Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Plymouth Grand Voyager

eurogretzeurogretz Member Posts: 1
My transaxle ssems to have an issue. Perhaps someone can help. It will not go up hills or inclines nor will it it want to climb from a parked position on an incline. If it sit for a couple of hours its fine for a couple of tries then doesn't want to go up. It is fine on Flat surface roads/freeways and is fine in reverse on flat or inclined roadways. Fluid level is fine and clean. I had the system flushed in May, two bolts on the pan were recently loose, causing a leak and were re-tightend. Any ideas?

Comments

• buickboy92buickboy92 Member Posts: 19
    i like the van alot :)
  • buickboy92buickboy92 Member Posts: 19
    i found a 1998 Plymouth voyager for sale on ebay and it only had 29,128 miles on her and was only $7,000 so i might buy it as my next car. :shades:
  • charles23charles23 Member Posts: 5
    What price and mileage would you want to look for?

Thanks!
  • abdul54abdul54 Member Posts: 1
    hi I have this problem if some can help me, thanks
    I am loosing the water from the bottle near radiator, I have changed the whole radiator,and its hoses as well even the radiator cap changed as well aand i did not found any change in the engine oil color, also the belt changed and I removed the thermostat from the engine but the problem still,
    any help please
  • sadamsrnsadamsrn Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Had similar problem with a 99 G.V. with the 3.3 engine. Turned out to be a connector to a line that went to the rear heat system. $150.00 for the part. Spent $500.00 for that and other work back in Feb. 2 weeks later, someone cuts in front of my wife and van is totaled. (sorry about, needed to vent!)
    Anyway, help this helps. Good luck!
  • reslingresling Member Posts: 2
    Looking for TSB 2304402-dated Oct 14th, 2002
    regarding a fix/kit for repair of strut tower metal to solve premature rusting problem found on 1996-2000 model year minivans.
    Has anyone else dealt with this problem?
    Also NHTSA issued a bulletin # 1000317 on this problem
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    Edmunds frowns on recommending competing forums, but do an internet search (Allpar minivan) lots of info on strut tower rust there.
  • mmettsmmetts Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 grand voyager it seems lately that after awhile of driving and it is very warm out the van wouldn't start. My mechanic showed on how to start it under the hood by the relay switch I am wondering what could be wrong with it the mechanic told me it might be the ignition switch but it will be very expensive to fix. I don't want to fix it if that isn't the problem does anyone have any other ideas.

thanks
  • xrman55xrman55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Grand Voyager. Some time back, the finger grasp on the hood release broke. Since then, I've been using a channel lock to pull on the wire & trip the release. as you might suspect, the wire has become frayed & it has become almost impossible to open - not a good position to be in with a 12 y/o vehicle.

Is this a difficult fix? Are the parts available? Does it need to go to a dealer? I know that would be expensive. Any help would be appreciated.
  • edlawsonedlawson Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I have navigated the web for a replacement part with no avail. I would go to a dealer and ask them to order one for me but I retired and brought the 93 GV to Panama and there are no agencies here. If you find a place that has the handle please let me know to order it. If a Chrysler dealer can get you one please get me their email so I can order one myself.

Good luck!!

Ed
  • rgb4rgb4 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1992 plymouth grand voyager. Is there a relay or shut off for this vehicle? I'm not getting any fuel (tank is full)or do in-tank fuel pumps quit with out giving any kind of warning. Can a feul filter plug up w/out burning the pump up?
  • rgb4rgb4 Member Posts: 5
    If the Mechanic by-passed the relay to get it started, try replacing the relay. That happen to me but I had to replace the switch because it broke inside. But changing the switch didn't help. Still have same problem.
  • hmownerhmowner Member Posts: 23
    Any recommendation regarding when to replace the timing chain?

I have a '99 Grand Voyager with 105K miles. So far, the engine is smooth, and I haven't heard any abnormal noise from the engine. A quote from a dealer to replace the timing chain, water pump, and other belts is around $1000. I don't want to spend extra $$ for this van as I only expect it to last 2 more years at best.
  • intraspecintraspec Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1998 plymouth voyager and the transmission doesn't shift properly.

It shifts ok when taking off but once it goes through all the gears it will down shift and stay like that until I

come to a stop and then it starts all over again.

Sometimes it will shift normally while getting on the highway but then downshift and stay there

but then nothing it's like it's in neutral what can this be???
  • mackmackmackmack Member Posts: 1
    My van is a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager with 118,000 miles. It has a 3.3L engine with an automatic 3 speed transmission. The problem does not create any strange smell or sound. I have a minor oil leak from the pan gasket - unrelated to current problem. The problem is as follows: in March of 2007 we had the transmission fluid changed (completely a maintenance item, no problem existed at the time). Two days later on a family trip while traveling on the highway we noticed the transmission goes into limp mode (staying in second gear). Along with this was the "service engine soon" light. Have had the car looked at and no obvious cause and it appears that there are no mechanical problems. Recently within the last two months, this limp mode seems to be occurring more and more often. The limp mode condition is reset when the ignition is turned off and the car is restarted. November 4th, had error codes read from computer and they are P0700 and P1776. I would like any suggestion on what could be causing the problem. I am considering 4 possibilities: 1. wrong transmission fluid (at service they put in dextron plus additive), 2. one or both of the speed sensors, 3. transmission control module, 4. solenoid assembly. I am open to any and all considerations, thank you.
  • steven425steven425 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Plymouth grand Voyager with a 3.3 engine the problem I`m having is the lights on the wiper buttons the airconditioning button and the air recirc. buttons are flashing. I heard that there is a way to reset these so they wont flash anymore, any help would be appreciated.
  • ccreeknashccreeknash Member Posts: 1
    sorry to bother you but i have some of the same problems. did you get a response on this and i could use some help for the past 3 years i have had problems and spent between 800 and 1500 each time and it is killing me. and it still is not fixed. i even changed the entire transmission. still have the service engine light coming on with transmission codes.

thanks harris mueller
  • imprezaboyimprezaboy Member Posts: 1
    Hi i have a 99 voyager
    In the last 2 months when ever the weather got cold the transmission started to not work the it should when you put it in reverse and then go forward it just stalls you could be accelerating all you want and just sits there. So for now we reverse park onto the drive way so that we don't need to go backwards because it does go forwards at first but when you put it back to reverse and the engine is still cold it doesn't go forward until you put it in gear 1 or 2.
    Can someone please help me and tell me why this is happening?

Thanks.
  • lewparelllewparell Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 1994 grand voyager. how can i tell what options came with this van when it was new. woild you believe it only has 55000 miles on it and it is in mint shape.
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    What ever option you see and use on the van is the options. Do you feel like your missing one? Go to a carfax...maybe it'll list it on there.
  • lewparelllewparell Member Posts: 4
    what I am primary looking for is rather or not it has a tow package. i see ne hitch. how-ever does that mean that the van does not come with a beefed up suspension and a tranny cooler.
  • ptsourisptsouris Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1993 GV. the transmission all the more often gets locked into 2nd or 3rd gear and in order to reset it I must restart. My mechanic has already changed the shift solenoid twice to no avail. It seems to me this is some sort of electronic part gone bad but how do you find it out of so many? Does anybody have any suggestions on this problem?
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    1993 chrysler products are still OBD-1 what you are describing is called failsafe the A604 (41TE) transaxle has a high failure rate of input and output speed sensors and pigtails that plug into them what codes are being produced by the TCM? the transmission control module is separate from the pcm, the TCM connector is blue 6 pin connecter found under the dash to be able to help you, you will need to provide me the codes from the tcm .....
    Hey there, thank you for taking the time to post. I have brought the car to aamco now, so im hoping they can figure this out. When I did the key thing I got codes 12 and 21. The guy at aamco claims that the pcm will not talk to his diagnostic tools. I don't know if I mentioned this but the van besides going into limp, it also started running very rough as well. I don't know what will that turn out but I know I'm pretty scared because I have lost a car to electronic problems that nobody aould of figured out, and it did suck. Thank you again I'll keep you posted.
    aamco is our sister company normally if there is a no communication problem it will generally be a blown fuse not getting power somewhere needed.
    code 12 is Battery has been disconnected
    code 21 is overdrive hydraulic pressure switch circuit

possible defective solenoid block
    Thanks again,

The aamco guy gave up on it so I have it back. What's a solenoid block?(shift solenoid). I'm going to give the dealer a crack at it, see if he figures it out. If I have to I'll get organized and try to fix this myself. I'll keep you posted whatever happens.

Paul
    this trans has an external solenoid block that controls all shifting aspects of this transmission if you open the hood and may have to remove air intake you can look right down and see a 8 wire pigtail plugs into it. removal of the input speed sensor will be necessary to get the middle bolt of the solenoid block out
  • roberta1410roberta1410 Member Posts: 3
    I have a problem with the A/C. Sometimes I get cold air and other times I don't.
    Is there some kind on sensor that needs to be replaced? Any suggestions? It's getting hot in Texas . I'm on a fixed income and want to be able to talk to the mechanic intelligently. LOL
    I just picked up my minivan from the dealer. I drove it a good deal and it didn't go to limp mode. They probably fixed it. I won't know for sure until i drive it a couple of weeks. They rebuilt the transmission, changed the valve body and the torque converter. The job went for $2100. I'll keep you posted if this does not work either. If you don't hear from me , it's fixed. Thanks again for your input.
  • eagle_dadeagle_dad Member Posts: 2
    During last year's state inspection, I was told that I need to replace the headlight lenses on my 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager. However, when searching for replacement parts on the internet, I noticed they are sold with and without "QUAD LAMPS". How do I know if I need these "quad lamps"? As far as I know, the headlights are still working fine. Thanks!
  • deliafamilydeliafamily Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I was trying to find the NHTSA bulletin# 1000317 you speak of. I just filed a complaint with the NHTSA on this very thing. Since this was so long ago, you probably have already found out how to repair it. I found a very descriptive web site of what the problem is and how to fix it. The kit is sold by Chrysler. I just had it done on my 1997 Chrysler mini van for about $356.
    Thanks,
  • motherof3_1977motherof3_1977 Member Posts: 2
    Hi..Thanks for letting me join the forums here..I have been searching for an answer to whats wrong with my transmission. When you start out driving it..it shifts fine..then when the van gets about 20 miles or so down the road, and go to stop at like a stop sign and restart again..it will not shift out of 2nd gear and the rpms wont go down..the only thing that works (sometimes) is to stop the van and shut if off, and try again. It originally had the 3.8 big 6 cyl in it..but now has a 3.3, same tranny..dont know if that makes a difference. I've heard that it could be the solenoid pack..or the transmission control sensor...can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance..appreciate any answers
    take it to a local trans shop and have it scanned ...the 2nd gear issue is called failsafe the tcm has seen a problem and it could be minor but you need to get it scanned so you know what needs to be done to fix it (speed sensors(external)are common problems)
  • motherof3_1977motherof3_1977 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick reply :) The problem with taking it to a shop is that the nearest one to here is a 45 minute drive, and I dont want to hurt it lol..I could have it towed there, but it's 150.00$ to do so. Is there any way I can read the codes without getting it scanned? I can just buy the part I need online.

Thanks
    if you have a digital dash you may get lucky enough to be able to retrieve codes from the pcm ...very rapidly turn the key on 3 times then watch the odometer retrieve the codes and let me know what codes you got
  • garagemechanicgaragemechanic Member Posts: 3
    I recently replaced my timing cover and now car start idles great but when i went for test drive it lost power and car went dead had to jumper start to get going again.
    I have check the alternator and is working and keeping battery charged. Anyone have any idea's what i can check?

g.luna
  • shyvioletshyviolet Member Posts: 1
    Had the same problem with my 96 Grand Caravan, turned out to be the overdrive control module in the computer that controls the transmission. If you take it to a dealer, they will take the old module in trade which saves you LOTS of money...mine cost $175 parts, with 1 hr labor to fix...hope this helps!
  • garagemechanicgaragemechanic Member Posts: 3
    I ended uo having a dead battery replaced and now working fine w/o trble.

g luna
  • wheatskiwheatski Member Posts: 2
    My 99 Grd Voyager (3.0 3 spd w/ovrdrv) starts and runs but about jumps out of the vehicle and knocks like crazy and won't excelerate (rev up) - it just goes wwwhhhhaaaaaa and won't speed up. It's like it stays choked or overfueled or spark advance is stuck in full advance from start up. The only time it doesn't do this and comes out of it and runs normally is in the early morning when it's still cold (50 or below). Eventually it levels out and will excelerate fine and is drivable. But when I shut it off and then start it again or it's over 50 in the first place it never levels out and it won't even pull itself down the street. It's like when it's cold the the choking process or fuel mixture change for cold start kicks in and changes something so it works right. Otherwise, the "level out" process doesn't happen and it just won't run right. Since it works some of the time I don't suspect a sensor but that could be intermittant too. I suspect more some control that changes idle speed or fuel mix is malfunctioning when it gets a signal to change or the signal is never being sent. Or I have an intermittant problem in the computer!!!
    Anybody got any ideas?
    Thanks,
    wheatski
  • ronscpgvse00ronscpgvse00 Member Posts: 1
    I just found out my 2000 Grand Voyager SE has the strut tower rusting out really bad and I am wondering what web site that you found your information. I understand it is happening to a lot of the Dodge/Chrysler minivans but only on the drivers side. I think with how widespread this has become there should be a recall as this is a safety matter.
  • reslingresling Member Posts: 2
    They did not issue a recall, but Chrysler put together a kit to repair this problem, keeping it off the books. Contact your dealer, or regional service manager and push hard. The repair they did on mine was not satisfactory, it rode and sounded terrible. If not you may have to seek credit on a new vehicle. Improper drainage in the area leads to pooling of water on towers causing premature rusting & corrosion on the towers. This was a problem on the 98/99 thru next model changeover.
  • mattman88mattman88 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1994 Plymoth Grand Voyager LE that runs but cant get over 2300 - 2500 RPM without putting and acting like its not getting enough gas. There are no codes from the computer and I have changed the gas filter, coil, plugs and wires, a couple of the fuel injectors, air filter, and oil. Nothing made a difference on it. Any suggestions or advice would really help.
  • roberta1410roberta1410 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a problem with the oil pan plug weld breaking? I just had that done and I am trying to deal with the person that changed the oil the last time. Does this happen often. I have 127,000 miles on this vehicle. Just curious. I would really like to know so I have something to go on when I meet with these people.
    Thank you for you rhelp.
    Roberta
  • blue2004sxblue2004sx Member Posts: 18
    I have a 99 grand voyager that needs new headlight bulbs and having difficulty trying to pry the old ones out to get them replaced. Has anyone done this before?
    Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.
  • fredm1130fredm1130 Member Posts: 6
    sorry shipo , this is the only way i know how to get ahold of you as i am new here. But the info you gave me about my flashing lighs on my dash ,,,, 98 plymouth voyager. IT WORKED AWSOME, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FRED :)
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    catalytic converter is most likely the problem
  • pagimenopagimeno Member Posts: 5
    I used to have the same problem with mine. Do you warm up the vehicle before you leave? maybe that's the reason.....I mean, that's what I did to solve it, warm up the engine for at least 15 mins.....

Hope it helps...
  • pagimenopagimeno Member Posts: 5
    changing the timing chain is always good, but i don't think is necessary NOW, considering you only have 105k miles.... and when you start hearing a noise like a little bell coming down the hood means you need a new water pump. All those vans need the water pump change after a while....but you will clearly hear the noise....
  • mrhat15mrhat15 Member Posts: 1
    My Van was tested four times over 3 month period. The first read my O2 sensor in BANK #2 was oxygen strong, 2nd test was normal, 3rd test O2 sensor was going bad and 4th test was normal. Then the problem started again,my Van wont run when its 50 degress or warmer outside. It willstart up when its cold and stay running for about 20-30 minutes and then it starts stalling. I have replaced the coil-ignition, spark plugs and spark plug wires, distributor (all of it), battery, test the alternator it was good. I have ask alot of people no one knows for sure. I think it could be a number of things, I was hoping someone has seen this problem before and could HELP Thank You for any ones time. Josh