Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Also, EBD. Anyone know what this is?

Ken
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Electronic Brake Distribution. It's only on the XS model.

Bob
  • jredelenjredelen Member Posts: 3
    Don't know much about chat rooms, so I hope I'm doing this right. I am seriously considering buying a 2002 Forester and noticed that several people talked about the 2003. Can someone please tell me how I can see it. Thanks.
  • peterson10peterson10 Member Posts: 116
    Wouldn't ya know it, for some reason when I go to the link to see the 03 Forester my screen freezes up; new contours? fender flares? Hill-holder? Is this some sort of cruel test or something. HELP: someone please post an image.
    Desperate Dave
    These are high-res images. You may have to allocate more memory to your Internet program.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wow, a few bits of bad news:

* no power increase (yet)
    * new suspensions tuning probably means 4 struts

But more good news:

* keyless now standardd
    * CD player std
    * var. int. wipers std
    * 16" rims std (big plus!)
    * bigger front brakes
    * Hill Holder

That's good. The 16" rims and the Hill Holder are the biggest news, but it looks like content will continue to be a very strong point.

-juice
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    So what we're seeing so far includes (and this is not an exhaustive list):

Updated styling
    A more rigid structure
    16" wheels for all models
    Larger front brake rotors
    Same 2.5 165hp engine
    Hill holder clutch
    Head protection airbags for the front passengers
    Some kind of whiplash protection (?) for front passengers
    Front seat belt pretensioners
    Electronic Brake Distribution
    Keyless standard
    CD player standard
    Variable intermittent wipers standard

What else?
    for 5-speed lovers.

Don't know any size specs. Wheelbase? Length? Width? Interior, etc.?

Bob
    I think the pre-tensioners are already in place, since 2001 IIRC?

-juice
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Has anybody else noticed the absence of the word "Moonroof" on the equipment list? I don't recall seeing it in the pictures either. I'm stuck here in 56k land or I'd go take another look. I don't recall seeing it.

I sure hope this isn't gonna be another "moonroof available in next years model" Subaru deals. They did that on the orig. Forester and now on the WRX.
    - Hutch
    There is a moonroof on the XS with Premium package. Just like this year, the Premium Package offers a moonroof and monochromatic paint treatment. It's listed in the press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020206/phw002_1.html

Bob
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    From what I saw in the Subaru website for the 2002 Forester, they list only force limiters for the front seats, not pretensioners. Which is kinda odd since you usually use force limiters when you have pretensioners. Go figure.

Whereas on a model like the Legacy Limited Sedan, they specifically state pretensioners and force limiters.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Personally I can't/won't get excited unless they have increased rear seat room.
  • ochsskochssk Member Posts: 52
    try this link for an exterior photo

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38221

• artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    juice, did you check out that latest p.r....says the new forester weighs 90lb LESS!....no change in dimensions but more interior (hope that means backseat) room.
    Bob .. thanks for straighting me out. I'll go take a prozac or two. LOL

Juice - according to the above article there is a 90lb weight reduction. Put a turbo on that ...

Hutch
    Man you gotta be quick around here .....
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    At least those fearing increased weight with no added hp can relax, given the aluminum hood contributes to a 90-lb reduction in overall weight.
    Man, I just can't help thinking how much better the front would look if that grill were rotated 180 degrees - wide part on top.
    Darn right I'm excited, we've waited to see this a loooong time! :-)

I think the 2.6X is a typo, but Bob was asking for more displacement! ;-)

90 pounds less!? OK, now I'm impressed, are they serious? The Impreza gained something like 100-150 pounds! I expected the opposite! You'll recall I was hoping it would not gain too much weight!

I'm sure you'll be able to order any number of very cool grilles from the JDM models. But at least the basic grille isn't full of chrome.

-juice
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I agree with joesph50. I thought the same thing about the Legacy (and the Windstar of a couple years back) I guess the "powers that be" think that an angry face is more in appealing to market segment that they hope to reach.
    With no increase in exterior dimensions, it is doubtful there will be any meaningful increase in rear seat room. I assume the Forester is still going to be based on the Imprezza platform, rather than the Legacy platform.

Ground clearance looks like has been increased with the suspension jacked up slightly, but the overall shape still suggests wagon rather than SUV, IMHO.
    'Appreciate your agreement. Actually I wasn't thinking "happy" vs. "angry", but rather a way to even further the integralness and "pulled togetherness" of the overall design that others have astutely commented on. Someone nailed early teaser sketches as the "large-mouth bass" edition. That was all too accurate {shudder}, and Subaru shouldn't even go near there.
    According to a website in Japan, the new Forester interior increases 40mm in length and 20mm in width. That's got to translate into some increase in legroom. Even 1" makes a noticable difference.

Ken
    Now that I think back to the sketches, I like the production version more than any sketch I can recall. The large mouth bass, the headlight-onto-the-hood XTrail clone, and the Mag-X (most accurate IMHO).

-juice
    Which is it, Ken? ;-)

In future models you said it was about the same length. 40mm is about 1.6". Give it 1.6" more rear seat room and the problem is solved.

-juice
    Did I contradict myself somewhere? Okay, for the record, one more time:

Exterior length increased by 10mm.
    Interior length increased by 40mm.
    Interior width increased by 20mm.

Basically, they carved out more room inside without changing the overall size.

Ken
    OK, I read that wrong.

How can they increase interior length without increasing exterior length?

I guess the hood is shorter?

If they gain 40mm, they could move the front seat forwards by that much, and give us an extra 1.6" in the back. That would solve it.

-juice
  • rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    If the legroom is cramped in the Forester and you're looking at a Jeep, I'd also look at the Honda CRV. The rear seats can slide forward and back some. And it's a little bigger than the Forester but not much smaller than the Jeep. I don't think the Jeep reliability is that great.
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    I don't know if you folks have discussed this already or not (don't have time right now to scroll back) but I notice that a new "electronic control panel" for the HVAC controls will be standard. Obviously, this doesn't mean true electronic climate control but I'm encouraged that they're moving to electronic controls as opposed to the stiff direct cable type set-up currently in use which makes it feel like it belongs in some low-end economy car.

--'rocco
    for those metriclly-challanged:

40mm = roughly 1 5/8"

20mm = roughly 13/16"

10mm = roughly 7/16"

Bob
    "Now that I think back to the sketches, I like the production version more than any sketch I can recall. The large mouth bass, the headlight-onto-the-hood XTrail clone, and the Mag-X (most accurate IMHO).

-juice"

I totally agree that the production version revealed itself as better than any of those teaser sketches.
    Conclusion, IMHO: the overall impression can be more aptly described as a relief rather than a rush.
    You're metrically-challenged, Bob :))

40 mm = 1.57 inches
    20 mm = .79 inches
    10 mm = .39 inches

you have longer inches than the rest of us. That's great with the women but not with cars :o

Just for comparison and discussion, if we were to assume all 40 additional mm gets added to the rear seat, that would put the rear seat legroom at 888 mm. As a point of reference, the '02 CR-V has 1000 mm of rear legroom. The '01 CR-V has 936 mm.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Funny, I like manual ones far better. I like to keep my cars for 200K+ miles and those little electronic gadgets are the first to go. With that said, my XT6 (both) have electronic controls of the HVAC on the pods, and they still work w/o a problem after 14 years.

-mike
    Not only am I metrically-challenged, I can't spell either ("metriclly-challanged")... No wonder I went into the arts for a profession. ;)

Bob
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Looks like they copied Tribute's tail lights.
    I don't see hinges for the hatch window.

When does it go on sale ?
    Did I miss something????

...and Mike, I like 'em, gives the controls a more classy feel IMHO and might even "improve" their longevity. I too have had them on other cars with no long-term problems. But I know you always have to disagree with me :p

--'rocco
    I just like KISS is all.

For long term reliability KISS can't be beat. :)

I'm worried that my Trooper's controls won't last as long as my manual Rodeo ones :(

-mike
    oops sorry: X will have an electronic control panel and the XS will have full automatic climate control.

IMO, I still think electronic controls make sense ...but that's just me, I guess

And OK, I'm naive --KISS = ?

--'rocco
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    One of the great organizing principles of life: Keep It Simple, Stupid! I shocked the pretty saleslady when I bought my minivan by saying I regretted getting power windows. Today the passenger window won't move and the driver window is so slow in winter I have to assist it by hand. Not a problem with manual windows.

I don't trust those electric starters either, but it is such a hassle getting out with the crank to turn the engine. :-}
  • felch1felch1 Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2002 Forester S
    I had the dog barrier put in which has two brackets. After realizing that the barrier is not exactly what I need, I want to take the brackets out of the ceiling. Before I start to pull on these things and probably break something, does anyone know how to get them out?
    Thanks
    sheesh, I have heard of and do know that expression ...I don't know why it didn't dawn on me as I read Mike's dialog. Thanx, Steve!

But *lol* as you implied, technology keeps progressing and along with it so does its reliability. If not, instead of writing this message to you here, I'd be on my way to the post office and the pony express would eventually get it to you days from now :>

--'skooper
    Tis true Rocco.

-mike
  • chief1989chief1989 Member Posts: 19
    Well, after thinking long and hard using my brain to the maximum capacity, I have finally came to the conclusion (read-my wife said) that we are getting a Forester. Now that I have used all my brain power, I could use some help in deciding on which one to buy. The 2002 or 2003? If it were you, what would you do?

P.S. Of course it will be the one loaded with everything including leather.

Thanks,

Jim
    I'd wait and see what the 2003 looks/feels/handles like in 3D live format before making a decision of 02 v. 03

-mike
    The Detroit News article on the new Forester states 165 hp / 199 lb-ft of torque....is that a typo, or did the engine really jump from 166 to 199 lb-ft?

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/detnews/?tf=/index.tmpl&act=display&srv=parser&sf=/default_frameset.tmpl
  • speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    LOL, when I read paisan's post about him liking KISS, and nothing beating that for reliability, I was a bit puzzled how Gene Simmons and crew could be dubbed 'reliable'. The next couple of posts brought me back into reality.

My driver's ed teacher in high school was a 60-year old ex-Marine, KISS used to be his credo too.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    This seems obvious, chief1989, but paisan's advice to wait a couple of months is sound. See how the new one handles, etc. Plus we don't have prices, just the earnest prose from SOA about how they are offering so much content at a bargain. I'd be surprised if the new Forester disappoints in a test drive, based on how much carries over from a great car.

FWIW, my new dream car--pending testing, etc--is the 2003 XS.
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    According to the SOA release posted by Dave (in Future Models)

http://www.subaru.com/home/news/press_result.asp?inc=1&page=1

the 2003 has 166 lb.-ft, not 199. :-(

I noticed that with all the details mentioned, there was no indication of greater rear leg room. While this is of no moment to me, I am greatly surprised.

Ross

If I had to choose right now and price wasn't an issue, I'd go for the 2003. Why? The 2003 is an evolutionary change -- new sheetmetal, slighlty tweaked suspension, same engine and drivetrain. I'd expect it to handle and perform as well as the 2002, if not better.

Ken
    .....oh well, at least weight is less, so performance should be as good, or better.
    While no specifics have been mentioned about rear-seat room, there have been generalizations about more interior room, so I remain hopefull.
This discussion has been closed.