Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• troll157troll157 Member Posts: 17
    Seems that I have. Changed-out the O2 sensor & TPS. No more shifting problems. I had done 02 for smog and noticed, since my last post, that there were two "spots" where throttle-plate angle gave trouble.....
    At 35 mph, (give or take), and 65 mph, (give or take). The two most common speeds I travel.
    Somewhat expensive, however, it's a good feeling knowing my Jeep's happy again.
    I'm 600 miles from my home computer so I haven't access to other posts I had saved, somewhere I found INVALUABLE information on the Renix system, (1989?). Keep searching posts and links. Best I can do for ya at this time. Regards.
    Water/coolant in trans. is NEVER a good, (or tolerable), thing. Spools and whatever else move in very close tolerances, no room for rust/corrosion.

Yes you should!
    5.7, what's that? 327 ci or so? AND Hemi design. NICE!
    Find yourself a trans-axle that will bolt up to it, drop it into the bed of a "Toyota truck" and enjoy your "Toyota truck", (Organ-Pipes and all).
    It's like saying, "I should've married Mary or Shelly instead of Jody", (perhaps I should've), no matter. Just not ready for a Jeep, huh?
    Sorry.
    My Aunt bought a new Pontiac Gran Am years ago and of 422 days, It spent 96 of them in the shop. She traded it in w/24k on the clock. What I'm trying to say is, @#$% happens.
  • eric091572eric091572 Member Posts: 13
    SH*T may happen but less often in a Toyota! It's different than marriage, one can change cars easier and quicker and one can refrain from purchasing that brand in the future and tell others to avoid the brand too. U.S. cars aren't losing market share for no good reason--it's the product. Is GM or Ford even going to be around in 5 years? I own a 5.7L JGC by the way and am disappointed with it as well.
    Sad but true.....
    Only "relationship" I have is with my Jeep now 'cause of my smart-assed attitude.
    1987 Celica GT, 380, almost 400k.
    '73 Datsun p/u finally choked w/418k.
    Jeep's starting to give trouble w/over 200k, (I DO tend to stress her just a LITTLE-bit though)....400k?, not likely, I must admit.
    Well....................
    How 'bout a big-block Olds and trans. from an old Toronado behind the cab?
    Chrysler IS pretty-much in better hands, I guess.
    Regards.
  • rolljrollj Member Posts: 13
    GM and Ford not being around in 5 years?!?!. Guess who owns 80% of the European car companies!!! The corvette Z06 will price for price blow the socks off any car out there (European and Japanese).The japanese aren't innovators, what revolutionary ideas have they every come up with? Its one thing to pioneer and another to simply copy!!
  • eric091572eric091572 Member Posts: 13
    Toyota's new 5.7L is a Hemi-killer at 381 HP and better gas mileage without MDS.
  • rolljrollj Member Posts: 13
    .........camshaft killer!!!!
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    I like that. And to add on to that, it took Toyota 20 years to produce a decent truck V8.

They shouldn't celebrate to much though, with the new HEMI in the pipeline for the '08 Ram, it will one up the Toyota in power and efficiency.

Judging from the problems I've had with my previous Toyota products, it's not all cake and ice cream there either.
  • tebertsteberts Member Posts: 18
    My transmission has not been engaging properly when cold. Yesterday the Trans OverTemp warning came on while on the highway so I put it in neutral and coasted for a while and it went off.
    Anyone have any idea what might be going on here?
  • terninkternink Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ovverland. I just changed the transmission fluid, dropped the pan changed both filters refilled and now the transmission is acting erractic. It seems slips/shifts erratically 4 and it gave me a check engine light that was incorrect ratio in second gear.

Things I did.

ATF +4 (Although it was synthetic)

Checked level, thought it was high so I removed some and it still has the same condition

I'm kind of lost as to what to do next, I hate to go to a repair shop with my tail between my legs... Any ideas??

Thanks
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    sounds that you put the o ring on the filter instead of the valve body like you should put a little grease on the o ring to hold in place install pump filter
  • kkelley2007kkelley2007 Member Posts: 9
    I agree with you Eric. I also have an '05 5.7L JGC and I am very disappointed with it. I just got my "starter issue" (just one of a multitude of problems) resolved and now my transmission is acting up. I've had it in the shop a total of 16 times in 2 and a half years and now it's going back again. I'm beginning to think I need to trade mine in on a Toyota as well.

:lemon:
  • ssobehtamissobehtami Member Posts: 5
    hey people.. i purchased a 94 JGC limited... 2 weeks later it was limited to how far i could push.. i need a trany... anyone in upstate NY(albany area) know of anyone respectable for that kind of job... or have a damaged Jeep i could pull a trans off ? in bad need here... the guy that sold it to me realy @#%% me w that one..

kind regards to all
  • ssobehtamissobehtami Member Posts: 5
    hey guys. i got a 94 Grand ch. when i get to around 65 70 the tach reads shy of 3 rpm.. am not suer but it sounds like to hing to me.. it also sounds hipg Gearded kinda like there is no OD. there is a button labeled od onn\off when i press it it seems to make no change... is this right... kindly
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you're seeing a few older messages that appear to be out of order, don't be alarmed! We're just merging some discussions to avoid duplicate topics.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • strangebrewstrangebrew Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to your forum & would like to say "greetings all"& hope you have the time & patience for a newbie.
    I just purchased a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee & due to time restraints didn't do my homework before the purchase.
    After reading all I can now I have a few questions.It seems in previous years the tranny has been a huge problem,also the brakes.Am wondering if these issues have been cleared up??It has the "Quadra Trac 1"system on it which is very confusing to me(& a bit troubling that it doesn't have "4 Low").I live in Wyoming so a good 4-wheel drive system is very important to say the least.
    Any answers & info. you can give me would be much appreciated....
    thanx
    strangebrew
  • bjneighborsbjneighbors Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 JGCL (4.0 6 cyl; 100K miles). Replaced the TCM last year when the O/D light would stay on and O/D did not work. Has worked fine for one year. Now O/D light/button on dash will intermittently go on and the transmission will start in drive (3rd gear?) unless I manually drop it to 1st gear. Seems to always happen when car is cold or not been running for overnight. Also stays in 3rd (high rpm) on the freeway and doesn't go into the 4th gear. After it warms up, it seems to operate normally intermittently.

I have replaced the thermostat, checked the fluid levels. Could it be a bad TCM or is there something I am missing and should check; I've read about "temp sensing unit" and a "solenoid" on the trans. Could they be the culprit? Don't know where they are. Also, will the "On-Board Diagnostics systems" give me an indication of where I should be looking for a solution?? Any help is appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out looking for problem. And dealer wants to rebuild tranny for $3K.
  • berniekkberniekk Member Posts: 1
    I all so have 95 JGCL with 98,000 miles, and have the same problem.
    I have takeing it to AMCO and no help, and takeing to the Jeep dealer and left it for two days, and they can't find no problem.
    I am just about ready to get a Toyta and end this problem.
  • wodinwodin Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 4.7 ltr with about 98000 miles, has been a great vehicle. This morning I warmed it up about 15 minutes, hopped in, backed out of the drive way, and shifted into drive while drifting back slightly. It jerked pretty hard as it shifted. But when I took off, it was in a higher gear, like 2nd or 3rd, (3rd I think) and the check engine light came on. It did start shifting OK after that, but I took it to autozone to get the code read. the code is P1784, transmission mechanical failure, 1st and second, or 1st and reverse - there's 2 sections on there. Thats pretty much all they could tell me.

I may have noticed it shifting funny yesterday when I first started out also but then it straightened out. So it seems that I'm having problems when the tranny is cold, but when it warms up it is OK. I did service it about 15000 miles ago. I haven't been able to find a more detailed explanation of the code, but it didn't come back on the way home from autozone. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
    Not a single reply. Why is that?
    number on i dont live on my computer

now as for the trans you probly should change the trans oil
    that trans is a tough trans the prob could be the shift solonides inside the trans could be sticking when cold all shifts are controled by these solonides
    I misunderstood how this forum worked. I saw posts above mine with 200 and 300 replies, and I thought they were brand new threads like mine. So I didn't understand why people were responding to those threads and bypassing mine, but now I see that those threads were started back in Aug and Sept.

So thanx for responding tuggajb and I didn't mean anything personal. So by trans oil I assume you mean the transmission fluid?
    right also do the pickup screens when you change the oil
  • jeepcrazy1jeepcrazy1 Member Posts: 1
    For the past couple of weeks my transmission has been acting strange in my JCG. When I make a left turn, and it only seems to happen on left turns, my tachometer will free rev for a second usually up to 2500 - 3000 rpms and then the transmission engages properly. Less than a year ago I had the transmission fluid changed and I do not abuse the vehicle. With 65000 miles, I am confused as to what may be happening. Any help would be appreciated.
    sounds as if you are low on trans oil need to chech it like in book
  • mjohn2020mjohn2020 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited V-8. How do you know if you have the 545RFE transmission with 5-speed automatic?
    numbers stamped on left side just ubove oil pan also 45rfe has lable by numbers
  • pjsports7jpjsports7j Member Posts: 1
    my '94 grand Cherokee will sometimes shift in and out of overdrive once I reach crusing speed. This seems to happen between 55 & 65 with the most frequency. Any ideas?

I have already tried adjusting the cable.
  • stewkerrstewkerr Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone help with a transmission problem with my 02 Grand Cherokee. Basically I can't get it out of Park and the shift lever button seems jammed. I recall on older models you had to knock the actual top of the handle part off and you could use a biro or something to make the switch work but before I take a hammer to this one can someone tell me what I should be doing. Thanks. Stewart
    have to remove trim around shiftre unit probley have a cable unhooked
    Thanks for that but does that explain why the button on the gearstick is jammed? I mean really does it, I'm not being sarcastic, could a cable dropped off cause the button to jam?
    Hi. Can anyone tell me what P0703 torque converter/brake switch B circuit malfunction actually means. THanks. Stewart
    yes there is cable that hooks to brake that when you push brake down unlocks button
    Excellent I'll give it a go. Cheers.
  • ulyssulyss Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 JGC it makes a sound like if something hits you from behind, this happens only when I stop the vehicle for about a minute. Also the check engine light is on but the suv runs perfectly
    any ideas?
    auto zone or checker will read your codes and tell you what they mean for your check engine light

sounds as if the top mount on the diff in the rear is worn get under the jeep at the rear and see if anything looks loose
  • gammy3gammy3 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem today with my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. At the stop sign, I tried to make a right turn, but the car wouldn't go. The tires seemed to make noises, but the car stalled and wouldn't move. When it finally did, I lost control of steering, and the car swerved left and right, finally hitting into the pole. The dealership had said they couldn't find a problem when I sent it for service months ago. Have you heard of any new developments? thanks.
  • coachtroxcoachtrox Member Posts: 2
    '96 5.2 V8- since changing water pump 5 months ago (disconnected batt=reset), it has been somewhat reluctant to shift into overdrive and will not do so until 60-65 mph, almost 3000rpm. Will sometimes go a minute rapping at almost 3000rpm/60-65 before shifting. Changed tps, no difference. Any ideas? Do I need to fix this?
  • zeke10zeke10 Member Posts: 1
    I need a TV cable for a 93 1/2, 2wd JGC, with a 42re. No luck at the dealer or Autozone.
  • jeepfreak1jeepfreak1 Member Posts: 1
    hello i hope u guys can help me i have 89 jeep cherokee it takes a while to star in the morning or any time we did a full tune up beside change the fuel regulated my second problem it stared today is the car is running i put on drive and it takes a few seconds to get up and go so i change the filter and fluid and it still there the other problem is that if i go to put the car in first gear is been doing this for a while it wont go in to first thank you for all your help william
  • jeepsickjeepsick Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I am wondering if there are others who are having problems with their Jeeps 05-07? I have had my jeep for about a year and a half. The car has a shuttering or vibration when going up hill. It also slams into gear. We have had the torque converter replaced twice on recommendation from the dealership. The have also checked for debris in the transmission and done transmission flushes. The problem has been the same from 27,000 miles until now with 48,000 miles. Now they want to open the transmission to see what is going on. Anyone out there with similar issues?
  • hatcheckhatcheck Member Posts: 7
    ....I have a 2005 Hemi....No problems yet....39,000 miles. What tranny do you have? :blush:
  • jeepsickjeepsick Member Posts: 7
    3.7 Liter V6 automatic with Quadra trac w/ manual option
  • goodmech1341goodmech1341 Member Posts: 1
    replace the idle air conrol and throttle position sensor
  • 5213252132 Member Posts: 62
    We have a 2001 JGC 4.0L with a 45RFE transmission. We went to AAMCO to get a pan drop done. After that the fluid still kinda smelled burnt and was dark in color. While jiffy-lube was doing an oil change on it, they said they will give us a discount on the transmission fluid flush. So we did it. Then the problems started, we heard that ATF+4 was the only fluid that you can put in it, but they said that all transmission fluid was the same. I don't know what they put in there, but there are BUBBLES in the fluid. It's not over filed and I don't think it's contaminated with coolant (since it's not milky) or water. Also I noticed that this fluid is thinner than the old one. Can someone help this is becoming a headache :sick:.
    jiff lube is wrong you want to get the trans fluid changed soonest as the trans oil will glase the clutches
    hope the didnt ruain the trans
  • 5213252132 Member Posts: 62
    You were right! I did the fluid flush as well as many other "might as well do it" stuff. The bubbles are gone and the transmission shifts smooth. Here is a note to all Grand Cherokee owners, change your fluid with ATF+4!
  • ee_gatoree_gator Member Posts: 2
    Subtle transmission fluid leak from the gasket area with visible signs of streaks on the bottom of the pan. I am surprised that this is happening as this vehicle is just over 1 year, bought new.

I checked the fluid with the car at operating temperature (shifted gears beforehand) and the fluid is still at the correct level on the dipstick.

Is this just a matter of perhaps the pan bolts not torqued correctly or could this be a common occurrence after only 1 year for the transmission fluid to start leaking on a Grand Cherokee? Planning on dropping off the vehicle at the dealer, but curious to know what has caused this.

EE_Gator
  • jullettjullett Member Posts: 2
    when i accelerate through 1 and 2 its seems to be fine as soon as i hit 3 the rpm's increase but no acceleration when i come to a stop the rpm's drop down and so does the battery cage i hear a little bit of whining coming from i think the transmission i dont know if its maybe a sensor or a transmission problem ?