Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Comments: Consumer Reports/JD Power Rankings

18910111214»

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Good idea.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    >maybe in an attempt to make it better?

How about they just list their data on each car with the number of questionnaires received for each model? That would be very clear. Instead, through the years, they have changed their data reporting appearance to make it appear that there are meaningful differences when there aren't. But that perpetuates their thinking and makes people believe CR has something meaningful in differences.

Wouldn't you rather have them report their information with full transparency?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I would prefer that CR be more clear about their methodology, but moreso on how they rank cars through their testing vs. the reliability scores. I have enough info on how they determine the reliability scores to satisfy me. From what I've seen, CR has provided more details about that in recent years. There's a long Q&A on it on their Web site, for example (viewable to non-subscribers too) that I have found helpful. I understand that the "dots" are a convenient way to report the survey results to a broad range of consumers--many of whom would be befuddled by just the raw data, IMO. They aren't perfect, but other organizations e.g. JD Power use a similar approach, e.g. a numerical score 1-5 instead of different colored dots. Also, I don't see other organizations such as JD Power report on the number of survey responses they receive on each vehicle model.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I don't think the 2004 Nissan Quest was ever recommended by CR. It really is not a bad minivan at all. The first year was disatrous though.

Yes, I own one with 72k miles. Nissan extending the bumper to bumper to 5 yr/60k miles was a big help.

I think I like my minivan better now since I paid it off 3 months ago. :shades:
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    If u have access to CR reports,,u can check it out.Check out for the review on the 04 Quest in the used cars section.There it states it is recommended.Later it was listed as a used car to avoid.But initially for the 1st year till data emerged it was recommended .
    Also,I have 04 used Quest which I bought 3 months ago.Knew all it`s problems.But needed a minivan and had got a real heck of a deal on it.A screaming bargain!So went ahead.
    But a new Quest??Absolutely no way...No comparison to Ody/Sienna,,,not even remotely close!!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I'll have to check. I have access to the online version of CR.

I agree i would not buy another Quest. We'll ride this one to 100k miles. We'll definitely need another minivan with 3 kids. Ody/Sienna will be top on the list. Of course, never know what might be on the market in 3 years.
  • choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    Hyundai just became the highest ranked non luxury brand in terms of the IQS jumping from 13th last year to 4th this year.

The hungriest car company in the planet at the moment
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Now if Hyundai would just put a 2.2 ltr clean Diesel engine in a Sonata, that goes 40+ mpg, I get rid of my "seemed like a good idea at the time" car decisions, and get one.

Seems I will have to buy a VW Jetta TDI until Hyundai gets the message that VW is busy selling their TDI's as fast as the trucks can deliver them.

All things considered I would guess a Hyundai TDI would be a home run hit for them.
    JD Powers IQS is the most worthless survey out there.3 months to evaluate a car and create a ratings system.Sheesh! :confuse:
    CR is so reliable and accurate..And Hyundai has made terrific strides.You have got to hand it to them.From the ridiculed cars of the 90`s to the top of the pack challenging Toyota and Honda--well ,that takes some doing.
    CR`s info was so accurate for each vehicle owned--It was like a science.U could pinpoint a problem so correctly.
    Just MHO.
    I know it`s a bit off topic but since the CR vs JD Power thread is inactive and since a lot of folks-salesmen and buyers both- trash CR and say it is inaccurate and its reports are biased or false and that JD power relatively is a better survey,here is a link which shows the absurdity ,crappy nature of the JD Power.
    Brake dust is equivalent to engine failure on their survey and their chief acknowledges this brazenly :confuse: Go Figure !! No wonder brands like LandRover try to trumpet this stupid rating system and claim their vehicles are more reliable. ;) And it also shows how Hyundai is really catching up to Honda/Toyota which as a buyer is a good thing for me. :shades:
    The link:
    link title

Mods,please feel free to move this to a different thread if it`s more relevant there.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It looks like the topic is active again. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    To compare CR to JD is like comparing an eagle to a worm.

CR is valuable, accurate, honest, and unbiased. JD is an advertisement bought, paid, and controlled by the manufacturers. It is completely rigged, and only looks at short term quality.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Different taste for different folks. I think it's a matter of opinion.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    People forget one thing with CR though, when you look at the reliability history charts they have for each car, that is only a rough estimate as to the chances of you getting a problem free vehicle from that year. Just because it has a full red circle of says better than avg or much above avg reliability does not mean that if you buy that car used from that year, that you won't get that 1 or 2 cars out of a 100 that manufacturer produced that was a lemon or full a problems!

All those numbers mean what years you have a better CHANCE of buying a used vehicle that won't have problems! Doesn't mean you won't or that you won't be the unlucky one that gets a used car from that year that is in the shop all the time either!

What really bothers me is, people come on this thread and others on edmunds, trash talking CR about how, oh there ratings and recommendations were completely wrong and I got a bad car when they said it should be good and CR is crappy, wrong, biased, etc etc!

Get a clue people, a recommendation is a guess or estimate of the avg by CR , it is not a certainty for no problems and people forget this and then whine and throw fits when things go wrong. People's expectations are too high! Your always taking a chance when buying a used car, no matter what CR or anyone else says!
    and it has everything to do with overall general poor quality.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    that I've never read a publication as honest as CR. Meaning I never have read so much negativity in any other publication. Other magazines coddle and baby the industry, and CR tells it like it is.

If someone was selling junk, they got a very poor review. I think this is what angers the CR haters. They don't hold back.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

"About two-thirds of the problems in this year’s IQS are what Power calls design problems — anything from poor voice recognition to rough-shifting transmissions and bad fuel economy. Power is reworking its long-term dependability study of three-year-old cars to reflect the same factors.

“These are things the consumer cares about,” Sargent said. Vehicles “breaking down is not the differentiator anymore. Controls, voice recognition, navigation systems and using the phone are the things that either please customers or drive them nuts.”

Mark Phelan: Do good auto quality scores produce sales and profits? (Detroit Free Press)

Durability, Reliability isn't a differentiator until you look at who wins repeat buyers, loyal customers, and who needs bailouts every couple of decades.