Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

1151617181921»

Comments

• ev10ssev10ss Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue. I thought that my spare tire was loose and thumping upon take off. I have the 3.7 liter and the problem hasn't gotten any worse.
  • fap1fap1 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem, it is not the transmission temp. problem. It is not the battery and it is not the starter. After spending a lot of money and no one could find it, I ran into the Shores Auto Clinic. They were able to fix the problem and it was relative inexpensive. It turned out to be a charred connection under the battery housing. They fixed it and now it runs great and the transmission temp message is also gone.
  • fap1fap1 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem, it is not the transmission temp. problem. It is not the battery and it is not the starter. After spending a lot of money and no one could find it, I ran into the Shores Auto Clinic. They were able to fix the problem and it was relative inexpensive. It turned out to be a charred connection under the battery housing. They fixed it and now it runs great and the transmission temp message is also gone.
  • manderzmanderz Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 jeep grand cherokee 4x4 4.0 6 cylinder straight 6 motor with a 42RE transmission. i had changed the oil and radiator house the day the problem started. i drove about 5 miles and shut the car off, then about ten min later i started the car and started driving home, i drove about 3 miles stopped at the red light and then took off, as i accelerated the car did not shift out of first gear, had too drove home doing 20 mph for about two miles, when i got home i checked the tranny fluid and it was fine, didn't smell burnt, color was right and fluid was not low. the next day i took the sensors out cleaned them did not replace them, changed the fluid, filter, and gasket. now the problem is worse. it took about one minute for it to shift in reverse then when putting in drive it still won't shift and its very rough riding and wants to stall out now, money is tight and have to have the car running, someone please help, if you have any ideas please let me know
  • wwilgimwwilgim Member Posts: 6
    ur being taken the governor pressure sensors are the problem.My 98 had this problem.
  • tahoegal1tahoegal1 Member Posts: 11
    Our 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee keeps dropping into limp mode and the speedometer works sporadically.

My husband replaced the TCM (which was matched to our part number and programmed per our VIN) and he replaced the input and output speed sensors, oil and filter for the transmission. The speedometer started working but the transmission is still dropping into limp mode. Next, we took our Jeep to the local dealership to have the TCM flashed which did not fix the problem. Note: the speedometer is now back to working sporadically. Back to the dealership, again, and they said that PCM was turning off the TCM. So, we purchased a PCM for our Jeep and installed that. Our car drove about 5 miles before the check engine light came on again, back to the dealership, again, sigh… They spent 3 hours checking the electrical for shorts and said maybe it’s the Relay switch for the PCM/TCM. But, they really don’t know anything for sure. We really need to get our overdue smog check completed so we need the check engine light off and we can’t afford to keep throwing money at this problem.

Any suggestions???
    Thank you for the info. Is replacing the governer pressure sensors something we can do or do we have to continue to fee our local Jeep Dealership more $$$?
    Regarding my problem with my 2000 GJC tramission stuck in limp mode and speedometer works sporadically. It seems like the answer should be installing a new transmission output speed sensor however, that was one of the first things my husband tried. Do you think after all of this time and money that the output speed sensor he replaced was bad? Should he go through the time and trouble to buy a new one and try again?
  • tahomastahomas Member Posts: 2
    My daughters Jeep GC is behaving oddly. I the got a call from her tow was on the way because it was struck in traffic. By the time I got there It was working fine and was able to get home. After home since then the trans mission has worked intermittently, able to move forward and in reverse but never far. Checked the fluid and it was ok. I was talking to someone who suggested that it may be a clogged tranny filter and to replace it with the fluid. She has not a lot of money to put into inspection, especially seeing a 19 year old girl come through the door. I can do some work i.e replace a filter but that's about it. any ideas Jeepsters or any tranny Guys?
  • hoser147hoser147 Member Posts: 2
    DId you get the above problem figured out? I got a Jeep GC 00 4.0L Drove it about 30 Mile today no problems or noise. Later drove it about 5 mi and on the way home it wouldnt shift out of 1st. I just had it serviced about a year ago. Checked fluid level it was fine all though it has air bubbles in it. I coded it out and got P 720 P0720 (M)

Low Output SPD Sensor RPM Above 15 MPH

The relationship between the Output Shaft Speed Sensor and vehicle speed is not within acceptable limits.
    Any Idea's?? Thanks All!!
  • hoser147hoser147 Member Posts: 2
    changed Rear Sensor and Everything is back to normal. Thanks ALL!!
  • bigt67bigt67 Member Posts: 2
    Never had a minutes problem with my 2004 JGC 4.0 with 118,000,until I was about 45 miles away from the house,I was sitting at a redlight of course with my foot on the brake waiting for the light to change and it felt like someone rolled into the back of me gentley,just felt like it wanted to take off,well when the light turned green I went to take off and it was in drive,or 3rd gear,I pulled it down manually and proceeded on.
    It doesn't do it all the time,I changed the fluid and filter,pan was clean and oiled smelled fine.
    But you can feel it shift while I am stopped,when it does that, it takes off in drive,thanks for any help?
    I am not sure what transmission I have.
    Thanks
  • mickey96mickey96 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and it has recently had several problems. It started overheating more frequently even after I repeatedly fill it up with coolant/ water weekly. I was on my way home from work the other day and it started overheating. So I stopped the car and there was smoke every where. I waited for a good ten minutes until the smoke cleared and the thingy wasn't hot. Then I put more water in it and it ran fine. The next day it started overheating again but it also started to click and not in the way that there is little oil because the oil is at the safe area. It also dies a lot when it starts to overheat. I am crazy con fused on what is happening to it nd I need some advice.
  • beccasjeepbeccasjeep Member Posts: 1
    Hello-I have a 2000 Laredo 4 cylinder with 145,000 miles. It recently started to accelerate on its own. It's slight and it just started today. I put it in cruise and hovered over the pedal. Sure enough, it was accelerating a bit and then going back to normal, same when not in cruise.

I have a few other problems(I am illiterate about vehicles so bear with me), it doesn't feel right underneath my feet when I drive. I have been driving for over 20yrs and haven't felt this before. It almost feels as if something is grinding? I'm sure that's not the case but sure how else to describe it. My engine ticks and the dealership mechanic couldn't figure it out.

Just had breaks changed because they were sticking, still feels that way. I have a new electrical system put in because the alternator blew and fried it. And a gasket was leaking so it had to be drained of oil and replaced, it was underneath so dont ask me what it was lol. I love my jeep and want to keep it even.
    tho it kills me in gas(45 miles to work one way). Anyone else have any of these issues?
  • dave473dave473 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,

I have a Jeep grand Cherokee 2009. 86K in total, looks like when I accelerate the transmission just gets stuck as though there is a limit? it wont go over 60mph.

what could the problem be?
  • becool1becool1 Member Posts: 1
    Fap1, I'm having the same problem, I can pull the battery housing, I installed a new battery when I just thought the battery was bad being 5 years old, but the problems returned. I even swapped the starter relay with the AC relay thinking that could be the problem, since I couldn't get the jeeep not to start. but the problem happened again last week, the wife stated the dash stated a transmission overheat message. Did they say what wires were charred, or did they show you the wires? I will do another inspection of the wiring harness leaving the battery going to the fuse panels and see if I see anything. I just love working on intermittent problems... Thanks Joe
  • scottlewis1scottlewis1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought one and wish I could give it back. It constantly downshifts when I am trying to coast, even when going downhill. Do not buy one without driving it first. If you still want to buy one after driving it make me an offer, PLEASE!
  • jeeper94jeeper94 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I started it and got out it was in park and not moving, I ran back in my house and when I came out the jeep had went backward down a hill and across the highway and into a ditch. Needless to say there is quite a bit of damage. I am the second owner and never thought to check to see if there were any recalls on the Jeep. I see there is a recall for the exact thing that happen to me...does anyone have any suggestions for me on any recourse I might have with Chrysler?? Any suggestions would be appreciated, even funny ones...
  • bigt67bigt67 Member Posts: 2
    All though no one helped,I decided to post what the problem was,I replaced the Solenoid & Sensor & of course changed the fluid & filter while I was in there,that's been about 2500 miles ago,it's doing great.
  • krystynaca13krystynaca13 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Laredo that has been doing the exact same thing. I was wondering if you have fixed yours and what was the problem. Every shop that I take mine to says that they don't know what it is or that the computer needs to be rebooted. I have done that as well and it hasn't solved the problem either.
    Just bought my Jeep a year and a half ago. It has over 160k miles on it. It ran great for the first year and then tranny started slipping when turning to the left. Checked fluid and it wasn't even reading on the dipstick. Put fluid in it and it ran fine for 6 months then started slipping out of gear then back in immediately. Now it runs fine till it warms up then slips out and in and then back out and then runs in limp mode. I can turn it off and let it cool and it will run fine again till it warms up and then it does it all over again. I took it to a shop and he replaced my battery because after sitting over night I would need a jump and also replaced a senso.r (I don't know what it was for) That didn't help. Battery still dead in morning and it still slips out of gear. He said that I needed to take it to a Jeep dealership to have them reboot the computer. The thing is, he told me that he already did that and that it happens each time my battery dies. I have no warranty and need the cheapest possible solution. Hopefully something that I can do myself. Please give me your suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated.
    By the way...there are no leaks of any kind and fluid levels are correct...
    Hi krystynaca13,

Regarding your question regarding if we have fixed our transmission limp mode problem, the answers is yes, but... The fix only lasted 3 months. However, we repeated the battery disconnect, reconnect process and the MPH limit and it is working again.

Here's what we did: We replaced the TCM and the Jeep dealership found the PCM was also malfunctioning (it was turning off the TCM). So, we replaced the TCM, too and cleaned all of the connectors with canned air. (We bought our PCM and TCM remanufactured online for great price.) Then, we removed first the negative and then the positive battery connectors, (the order of removal is very important) then we let the car sit overnight. In the morning we replaced the battery cables, negative first, then positive. You should see that your engine light is no longer on. These fixes alone do not completely fix the problem. You MUST drive the first 50 miles after the fix at no more than 50 MPH, not 51 MPH or 52 MPH, no more than 50 MPH. We stayed around 46 MPH as we have slightly larger tires than stock and we did not adjust our speedometer for the MPH change.

This may seem like a lot of hassle. But, now if the transmission drops back into limp mode we simply have to redo the battery cable steps and the first 50 miles at no more than 50 MPH. We suspect the TCM and
    PCM connectors may also need to be replaced but, we don't want to tackle that right now.

This fix is the result of a lot of research and a helpful mechanic at a Jeep dealership. But it really works and it's cheap.

Let me know how it works for you.
  • sigguysigguy Member Posts: 3
    So finally got it fixed, was a train wreck where one thing triggered another. Turns out the o2 sensors (2 of the 4) went out. ($50 each to replace) which messed up the computer, ($150). And also the transmission needed replacing ($2,400). But now runs perfects. U can check from cheap to expensive and see if one or all of those issues are effecting yours.
  • alpine1949alpine1949 Member Posts: 1
    abs & engine management lights on & wont come out of 1st gear can you help
    We have found that nearly every one of the problems found in our 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee were computer related. Replacing both our TCM and ECM got rid of a myriad of weird computer codes and malfunctions including our transmission being stuck in park, stuck in 1st and dropping into limp mode (second gear only).
    We purchased remanufactured ECM and TCM units online that were programmed specifically for our 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee by using our VIN. They were pretty easy to install. If you search on-line there are plenty of videos showing exactly how to replace them and then plug them in. Our units cost $125, plus tax and shipping each. A whole lot cheaper than going to a dealership. Our local Jeep dealer was going to charge $600 for just a PCM and $600 to install it.

Note: It is a very good idea to keep you speed under 50 mph for the first 50 miles after installing a PCM , TCM or both. We have found that this helps to prevent phantom check engine codes from returning. Really, keep it under 50 MPH. We kept our under 46 MPH as we have a little larger tires that than stock. Now, no more check engine lights.
  • a9352aa9352a Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to me... It was my crank sensor. Only 40 buck at auto zone.. Looks like a phone cord. I have a 2001 jeep grand cheroke laredo 6 cyl... Mine would shut off on me in the middle of driving. Then maybe 20 mins later would start right back up.
  • bobsacamanobobsacamano Member Posts: 1
    I have a '14, wish I had gotten a Ford Explorer or a Toyota. The 8 speed transmission in the V8 is apparently problem free. The 8 speed trans in the V6 is the roughest transmission I have ever had in a vehicle. They keep putting out software updates and none of them fix it. If I had to purchase again I can guarantee I would not get a 14 JGC
  • chester05chester05 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2012 JGC with 19k miles and when it shifts into overdrive it shifts very hard almost like a bang into overdrive. It doesn't do it everytime or under certain conditions, it is intermittent. The kind of problem you hate to go to service with like my 2011 JGC I traded in for this one because of the shuttering problem they couldn't fix and they said there was nothing wrong with it.
    Any thoughts?
    Thank you!
  • hjacobyhjacoby Member Posts: 2
    I have 09 JGC 4x4 3.5L. I am having the accelation problems that a lot of post talk about. Every so often my Jeep won't go beyond 20mph. I have tried the stop and restate method only to have it start again. Then other days there is no problem at all. So I thought that I might be low on fluid and accidentally over filled it. What can I do to narrow down the field of fixes. I just cannot afford to change out things hoping that it might work. Several post talk about TCM and others talk about a throttle position sensor. Will code reader help?
    Hi HJACOBY,
    We have two Jeep Grand Cherokees and we have found that whenever you have an intermittent Jeep problem it always, always, can be traced back to one of the computer control modules. On-line you should be able to locate diagrams of where your ECM and TCM modules are located in your engine compartment, then do the following:
    1.) Disconnect the battery: negative and then positive terminal.
    2.) For both the ECM and TCM units unplug the main cable and take a few hairs of a new paint brush and clean out the holes.
    3.) Let the car sit disconnected overnight to reset the computers.
    4.) Reconnect the ECM and TCM cables in the morning.
    5.) Reconnect the battery: positive and then negative terminals.
    6.) Important when you start using the car again, for the first 50 miles you MUST not drive a single MPH over 50 MPH. If you have bigger tires than the factory tires, stay under 44 MPH. This is a hassle but it is part of the process of fixing the problem. Which will return if you don't exactly follow all of the above steps exactly steps.
    Once you are done check to see if you have any engine codes by turning your key to the on position without starting the car 3X in a row. The 3rd time don't turn off key and you see either numbers flashing, one or more, or the word done. Done is what you are hoping for. If not than go online and check the codes.
    As a last resort you can replace both the ECM and TCM for around $125 each they're sold on the internet. They must be programmed to your VIN#. There pretty easy to replace. I went to a dealer the first time and they wanted to charge me $600.00 per unit and $400.00 to install each one.
    Best of luck. Please post if this fixed your problem, or not.
  • nnealnneal Member Posts: 72
    Hi, normally interment electrical malfunctions indicate a bad connection of some sort. In my opinion Tahoegal1 gave you some very good advice which I would try first. If that doesn't work I would search elsewhere for anything that looks like a bad connection. I had a 98 Cherokee where the Throttle Position Sensor acted up which drove me nuts because I couldn't find anything wrong even after replacing it. Don't ask me how but I finally discovered the problem was in the plug end of the harness to the sensor. The plug prongs had lost their "spring" and so an interment connection resulted whenever engine vibrations shook the connection. Squeezing them tighter for better contact solved the problem. During my search for a solution, my fault was in assuming plug connectors never went bad.

Another thing which came to mind is I remember a while back reading in the forums about someone with an interment shifting problem in which they found their solution was a bad ground wire (something to do with the alternator). I can't remember where now but found something along the same lines in the Jeep columns at http://answers.edmunds.com/question-1998-Dodge-diesel-2500-automatic-transmissio- n-shifting-problem-Need-copy-Dodge-grounding-solution-fix-problem-29412.aspx . (Hopefully you can copy and paste to see the page as I don't know how to insert links here)

Good luck in your search for a solution.
  • hjacobyhjacoby Member Posts: 2
    I cannot seem to be able to find an auto parts store that sells a TCM for 2009 JGC. Any suggestions?
  • floridaman2013floridaman2013 Member Posts: 1
    I had just leased a 2014 after turning in my 2011 and what a big difference with the 8 speed tranny. Only driven a few hundred miles so far but the shifting was a little harsh compared to all the old 4 and 5 speeds we had. I went back to the dealer today after searching the internet and found this Jeep TSB # 21-007-13 REV B Oct 12, 2013. It supersedes older TSBs in regarding reflash of software for the transmission control module. It only takes about 15 minutes and the end result was great. No more hard shifts and clunking. I also like the electric power steering versus the old Hydraulic, it is easier to turn the wheels now and still feel the road.
  • taz23taz23 Member Posts: 3
    hi i have a 1996 grand cherokee zj 4ltr auto.When putting it into drive it seems to stay in one gear,it don t change up or down.Ive changed the box for another one,cleaned sump out and added new oil but still the same problem.according to haynes manuel there is a pcm(transmission control module under the bonnet just behind the fuse box which i have found but having read some of the questions in this forum about problems that other people are having with their jeep keep stopping im wondering if the pcm is anything to do with the auto trtansmission.Would like some advise as to what to look at next please.Many thanks
    Hi, you are probably stuck in second gear which is what happens when your transmission goes into "limp mode". We had the same problem and exchanged our TCM via an online store. However, this only resolve part of the problem. The limp was still returning but only occasionally. It turned out that the PCM was also malfunctioning as it was turning off the TCM. I'm not sure if you could get away with just changing the PCM but, I would definitely try that first. They are easy to swap out and the online has plenty of videos on how to do it.

Good luck,
    Lake Tahoe Gal
    many thanks for reply tahoegal.where do i find these videos on how to swap them please many thanks
    Hi taz23,

We used the following company to exchange our PCM and TCM: carcomputerexchange.com They will need your VIN # in order to program the unit(s) before they send it to you. The cost was around $125 each. Much better than the $1,000 each that my local Jeep dealer wanted to charge for one unit and installation. To locate a video on how to install do a Internet search on your vehicle make and year with the keywords how to install PCM TCM video. There are several out for there for you to choose from.
    My husband installed ours and he said it was pretty easy.

Best of Luck
  • black347black347 Member Posts: 1
    I think my tranny is gone in my 98 jgc limited, on take off it doesn't wanna shift into gear right away. And today Im on the highway I got up to 65 then it started actin up, slowed down and wouldn't go pass 25. So I got it back to the house and now it won't back up, so what yal think?
    I have a 1996 cherokee 4ltr petrol auto trans.The first problem was the trans stuck in one gear which i still have,but now another problem,it won t start at all.There is no spark at the plugs.This model only has a pcm under the bonnet,it dont have a tcm for the trans.Now reading the haynes manuel (i no what yr thinking but needed some idea as ive never worked on one of these before)the manuel says the pcm controls the trans and everything else,so im thinking this may have packed up.It also says that from 98 onwards if the pcm was replaced it would have to be programmed to the car,now as mine is a 96 would i be able to get a pcm from mayb a breakers and just plug it in,yes or no.
    Hi, It sounds like you are on the right track. Most Jeep problems end up being traced back to a computer module. You have been told correctly that your PCM will need to be programmed for your specific car but, the good news is the programming is completed by the parts supplier. All you need to do is provide them with your VIN number and they will program your PCM for you, all you have to do is install it. For installation please be sure to do the following exactly.

Remove the battery cables, positive first, then negative. When you remove the PCM cables be sure to use a few bristles from a clean dry new paint brush to clean out the inside of the connectors. Install the PCM. We have found it is best to let the unit sit overnight before reconnecting the cables. Be sure to reverse the connection order when reconnecting positive first, then negative. When you are done your Jeep should run fine.
  • wheatfarmerwheatfarmer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 F350 with a 7.3 engine, the service engine light is on, I had it checked and it is the box that is mounted on the fender well and has to do with the fuel, I am not sure what that is called can someone help with that. Thanks
  • chele1312chele1312 Member Posts: 2

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 4.0. My son got it stuck in the mud (not on purpose), got it out, but now is having problems with it shifting from 1st to 2nd and it seems to take a few moments to kick into gear and go from a complete stop. Took it to a transmission shop, they put a computer to it and said that it was throwing a lot of codes and wants my son to bring it back. Said it was showing a bad 02 sensor and they think it might be that, that can be causing it not to shift.......anyone have any comments or know if it might be the PCM? The 02 sensor has been bad for a couple of years and we just never replaced it because of cost. Any help would be great so that we aren't paying a transmission shop for parts that don't need replaced.

• chele1312chele1312 Member Posts: 2

I also forgot to state, that if you turn it off and let it set for a couple of minutes and restart it that usually it will shift with no problems.

• sabotage_xjsabotage_xj Member Posts: 1
    Actually i'm having XJ 1991 with european 2,1 lit turbo diesel (French Renault)engine , wich i through away and put the 2,0lit 16V Fiat Tipo engine , drove it for 7 years , of course the gear ratio and eng power are totally missed .... but now is to late ....
    My brother bought a 2001 WJ 4.0 two years a go and now the sound started to hear , on a cold start for 10 -15 seconds , also on warm start but less around 5 sec., from the trans i think , like a propeller is hitting on something metal ....
    But reading all the posts , i can conclude that in America mechanics are bad , if you change everything in a trans. how can it be same , like before reparing ???

On the end probably , i'll by a reparation kit and do it alone , like on my 1991 GMC van :smile:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Are you an owner of a 2014-15 Jeep Grand Cherokee who is trying to get some clarification on the recent gearshift recall? A reporter wants to hear about your experience. Please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than June 22, 2016
  • felix1999jeepfelix1999jeep Member Posts: 2
    I have 1999 jeep grand cherokee limited with the 4.7 v8. When I turn real tight my from the end or transfer case knocks. It also skips or knocks at highway speeds when I get on the gas to go up a hill. It also won't crawl out of a ditch, it knocks real bad if it has any resistance or slippage. And also when i had it jacked up putting rims and tires on i had it in 4low with the e-brake on and it still allowed the front wheels to spin freely. Could it be the transfer case, pcm/pcu, or front gear and Pinion? Or wheel bearing. Seriously thanks you to whoever take the time to read and possibly diagnose
  • Northann1Northann1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD and what's happening seems to be a mystery and I'm hoping you guys have some answers. 
    Abut a month ago I had the rear seal replaced and it was dry. Fixed it. Problem solved. Three days later I hear and feel this grinding and kinda zinging noise under the console. Strange. I bring it in and it behaved perfectly so the garage found nothing. I was driving along abut two weeks later and it making a zinging nois twice and quits.
    Finally this last Sunday it went out. I was driving along and this HORRIBLE grinding stared under the console. It wouldn't stop making the sound no matter what gear it was in. In fact it wouldn't go in any gear not even park. The tow truck came and he towed it into the garage. This morning I get a call that he hopped in and fired it up and drove around town. Not a single sound. What the hell??? How is this possible? Any ideas? 
  • AxeSlingerAxeSlinger Member Posts: 1

Hi, has anyone experienced vibration with your 4l cherokee. It is definitely not an engine
    miss, its running fine but vibrating. I have checked all the engine mounts and they are fine, I even replaced the transmission mount for nothing cause I felt it had some play in it.
    I am thinking of going after the vibration damper next unless someone has a better solution.
    Thanks

My 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo was vibrating in the transmission like it was indecisive in shifting.
    Now it doesn't vibrate but now after driving for a little bit, it gets stuck in 3rd gear. From a dead start, it's slow to go forward unless I drop it to low 1 or 2. I'm guessing the cooling oil is heating up. If I let it sit over night everything's fine the next morning, until I'm driving for 20 minutes or so. At that point it locks into 3rd gear and will not shift up or down with speed. I'm at a loss any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you