Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pilot Backfires

alx3alx3 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Honda
I have a Pilot with 1300 miles and every once in a while, certainly not repeatable, it backfires when I start it. Sounds like out of the back but I have heard it come from under the hood.
I went to the dealer and he said try another brand of gas and that unless a check engine light comes on, he can't trace it.
Anyone else with this experience?

Comments

• silverpiloto5silverpiloto5 Member Posts: 23
    I had a 2003 Pilot and now have a 2006 Pilot. My wife has a 2006 Accord.

I have noticed a "backfire" like sound when starting BOTH 06 cars. It seems to be the A/C clutch engaging. TRY making sure the A/C is OFF when you leave the car at night and see if the sound still occurs. When I notice the sound, I immediately check whether the A/C is on or off. 100% of the time I hear the noise, it is on.

Let me know what you find.
  • doctor_dirtdoctor_dirt Member Posts: 8
    I occasionally hear that same backfire but I isolated the sound to the stereo. Mine is a pop in what sounds like the back speakers and I hear it regardless of A/C.
  • alx3alx3 Member Posts: 3
    That's interesting. My Pilot has a subwoofer in the back, right side which is where I hear the sound.
    I'll try to see if the radio off makes a difference.
    Thanks!
    Alx
  • alx3alx3 Member Posts: 3
    The service manager at the dealership said the same thing about the A/C and also about trying different gas which I thought was a crock. See reply re backfire from speakers.
    Thanks.
    Alx
  • firemike5firemike5 Member Posts: 1
    iI HAVE A 2007 PILOT EXL AND NOTICE WATER COLLECTING ON DOOR SILLS UNDER PLASTIC FOOT PADS. ALSO WATER DRIPPING FROM REAR HATCH CENTER HOUSING WHERE BACKUP LIGHTS ARE LOCATED. HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THESE PROBLEMS?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try Honda Pilot Wet Carpet from Leaks.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
This discussion has been closed.