Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Outback Brake Questions

bhirish1960bhirish1960 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Subaru
I have a Subaru Outback 2001 Wagon with the 2.5 liter boxer engine. It has 163,900 miles on it and runs well, that is, when the check engine light isn't on. The coil pack has been replaced twice, amongst other repairs. Safety-wise, it is a great car, but there are too many little things that go wrong that add up. 1) Is there a "recycle" feature in the ECU of this model that will shut off the light if the flaw has been repaired, or does the code stay in the ECU for a period of time and periodically repeats until the ECU updates? 2)Is that not a feature of the ECU in this car? 3)Also, are front rotors and pinion bushings common replacement items in these cars? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    From what I have read, and what I personally have experienced, keeping any vehicle beyond 125,000 miles, is just what you said: "but there are too many little things that go wrong that add up." :sick:

Bushings and rotors, at your mileage are indeed to the point of needing replacement, as well as the bearings.

I think its time for you to be merciful, and say a loving goodbye to your trusted old friend..... :cry:
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    I don't know if it's time to say goodbye to the car or not; that depends on what condition it is in overall. But I will agree that at 160k+ mileage, wear is wear regardless of make or model.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If my original rotors, on any car, last 163,900 miles, I will promptly do to church and pray to give thanks. That is incredible longevity.

They're a wear item. Some cars would be on their 3rd set by then.

Coil packs are cheap. $80 from an on-line Subaru wholesaler. Takes about 5 minute to change it, too.

Try this - get a Chase Subaru credit card, and start accumulating Subaru Bucks. 3% back, basically.

-juice
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Hmm. I guess I was under the impression that unless they warp, rotors should last quite a while. Mine are still original at 220K miles and I thought nothing of it. Granted, the first set of rear pads were replaced at 193K, so I should hope the rotors out-wear the pads!

I will say I have spent quite a bit of time and money on this car to maintain it, but the longer I have it the more I doubt I would have spent any less on a modern car of any other make. I keep a practical mindset toward it and look at how much utility or return I get for every dollar/hour invested. So far, I think I have done well enough. Approximately $2,500/year TCO so far, and that amount tends to go down as the purchase price continues to be diluted by time (barring any more catastrophic problems!).

As for the ECU reset, self-diagnosis happens either on real-time or under a pre-determined set of driving conditions. Once the problem is fixed the code will not re-log, but unless it is reset upon fix, it takes something like 40 (diagnosis) cycles to fully clear. If you do not have a OBD-II scanner with which to reset, pull the battery cables for 10-30 minutes and it will reset the whole she-bang.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I hear you, I paid $19k for my Forester and 9 years later it has served me extremely well. I actually feel bad trading it in because there is nothing wrong with it. I wish my daughter was 16 now, it would go to her.

-juice
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Well, winterize it, put it up on blocks, and save it for her. :P
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm going to go out on a limb and call BS on this one. I highly doubt you could drive 193k on original rear pads and 200k on original rotors!

-mike
    Of course you'd say that, working in NYC. ;)

Some people live in the 'burbs and just don't have to brake that often at all.

-juice
    Outside the city, 193k is ridiculous!

-mike
    You can if you would like, but I am the one who replaced them. I will let you know if I ever end up replacing the rotors. ;)

I am not sure why it is unbelievable. After all, the original fronts were replaced at 125K and the rears should not wear as quickly as the fronts. I replaced the fronts again just about a month ago, at 218K, and they had a little over 50% left on them. I guess I was just getting a lot of rocks, but one was squealing for a week and I got to the point I thought it must be a squealer going off. :blush:

I am also not much of a braker, I prefer to look ahead, use the gears, etc. I would guess that I touch the brakes less than half as often as most other drivers. An artifact of learning to drive with old pickups, I suppose. I still have all the original shoes on my 1969 Chevy C20 and I just turned 70K on it this summer. I have had to replace the brake cylinders and the master, though.

I'm sure it helps not living in urbania.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    One of the folks who uses engine braking. Interesting to note, an interesting factoid they taught me in racing school about engine braking. They explained that engine braking will give you something like 1/1000th of the braking power that brakes do and the cost to replace clutch/engine/drivetrain components are about 100x or more the cost of replacing pads....

:)

I still find it hard to believe but then again if you put 70k miles on your 1969 Chevy pickup, that explains a lot. 70k is about 3-4 years in my cars and I have 2 cars for road use at any given time. :)

-mike
    Helped my sister change her brake pads yesterday. On a 2003 Forester.

So she's the opposite, I guess the rides the brakes all day long. My pads lasted 4 years longer (similar mileage pace).

-juice
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    My 1992 Sentra, which I bought new, went 165K on the rear drum brakes, at which time the original shoes were about 50% worn. I changed them just for good measure. Today, at 289K, my brother-in-law, who now owns the car, is still running the original drums. It's now on the third set of rear shoes, although the front pads have been changed about every 40K or so.

That car was amazing. 100K on the OEM Michelins, 197K on the original clutch, which was still serviceable when changed, and about 168K on the original muffler (the rest of the exhaust was changed at around 210K). Lots of highway driving.

Len
    Mike, out of curiosity, what is the average life span for a set of pads on one of your vehicles? I have acquired the impression that you are an excellent driver, but I also imagine much of your daily driving is spent in city or stop/go situations so yours should be an accurate guage as to how long pads "should" last in city driving. As Len mentioned, I would expect it to be quite a bit more often than highway or relatively low traffic "city" driving.

As for engine braking, I always keep my vehicle in the most appropriate gear for the speed so that if need be, I can quickly react to an emergency situation should it arise. If I have to slow quickly, it is the brakes all the way and I just try to keep pace with the shifter. But, if I see that I should slow, I will do that gradually rather than racing up on a slow down situation (intersection, traffic congestion, etc) and then braking. I also do not use my brakes during highway driving except in emergencies. I see so many drivers applying their brakes coming into every curve and it just seems so pointless to me. With the truck, I haul heavy loads and pull obscenely heavy trailers on a regular basis. If I were to rely on my brakes all the time, they would be fried come the first steep grade. If I hit an 8% grade at 35-40, I can keep the speed reasonable with only periodic applications of the brakes. Were I to hit it at 60-65, I would fade those buggers to oblivion and be going 100+ come the bottom..... not that it stops others from doing so. Every day I see folks at the top of "the hill" (short, steep hill near my house) riding their brakes all the way to the bottom. Again, pointless and a lack of foresight in my opinion. I guess that unless I have premature failure of a clutch, transmission, or other driveline component then I have no basis for deterimining that I am causing undue stress on the system. My truck's clutch is still original and my car's tranmission is (seems to be?) doing fine.

My van, though... ugh. That darned thing idles at about 30 mph (if it is in drive... 1st limits it to about 20) and I cannot seem to get it adjusted so that it idles properly. It takes quite a bit of force to get it stopped so I often throw it in neutral just to take the added resistance off. I put new shoes on it back in 1993 when I rebuilt the mechanical system on it. It needed new front pads already after 35-40K miles, I think I replaced them in 2004. But then, I feel like I am always having to ride the brakes on it as compared to my Chevy or Subaru. Considering I might drive it a couple hundred miles a year, working out the bugs has been extremely low priority.
    I upgraded the pads on the BG5 in 2000. Re-did the brakes completely (pads and discs) in 2004, figure about 80k on the discs and 70k on the pads. That included 2 HPDE's though, so that certainly accelerated the wear.

The FXT was aaaalmost ready for pads at 40k. I drove it hard though. It has fantastic brakes that begged the driver to go deep in any given corner. I miss them more than the power.

The little GF8 will be interesting. I know she needs new shoes (!) soon. Front brakes are likely going away completely in the Spring, in favor of WRX or GC8 bits. These one pot dinky jobs are not cutting it.
    Before you get any brakes, make sure to let me know, I may have some very good ideas etc. ;)

-mike
    Rear drums do almost no braking effect, so yeah 145k miles on original drums is viable. As for my driving, generally on my tow vehicles I replace pads every 20-30k miles which includes mostly city/stop and go driving, but also includes a lot of highway. On my cars 20-30k also. Of course my driving is generally far more aggressive than normal folks. I've been known to go through a set of rotors in one HPDE weekend.

As for towing though your vehicle brakes should not be effected as you should have adequet trailer brakes on anything over about 1000lbs sometimes 1500lbs on the trailer.

-mike
    As for towing though your vehicle brakes should not be effected as you should have adequet trailer brakes on anything over about 1000lbs sometimes 1500lbs on the trailer.

Oh, right.... trailer brakes. I am sure they would help, but that means I would have to install an electric brake controller first. :D
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    I got 143K out of my rear drum brakes on my 99 Outback Sport and they didn't change them when they sold it used...
    oh yea? I'm thinking WRX since they clear 16" rims. But the project grocery getter OBS thread on Nabisco is running monster Legacy GT front brakes with spectacular results. Not an option, as I believe 17" is required for those.
    I have a set of 4-pots that fit under wrx rims in the shop. they are nice and blingy gold too.

You can also go with WRX 4-pots but they require pre-02 RS rims to clear.

Either way shoot me an e-mail before you get anything as I usually have brakes around the shop that I can hook yah up with.

-mike
    Will do, Mike. I'm running 16x7 SSR Comps with summer tires, and the 15" steelies in winter. My plan is to upgrade front brakes and

a) find a set of cheap 16" takeoffs for winter (WRX, etc.)

or

b) run the SSRs all year with UHP A/S tires

maybe I can swing a hall pass at some point, come on up and we can do the install up there, have a couple brews, finally meet (well, for the 2nd time anyways!)
    No problem let me know. I also saw you mention 2.5RS seats. I have a set I just took out of the legacy sitting around :)

-mike
    OH REALLY? good shape? ok, we're going to have to hook up at some point. Oh, and I guess we can consider this topic well and truly hijacked LOL :shades:
    RS seats that had 20k miles when I got em, put another 5k on em in the leg and now they are in the shop. :)

Continuing the hijack.

-mike
    If you come down to Baltimore lemme know and I'll come up and meet you guys, even if only to have a meal together.

-juice
    If I can find some brakes for him, I may come down and help him install them and the seats :)

-mike
    w00t! Mini meet at my place!
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Aging response, but FWIW:

1) After 40 drive cycles, most codes will clear if the fault never occurs again. Light goes off, 'snapshot' of sensor status when error occured clears out, and readiness status required for some state inspections will be restored. If the problem is still there, the error log will remain, and you cannot pass an emissions inspection.

2) Front brakes were upgraded early in the '02 model year. I have a very early '02 that was built with '01 brake hardware and had persistent problems with the OEM stuff. I'm not surprised that you had issues. Last Spring I put on aftermarket rotors and pads, and many of my complaints went away.

Steve
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    I decided today to check out a few of the 'other' threads that I don't read regularly ... the title of this thread is "2001 Outback Common Problems" but so far all I see is a discussion about brake pads and rotors ....

while 'interesting', it's just another example of a thread that should have just been posted in an existing discussion rather than separately ...

Brenda
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, let's call it what it has turned into and also move it to the Outback board. ;)
  • meg4meg4 Member Posts: 5
    Looking for any help with my 2005 Outback and although I posted a message on 8/7 MEG4, no one has replied. This is my first using a forum and I am a fish out of water.

Would you be able to look at message #34, it concerns brakes and it's wearing me out.

Appreciate any help.
    Maggie
    your post is #33.

-mike
  • meg4meg4 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Mike. Can you offer any help/suggestions. The grinding is driving me nuts and I don't believe it's movement of the brake pads. Two cop friends (one was mechanic for Ford) say it's unacceptable response from the service manager, but they don't own Subaru's.

Meg
    I don't see any post in this particular thread on that date, can you give us all the symptoms?

Auto or manual transmission?

Mileage?

Does it happen when it rains, in dry, or both?

Does it happen before the brakes warm up, or all the time?

In a straight line, in turns, or both?

The more info you can provide the more likely someone here can help. We'd be happy to try.
    I think her posts are in a different thread in the 05 Legacy/Outback Thread. I replied over there.

-mike
  • cvjcvj Member Posts: 1
    I have a "pre-owned" 2000 Outback 3.0 Bean edition with 22,000 miles on it.

When I step hard on the brakes (panic-stop) I get a very loud noise or racket from the front of the car. Otherwise the brakes function normally.

The car has the original tires and I noticed that there is very little clearing between the front tires and the fender panels.

Might the noise becaused by the car "tipping down" enough to scrape the tires against the panels when doing a panic stop??? :mad:
    Sounds like the ABS activating.

If the tires are worn, and at 22k I would think they may be, the ABS may be activating more often.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • greenligreenli Member Posts: 2
    Bought 2008 Outback (new) and just after few months windshield would get covered by some kind of a film that was almost impossible to remove. Went to Subaru and after changing wipers a number of times they decided to change a windshield. After changing a windshield it came back after two weeks and this time they sad it was the environment. Because we just got over a snow storm they said that my car is dirty and this is why I get this film@! And this is after trying to fix the problem during almost two years! It almost impossible to drive this car at night when it's raining. Totally blind. Subaru rep in NJ headquarters said that it's all my fault and they will not do anything about. So, I am basically playing with my life here.
    Now, the car developed homing noise when I brake (3 out of 5 times) and it sounds like a airplane when I brake on an empty street at night (you can hear it all around. I had people asking me '..what that F*** is wrong with this car and if I am driving with no brakes). And to top it all this car, sometimes, when you trying to increase the speed basically stops, you can hear the engine spinning, sometimes, engine making a noise like it's a 400Hs engine and the car is not moving.
    I think this is my last Subaru ever. Or by the way,how about a driver site space. Did you notice that the right side (right next to your right leg (right and left leg) but it feels more for a driver since all of the pedals) is taking more space then a regular car. This is because of the engine type, but what it will do at some point, it will realign your body and you might at some point develop back pain issues due to design ergonomics.
    Odd bunch of issues there. I would have to hear that braking noise and revving issue to have any idea of what is really happening. As for the windshield filming, are you sure this is on the outside and not the inside? Interior filming is pretty common on new cars and tends to be from various volatile compounds off-gassing from the car's piping onto the windshield. It can be removed, but not from the outside.....
  • greenligreenli Member Posts: 2
    yes, it's all on the outside the sub tech got some kind of fluid from Japan (that we all can not buy from Sub) and removed the film from the windshield. It's still there and they agreed with me (one of the guys that works there he admits to the film getting build almost immediately after its removal (he took a ride with me)) , but blaming me for it. Sub is enjoying raise in sales since people are moving from SUVs and doesn't really care about few people that have issues.

About the brake issues, they checked and checked and checked and nothing. So, I decided to take a brake cleaning solution and sprayed in....and....after power washing the rims....it's gone! I spent hours in the shop and they took tires off...nothing. They could just clean it?
  • rebel71rebel71 Member Posts: 87
    If the film is specifically on the outside and you've tried to clean it as well as Subaru service, that's a tough call. I assume you've cleaned the inside of your windshield. I say this because I have a terrible film that started from day one and the car is now almost 3 years old (2008 Legacy). At night, it's difficult to see,especially since it fogs up so quickly. It's frustrating, but trading the car in is not option for me. I just try to keep the windows clean. Are there other Subaru dealers near you to take for a second opinion? Is it possible to take it to a non subaru garage to also have a second opinion. You didn't mention what model you had Turbo and transmission. Is the car making the sound regarding brakes when you take it to the dealer, so a tech can test drive w/ you? Also the same for the spinning engine issue, too. The tech has to hear the problem or else they can't diagnose. The Subaru website under technical info mentions shift shock, hesitation, and high idle issues when clutch is disengaged (manual). It might be work a look. My experience has been with Subaru is that unless they hear the problem it doesn't get fixed. Unless you are willing to spend lots of money to replace parts that may or may not fix the problem.It's tough to say about the brakes, you didn't describe the sound. Hope you get a fix soon.
This discussion has been closed.