Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn S-Series: code p0101

moparmaniamoparmania Member Posts: 9
edited June 2014 in Saturn
I have a 2002 SL1 and keep getting the p0101 code (misfire on cyl 1 and code p0507 idle high for engine situation). I changed the plugs to platnium and new plug wires, also, swapped the coils. I checked the compression all cyls are okay. When I pull the 1 cyl plug wire the engine doesn't hardly react unlike if I pull any other plug wires. since it is only happening in cyl 1 I am assume it is a fuel injector? it idles around 1300 and you can hear it missing at the tail pipe, however when I turn on the A/C the idle goes down to about 900 and smoothes out, and then you pull the plug wire on cyl 1 and it reacts like you any of the other cyls with the wire pulled. Any suggestions?????????

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I did a search of the entire forums and found that code for other make/models, but not for the S-Series. However, it apparently has to do with the massive air flow sensor. You probably knew that already. :blush:

If you don't get a response here, you might try posting over in Got a Quick Technical Question? on the Maintenance & Repair board.
  • chris81chris81 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 SL1 same problem did you get a solution to your problem.
  • moparmaniamoparmania Member Posts: 9
    not yet, I seen one back in april 2006 (message 1333) in the forum and it said they changed the throttle positioning sensor and still the same problem?
  • booboo6booboo6 Member Posts: 46
    I have same exact problem, waiting for warmer weather to troubleshoot. Likely the IAC not operating right. Won't know until I clean it and possibly change it. I have '02 SL1 also, same exact problem. I have theories, here goes:
    1. As the car idles/starts fine cold, and runs smooth during fast idle, the operation is fundamentally fine. With hood opened, just when the AIR system blower is commanded to stop and the IAC closes on same command (coming off fast idle), misfire occurs. Likely too rich, not enough air for that gas dose. As we have waste spark, the spark also happens on exhaust, combined with exhaust heat, the charge is burned, for that "pop".
    2. Cyl-1 is at far end of the intake manifold, and gets least air givent he straight design, so if there is air starvation, cyl-1 gets the least air and richest mix. A general problem of too rich would show up first here.
    3. When A/C or fast idle is commanded-on, the IAC opens to let more air in, and the fuel dose may be different, settling matters.
    4. Throttle position switch is also suspect: if it fails to tell PCM that it is in idle, system may try to operate in close-loop control and the mix will falter at low rpm.
    The readily accessible IAC is likely problem as I exhibit some on and off gas during deceleration, suggesting that the IAC is oscillating, let in more air as it should, and then not, etc.
  • chris81chris81 Member Posts: 2
    If you are getting a missfire in one cylinder and a high Idle. I fixed my problem by replacing the intake manifold gasket. The gasket was only $27.00 but It took me 6 hours to replace. The book hours was 4.6. Get a book on how to change it because you have to take of some wheel well parts to reach the bolts. I used a Chiltons. It sounds wrong but to test it take some water and spill around the gasket and you will hear some gorgling. The air fuel mix is bad because the gasket is bad. I went to a dealer mechanic and he was very helpful. He knew right away what the problem was.
    Thanks, but my problem is very slow idle, as if operating on 3 cylinders, but the car often runs perfectly and not getting worse. When it idles a bit fast, it does not misfire. Saturns are known for their problem IAC.
    The signal from PCM is duty cycled, so even at idle speed, it suggests that the total air delivery is part via the set screw path, and the balance of air flow via the duty cycled IAC. (IOW, idle air flow is not a stay-closed IAC and the idle screw path all the air it needs for idle). This gives the PCM some ability to control idle speed between the Drive (loaded) or in Park (unloaded) modes. But if IAC sticks and sluggish, and not letting its share of air thru, misfire is to be expected. Normal intake manifolds, especially with throttle body injection (as well as carbed cars) use centrally located inlet for even flow to the cylinders. Saturn uses simple manifold... air comes in from cyl-4 end and with straight manifold, air is the least at the distant cyl-1 end, so general air starvation results in richest mix at cyl-1. I am planning to remove intake hose and just hit the IAC with WD-40. If instant improvement, the problem is there.
    I started looking for potential vacuum leak in the cyl-1 runner as that is still a good possibility as suggested. Outright cyl-1-only misfire does point to vacuum leak at this cylinder. When not idling and throttle opened all the other operating conditions, vacuum is reduces by this and enough to avoid the misfire if it is a smaller vacuum leak. I measured -18 in-Hg for vacuum via the EGR port, which may be in proper range. Does anyone know what is the proper vacuum for the '02 Saturn SL1. A local minor vacuum leak may not affect this overall figure enough to show a vacuum loss, but -18 in-Hg is pretty good. On this subject, there's a lot of chatter in misc. forums about coolant leak and intake manifold gasket leaks. What's the connection I wonder. The matter is about air and sealing around the head intake ports, and not sure why coolant loss is involved for these cases. General manuals for old Saturns do show a heater hose going into the intake manifold. Baffling...
    All set. Thanks all. Intake manifold gasket leak. Involvement with coolant is that the fabrication holes of the cylinder head needs the manifold and gasket to cover up!
  • dreuterdreuter Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 SL1 with only 50K miles, and I get two codes, like many other people have. They are that the idle is high, and cyl-1 is misfiring. The car idles high (~2000 RPM) when started, and sometimes when put back into park. Lots of people say that the idle control valve (looks like little motor on right (driver's side) of engine intake manifold) is dirty or needs to be replaced. This usually isn't the case. It IS the manifold gasket leaking at the #1 intake. Try spraying carb cleaner on the #1 intake (passenger side) while the car is running. If the engine begins to die, then you know you have a leak. You can spray the entire intake manifold, and you'll probably only find that #1 is the problem. I have a friend that bought the same '01 SL1 I did, at the same time I did (brand new), and he had the same problems at 18K miles. The techs couldn't figure it out, and they even brought in some of Saturn's engineers to try to help. They all know what the problem is now. He gave the car back after his 3 year lease. I don't blame him.
    No doubt it is intake gasket leak. I can hear the leak! Spraying on some SAE90 did the trick for a while, as the oil got dragged in and the thick oil temporarily sealed the leak! The IAC valve is not the problem. If IAC is stuck closed, that is the correrct condition for warm idle. If IAC is stuck open, one would get faster idle, but no misfire. The fast idle comes from fact that there is no air flow sensor and available air is based on the manifold vacuum sensor and the throttle position switch. So air slight leak of the vacuum will be sensed and fuel added as if fast idle is intended. I have new Fel-Pro gasket to put in shortly. It is much thicker than the one supplied with the car. I don't think problem is insufficient clamping of gasket, but more like an inferior gasket material. This problem is starting to show up all over for the '02 SL1. The job is about 3-4 hours. Should not be bad to do. Car is not bad, just poor gasket. Not safety matter, so I expect no general recall.
  • moparmaniamoparmania Member Posts: 9
    Yes, I have already replaced the intake gasket with a new Felpro one and it now runs great. Back to getting 40+ mpg. I even asked the service writer if there were any issues with this car and the problem showing up, and he said not that they new about, just wanted $85 for diagnostic (which I didn't do). I was told about this issue some how linked by "check engine light" fourum some place inside edmunds.com
    In a way, we lucked out, in that our leak is sensed by the manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP) so the Saturn may burn a little rich overall, which is much less of an issue than had we a hot-wire sensor in the throttle body and the leaked air unsensed, resulting in extra lean burn and hotter exhaust (catalyst damager, exhaust valve damage, etc). From what I read, this problem is a known "occasional" problem with the L24 engine. The OBD-II knows which cylinder misfires because it studies the crank rotation speed via the crank position indicator. It knows when there's a missing power pulse and which cylinder loss a power pulse (i.e. misfire) this manner, especially at idle speed when there's not enough momentum to flywheel effect smooth out the crank spin. OBD-II is pretty smart. Identification of misfire is pretty accurate! I've not put my new gasket yet, but will do so and time my tasks. I think I can finish in 3 hours if the old gasket comes off clean. From sound of things, it should drop right off! I have a 90 deg geared drive so I should be able to spin the nuts on and off quickly (let's not waste time ratchetin on and off so many nuts on long studs, let alone dropping and searching for them)! Cheers.
  • mlc3530bmlc3530b Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 SW2 with the 1.9 DOHC and have a very similar problem. When the engine is cold, it will start and run fine in idle and park. As I drive and it warms up it will misfire under lightly loaded conditions-cruising and when stopped at lights etc. I narrowed it down to the Nr. 3 cyl. by removing spark plug wires. I have just changed out all the plugs and wires. Went back and rechecked, still have the same problem. The cylinder is getting good spark as best I can tell, it was checked by pulling the plug and grounding it to the block. So, I changed the fuel injector next. No improvement.

By the sounds of previous discussion here, I think I am looking in the wrong area now. But I have no clue as to where the IAC sensor is at, much less the rest of the sensors. Autozone has check it and came up with a P0303 code-cylinder 3 misfire detected. Any help would be a huge help, as it sounds very similar to what you have dealt with already. Thanks.
    Your '99 model is a bit older model than I'm used to fooling with, but if Saturn/GM also used the same material fiberglass gasket in your model, you almost certainly have a leak from a crumpled, sucked-in gasket as I suffered (and many others). I would say going to Saturn dealership to make repairs is probably not good idea if they are going to put in the same GM intake gasket part. Maybe possible to specify Felpro gasket with whatever shop you go to if you don't do the repair yourself. I would not go too long with your car in that condition as there is localized leaning at your cyl-3, that could cause a burnt exhaust valve there. The exhaust is extra hot venting out that cylinder. P0303 is misfire at cyl-3. Mine was P0301 (cyl-1). You may get P0507 once in a while when PCM fails to control the fast idle caused by the leak under certain conditions. Most of the time, it is very slow idle caused by 3 cylinders running. You run smoother in cold idle because the IAC opens up to increase idle and end up lowering the manifold vacuum, so the reduced vacuum causes less leaking at the failing intake manifold gasket.

As the misfire is not random across the cylinders, you can almost bet your last dollar it is vacuum leak at cylinder 3 intake gasket. OBD2 is quite accurate, especially for 4-cylinders. If anything like my '02 SL1, the job is a less than 3 hour do-it-yourself job. All I had was Haynes manual for guide. Good luck.
    Thanks, I think I'll head down to autozone and get a quality gasket then do it myself. In the meantime, guess I'll park it and save myself and wallet from a big repair. Thank you for the advice, I'll let you know how it turns out.
    I've always used Felpro gaskets all my life. It's metallic cored and expands similarly to the aluminum manifold as well as aluminum head. Fiberglass probably thermally expands/contracts too much and a mismatch. Cost for Felpro: $18. Original gasket is $15, so only $3 between junk and good stuff. If you drive mainly on the highway, the leak won't hurt you too badly. With opened throttle, most of the air is let in via the throttle, so the leaked air from the gasket gets to be in the noise and out of the picture. It's if you idle a lot that there could be issues of burnt exhaust valve and damaging the catalytic converter. The misfire is from the unburned/lean gas mix getting fired after it fines hot exhaust manifold. The burn may not be complete, so expect a lot of work for the catalytic converter and lots of water coming from the tailpipe (could increase corrosion). If you send me your E-mail, I'll send you a pic of my gasket. I still have the pieces and positively located the point of leakage. The gasket will fall right off, so you don't need a scraper! Some acetone is all that is needed to clean the surfaces.
    thanks, the email address is: michael.claypool@inbox.com
  • dillomitedillomite Member Posts: 1
    I think I'm having the same problem on the same car...faulty intake manifold gasket on a 2002 Saturn SL1. The car is idling high, and a recent diagnostic test revealed a misfire of the #1 cylinder. I replaced the plugs and wires, hoping for a quick, easy and cheap fix, but with no results. I checked out the EGR and IAC valves and they seem to be clean and functioning fine. I haven't looked at the throttle body, but then again that would not explain the misfire.

So, I'm concluding that I will have to replace the intake manifold gasket. I'm going to spray carb cleaner around the gasket to determine if this is really the problem before I go at it. I plan to pick up a Haynes manual to attempt to do this on my own. This is the first larger project I've undertaken on this car, but I really would rather spend the $300 a shop wants for labor on tools and learning how to do it myself. Is replacing this gasket something that someone with good diy skills can tackle with a repair manual, a will and a weekend, or should it be left to a mechanic? Any tips?
    You almost certainly have the same problem and it is chronic. You likely have code 0507 showing PCM inability to control the fast idle. Your '02 Saturn (like mine), does not actually have an EGR. '02 and possibly '01 eliminated EGR. That valve you identified as EGR is nothing but a control valve that opens to let the DC blower inject air into exhaust manifold for fast catalyst heat up. When the PCM calls for shutdown of the fan, PCM will close that valve at same time to prevent exhaust from baking the fan.

It is not a major job at all. Don't take apart all the things mentioned in the Haynes manual, which is for outright manifold removal from car. Only remove what you have to and slide the very lightweight assembled intake manifold straight back and off the studs. No scraper needed as with other cars. This gasket will come right off. I'm in NYC on travel. Can send you my checklist and whatever else and pics when I get back home in Boston, including my gasket's leak point, etc. If I do it again, can do in 2 hours. Don't take to Saturn dealer, which will put in another same gasket with possible reoccurance. The plastic gasket just doesn't adhere to the clamped surfaces and gasket probably expands/contracts too much with each engine heat up. The gasket just flows and distorts, creasing and whatever, letting in air. Car will run like new with gasket work!
  • darkfyre07darkfyre07 Member Posts: 12
    yeah the list of parts I have replaced so far:

coolant temp sensor, 4 injectors, idle air controller, air filter, spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coils, ignition module, and many more that I can't remember. Also have had to do 4 oil changes because of fouling in the engine oil. I've only had the car for a month now, and I have to get an emmisions test done to get the car plated and on the road, but without this fix, it's not road legal.
    my saturn dealer wants $139 an hour, but that's probably because they suck. I never see anyone there unless they are getting warranty work done, or have recalls to be done. Everyone I know goes to the next closest saturn dealer about 45 minutes away, and nobody has had a problem there. I have a friend who I am speaking to at this moment that had his manifold gasket done last ear for the same reason, and he said it took him like 1 hour 45 minutes start to finish
    I also have the same problem. I'm in Canada if that makes any of the work harder or easier. I was told by the local Saturn dealer that my off warranty 2001 Saturn SL1 would require the same gasket to fix the problem. They tried selling me a OEM gasket set for over $100, and then said that it would take 7 to 10 hours work to get it in and would more then likely cost me $900 for work. I know for a fact it won't take more then 3 hours, but you know dealers, they wanna stick it to you in labour. So I decided to check the Haynes guide and it said to remove some front end parts for clearance, but that is way over my head. Could you send me your checklist of how to do this without all the unnecessary removal of parts for "clearance" I picked up the felpro gasket to fit, and just need to find a way to do this easily considering that I have already spent over $700 (arms-length list of replaced, and probably unneeded parts) to find this problem and don't want to spend any more then I need to at this point.
    Your Saturn dealer is strange. Mine wanted 5 hours and that task is well known and booked. It is really a 2 hour job for them, and the gasket is worthless. Makes no sense to put the a new plastic gasket in there again. Haynes manual is my reference guide too, and its procedures are for outright removal of the intake manifold from the car. This is not necessary for gasket change only. The work is much less than prescribed. There's enough clearance to do the job pretty easily. Best to do this yourself if you're comfortable under the hood. This job is pretty straightforward. I should be able to look you up on the forum and get the repair material to you. I feel sorry for your situation. They probably replaced your fast idle solenoid, maybe injectors, maybe more. It's outrageous of course.
    User Darkfyre07: click on my forum user name and use that E-mail to send me yours. Your profile lists your E-mail as private.
    ok, my email should be visible now... if not then it's darkfyre07@hotmail.com
    I've your E-mail. OMG on the above work done. Your gasket leak must be in bad shape, to include the cyl-4 end of the block. Your gasket must be letting coolant into the manifold and some of this getting into the oil via cyl-4 or so. You probably have been smelling coolant burned with the exhaust for a while. Here in Massachusetts, the emissions test is failed if the OBD-II computer shows a fault. The SL is fundamentally a well designed car.
    it's funny, it's not that bad. I just can't get it to stop. I'm following what I was told to follow, and now I have just said screw it and started looking for alternatives. I noticed the manifold leak when I was trying to clean some leaves from the cowl, I saw some fluid dripping from the cylinder 4 end of the manifold after it had been run, it was dripping onto the hot block and making a sizzling sound, so I took a rag and swiped it, and noticed it was smelling of gas and sugar, telling me that it was leaking a little bit of coolant, but not that much. The car sat outside from last July until late november without being run for more then a few minutes to move it, and the gasket looks like it just came apart from lack of use. It's not plastic, it looks more like cheap tin covered cardboard, so I know it's been done once. I just got it basically and have had nothing but trouble diagnosing what was wrong. I had a 1990 toyota camry before this car and the transmission broke going like 80km/h and literally stopped the front wheels and made the car skid into a ditch and rolled over 3 times. I did all my own work on it for the 2 years I had it, and never had a problem like this...
    Your gasket sounds like it has been deteriorating for quite a while. The material is fiberglass. It flows and deforms over time from the heat and general lack of grip with the clamping surfaces. It doesn't expand in manner needed to match the aluminum head and manifold. Misdiagnosing has always been costly, and even the shops are like this to some extent. But the car will run like new after the gasket change. A flaw here and there is fixable, but a general bad design is not. The SL is not a bad car. Lots of good solid thinking went into it as I could tell studying it. Too bad you didn't visit this forum earlier on. Folks would've saved you a lot of aggravation. Be sure to have a deep socket 13mm, I think that was the only tool I took from the seldom-used tools supply. An extra person helps a lot, but not necessary.
    seems like a lot of work for just a $40 gasket, but it has to be done. I see now from the proceedure that it does take time, but not the 5 hours needed to do it that the shop said. I've got a few people that own saturns like mine that do their own work, and I'll see if I can get a pair of extra hands to help out. I didn't realize that the power steering pump was attached to the manifold, but I went outside and looked at it myself. I wish it was a more simple job, but it's easier then the "we have to rip the engine out to do it" job that saturn wanted to do. they tried telling me on the phone that there is no other way to do it without rotating or removing the engine.
    The FelPro high quaity replacement gasket only costed $18 for me. But like a lot of work on cars, most of it is in the labor. Your Saturn dealer is a particularly bad one. They must've done this job daily as all the folks I know (total of 3 including myself) had to get it done, so this is a widespread problem. The power steering pump is attached to a small bracket that is attached to the engine head, not the manifold. The PS pump is removed only because it gets in the way and prevents the manifold from sliding straight back towards the firewall. All hoses are flexible and it is a lightweight item. Just set it aside with hoses intact, etc. With the timing belt off, turn the PS pump pulley by hand aligning the 3 access slots on the pulley to get to the 5 bolts that hold PS pump to the bracket. Keep track of the bolts as there are 2 different lengths. The job is easy compared to working on a Toyota Camry for same job. Even at booked 5 hours job. Saturn charges $90/hr. If you consider the gasket is worthless and they only need 2 hours, they make about $250/hr. Working on own car is the highest self paying job available to anyone with a car.
  • catmando1catmando1 Member Posts: 10
    Thank goodness for these forums, and all of you who have shared your experiences. After reading this thread, I confirmed my problem to be the intake manifold gasket on my '01 SL1, and just finished changing it out this afternoon. Not a real difficult job, but it did take a little time. I'll put some miles on it this week and see if the check engine light will stay off.

Cheers...it's Miller time!
    Matt
    '01 SL1, 230K and counting
  • saturnbluesaturnblue Member Posts: 10
    I noticed you mentioned having an abbreviated list of sorts for changing out the intake manifold gasket, could I get that list from you as well if it's not a problem?

I have PO301 and PO507 in doubles and single pairs with variable code sequence and I've collected all the necessary tools, but a step in the Chiltons that specifies relieving the fuel rail pressure also recommends replacing the o-rings on the injectors each
    time they're removed, other than obvious cracking from ozone damage, is this step along with draining all the Antifreeze a necessary step for replacing the Manifold gasket?

Thanks.
    I can't speak for Booboo6, but I did successfully replace my gasket yesterday. I tackled the job without a manual, which might have helped a bit. First...be sure that the gasket is for sure the problem by spraying carb cleaner around each intake port at the cylinder head with the car running...if it races or chokes, then it is definitely sucking in air and the gasket is shot.

The fuel rail is easy to disconnect at the end. A special squeeze clip is all that locks it in place and a gentle tug will pull it off (don't let it squirt you in the eye, and be ready to catch about two ounces of fuel from the rail since the pressure is relieved).

the antifreeze caught me by surprise...I didn't pay enough attention to other posts in this thread. The manifold gasket does seal off cooling passages within the cylinder head, and once the seal is broken (as your removing the manifold) the contents of the head will leak out. So, draining at least a portion of the coolant...say a gallon or so...might prevent it from spilling down the back of the engine and onto the floor or ground.

I wasn't able to acquire a torque wrench for the job...and also was confused with the torque specs in my Haynes manual (only listed up to 1999)...so I did a no-no and winged it. I tightened in 4 stages, evenly, starting from the center of the manifold and working outward. This is very tedious, and is probably much worse with an actual torque wrench. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

sorry....long-winded...but hope this might help.

Matt
    I know what you mean about the torque settings, I have a torque wrench, but I have to find it first, it does say in the Chiltons to start from the center and work your way outwards, so you're correct in that step, the torque settings are a bit confusing, up til 99 on DOHC and SOHC it says 22 ft-lbs 2000 and above it's 114 "inch" lbs for the DOHC only, why the change in 2000 for the DOHC and in inch-lbs. vice ft-lbs. is a bit odd unless they started using a different alloy around the manifold surface area bolt studs.

The manual says something about a schrader valve depressing to relieve the fuel pressure, (this step is in another chapter from the 20 sentence steps listed for the manifold replacement.

Did you remove your hood to do your gasket? I'm thinking about doing it and the valve cover just to get a better view of what I'm doing, the other thing is I might want to replace my serpentine belt as I have an oil wicking problem where the leaking oil only leaks when the car is running and whips all over the underside of the hood and some of the hoses in the vicinity.

Since I have to relieve the tension on the serpentine to remove the power steering pump, I thought it would be a good time to replace it before the oil eats up the belt or causes it to fail,(I don't know for sure I'm guessing) my past problems were limited to just cracks in the rubber due to age and ozone exposure, this is my 3rd Saturn, my 1st one
    (91)I traded in just as the catalytic converter was starting to be really noisy like a bunch of marbles trapped inside it.

My second one was a used 92 SL2 and I found out quickly about the TSB that related to the non-joke of carrying around a case of oil in the trunk because of it's notorious
    oil burning problems, once I came back after my wife had been driving the car and she said it sounded like clicking
    in the engine,(1500 miles without an oil level check) to me it sounded like dieseling, lo and behold, the dip-stick was bone dry, almost no oil! Anyway I got rid of it as soon as possible, ironically 6 months later I spied it traveling in the same direction one morning, (some woman was driving it) in a city of over a million people what a surprise, I just feel sorry for her even though I replaced about $1000 worth of stuff during the 2 years I owned it, the most expensive being that damn $700 windshield after I kilt a mosquito and cracked that old windshield.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on the 2 oz of fuel drippage, I have lots of pads to absorb that and maybe it won't burn or corrode through the plastic layer of these diaper pads.
    One last bit, I did the carb cleaner on the top of the intake area and it revved up each time I did it, this was a confirmation of some advice I paid for just to make sure as I didn't wish to give away my money to Saturn if I could fix the problem and finish getting my car smogged as these 2 flags are the only thing keeping my car from getting smogged and I'm ready to start getting better mileage already since I'm already paying $4.60 a gallon out here in
    "you're being punished for not enough of you voting (R) in SoCal" it's always political of course if I wanted to waste more gas, I could do what some are doing and drive down to Mexico where state price supports make it about $2 a gallon cheaper! ($2.45)!!!
    I changed my gasket out last thursday (July 3rd) and it took me longer because I spent a lot of time looking for my hand-me-down torque wrench which I gave up looking for after a few hours.

Most of the time I wasted 2 out of 4 hours was trying until the next day when I found out (duh) that the drain for the radiator is merely a 1/4" socket, (double duh for me!) the
    power steering pump was the lone problem as removing 3 bolts did little until I noticed that there's a hard to reach bolt at the bottom of the P.S. bracket, I managed to
    push the P.S. pump back far enough to give me the necessary clearance to push the intake assembly off the engine studs.

I used nitrile gloves to protect my hands and a shop rag to absorb the gas from the rail, (there was no pressure in my line, but a bit of liquid gas)
    I didn't have 2 oz drain out, most likely due to having the Saturn at an incline with the front wheels on a level surface (for the jack stands stability) I used the left over gas on a shop rag to clean off the 2 mating surfaces and once I had full clearance, the gasket went on without any problems, I too hadn't drained enough coolant, so as I removed all the nuts, some coolant started dribbling out, so I opened the drain again to lower the coolant level.

Since the book (Chilton's) calls for 22 ft-lbs. on the intake nuts for the SOHC 2002 SL I felt the relative ease at removing the nuts in the middle and it was a bit harder on the edges, this is probably due to more heat concentration on the middle and less on the edges where the
    flexing of the metal is different (I suppose) so I tried not to over tighten and I followed the recommendation for tightening from the center and working outward.

After all of this, I started it up and all my codes disappeared! Now I can pass the smog!
    I'm in NYC right now. I'll send you after I get back to MA. I did the list to show only the necessary steps to do the operation. I logged the times for each step to demonstrate how excessive is Saturn's quoted 5 hour labor. If anyone else has the list I sent (I sent out to a couple of folks in this forum, please forward to the fellow in need. Keep in mind that the Hayne's manual and references to fuel rail is for those literally REMOVING the manifold. That is not what we are doing here for gasket change. A lot of steps are not needed. Do not remove the fuel rail from the manifold. Fuel rails goes along for the ride with the intake manifold while assembled together.

Draining antifreeze from the block is necessary, with draining the radiator also good idea, but not necessary. Just the block is necessary and there will be some leakage when separating the intake manifold from the head. The P0301 is 1st cyl misfire, so you have a bad leak at the passenger end of the manifold. P0507 is fast idle and loss of idle speed by black box. The leaked air got detected triggering more fuel flow and faster idle. When idle switch is enabled and engine rpm much above 750 rpm or so, P0507 will trigger.
    So it's been almost 5000 miles since I replaced the manifold gasket, and so far, not a single problem has risen. i've regularly checked around the intake manifold for any signs of leakage, besides the normal seaping from it being new, and nadda on both. I did however swap out a set of ignition coils and the module to help get a better spark since the repair, not out of necessity, but out of instinct, and had the old coils tested and as my instincts told me, the coils were degrading. I was told that is the only other problem with the Saturn SL series, and that it was a very common idea to just swap them out if they needed it or not to save in the future. Thanks again for the help guys.

Matt
    Your problem has been resolved by the gasket change. You can bet on that! There should be no seeping. Not sure if you meant you heard some. A good gasket is the case with most Japanese cars. Their gaskets last life of car. Ironically, only with the Saturn SL did I have to go through the labor of changing the intake manifold gasket! The other thing to look after is THE BATTERY. The OEM AC-Delco battery with side terminals is prone to LEAK. The Saturn SL uses a good inert plastic battery tray with 2 deep reservoirs to catch acid. Both got filled and started to fill up the tray. I lost all the acid above the side terminal in the first cell at the positive terminal. The acid dribbled on one hardware and dissolved it, and dribbled on the tranny oil filter. I found leak in time, but will change out tranny oil and filter. Had the tray been metal and/or not designed to catch and hold the 4-5 oz of acid that came out, I would be looking at serious damage to tranny connections, the entire solenoid panel for shifting, etc. Check your battery terminals. Top terminal are safer as they are above acid, but side terminals are below the battery acid head and will leak in time.
    luckily, the previous owner put a battery in with top terminals, and did it the day before I bought the car, thank god. The reason that I knew about the coils is from my mechanic, god rest him. He said that he had heard from enough people that Saturns built in, or maintained under warranty in Canada have bad coils, plug wires and ignition modules, and that they can be expensive, but that a quick $25 swap from a wrecker will fix most problems, so long as you pick one up from a 97-99 Saturn (canadian cars sometimes are very cheaply made and most often break down faster then their American built versions), mine being built mostly in Tennessee, but the electronics were swapped out in Oshawa Ontario during some dealer maintenance when the car was under warranty, using parts from the GM plant warehouse.
    Well, to update since my repair (last Sunday)....I was very pleased with how smoothly it was running again, not the constant putt-putt out the exhaust that I was hearing before. I also cleaned out the gas tank vent filter (not sure if there is a name for it)--driving 8-10 miles of chalky dirt road each day had caused it to totally cake up with dirt and prevent the vent from working properly.

The car ran two days without a code showing up and I thought all was well. Well, I took it on a road trip (>400miles) and a code showed up along the way. Autozone read the code as 0410--secondary intake system malfunction.

The other thing I'm having problems with now, is that it seems to have a significant loss of power--particularly when climing even the slightest of hills. At highway speed, I might lose 10 mph as the cruise tries to keep up. I also noticed significantly poorer gas mileage that what I've been getting for a long time. I was reading about 31-32 mpg, and usually it's 36-38. So, I'm assuming that I still have a significant issue--maybe O2 sensor, maybe just plugs/wires, or maybe bad compression from the leaking intake gasket that I negleted for a LONG time.

Anyway....I'll give it the plugs and wires when I return home and see how it goes.
    OK on the coils. I'll look into them. The other thing to prepare for based on my service log is P0442. Saturn's OEM gas cap for whatever reason, appears not to be impervious to gasoline. After just 5 years, the thick gasket looked like all littered with bicycle wheel spokes... that is, radial cracks all around the seal. The gasket rubber also became pretty hard. Both conditions contributed to failure to seal the filler neck. This is detected at P0442 within 30 seconds of starting the car when tank pressure change is measured over time based on how full gas tank is to determine P0442 trigger. It is possible that the enthanol additive to most gasoline was responsible to deterioration of the gas cap seal. Replacement was general quality replacement (does not have lanyard as with original cap): $12.
    I've got a couple hundred miles already and no problems with that pesky 507/301 problem thus far since I changed out the intake gasket on July 3rd.

I'm at over 108K miles on my 02 SL and today while at a drive-thru, I was fortunate to notice that my engine temp which normally rides a hair above 1/4 gauge was not only heading towards 3/4, but my A/C wasn't working, so I figured
    that the cooling fan probably bit the dust, so I had to alternate between running the car when I could move and turning it off when I was sitting idle behind stalled traffic.

The book says check thermostat, but I knew if that was the problem, I would not have been able to cool down the coolant temp by forcing air through the radiator by driving.

As I drove faster, the temp did go down and it went down to it's normal (fan working) temperature, I managed to get home
    tested the dead fan after checking the relays and lone 30amp
    fuse and it all led back to the dead fan motor reading around 114Kohms, like an open or blown fuse, fan diode is fine with 2.2Kohms in one direction and infinity reversed.

Taking the fan out was rather fast, the price for a replacement is as follows, Napa wanted $130 for an entire replacement assembly, Saturn was charging $104 for the fan motor and then I remembered a nice parts place that sold good parts for a reasonable price, (Parts +) and they had a couple in stock for under $35 including tax, what a bargain!

Installing it was easier than removing it and the A/C was restored and putting out really cool air again, oh and the engine was restored to non-overheated status, a minor side benefit.
    Unfortunately for SL, the A/C option does not have a separate fan along side "radiator" fan as in other cars, so when the only fan that doubles as A/C condenser fan fails, you get no backup of a second fan. Only point to note is that if you could stand the heat, just roll down the car windows, turn on the heat and you'll quickly control the temperature of the coolant using inside fan speed! As you have A/C, it would be necessary to remove the connector that runs the A/C compressor if you want to give yourself a break and operate heater in defroster mode. If done right, the heat coming out of base of windshield (defroster mode) pretty much goes over your head and out the windows. The SL energizes the A/C compressor when doing the defroster modes.
  • iamcluelessiamclueless Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 SL2 saturn that is pulling the same 410 code you had, when the light is on the car also runs rough and drinks gas like yours did. What did you ever find out to resolve that issue? Mine also says secondary air injection :confuse:
    I'm eagarly awaiting for feedback on 410 code. It is not listed in the Haynes Manual for Saturn S through '02. The '01 and '02 has no EGR, just sort-term air injection via DC blower. When that operates during first 1 minute (or less) at cold start, the solenoid on vacuum line is also operated to open the passage of the blower into the exhaust manifold. This heats up the catylst quickly and control bad emissions during this brief period. When blower stops, the vacuum line to the air valve is suppressed to prevent hot exhaust from coming back and melting the blower and other things. I can't see how secondary post-burn injection would cause the issues described. Code 410 likely somehow affects fuel mix, or some plugs are not firing. There is no secondary intake of air in the Saturn SL '01/'02.
    I think you're right, there's no indication that anything is wrong with the DC blower.

I've never been able to resolve the problem. The car runs great until it reaches operating temperature, then it's sluggish and stumbling on acceleration, and loses power on hills on the highway. I'm wondering if the coolant temp sensor could be bad and causing a problem with the fuel management.(I assume from my mileage and the appearance of my spark plugs that it's running rich).

Do you know what symptoms would show up with a bad temp sensor???
    I didn't realize the problem is still ongoing. It's not the coolant sensor. I'd bet on that. I bought extra one to put in my car because the suspicious one was impossible to measure when in the car. It was not expensive part. In the '01/'02 Saturn, the sensor you see under the top water hose at the block IS the coolant sensor AS WELL AS the sensor for feeding the temperature gauge. If the temperature gauge reads normally, don't bother with the coolant sensor. Running rich is a good clue moving on the problem. Are all the plugs same looking? I think 1-3 and 2-4 are paired on sparks. If all plugs look foul, then I would suspect over rich, vs. no-fire or misfire due to one coil pack going bad messing up the affected cylinders only. OK on highway and climbing issues... how's the hot idle? That could give it away too. Fact is, if idle is good, but highway and high demand conditions (hill climbing) are bad (i.e. higher performance conditions only), you may have insufficient fuel flow rather than spark problem. If it leans out and misburns, you will also get fouling, not due to over-rich mix, but rather unburnable mix. In sufficient fuel flow as in clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pump is what I'm saying. If a vacuum leak, it'll show up at idle. Vacuum problem not much of an issue when you open the throttle and bleed down the vacuum anyway, making leaks less important.
    I think you have some clues now to give it a whirl. As a quick painless test, don't overlook the simple PCV valve. It is reverse spring loaded to prevent flow during idle as PCV will mess up your idle, but it is to open at low vacuum conditions. If you have missing dipstick or other potential leaks, that could affect your open-throttle air mix. A simple test is to plug up the PCV connection and preclude any PCV action just to discard this possible problem.
    I did find code 410 for Saturn S. Code 410 is only for California SOHC and DOHC models. The code does mean secondary air injection issues, but as with all P-codes, they need to be filtered. The 410 code for the rest of us outside CA means that the exhaust is too rich as detected by the O2 sensor. We take this code 410 to mean "there is a problem upstream". The excessive unburned HCs in the exhaust may be due to improper burn (spark), or truly excessive fuel in the mix. Reduced gas economy does not necessarily equate to excessive richness. If the burn fails (like too lean), or there are spark problems, you end up pushing unburned gas out the exhaust and you make up for the loss of power by apply more gas and let try to get back needed engine output. You lose gas mileage due to unburned gas is all. The problem should be solvable, stepping our way there.
  • iamcluelessiamclueless Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your reply. I live in a small town and this issue has stumped our local mechanics, my closest dealer is over 100 miles away. I have replaced my plugs with new ones and have always run bosch 4 prong plugs as the car has always run better with these. I bought the car at 20,000 miles and now it has like 160,000 miles. I have replaced the fuel pump as well. When the light comes on the car has no power, runs real rough like skipping sounds like it wants to cut out and the fuel milage is terrible, if they clear the code sometimes it comes right back some times it will stay off for a few days. I am at lost as to how to stop the problem, my car does have a egr valve as well. I have tried different fuel treatments dont seem to help much. seems to have started after I bought some cheap gas at a station that contained ethanol. I just dont know what to do.
This discussion has been closed.