others to abide by one's own upgrades. I have known people who don't go hiking in the mountains because they think that it's immoral to damage the terrain. For my sensibilities, that's a bit extreme, but I don't try to drag them out to go hiking, nor do I allow them to harp on me for enjoying the beauties of the natural world.

In any case, my original question (which may or may not be the original question in question) was about to what extent do people use their Foresters for offroad or quasi-offroad use because my family does camp a lot. Whereas we have our trusty and well-loved Explorer for that, I would like to think that the Forester can handle a basic 2nd level US Forest Service road without a problem. From the feedback I saw, it ain't no problem...

By the way, there are TONS of Foresters on the road here in Colorado, not that this should be at all surprising.

d
    That is what they should refer to non-off-road non-towing capcity SUVs as. Cause in effect that is what they are. And that is what 95% or more of the SUV owners really need. But a "true" SUV is one with low range gears and excellent angles of approach and departure. Morals? Lets not get into morals, these same tree-huggers are the ones who believe it is morally correct to have non-sexual sexual relations in the whitehouse on business time from an intern... The forester is cool and can handle a lot of off-road stuff, but it's major problems are with the angles of approach and departure where it gets hung up.

-mike
    I think the Forester should be able to what you're asking without any problem.

When I say I would like the Forester to be more off-road capable, I'm not talking about turning it into a rock crawler with 36" tires. I'd like to see it with a dual-range tranny for better gearing in tough situations, a bit more ground clearance, and more under-body protection.

I too have an Explorer for more difficult tasks, but if our Forester had those items I just mentioned (along with better towing), I doubt we would have it much longer.

Bob
    Folks, I saw a review which compared the Forester with the Hummer H-1, and it said that...

...just kidding...

Bob, thanks for the insights. I had a 4Runner back in 1985 when they first came out. It had the ol' 22R engine (I think) which was a 2.4 litre, and it was great!! Low set of gears, and manually-engaging hubs. So, I agree that an SUV is a cloudy little term. If I wanted another really rugged vehicle, I wouldn't be looking at the Forester. But it seems that it will be exactly what we're looking for (not to mention less expensive in terms of payments than my Lincoln LS!!).

Paisan, as far as tree-huggers go, I'm a tree hugger. Actually, I love the vanilla-ish smell of some pine trees, and when I smell one I, much to the delight of my daughters, hug and kiss it. Personally, I am deeply moved by God's creation, and feel a duty to teach such tree-hugging to my daughters. A nice balanced approach is what I hope they learn - I'm sure they'll find a better middle path. I invite you to study the life and presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, who was one of this country's first true conservationists while also holding to some conservative values as well. So, aligning "tree-huggers" with whitehouse intern stuff perhaps is more of an act of catharsis than anything else? Hope you feel better!! :)

d
  • mikeh19mikeh19 Member Posts: 18
    Hey Nancy, I've got a new Forester too, but I haven't had or noticed that problem. I'll be on the look out. Maybe you should ask the dealer if eventually some rust forms if that's still covered.
    Mike
    Good solution, Jerry!

Mike: I'd recommend washing the undercarriage after driving through chemical treated snow. Most the steel is now galvanized. Subaru puts on undercoating for the trip across the Pacific.

Nancy: get door sill plates. I had to do this for my Miata, since the previous owner had scratched them up (high heels, maybe? Dunno).

You don't need custom sizes, either. I measured the width and length, then went to Pep Boys with a tape measure, and found some from a GMC pickup, of all things, that fit just fine. It was less than $20 for a pair of plastic ones, with two-sided tape.

Interestingly, the plastic is taking a beating, so I guess I'm not as careful as I should be, either!

Steve: Subaru supports the "Leave no Trace" and "Tread Lightly" programs. Some people do need limited capabilities, such as getting around on farm property, access to surf fishing, or just picking up apples at the orchard (hint: the good stuff is in the back where the 2WD cars can't go).

I work for the Environment Department, so I guess that makes me a de-facto tree hugger. I see nothing wrong with a little off-road recreation, as long as you leave things pretty much the way you found them.

-juice
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    undercoating smell: When my Forester was brand new, I noticed this "sulferish" smell. I assumed it was coming from the catalytic converter so I changed brands of gas. It seemed to slightly mitigate the smell but it was still there. Now, after 4 months have gone by, I can hardly detect the smell at all. Was this the "new-car-undercoating-buring-off-smell" which everyone refers to that I was smelling? ...or could it be that the system is now adapting to the different brand of gas that I've been using?

dhdunn-- The Forester is a replacement for my beloved '86 4Runner 2.4RE (first EFI?). That was some bullet-proof engine! And the 4W-low got me out of some situations that I wouldn't even think of taking the Forester. *tsk* ...I miss that 4Runner.

--'rocco
    I'm all for protecting the environment, but I'm also for enjoying it, and by going on off-road trails you don't harm the environment in any way. 99% of 4-wheelers aren't out there mowing down trees, etc. etc. (besides its hard to mow down trees with any kind of SUV)

-mike
    Bob, most SUVs don't come with skid plates as std equipment. I believe only the Montero, Trooper and TLC (maybe a few others) come with any kind of underbody protection beyond plastic.

-mike
    However, if more were truly used off road, I bet they would. The ones that do come with under-body protection, are usually more "world-market" vehicles that are sold in places such as Africa, Asia, Australia, etc.

Bob
    Was that you can always get aftermarket underbody protection (even for the forester) so that isn't a big priority, the Overhangs and low-range and towing are things you can't just tack on. It would be cool to see a forester with like 35" tires on it. I bet it would do great cause of the short wheelbase! Then hack off the front and rear bumpers replaceing them with a winch bumper in the front (Alloy to save weight) and it would be one mean off-roader!

-mike
    that here in North America we show great concern to ecological issues (off-roading vs. no off-roading, tree-hugging, etc.) yet in much of the rest of the world off-roading is a matter of survival, and ecology be dam*ed.

It's also interesting to note that Mother Nature does much harm itself. Every time lightning starts a forest fire, or a hurricane wipes out beaches, or a volcano erupts; huge amounts of ecological damage is done&#151;much more than any off-roading will do.

Having said that, I'm in no way excusing those who abuse and trash the environment; and I'm also quite aware, that in the long run, Mother Nature-caused disasters often brings good. New life eventually springs forth, and life goes on. Perhaps a bit differently, but it DOES go on&#151;and sometimes better than it did before.

I just think we need to keep a bit more perspective on this topic. I sense from some people, that if we're "having fun" in the great outdoors&#151;especially if it's motorized fun&#151;that we're automatically doing the environment harm. I have problem with that type of thinking.

Bob
    Paisan, you and I are obviously talking from the same page...If we can't enjoy the environment, then why is it there in the first place? Well, I suppose that rhetorical question might prompt some responses, but we're saying the same thing.

Scirrocco (sp?), yes!! the 22RE engine, I think it was called. Amazing!! I bought my 4Runner in October of 1984, being the first shipment in LA of the 1985 models with EFI. Great vehicle!! From what i hear, the Forester, while different in character, is as bullet-proof a vehicle.

d
  • dzndzn Member Posts: 11
    I will post this message on both Outback and Forester boards so I can get unbiased input. I am considering a used Outback or Forester. The Outbacks seem easier to come by and therefore seem to be priced a little more aggressively. If anyone has any opinion regarding this decision please let me hear it.
    By the way I am seriously considering a 2001 Outback, 6,000 miles(options: as far as I can tell ....a CD, heated cloth seats(does that mean heated mirrors too) and roof rack) for about $19,500. How does this price sound?
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Sorry for the offensive post, guys. I've made peace with rsholland offline. I had a point to make about the way SUVs are thought of, but I put it so stupidly that the only appropriate response now is to embrace the virtues of lurking and wish you all a Merry Christmas.
    Exactly, if I wanted to see the environment without getting out in it I can watch the Discovery channel or read about it in a book. My SUV takes me into the enviroment w/o impacting it! So does my boat :) Have a fun Christmas all!

-mike
  • ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    There must be at least a couple of people from the bay area, because last time I was up there I saw subarus at every corner. I'm taking a trip there for new years, I was hoping someone could point me to some good dayhikes up there, and some good driving trails too.
    Please don't feel that you are now restricted to "lurking." We welcome your participation here.

Bob
    it's about 7:30 PM, Christmas Eve. I guess I better go load up the sleigh, as I've got a busy night ahead...

Ho, Ho, Ho everyone.

Santa (aka Bob)
    You are loading your sleigh with a nice SVX for me? How nice! :) Merry Christmas!

-mike
    I'm beat... Got rid of Rudolph, Donner, etc. The sled is now pulled by a bunch of (Subie) Blitzens!

It was a quick sleigh ride, for sure! :)

Hope everybody got what they want. If not, contact my head elf, juice. He'll accept any return. ;)

Santa (aka Bob)
    I did not get my SVX keys from Santa aka Bob this year. I'm sure it was just an oversight on his part. I will gladly accept an RSt in Silver Coupe form in replacement for the missed SVX.

Sincerely,
    mike

Haaaaa!
  • tompaine01tompaine01 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, folks -- I am in the tail end of shopping for a 2002 car and have narrowed down my choices to the Forester S premium (S+), Outback Base and CR-V EX but am still struggling to decide which one to choose.

I have been following the posts on this message board and the ones for the other vehicles and thought I would ask for general impressions which you all might have about the three vehicles. I also have some specific questions.

Here are my basis requirements and specific questions:

I need to drive an automatic. (I currently own a '92 5-spd. Acura Integra and love it but need more space and can't get my wife to learn manual transmission). I need enough space for two small children with car seats in the back and a vehicle that will do well in the snow but don't need serious off-road capability. (We live in Colorado).

I am favoring Subarus generally and the Forester specifically because it appears that the Subarus have the best AWD systems among my narrowed choices. I like the Forester because of the sense of better visibility and the moonroof that comes with the premium package (but which the CR-V EX also has). What I don't like about the Forester is its less refined interior and its front seat cupholder location (over the radio and other controls) and the small rear seat room and cargo space compared to the other two.

I have driven both Subarus and seen but not driven the CR-V.

The big issue for me about the CR-V is that, according to my research, the AWD system really only works when the front wheel drive slips and there is no option for a limited slip rear differential. Otherwise, I like the look of the CR-V and it seems to have more room than the Forester and at least comparable room to the Outback.

My basic questions re: the CR-V are these: are these engineering differences in the drive train, etc. in reality, significant enough to favor the Subarus over the CR-V? Do folks see any other real disadvantages of the CR-V over the other two? (I read on one board that rear view visibility was an issue with the CR-V.)

Re: the Forester S+ my main concern is the rear seat space and cargo room. In the experience of others, will there be enough room to handle to small (but growing) kids? Do folks see any other real disadvantages of the Forester S+ in comparison to the Outback or the CR-V?

Re: the Outback Base -- are there any significant advantages, in your views, over the other two? Any significant disadvantages?

Finally, re: the Subarus -- both models seem to have enough standard equipment to suit me in the basic trim lines I am shopping. However, when I view the cars on the lots around here, they include a lot more options than I would like. Any hints on how to get the basic trim line with limited options? Would an internet site like carsdirect.com be the best way to go? (A sales rep for one of the dealers said that I would simply be referred to a dealer who would offer what's on the lot and would have to factory order the car if I wanted only limited options.)

Apologies for the length of this post. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
    You've done an excellent job in terms of researching the vehicles you're considering. I think you're pretty accurate in terms of your assessment of their virtues and vices.

I agree with you as to the Subie's AWD advantage over the CRV. The Subie system is "pro-active," whereas the CRV's system is "re-active." I think in push-comes-to-shove situations, the Subie will have the advantage. Also, the CRV is designed only to work in poor traction, whereas the Subie's system is designed in as a "performance-enhancing" feature, to be available during all driving conditions, not just bad weather.

A few other points to consider:

* The Forester S Premium's moonroof is about twice as large as the moonroof on the CRV EX.

&#149; The Forester S Premium comes with heated seats, heated outside mirrors and an electronic windshield deicer.

&#149; The '02 Forester comes with a 2-speed rear wiper; an intermittent speed and a fixed speed. It also comes with a variable intermittent speed front wiper. I don't think the CRV has either of those two features, but I'm not sure. I think(?) it comes with a 1-speed rear wiper (intermittent or fixed?), and a fixed intermittent front wiper.

&#149; The Forester S Premium also comes with an LSD, the CRV doesn't.

&#149; If you go with the base Outback, I would get the "All Weather Package." This standard with the Forester S Premium, but optional on the base Outback. It consists of the LSD, heated seats, heated mirrors, and the windshield deicer.

Lastly, if you can wait till June, there will be an all-new Forester on the market here. It's sure to be improved in all aspects, including being roomier. It will be introduced at the NY Auto Show in late March.

Bob
    Steve: I think what irks some people, perhaps yourself, is these stupid commercials with the drivers tearing through trails at high speeds, ripping apart everything in their path. Those are simply irresponsible.

paisan: you'd like the Aussie Forester that one of the buys on the Yahoo Forester Club built. He removed both bumpers and installed massive skid plates front and rear, along with a lift, taller springs, and big tires. It look more or less like an angry cartoon character, but with his low range he can keep up with some of the best.

I can't believe PhotoPoint is still down, else I'd share a photo.

Forester, Outback, or CR-V? Well, I think Honda purchased a Forester and reverse-engineered it to create the new CR-V. Look at engine size, power and torque output, and the built-in roof rails and you might agree with me.

Still, Honda targeted the 1998 Forester, while Subaru is about to launch a 2003 model. Their 3/36 warranty is just about ridiculous in this day and age, reliable or not, they should stand behind their product.

How many kids do you have? If you have 1, the Forester is fine. 2-3 would push me into an Outback, though. The 5/60 warranty, the presence of Patti from SoA, and the cult-like feeling from owners seals the deal.

-juice
  • danjaecksdanjaecks Member Posts: 54
    How significant the AWD is depends on you and your driving circumstances. I could see it being very important if you lived where streets are often snowy or icy (e.g. Gunnison), or if you travel over the high passes during the winter.

Same is true wrt interior roominess. How has your current vehicle served you? Compare it's size with the Forester etc. to see if it will be big enough.

But the most important thing is to drive all the vehicles you are interested in as much as possible. That way you can see which one YOU like best, which is the only thing that matters. (Although, I think the dealer is also very important.)

As far as options go, I think only the L model is stocked without any options in this region (Colorado). I found that the S came with 2 different packages of options, so I choose one with the fewest options. I didn't look into the S+, but I would expect it to be similar. I think your salesman is right that the only way to get it plain is to order it, but if you were going to do that you should probably wait to see what the new one is like.
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    To search for any type of Subaru try the SoA website www.subaru.com, and follow the links to View Dealer Inventory and follow the instructions. I was able to get find an 'S' without any options at the dealership near my work. I then bought the armrest and rubber floor mats at www.1stsubaruparts.com which is a Soob dealer in Washington state. You will want the arm rest.

As far as space, my kiddos are soon to be 5 and 2, and on the way home from the dealership I could feel the younger daughter pushing her feet against the back of the driver's seat. I'm around 5'11" for reference. Yes it is tight back there.

I considered the Honda CR-V too, but at the time the dealership I was working with would not sell below MSRP and did not have any for immediate delivery. I have since found out that it might pay to try the "Internet" salesperson at several dealers to get a better price. The Subaru dealership gave me a better price for my trade in, and, oh alright, I'll admit it, I wanted to see what heated seats were like, and the answer is, yes, they are nice.

I have a complaint about the CR-V that goes like this: I insisted that my next car was to have ABS. To get ABS you need to get the EX, which also has a moonroof. Now with that moonroof you loose some headroom, and whatever value the folding tray between the front seats has, it is negated by the lack of height to get to the back seats to get at your kids strapped into the car seats.

-MT
    No moonroof, heated seats? That would mean either a Forester S or a base Outback with the all-weather package.

With the 2 kids, I'd lean towards the Outback, but peek at the next Forester before you take the dive.

-juice
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    Is it me or is it me using Opera browser causing double posting? I swear I did not post twice.

MT
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    MT,

I am not sure what the problem is yet but I've
    seen it on quite a few boards today.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • caperosiercaperosier Member Posts: 58
    Still no response from SOA. The OEM Bridgestones and Geolanders on the Forester L & S are at best marginal in snow, in slush, in cold at freezing rain.
    Does a manufacturer of an AWD owe consumers at least a warning?
    Don't blame the messenger again guys...this is not Dallas, San Diego, Recife, or even Brooklyn. We buy these cars for transportation in all weather found in most of North America.
    Please, no excuses SOA...and no polite marketing( we understand your pain stuff). You are aware that these tires are poor in snow....aren't you?
    And: the Bridgestones wear poorly. Replaced at 26,000 miles ! C'mon.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    ducktapeguy,

I live in the Bay Area and you're right -- lots of Subarus here. In fact, the largest volume dealer in North America is located here.

Which part of the Bay Area are you looking at? We're blessed with lots of great hikes and drives. Here's a brief overview, let me know if you want details.

North Bay -- Try the Marin headlands, just north of the Golden Gate bridge. There lots of highways around Mt. Tam.

East Bay -- Up behind Berkeley, there are a lot of hiking trails in Tilden Park. There's also quite a bit of scenic driving along Wildcat Canyon Road.

Peninsula -- Lots of wildlife perserves off of Skyline Blvd. The drive is great and you'll be rewarded by great hikes among redwoods. For some real twisties, try taking Rt. 9 towards the coast.

Ken
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Sounds like most everyone touched on the differences. The CR-V's "Real-Time 4WD" is just a marketing name for a part-time AWD system that engages automatically. You never get the full benefit of full-time AWD with this system -- just a boost to get unstuck from slippery conditions. With Subaru's full-time AWD, you get the benefits of neutral handling all the time from power going to all four wheels. The CR-V's system not only shuts on and off immediately, it won't work when turning too (ie. cornering).

Ken
    The Bridgestones on the Forester are great all-around tires. C'mon if you are that concerned about your tires you should factor in an extra $500 when buying ANY car and get yourself some upgraded tires. When a manufacturer puts tires on their cars they need to put on a well rounded tire. Would you expect people in florida to want snow tires installed on their forester? No manufacturer puts "outstanding" tires on their cars, and one man's "outstanding" is another man's garbage. I've used the very same tires both the Geolanders and the Bridgestones in snow and they performed adequetely (this is snow in the Adirondack mts of upstate NY) they were not as good as my Pirelli Scorpion ATs in a 30mm wider tread, but I didn't expect them to be and nor should you. So come down off your soap box and back to reality. Unless of course you want a $50-$80K vehicle for $22K which just isn't happening.

-mike
    Folks, as I continue to ponder the change of vehicles, I'm wondering about the Forester's comfort on long trips (2 days plus). Has anyone had experience with that? If so, could you please share your insights?

Also, how is the Forester in high cross winds? I live in the Front Range of the Rockies where we sometimes get winds as high as 90 MPH. Obviously, I don't want to be out in that in anything but a Sherman Tank. But with high winds being a common event here, I'd like to know what people think about the handling ability in a heavy crosswind.

Thanks all yet again for your continued input!!!!
    dhd
This discussion has been closed.