Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture Engine Problems

Comments

• jbransonjbranson Member Posts: 7
    Ok so i have read ALOT about this problem on the Chevy venture! PLEASE HELP! We just bought this van and it was running fine! I change the fluids in the van after we get it it started to run HOT! I have air bubbles in it! Took to radiator shop and had it flushed. still running hot I had it pressured checked and that came back normal. So i change the water pump and thermostat. Now the check engine light is on (Code p0122) and still runs hot. it goes past the 1/2 toward hot then will come back down then go up. Someone said that it could be the Dash??? Please help Thank you! :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Was you loosing water? We have not lost any? So i am not sure what our problem is we have replaced the water pump thermostat rad cap and had it pressured tested. any ideas :confuse: ?
  • k00l4idk00l4id Member Posts: 10
    I would suggest doing a pressure test on the cooling system. In the 2002 models there was a changeup for the head gasket and that might be whats causing you to run hot without noticing a leak on the outside of the heads or block. I had the same problem in my 04, i changed the thermostat and flushed the whole system.
    so the 02 head gaskets are "bad" and i may need to change them? we have changed the thermostat and flushed the whole system as well as new water pump.
  • davy2davy2 Member Posts: 3
    Simple check. The next time you are out and the temp gauge starts to climb, turn on your A/C and see if it goes down. There are two relays in the fuse box which control the cooling fans. While driving at slow speeds they might not be activated, but the A/C over rides them and turns them on.... I have replaced mine twice already...
    my temp gauge goes to 3/4 before the fans come on???? I have replaced the Temp switch, the Thermostat, and water pump. Have had it pressure checked they said it was getting to 195 degrees they said thats normal. PLEASE HELP!!
    :mad: :cry: :confuse: :sick:
    OK my van is really having some issues!

we have changed the water pump, thermostat, had radior flushed, pressure checked, thought we had a air pocket so we had it vacuumed then Dye in the system to check for a blown head gasket. Can someone please tell me what else could it be?? HELP!!! :cry:
    :confuse: bad temp sensor? Bad guage?
  • neustkgneustkg Member Posts: 35
    2002 Venture w/ 105,000 miles. Within the last 6 months, whenever I drive uphill for an extended period of time (for more than say 10 minutes), temperature increases. I have been able to keep it from reaching the red, but it's been close. A few years ago I switched from Dex Cool to regular green ethylene glycol, and similar drives never gave me a problem w/temperature gauge.

This week I had the engine coolant flushed and filled, and wanted the shop to replace the thermostat. But shop told me a new thermostat for this vehicle costs $225 alone (not including labor), which I couldn't believe. While I haven't driven the vehicle on an uphill road that might increase the temp, I'm pretty sure the overheating problem is still there. Can anyone offer any suggestions why the vehicle has been recently heating on uphill drives? Could the cooling fan not be working (how to test for that?)? Also, how hard is it to change out the thermostat? I've changed out thermostats before on older vehicles (they usually cost about $25 or less in the past), and I figure that since I am using green antifreeze, I don't have to worry about any special procedures for opening a coolant system that contains Dex Cool. Can anyone point me to a place that sells thermostats for a more reasonable price (other than $225)?
  • bigbird58bigbird58 Member Posts: 3
    My Venture has the same problem. Fine on the flats but lots of uphill causes heating. I have had the radiator flushed, new hoses,serpentine belt and tensioner pulley, and the water pump replaced, none of which did any good. All the motor cooling fans work so, that's not the problem. Let me know if you find a solution. My mechanic is stumped.
  • 1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    If you are paying over $200.00 for a thermostat, I got a 4L60E trans I
    want to sell, and I only want $25000.00 for it, of course it's used!
    I figured it was way high, but this past summer, the alternator died on this van. We replaced w/a GM replacement, which was very high priced, but the aftermarket alternator selections were only about $50 less.
  • rhamrham Member Posts: 1
    Has any one had or know of any information on chevy venture experiencing uncontrolled acceleration in reverse or foreward. My friend had a one vehicle accident when her Venture took off when placed in reverse. I would like to know if any one has knowledge of this type of incident. Thanks.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    What is the code that is being set when the SES light goes on? Hard to diagnose until we know what the computer says is the problem.
  • tajavelintajavelin Member Posts: 1
    After a 150mile drive I noticed that under acceleration the temperature climbs under acceleration. Never past the 1/2 way mark though it will in traffic till the fans kick in. I know this seems like no big thing, but I noticed that it will also started to feel boggy like I was towing something as well. I have replaced the radiator, bled system, new coolant fans relays.. No codes but the long throw with the trans which I don't want to do til I get the heating underpowerd situation satisfied. Could the cause be the high pressure of the trans adding too much strain on the engine at acceleration ? I know the pump is working harder but will that cause so much drag that it is like I am pulling a heavy load ?
    Thanks
    Bob
    2002 Chevy Venture with the 3.4L V-6, w/about 105k miles with a coolant leak.

History: In winter 2006, with about 45k miles, we noticed a coolant leak and took it in to the shop. They thought it was the intake manifold gasket and replaced it. Got the car back and it was still leaking. Took it back and they found it was the head gasket. They replaced the head gasket and pretty much compensated us for the intake manifold gasket, so we paid about $2100 total (which is their price just for head gasket).

Now, with 105k miles, we are noticing another coolant leak and it seems to be getting worse (along with an oil leak, which I can deal with). I looked underneath hoping it was coming from the radiator, but no such luck. Looks like it's coming from the engine area, which leads me to believe head gasket again. Any other possibilities? I guess I need to call the shop that did the work and see if it is covered? Any chance that GM has a recall or something like that for this vehicle right now?

I hate to spend another $2k plus, but we don't really want to spend money for another new or 1-2 yo vehicle right now.
  • teddy84teddy84 Member Posts: 2
    It started over heating i changes water pump, thermostat, rator cap , i also flushed the rator, went it starts to over heat i noticed that the over flow tank is full when you take the cap off it drains back in the rator threw the small hose .. why is it still over heatingcan you tell me what is wrong ????
  • AJGWHEELSAJGWHEELS Member Posts: 10
    !! YES !! YOU need to replace the intake gaskets , they come in a kit , 2 upper gaskets ( PLENUM) and 2 intake gaskets , you need to get the service manual for this vehicle for proper procedure , these gaskets has been specially design to correct this problem , make sure you get these gaskets at GM . Theres also a set that comes with more parts to replace the cylinder gaskets and injectors gaskets and thermostat plus other parts design by VICTOR FLINTZ at GM , MAKE SURE YOU GET THIS SPECIAL GASKETS , its been design for this overheating problem , keep me posted AJ
  • teddy84teddy84 Member Posts: 2
    if it s the gaskets why did it just start some one told me it can be air bubbles and or the heater core can that be true?? How much will thoose other parts cost!!!
  • mc_hammamc_hamma Member Posts: 1
    If anyone is still interested in a response to this question, I ran into the exact same problem (sounds like)...

Oil pressure switch is directly above the starter. Jacked the car from the passenger side and you can see a steady stream of oil coming off the connector into the pressure switch. Replaced the switch (costs about $7 at AutoZone) and leak went away. You'll also need a special socket to get this thing off, so pick that up if you don't have one.
    Thought I'd give an update on the overheating problem. In December, we noticed the Venture was leaking coolant. I finally took it in in January. Turned out the intake manifold gasket was leaking (I had it replaced in spring 2006). The dealer shop also replaced the thermostat and crankshaft sensor (he recommended it since the mechanic noticed it was partially disconnected). Had it flushed well and replaced the coolant (switched from green to dexcool). No more leak, so I was happy about that. This weekend, we drove into the mountains the same route where the vehicle overheated last fall. It held temperature well the whole way. So I'm very happy about losing the overheating issue.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    You don't say where it looks like its coming from...if you can see where its coming from its a lot easier to help you guess what it is.

about 105k it could be the water pump...
    Sorry, I didn't update. Turned out to be the lower intake manifold gaskets. Had all the gaskets replaced by dealer and leak stopped. Also replaced thermostat. Was hoping it was water pump. Prob. would have been cheaper.
  • hogmohogmo Member Posts: 2
    As a follow up to this post, the overheating problem is definitely the sludge. And given that I'm not a mechanic, my management strategy is to just put the same DexCool into the cooling system. After going just 20,000 km, the sludge had built up terribly. I had the system chemically flushed at Mr Lube and now its working properly again, no overheating problems. There was an awful lot of sludge in the system! So, I guess it will be another flush, same time next year.
  • groelzjgroelzj Member Posts: 1
    Russ23, I saw you mention that you had done a writeup on replacing the engine/rebuilding it in one of your other posts. I don't know if you still haunt these forums, but I'd love to hear what you ran into in doing this. I just picked up a 2001 Montana with a blown head gasket. I grew up on a farm, so I'm not terribly intimidated with pulling the engine, but it's nice to know what all needs to be looked at or even replaced.

Thanks in advance,
    Jon
  • fleastifffleastiff Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2010
    I have a 'new' engine from a different 2000 Chevy Venture and the Service Engine light won't go off, the coolant overheats with an orange or a red warning message, the engine runs at normal temperatures only if I add two or three EXTRA quarts of oil beyond what the dipstick indicates is necessary. The car also often stalls at stop signs.

So what is the real problem?
    Oil pump?
    Coolant pump?
    Amount of coolant? Type of coolant?
    The engine is getting too hot, but is it due to coolant or oil problems?
    Amount or type of oil?
    Mainly I want to know what I should DO now?
    I've had hot coolant messages too often and I don't like adding oil if I'm not sure I need it.
  • azuazu Member Posts: 84
    I would stop driving and have it looked at. You do not want to overheat these engines once! Sounds like head gasket and/or intake problem. Adding more oil than max is a very bad thing. Lower end bearings may be shot.
  • sonnyace71sonnyace71 Member Posts: 2
    I am intreasted in finding any ideas or places for mods or origanal rocker pannels and fenders and front drivers door.
  • russ23russ23 Member Posts: 25
  • sonnyace71sonnyace71 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    I just had my 2000 do this and it needed to have new spark plugs and wires. and a fuel pump it will cost around 1200 to 1400 in the right place thats parts and labor. but in the long run the van is a good one to keep alive. i am in the middle of doing the body of mine to make it better still. have them check the fuel pump too for leaks and the egr valves too.
    I think the mechanic who changed the oil may have been the one who put in too much oil but if so I've been driving on it for over a month... and its been overheating that long too, I think. Now it has way too much oil in it, but at least it now runs cooler and I don't get either gauge warnings or the smell of hot metal. So maybe I'm better off with too much oil in it? I'm only doing real short trips until I can get it looked at, but I worry every moment.

Trouble is, that is the only decent mechanic around here. Well, halfway decent mechanic.
    Just make sure the oil is oil and nothing else. Does it look a little milky? How much over filled is the oil? If it's a pint or less, no problem. Anymore you have a time bomb brewing.
    Its at least two quarts and probably nearly three quarts over full (estimated) since I added two quarts myself and it was already over full. No Hot Coolant messages since I added the oil. Runs cooler now.
    How bad a time bomb?
    What will happen if it goes off?

Oil looks like oil, not milky at all.

Is there an oil pump anywhere? How do I know if its working?
    Is there a coolant pump anywhere? How do I know if its working?

I wonder if the oil change people just added oil without draining the old oil out? Or they drained the old oil out but added too much new oil?

I can't afford to lose this engine or to have any major repair jobs.
    Your use of the term "time bomb" scares me. I'd like to drive it to the seven mile distant mechanic but wonder if even brief errands around town for grocery shopping or something are going to wreck the car?

One person contacted me directly and said that the stalling was probably a separate matter entirely. That may be, but its the oil/coolant/temperature situation that really scares me, not the occasional stalling at stop signs.
    Excess oil will cause the oil to be churned and in turn will increase pressure within the engine. The increased pressure will start to find it's way out of engine oils seals resulting in oil leak(s) not to mention increased oil consumption. Best thing to do is drain it to proper level and take to mechanic. Your oil pan isn't deformed (dented)? is the dip stick the proper length without any deformities?
    >Best thing to do is drain it to proper level and take to mechanic.
    You mean not even drive it that seven miles to get there, but drain off three quarts first?
    >Your oil pan isn't deformed (dented)?
    Not that I know of.
    > is the dip stick the proper length without any deformities?
    Yes. Its the same type dipstick that was present on the former engine in that Chevy Venture 2000. I think it has five little holes in the dipstick to indicate the range that is proper. Also some cross hatching on the dipstick.
    I would drain the oil first.If you can't, you could drive the 7 miles real slow, 25 mph and under, and you may be ok.
    Okay. I'm going to recheck the dipstick and take off the oil fill cap again and look inside. If everything still seems to be too high (which I expect will be the case) I'm going to try to get under the car and see if I can locate and loosen the oil drain. I'll guess I'll just put a pan under it and try to close it after I think about two quarts has run out.

Oil must have been too high for a long time though, so I'm not sure if all this worry is proper. I did read that high oil levels cause the fast spinning crankshaft to whip up the oil into a froth that the oil pump can't pump. That sounds bad. Don't think I can afford to lose this engine or have any major problems with it.
  • 02ventureman02ventureman Member Posts: 1
    I have had that problem chasing the misfire, i found it to be a codepo304. which was the #4 cylinder . i should have done the compression test first . but i didn't . and bought new wires plugs and a coil pack . . the problem was from when i had the intake and heads replaced . the mechanic , over tightened the exhaust rocker arm bolt , which after 4k miles finaly pulled out of the threads . i put it back on with a healy coil. . i went to the junk yard and found a new rocker arm and push rod, ( if you go used , look at the 8 th letter in your vin number and get the same . cause most used a 10mm bolt , i had the newer 8 mm bolt .) so if you have a misfire. it is not always a coil, plug or wires . it could be a pulled / stripped rocker arm bolt ! i hope this helps
    UPDATE:
    Mechanic's conclusions:
    The excess oil was probably the fault of too much oil being added at the last oil change. I should not have added even more oil. Overheating problem was coolant, not oil related.

The overheating and hot-coolant warnings were probably due to a faulty thermostat in the coolant system. He pressurized the coolant system and determined there was no warped head gasket or anything and it did not appear that there was coolant mixed in with the oil, it was just oil.

Total Bill: Staggering!! And far more than I can deal with.
    edited April 2010
    I tried to drain the oil here, figuring I'd drain off about two quarts and then drive there, but getting underneath the car was real difficult and I couldn't find the oil drain. So I simply drove it to the mechanic (6.9 miles) and road speed.

He fingered the inside of the oil filler neck and he pressurized the coolant system. No leaks found. So he figured it was the thermostat which had malfunctioned.

He had been worried that the two Orange Hot Coolant warnings and the one RED Hot Coolant Warning might have warped the head casket, particularly if I shut the engine off prior to adding the coolant.

He seems to think I was lucky. I probably SHOULD have focused more on the coolant system when that was the warning since I never did get any low oil warnings. I guess I should have thought of the thermostat sticking but it just never did occur to me!

Dip stick reads high still but no where near the ridiculously high levels it did before. I think that place just puts in more oil than they should when they change the oil.

He fixed the doohickey that releases the hood catch so that is one annoyance out of the way.

He did say to "save my pennies" for a new radiator sometime.
  • drdrdaddeodrdrdaddeo Member Posts: 2
    Completely agree. Had similar problem with mine and code was P0341, camshaft position sensor. Cheap replacement part, but difficult to install. After installation, engine runs perfectly.
  • christopher77christopher77 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 chevy venture, 2400 v-6 overheats on an idle or in traffic. unless the air conditioning is on. can someone help with this problem, replaced thermostat, temperature sending unit and also 2 of 3 relay switches...can drive in the cool of the evening as long as wind moves through radiator.
    Sounds like either a failing water pump or something wrong with fans not coming on when they should without the a/c on. With the a/c on the engine fans come on automatically regardless of engine temp. That could be from a bad ECM.
  • bethany380bethany380 Member Posts: 1
    The fans in front of the engine are not running, except they will turn on every great once in awhile and they have a loud sound to them. I had the water pump changed and the thermostat changed and it still does it. If I drive fast the temp will not go up as high but if I have to stop at a red light it will go straight to the top. If you open the hood you can smell the heat from the engine. What can I do or what steps can I take to see if it will fix the problem? I have already spend over one thousand dollars and now I don't have much left so its up to me to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.
    edited May 2010
    Ive also experience the same problem. Turned out there was a pinhole in the side tank of the rad, causing an air bubble in the system. I would suggest making ssure that ALL of the air has been "Burped" out of the cooling system. I had to pull my rad and solder up the hole and re flush the system, should take about 6hours total to get all the air out of the system. Pull the rad cap off, top up the system, drive it for half an hour, park it and check the temp of the rad cap. Im going to bed dollars to donuts that its stone cold(the rad cap). crack the bleeder screw next to the thermostat housing and allow the air to escape. Once the engines cooled down enough top the rad up and close the screw. repeat the process. Just a side note, on mine, the temp would react normally after the first top up and air bleed. Continue to burp it until you are satisfied that all the air is out. On the final burping of air, i would suggest leaving it overnite with the rad cap off, top it up in the morning, run it for half an hour(driving not idling) pull it into the driveway, top up the overflow and mark on the bottle where the level is hot, let it cool down and see where the level is. if the overflow is empty theres still air.
  • AJGWHEELSAJGWHEELS Member Posts: 10
    first check the flat grey connector thats in front of the fans , sometimes they get burn inside , second do you have rust inside the radiator? this indicates theres a air escape and is not completely sealed or have air inside , need to purge by loosing the 2 valves , one near the water pump and one near where the thermostat is.
  • jeffer65jeffer65 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    could you tell me where to find the cam position sensor in the engine compartment ? thanks. Mine usually misses at higher speeds on the freeway car jerks alot what about yours?
  • poffinpapoffinpa Member Posts: 1
    MY VAN WAS RUNNING FINE UNTIL TODAY AND IT STOPPED RUNNING FINALY IT STARTED AND RAN LIKE IT WAS SKIPPING AND IT SOUNDED LIKE THE VALVES WERE TAPPING. , THE LOW OIL PRESSURE LITE IS ON AND IT HAS NO POWER, MY DAD CHECKED IT OUT IT IS NOT THE FUEL HE REPLACED THE FUEL FILTER AND CLEANED THE TROTLE BODY, HE CHECKED THE CODES AND GOT 0300, HE SAID IT SOUNDS TO HIM LIKE IT JUMPED TIME, BUT WHAT HAS TROWN HIM IS THE LOW OIL PRRESURE LITE ANY ADVICE