Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Transmission Problems

glen26glen26 Member Posts: 3
edited August 2016 in Ford
My 2006 Escape has a pinging noise after the vehicle moves anywhere from ten to one hundred feet down the road. I am at low speed at the time. It could be in the front drive train area. It is not very loud, but you can here it. Sounds like a hammer hitting a rail road track. Any clue?

Comments

• lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I wish I could hear it. What state are you in?
  • glen26glen26 Member Posts: 3
    Kentucky. It sounds like a high pitch pinging noise.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Does the vehicle need to be moving or do you hear it at idle also?
  • glen26glen26 Member Posts: 3
    The vehicle has to be moving.
  • kskjthomaskskjthomas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ford Escape that has a front end shimmy at 60 mph with power applied. The shimmy stops when you stop accelerating. It does not shimmy while braking.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Where can I find the Actual 2009 V6 six speed transmission ratios and final drive ratio for the Escape?
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Give me your VIN and I will tell you. I work for a Ford dealer among other car lines.
    VIN is 1FMCU94G89KA35508

Thanks is advance.
    2.93 Final Drive Ratio

6- Speed Auto
    Thanks for the final drive ratio. Do you have the actual ratios of gears one through six for the auto tranny and reverse?
    Sorry, that information is not given in my database.
  • mustanggt335mustanggt335 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have a vibration when im driving its sounds like its coming from the rear it vibrates when accelerating from 30-35 mph when the engine shifts. Does anyone know what causes this problem?
  • sm_lawrencesm_lawrence Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, new to the forum. I recently bought a 2005 ford escape. 4wd, 82,000 miles. Its has a slite vibration in drive and reverse at idle, like pulled up to a stop. Has anyone else had problems with this and if so, what was the fix? tranny fluid looks clean, at level, and doesn't smell burnt. Any help is greatly appriciated!
  • louise5600louise5600 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I went to Panama City, FL from Dothan, AL, a distance of 82 miles one-way. The SUV was great going down but coming home something strange happened that frightened me. Before I forget I need to tell you that I purchased gas (I needed 1/2 tank) before I left Dothan. About 10 miles out of Panama City the car began to vibrate and had no pickup to speak of. I had a few small hills (very small) to climb and the car went from 55 mph down to 45 mph with the cruise control on. The car barely made it up the small hills. And when I would stop for a stop sign or stop light the car would vibrate something awful. And when I was going down the road the car seemed to make small "jerks" forward. I prayed to God to just get me home safely. Then this morning I was planning on taking it into the shop and when I fired her up she ran just great like nothing ever was wrong. I am afraid that I will get caught out some place with it happening again. I called my brother-in-law this morning and asked him if I could have gotten some "bad" gas. He did not think this was the problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so, what was the problem and how did you solve it? Thanks a million for any help you can offer this old lady.
  • phoneixphyrephoneixphyre Member Posts: 7
    When shifting into gear, my 2008 Ford Escape will jerk into gear. Is this normal? Anyone else have this problem?

I am afraid I am out of warranty so am I SOL if it is problem with the transmission.
  • fordcustsrvcfordcustsrvc Member Posts: 27
    Hi phoneixphyre,

I would like to address the shifting concerns you mentioned with your 2008 Escape. Have you had it looked at by a Ford dealership yet to be diagnosed? If you send me your VIN in a private message, I can document the concern and see if there is anything I can do to help.

Cory
    Ford Customer Service Division
    I took it in once for the problem. They said it was cause of transmission fluid. So I had a flush done. It went away for awhile but came back. Now the car is out of warranty (53k miles)
    how does one do it on here
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We don't have a private message feature. Cory probably meant for you to email him. He would have to set his email address to visible in his user profile in order for people to be able to respond to him directly. When he does that, you can click on his member name in one of his postings and his email address will be visible.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    it is listed as private
  • eco2eco2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Is it possible to put the transmission of a 04 Escape 4x4 to a 05 AWD Escape? The transmission of the 05 Escape is gone...

The answers I've got so far varied, mostly they said "No". Any ideas?
    I've already read about the differences between them I just want to get the opinion of an experienced mechanic or any member that had similar predicament.

I would be grateful for any comments soon as I need to make a decision this week on this issue.

Thanks.
  • amanda79amanda79 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Ford Escape that when you come to a complete stop, the engine shuts off. It sounds and acts exactly like you didnt push in the clutch on a manual when you come to a complete stop. Once the car has died you can turn it back over and starts right up. But once you put it into gear it will shut off again. The power to the car is fine...radio, lights, etc still works, just not the engine. I have been to MANY mechanics who can not figure out what is going on. It only does it when the car is warmed up and driving for awhile. Of course it doesnt happen when I bring it into the shop to be looked at. I think its the torque converter. Any anwers???
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    I want to say that someone here had the same issue a while back. It ended up being the torque converter or a solenoid or both. When an automatic transmission reaches a cruising speed and its on the last gear (4th in our cases) the overdrive kicks in and "locks" the torque converter. Apparently when coming to a stop the torque converter remains locked in 4th gear (or overdrive) instead of unlocking and downshifting making the engine stall as you describe. Definately have the transmission looked at.
  • amanda79amanda79 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you this helps a lot!!
  • garya455garya455 Member Posts: 1
    2005 Escape with 4 cyl, automatic, bought new, pampered, dealer changed trans fluid at 30,000 and 60,000 miles, converter blew at 68,000 miles, out of warranty. Never towed with it, no mountain driving. Transmission shop mechanic said Ford had known problems with this trans back to the late 1990's when it was in the Mercury Mystique. (AKA Mistake). Too small a unit for too heavy a vehicle. Anyone with similar problems? Technical service bulletins or silent recalls??
  • adavis725adavis725 Member Posts: 4
    When driving, my car would create a high-pitched buzzing sound that fluctuated its pitch according to changes in gear. The car would then experience engine stall, particularly when slowing or accelerating after a stop. The theft, check engine, and ABS light would flash. The radio and headlights died. During this time a clicking noise could be heard. Within seconds, everything usually corrected itself. Occasionally the car would need to be restarted. Sometimes after these occurrences, the alarm would sound as soon as the key was removed from the ignition. The car would go months without this occurring and then the problem would return. This went on for two years.

I took this vehicle to two Ford dealerships and a trusted auto repair shop. No one could seem to determine the true cause of the problems. I had the grounds cleaned, spark plugs replaced, spark plug wires replaced, and alternator replaced.

At the urging of a friend, I finally brought my Escape to Midas. They correctly diagnosed and corrected the problem. Apparently, the person owning the Escape before me installed an after-warranty alarm system. The brand was Code Alarm. The alarm system was not compatible with my Escape's computer and was causing severe malfunctions. The alarm has since been removed and my car has not had problems since.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    That happens more than you would think. Aftermarket electronic products often raise hell with standard components. First think I do when I buy a used car, is take out any alarm system that is not factory.
  • adavis725adavis725 Member Posts: 4
    Nevermind. All problems have returned. Back to square one.
  • dizzle1313dizzle1313 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 escape with just over 120,000 miles on it. Driving it home the other day I think the transmission went on it, it shakes at 45 and really doesn't like 4th gear. If i were to leave it as is and trade it in any idea what something like that would be worth, I thought maybe a couple grand???
    Probably about right. The mileage is high, and if the trans is bad, it will have to go to auction.
  • antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    Hi All,

I'm finding that if I have the cruise control set to a given speed, come to a stop and then resume it, the transmission stays in the current gear until I again reach the set speed. Then the transmission starts to run up the gears, and the RPM's start to come down. What this means is that the engine can wind up going all the way up to around 5,000 RPM before the transmission shifts bring the RPM's down. Has anyone else noticed this? I would have thought that the transmission would shift normally as the speed increases to the preset point.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited March 2011
    In those "resume" conditions your CC commands WOT, and lowest possible gear range (highest torque for QUICK acceleration), in those conditions.

In those conditions the FE conscious method is to run the car back up to speed "manually" and then hit resume.
    antoninb,

This is Seni with Ford Customer Service. I am sorry your Escape is not performing to your expectation. We recommend that your vehicle be inspected by a Ford dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms it may be experiencing. If there is no coverage under applicable warranties, recalls, or ESPs, repairs and services would be your responsibility. Your next step is to make an appointment with your servicing dealership to have your vehicle diagnosed. Please contact the Customer Relations Center at 800-392-3673, if further assistance is needed. Thank you.

Seni
    Seni,

Are you really suggesting that Anton's Ford Escape CC is not operating as designed..? Or are you simply "drumming up" income for some Ford dealer.

Every CC I have encountered has acted EXACTLY as Anton described.
    wwest,

I apologize if my reply came off as a sales pitch of some sort. My intention is to make sure that all vehicles are properly diagnosed and that any issues that need to be looked into further, would be.

Seni
    Apology accepted but there was another point. Being in customer service it seems to me you could easily confirm that the description given for CC operation was normal (as I suspect) or abnormal, as the case may be.
  • antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    My vehicle has already been evaluated by a Ford Dealer, and I've been advised that this is expected behaviour. No correction was offered. I still maintain that damage and stress to the engine could result from activating the CC resume, since the transmission will not shift until the target speed is reached. If the resume function should not be used for this, then it should never have been implemented with that capability.
    edited April 2011
    For as long as I can remember, and that's a VERY long time automotively, that's the way CC resume has operated. And by the way, it WILL upshift if it reaches the upper range of the current gear ratio prior to getting to the resume set speed.
  • cathy24cathy24 Member Posts: 1
    Definitely something wrong here and FORD is NOT stepping up to handle this.

My parents' 2008 Ford Escape transmission lost gears 2 and 4 in their automatic. They took it to a dealership who said "your transmission fluids are dirty, need a flush and fill which might fix the problem" to the tune of $280. My parents paid, and shocking but did zip. The fluids were cleaned and checked the week before, ethics here please.

I don't care what the warranty is, but 70,000 miles and the trasmission goes is definitely a manufacturer defect.

We were a family of Ford owners and looking to buy an F350 and Ford Five Hundred, but we'll go foreign before we spend money on another Ford. 12 cars in our family, all were Fords, and they won't stand behind their own transmission?

Good-bye Ford.
    12 great Fords, and you have one with a transmission problem at 70K miles, and you're done with Ford? How long does a manufacturer have to guarantee their product, indefinitely? They're machines, things do go wrong, it's actually a miracle they work at all to start with. There is a reason warranties expire, cars wear out eventually. I admit this is premature, I have an 08 Escape with 85,000 miles, still going strong. But if the car broke tomorrow, I would not be angry with Ford, the car is aging. Nor would I expect Ford to fix it free.

But, if you're going to expect Ford to guarantee their cars for life, buy a
    Toyota. They don't either, but they are quite reliable and long lasting.

I currently have 4 Escapes, and have owned 8 of them from 06 to 10s. Never had a bad one yet, and I run them all to 100,000 miles. I would recommend them to anyone.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    I have owned 2 Escapes and 1 Tribute. All have been wonderful vehicles. All went between 75-120,000 miles no issues. I am on my 4th Escape, a 2010 XLT 2.5 automatic. Runs fine, it has 13,000 miles. It just kills me that someone with 70,000 miles and a failed transmission thinks the manufacturer should pay and are willing to say see ya to Ford after owning 12 other great Ford vehicles. I guess this person has been out of the loop on Toyota and all its issues across its car lines, along with the huge Honda transmission recall in 1999-2003.. I can go on and on here....
    Sorry, but these days(***) a tranny failure in as little as 70,000 miles, or even less than 100,000, does indicate some sort of manufacturing defect or screw-up.

***200,000 miles with no problems on the average.
    Not saying it wasn't defective, assuming maintenance and no abuse. I believe it's a Mazda transmission. Just saying, expecting Ford to pay for failures forever is unreasonable after the warranty period has well expired. Perhaps a Hyundai with the 100,000 mile warranty would be better for them although I had an Elantra that blew a thermostat and overheated badly 500 miles out of warranty. I went back to them and asked for a warranty adjustment, and they also told me to pound sand.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    Did they have the transmission fluid changed every 30,000 miles like the owners manual says? If not then do not blame Ford for a failed transmission.
    I would be very surprised if any modern day owners manual recommends changing ATF at all, certainly not requires.
  • 2010escape2010escape Member Posts: 2
    My wife has a 2010 escape that needed a transmission rebuild at 15,000 miles. Now at 18,000 miles it is acting up again, reving between shifts and slamming into gear or sometimes a few jerks as it shifts. Anyone have these problems and or suggestions.
    If it's F/awd that's your problem. Rear drive clutch fails in a partial locked mode and the entire drive line will be subject to overheating. PTO often fails first though.
  • babbs3babbs3 Member Posts: 50
    Please how can you say that a tranny going out at 70,000 miles isn't bad. If you have had so many good ones, your LUCKY. I have had 21 cars (all makes) and not one had trans. problems. Some of these cars were driven in excess of 100,000 miles. Its great to be loyal to a mfg. but with the technology and very high prices today there should be no excuses for this happening. I just traded in my 2010 Fusion due to a bad tranny. I now have a 2011 Escape and guess what? the trans. is starting to act like the other 6sp. tranny...it can't maike up its mind what gear it wants to go into. Ford will NOT admit they dropped the ball. Our family is very loyal to Ford, but since 2009 that loyalty is wearing thin. Call it what it is, poor workmanship.
    "...it can't make up its mind what gear.."

That complaint is currently common to the ENTIRE industry. In an attempt to most closely match the FE of the CVT transmissions these new 6(10) speed automatic transmission ECU control systems are constantly on the hunt for the most optimal gear ratio. With 10 to choose from that results in a lot of HUNTING.

SOP, state of the art.
    What he said. My 09 Lexus has an 8 speed transmission, and it hunts a lot. It's normal. If that's why you rejected the Fusion, you blew it.

My Mitsubishi Lancer has a CVT (which I hate, BTW), and never hunts, but also never changes a gear. Instead, the engine winds up like a sewing machine and stays wound up high until you reach downhill, or cruising speed. Very unsatisfying, but apparently, efficient.

Back to the issue, GM, Ford and some Japanese manufacturers use the same transmission made by Aisin now. Joint venture between them. I'm not sure the Tribute/Escape has one of these, but Ford warranties the power train for 5/70 do they not? The new Escape has the same transmission as the Fusion, that I'm sure of. And it sounds like you just aren't used to the way it runs to me.