Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series 4x4 Problems

13»

Comments

• harleys1harleys1 Member Posts: 1
    im haveing the same problem was wondering what u might have found out
  • lorchlorch Member Posts: 1
    Hi my husband has a99 F150 4x4 i think it is a piece of crap got it used in 2001 with 16,000 kms on it, So pretty much new when we got it, took it back to the dealer several times in the first 2 weeks cause brake light kept coming on. finally they so called fixed that,But we have replaced the brakes 3 times since and have had to remove the abs fuse so the light just stays on now, It seems to have no umph drags all the the time, the switch on the end of the gear shift for over drive has fallen off, could it actually be in over drive all the time ? is this why it is draggy or is it just a powerless truck? also there is a fuel smell in the cab when driving ,coming from under the hood but can,t see any leaks, any ideas ?
  • bc0135bc0135 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Ford F-250 4x4 w/V-10 and I can not get the front hubs to engage. When I select 4wd High or Low range everything engages normal but my front hubs will not lock in. I tried manually locking the hubs in, but they still will not lock. I had my wife drive the truck forward and reverse while I verified the front transfer case drive shaft was turning and everything worked normal. Since both hubs will not lock in I suspect it could be an electrical issue. This is my first ford and I don't know much about their 4x4 system. Can anyone explain the sequence of ford's 4x4 operation? Does the 4x4 engage electrically or vaccum? The only maintenance I have performed that may have affected the front hubs was when I replaced the passenger's side front hub assembly because the wheel bearings were bad, and I couldn't just replace the bearings. I had to replace the hub. Everything went back together fine, and I couldn't see replacing the passenger's front hub causing both hubs not to engage. It's deer season and I need my 4x4. Can anyone please help????
  • misschristiemisschristie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Ford F-250 6.0 Diesel truck. I have been having issues with the auto 4x4 hubs for 3 years. I have taken it to ford 6 times now and they have attempted to fix it several times, they replaced the switch behind fuse panel, the transfer case motor part, checked lines for a vacuum leak and they cant find a problem. Since it only happens intermittently its tough to diagnose.
    It works fine when I get out and lock the hubs. I also had my hubs replaced recently just in case. No difference. I can put it in auto 4x4 high it works fine for a while then at some point while driving it disengages and I am unaware it has happened. The light stays on and the truck otherwise is fine but I have almost killed myself and someone else when it came out on the freeway in a storm and I could not maneuver the truck to avoid a car spun out. I drove it into the median instead of hitting the little car and scared me to death and them too. It continues to come out at random. Then this last time I got it back from Ford it was fine but then it was so cold and icy that it would not go in at all (unless I locked manually) and there was ice build up all over the under side of truck. It made a noise from the drivers side of the truck that sounds like when you take a card and stick it in your kids bike wheel, but it was not with each rotation. I took it to Ford they were able to hear it, but then it got warm out and it stopped. It has something to do with really cold temperatures I think. I can only think of the compressor? Please help I cant afford another close call like that!
  • dieselman27dieselman27 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problems with my 2002 F-250. Have you fixed the problem? If so what was it?
  • dieselman27dieselman27 Member Posts: 2
    Did you fix the problem? I am having the same thing on my 2002 F250 7.3.
  • richard339richard339 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. 2 years ago I ttok it to the Ford dealerand they found the vacum hose to the front differitial had rotted. When ever I would speed up it would loose vacum causing the front diff lockers try to engauge. They fixed the problem by splicing the tube and temperarly fixing the problem. Now I'm having the same problem 2 years later and I haven't used the 4 wheel drive that much. I took it back to the dealer and he showed me the tubing that you have to check for a hole. It costs me $212.00 the first time after I had all new bearings put in the rear end that costs about $350.00 and checked the front differential and had the oil changed that costs about $185.00. I'm not happy with the system. It's to easily liable to fail. If I could have a older truck with the same features and a manual 4 wheel drive shift I would trade it for that.Good luck on your problem.
  • rmoto1972rmoto1972 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 F150 (5.4L). The 4x4 will not engage. The stick will only move side to side. Please let me know what I'm looking at.
  • rollamanrollaman Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 2008 f150 lariat ,everything about it LOOKS mint. after about 4 days i have been using it in town on snowy ,icey roads in 4x4hi. when i stop ,shift into reverse ,and back up at low speed i hear/feel rattling in front end .shift back to drive and go forward at low speed same thing.once my speed increases sound goes away and everything great at normal driving speed.im not a mechanic,thats why im here for advice.is this normal with the ford 4x4.something wrong with hubs???
  • hotrod440hotrod440 Member Posts: 1
    i just purchased a 2008 f150 SuperCrew and have expeienced the exact same problem when in low idle. This truck drove great for 4 days (oddly enough) then began to make, and you could feel, a rattle/vibration coming from the front end. It happens to make this noise when in reverse or in drive and at a very low speed. When i accelerate the rattling is gone and you don't feel it again until it's in low idle. Have you figured out what happened to be wrong with your truck? Your post sounds identical to what I've been experiencing. Any help would be appreciated!!!