Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• theyemantheyeman Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about purchasing a Forrester, bUT have concerns about size. is the back seat comfortable for 2 people? leg room? how about truck space? roomy or not. I was also thinking about purchasing a grand cherokee because of the size difference. please convince otherwise, is the Forrester good in snow or just ok. LOTS OF QUESTIONS

thanks
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    over in the new Model Forum, so I won't repeat them here, other than to say, I think it is a much better looking car than the current one. I really like the rear end styling, and yes I did notice the lack of a hatch keyhole.

Bob
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I KNOW the back seat is cramped because I've sat in one. Terrible legroom. And I'm not even a big guy. I've never driven one in snow but based on the fact it is full-time AWD with LSD on the rear, it should be plenty good in snow. And many Forester owners have posted glowing testimonials here on the snow performance.
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    Great scoop! My first impression ramble:
    Looks more agressive, pulled together. An effort to attract more male buyers?... Overall more fitting for the Forester's niche at performance/sport wagon end of the small SUV spectrum. My '99 looks sort of cute and cuddly by comparison. I like the front view better than the rear picture. The rear has hints of small Volvo mixed with '80s VW wagon... '03 seems to have higher ground clearance. Tires look narrower, rear overhang shorter. Don't know how much of this is just the photo. I too hope 2.5 XS means eXtra Strength.

What would really make me yearn for the '03 would be roomier more comfortable rear seating and even livelier handling and performance. In short, improvements that don't compromise the already delightful character and personality of the Forester. Looks like they may have succeeded.

Looking forward to the next wave of information,

John
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Kudos on the scoop!! Juice and Bob- how could you let this happen ;-)

First impression is favorable... I'm off to the future models topic....

-Frank P.
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Without a keyhole and an apparent handle (the indentation below the "BA" in Subaru looks more like the lighting for the tags rather than a hidden handle but I don't know), I'd suspect that when the hatch release function is activated (either from the remote or inside the car), the hatch may pop up a few inches in order to reach down and pull it open from the outter edge (or maybe some kind of handle from the interior of the hatch itself). Wouldn't the handle being located in the indention under the "BA" be an awkward position to pull open the hatch?

--'rocco
    I checked that very same site 3 or 4 times today, and they weren't there! They must have put those photos up when I went to dinner...

I come back after dinner, and there they are... It's a conspiracy!

Bob
    the hatch release handle is under that black license plate lip.

Like the Acura RSX, I'm sure that when you unlock the doors, the hatch also unlocks; and the reverse is true when you lock the doors.

Bob
    that Subaru decided to include "2.5" with the "XS." Subaru usually only makes reference to the engine displacement within model designation if there are two (or more) engine offerings. They could very well tipping their hand for '04 with this badging.

I also noticed a smaller rear middle headrest, like this year's Outbacks and Legacys. I hope they keep the leather seats an option.

I used to refer to the current Forester as being the offspring of an SUV and a California Low-Rider. I don't feel that way about the new model—which is good.

Bob
    Bob-- Okay, now that I look at it again, the position of the "hidden" handle is not as awkward as I first thought. But can both the handle and the tag lights be located in that indention?

--'rocco
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    For me, the best view of the '03 would be straight on the back end. Right smart. On 3/4 view from the rear, it looks like the designer of the tail lights never met the designer of the side panels between the back of the wheel well and the light.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Bob,

Good catch on the 2.5 designation. I agree that this may be a sign of more engine variations to come.

Ken
  • rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    Design is nice.. but not earth shattering (IMHO). Not worth a long trip to an auto show to view. Think I'd wait and see if they give me more horsepower else.. I will be driving a WRX wagon (5 speed, silver) next year.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    They definitely managed to get rid of that flat-sided, bus-like look (VW 411?) by changing the window panels, making the sides bulge out slightly, and by emphasizing the fender flares. I like what I see, perhaps with the exception of the horizontal kink above the front fender - we didn't really need that to pronounce "this is a Subaru".

Somehow the clearance does look better, so I am hopeful that they again found a good compromise between handling and clearance. For some reason the tires still do look small on the car - I was hoping for one size up. Still, it may have the 225/60R16 of the Baja. If so, it will also fit a P225/55R17 or perhaps even a P235/55R17.

N o w _ I _ n e e d _ t o _ s e e _ t h e _ s p e c s ! Please, not the same we have seen for years and again for the Baja (as far as the engine is concerned).

- D.
  • nickm1nickm1 Member Posts: 2
    The rumor I heard was the 2004 forester was to get a turbo. This good for power etc. but when it come to doing maintenance the $$ go up.
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    I can't believe we haven't yet heard from Juice. He's normally right in the thick of things especially a new Forester.
    I hope he's not out looking at CRV.s or ???
  • rsheldon1rsheldon1 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 Forester that just turned 30,000 miles and just recently I noticed a engine noise when I start the car. This noise is quite loud and it only acts up when the car is cold and at times it takes ten minutes for it to quiet. Once the car has been warmed, subsequent starts are quiet. It sounds like a clattering noise so I am sure it is in the valve train somewhere and at higher RPM's it is not so pronounced. What a disappointment as I have been absolutely faithful with the maintenance of this vehicle and I change the oil EVERY 3000 miles using a semi-synthetic oil. The car goes into the dealer Monday and I am not looking forward to these upcoming battles with the service people.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    In cold weather all subarus exhibit this behavior. I haven't heard your particular problem, but IMHO it is and will be deemed "Normal" Having at least 5 subarus in my family ranging from 88->02 I can tell you in the cold there is valve clatter.

-mike
    The pics came out after he left for the day, and he doesn't usually login at night from home. He'll be on here today chatting it up I'm sure.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You betcha! I was out yesterday, but I'm back and ready to share my thoughts. Honda would need a 5 year warranty and full-time AWD for me to seriously consider a CR-V.

2003 Forester: overall, I like it. Thumbs up. The original was very conservative, so the new one modernizes the look but is still recognizable. I like a lot of the subtle details.

Some impressions:

* I love the new flares, how they flow into the doors and hatch
    * nice D-pillar, looks like the Lexus GX470
    * look inside the headlights, and I like the various lights
    * grille fits with Legacy family look
    * I prefer the round fogs, but they are too recessed IMHO
    * love the new hatch, my old one looks droopy compared to it
    * note how the D-pillar matches the hatch, subtle but it does tie the look together
    * have I mentioned how I love the flares? :-)
    * the rear flare resembles the Baja's minus the cladding
    * roof rack is better incorporated
    * suspension got a major lift - 2" or more
    * the whole look is "lifted", no longer a tall wagon, now more of an SUV, and a sporty one

Thumbs up. I hope it's roomier and the turbo really does come. I'll be very tempted to wait to get one for my wife.

-juice
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    My '02 S+ is 6 weeks old (3.5K). Have had a similar noise on several occasions...cold start up, for about 10 minutes. I thought noise was from alternator and/or fan belt area. This is my 3rd Subaru ( currently also have 2000 Outback Ltd.) never had this problem previously.

Dealer checked out, of course could not duplicate
    ...did not mention this was a common problem.

rsheldon1 pls let me know outcome.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Jerry
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    A friend of mine was taking his 01 GT in service on Monday to have cam belt tensioner replaced because of this noise. He described the noise as similar to valve clatter. I should see him next week-end and I'll let you know.
    My Miata clatters a little until it warms up, but not for 10 minutes. Our 626 is very loud, too. My Forester is newer than our Mazdas, but doesn't make much noise at all.

Now I want to replace that 626 with a 2004 Forester turbo! :-)

-juice
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    gotta agree with ya, juice.....the flares are (as my son would say) sweeeeet! overall look is much more finished or tied together & like the higher profile as well.......hard to tell without a side view if we get any more back seat room but lets hope so. rear view is most successfull....they lost the frumpiness of the 1st gen. (hint of Suzuki Aerio in the tailgate) Front end is less successfull IMHO......grill/headlight combo had me thinking Hyundai Elantra for some reason.
    But, overall, a big thumbs up.
    The front and sides are "okay" (certainly much better than the current model), but the rear is "excellent."

Bob
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Let's hope they give the new Forester enough power that the rear view is the one most drivers will see. :-}
    I totally agree, the current rear has a low rear window that is functional for visibility but does look a bit frumpy. The 2001 update helped a little, but the 2003 has a much better stance. It's uplifted, agressive, stylish.

I see the front photo and say "not bad", a little too much resemblence to the Elantra. The rear photo makes it look very avant-garde, with a rear from the Suzuki SX concept and the rear 1/4 from the Lexus GX 470.

But when you look at the rear hatch and the D-pillar together, it comes together nicely, if subtlely.

It's got to have power, please! When the 1998 Forester came out, my alternatives were the RAV4 and CR-V, each with less than 130hp. The Forester has 165! Wow, I said.

But now the CR-V is at 160, Hyundai has more, and Ford has more (I'm only considering car-based competitors). So 165hp is closer to the entry-level than it is to leading the class. Add the extra weight it'll surely gain, and it's no longer the leader like it was before.

So I hope the 2.5l gets at least 170hp, and next year's turbo breaks the magical 200 mark, to lead the (car-based) sport/cutes once again.

If so, it's very likely my wife will park a 2004 next to my 1998.

-juice
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Like the tapered look too....I'm sure this improves aerodynamics and is probably one reason gas mileage is supposed to be improved. If the engine is more powerful and more fuel-efficient to boot, then Subaru has really done a nice job.
    That is why I say it looks more wagon than SUV. An SUV is supposed to be boxy or else you loose the U part of SUV. :(

-mike
    I'm sure the cold startup noise is harmless valve chatter, but the dealer should have left it overnight to duplicate properly. If you're concerned, I'd ask them to try one more time, but to listen to it first thing in the morning. The best thing is to actually be there with the service guy when they are listening for it.

Ken
    I bet the cargo area is still pretty boxy. The Axiom appears to be tapered, yet cargo room is still quite good. I think the rear-most portion of the Forester is maybe only an inch lower than the highest point, and if it's an inch taller than before there will be no loss in cargo area height.

Part of this is an illusion created by the upswept lower window line. Notice how it sweeps up and makes the rear windows smaller.

OK, so give us a 175hp AVCS engine with EPA ratings of 23/28 for the auto and 22/29 for the manual. :-)

-juice
    The Axiom I found to be not as cavernous as I'd like :) But you know me, I like everything boxy! :)

-mike
    I must say, the new 2003 Forester look is growing on me. The more I look at the jpeg, the more I like it. I think Subaru did a good job in refreshing it without going overboard.

The new 'flowing' blisters are nice; front and back.

Anyone notice that there is a new "AWD" badge on the C pillar. No more having to worry about getting a new decal when you tint your windows!

Ken
    Bob pointed out to me that the rear blisters on the current model flow all the way back. Look at how they start, though, they go up, then back. Plus, they blister outward.

The new ones blister inward, then have flares that bulge out below those. I like both, but I prefer the front of the new one, which flows all the way back into the door. Nice.

-juice
  • declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    I am not in favor of the tapered rear--still fond of my 2000 "square back." I was able to get a 32" tv into my forester w/o removing it from the box (tight fit but it went in). I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to replicate that again with the 2003.

Nice to see that the gas tank lid has a remote lock/unlock device.

Bob: I just looked on the Balt. Conv. Cnt web site and they list the opening time as 10 a.m. for Thursday. I just may get there around 11 a.m.

Michael
    I bet the cargo capacity is no less than ours. I hope so.

-juice
    If that's the case, do you still want to hook up? I can't make it that early. I'm guessing the earliest I can make it there is around 12:45.

Give me a call, or e-mail me.

Bob
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    this site, news release from Yahoo. It has some interior changes listed but so far it dosen't seem they increased the rear leg room.....

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020206/phw002_1.html
    No mention of any power increase. :(

Bob
    Anyone catch the line in the article that says:

On models equipped with the five- speed manual transmission, the Subaru Hill Holder clutch helps make starting off on an incline easier and safer

Ken
    Bob, ya beat me!

Ken
  • chief1989chief1989 Member Posts: 19
    Says all are the 165HP! Does this mean same for Legacy? Where's the Turbo?????

Jim
    That's because you're on the west coast and I'm on the east coast. You're just in a different time zone. ;)

Bob
    Base "X" model still stays with steel. I bet they all wear the same rubber now.

Bob
    no great changes under the skin. However, the improvements are definitely worthwhile.

We need specs and interior photos!

Bob
    LOL, Bob. I think it's because I made my post prettier. ;-)

Sounds like the Forester is getting larger brake rotors too. I betcha they're the OB/WRX rotors now that 16" wheels are standard.

Ken
    if the inclusion of the "Hill-Holder" clutch is one of the eight items Pattie said that we (the Crew) influenced? I know we campaigned hard for that one a while back. And if so, I wonder what the other items were too?

Bob
    is new to the Forester.

Bob
    on XS models. This is new.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.