Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Towing

hil29hil29 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Jeep
I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, manual 4wd and recently purchased a boat. Weight with trailer and boat is 3000lbs. I am trying to decide if I should get a hitch put on my jeep to tow the boat or not. I would only be towing it 10-15 miles from my house on all flat roads (I live on the coast of NC) NEVER on the hightway or on long trips. Does anyone have experience with towing a boat with a wrangler. Recommendations? How does it perform on the boat ramp (backing boat in and pulling it out)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, manual 4wd and recently purchased a boat. Weight with trailer and boat is 3000lbs. I am trying to decide if I should get a hitch put on my jeep to tow the boat or not. I would only be towing it 10-15 miles from my house on all flat roads (I live on the coast of NC) NEVER on the hightway or on long trips. Does anyone have experience with towing a boat with a wrangler. Recommendations? How does it perform on the boat ramp (backing boat in and pulling it out)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

DC's recommendations for towing are based on wheelbase and lawyers rather than the capability of the engine, transmission, and brakes. However, while I can tell you what I do, don't take it as a recommendation.

I regularly tow a little over 3K lbs, mostly on the flat, and sometimes it's a boat. As long as I make full allowance for the fact that the trailer is there, especially in the wet or in traffic, I have no problems. Boat ramps are no problem either, though it's sensible to engage 4WD even if the ramp is dry.

However, one item that is essential IMHO, is a transmission cooler if you have an auto, though I know that doesn't apply to you.

As an alternative to a bolt-on hitch you might want to look at a replacement bumper with an integral hitch. Costs more but doesn't compromise ground clearance so much.

Finally, as with any vehicle, if you get salt water on it, get it washed down as soon as possible.
  • rowland08rowland08 Member Posts: 7
    I have 1999 Wrangler with tow hitch and pull around 3000lbs 20foot Center Console with it. I tow it around town but we don't use a boat ramp so i can't help you with that. But the jeep can handle the weight, doing it well depends on your driving. I don't think you'll have a problem but i'll also recommend engaging 4wd.
    ........but i'll also recommend engaging 4wd.

That would be just on the boat ramp, right? :shades:
  • rowland08rowland08 Member Posts: 7
    Yes on the boat ramp. If it is raining, i would use 4x4, but if you only travel across flat roads you shouldn't need to engage it just to pull the load.
  • beej3beej3 Member Posts: 2
    i am a senior citizen Betty Jane) with a red
    2000 Jeep Wrangler and loving it.

i hope you can point me in the right direction with my problem - - Please.

just buying a used sunfish sail boat(only 130 pounds) with a trailer -- but have to get a hitch on the Jeep. and i got a feeling i dont have to spend the "$300" to get a new hitch.

do you have any advice - - or a contact in NY or CT . i'm in western Connecticut.

Waiting to hear,

BJ
    No contacts, but it shouldn't be too hard to use Yellow Pages to shop around. $300 does sound a little high, but I don't know what the labor rates are up there. I know 'U-Haul' fit hitches at a resonable price around here.
  • beej3beej3 Member Posts: 2
    thanks mac24,

good call, i did end up at a Uhaul- and its gonna run
    around $210.

beej
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I used to have a Sunfish. What FUN!! :D
  • lildavidjaxlildavidjax Member Posts: 68
    I am contemplating towing a 92 Jeep Wrangler approx
    2000 miles,4WD manual transmission. Any tips? All
    replies appreciated, any info on towing with a tow bar,or a tow dolly would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance! David
  • britt22britt22 Member Posts: 17
    We are contemplating the purchase of an '07 Unlimited with the tow package installed, and Jeep states that it's tow capacity as outfitted will be 3,500 lbs.

What I am wondering is if anyone knows how well the Unlimited will ACTUALLY tow 3,500 lbs? Our Fleetwood Pop up weighs exactly 3,500 prior to any sleeping bags, etc. Am I just wishfully thinking that the Unlimited can indeed tow it's max plus a bit more - especially in Washington State where there are definite uphill grades???? Any insight and or recommendations would be more than appreciated.

Jeep Service Dept. says Yes - but, I am still a bit weary - but so love the Unlimited. Just have to know if it is possible and not going to be totally problamatic to the engine, etc.
    Thanks!
    Help -
    I am currently considering purchasing an '07 Jeep Unlimited 4x4 with tow package for a tow capacity of 3,500 lbs.

We would be towing a boat/trailer dry of 2,000 lb.s

First question - I really would like this Jeep to be manual, but my husband says we are nuts to tow with a manual. He definitely wants it to be an automatic. I am curious to know what other more "seasoned" towers would say - stick with an automatic only? Or, are there any benefits to towing with a manual?

Second question - the sales person said a manual would give you more "torque" for towing - is this true?

And last, anyone have input or opinion to the '07 Jeep Unlimited for towing - good or bad??

ALSO totally meant to ask pro's vs. con's of a manual vs. automatic on a boat ramp getting boat in and out.

Better to stick with automatic??? or, manual ????

Again - I am all ears to opinions, experiences, recommendations, etc, etc...... ???

ASAP if at all possible. Looking to buy/order an '07 Jeep Unlimited very, very soon here. Just don't know which to choose - if either?? Thanks!!!
  • wendysingerwendysinger Member Posts: 18
    Hello...This is my first post. I'm happy to report that you CAN tow very well with an Unlimited. I/We just pulled a 18.5 ft. ultralite tandem axle with my 06 Unlimited (4" lift, 33's, manual trans). We installed a Prodigy digital brake control and used sway bars, etc. The Jeep was very stable, no loss of control. Although, the inline 6 did not accelerate well, it was slow and steady, probably would be faster without the large tires. However, I must say that our trailer is an Eco Ultralite and only has an unloaded vehicle weight of 2974 and I will definitely be packing light for our trips. Anything heaver than that and we'll barely creep up any hills.
    Thanks for such a detailed report.

One more question - do you have an automatic or a manual Unlimited? I am assuming you have the 4 door with tow package installed, correct?
    My Jeep is the 6 speed manual. The 2006 only came in 2 door; 4 doors only came out in '07. I don't have the manufacturer tow package. My hitch, bumper, trailer wiring and electronic trailer brake control are all aftermarket. Another thing...if you have an automatic, make sure you have a tranny cooler (automatic transmission cooler). If your Jeep has the tow package, you should have one already in your Jeep; it will keep your vehicle from overheating when towing the additional load. Since I have a manual transmission I don't need one. Some people also recommend an engine oil cooler...just a thought.
  • shannorkshannork Member Posts: 3
    I have an '02 Wranger X and recently called a dealership to get a quote on getting a hitch installed --- about $550. I don't know how on God's green earth they can charge that, but obviously I'm not going that route.

I will have an 18' foot boat this spring, about 2800 lbs total gross weight. I'm thinking about buying a $100-150 hitch from JCWhitney and installing it myself. Anybody have experience doing this?

I don't have a garage, so I have limited space to do this. I'm also concerned about the electrical wiring, how difficult is that to set up?

-Ryan
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Your concern shouldn't be the hitch, it should be that you are wanting to tow 2800 lbs on a frame/style rated at 1500 max or so.

The Tj's short wheel base could EASILY have the tail wagging the dog if you're towing a 2800 lb boat. The longer wheelbase TJ (aka the LJ) Unlimiteds have a higher tow rating.

As for the wiring, it is easy if you get a Jeep/Wrangler-specific harness setup from your favorite autopart store.

-Paul
    Check that.... I had a typo. Gross weight of boat/trailer is 1800 lbs. A 2800 lb 18' boat would probably sink in water.

I was wondering how troublesome the installation of the hitch is also? In addition, have there been significant clearance troubles with an aftermarket hitch installed instead of an integrated bumper hitch that should sway my decision one way or another?
    1800 to 2800 is a small typo, but the change is HUGE. :)

1800 is still pushing it a bit, so be VERY wary if you attempt this. I personally opted for a hitch integrated into my aftermarket bumper. BUT it is not legally/officially tow rated - more for recovery. But I have towed a lengthy trailer full of wood flooring with no problems. I only have the 2.5L engine, so I know I won't be towing anything CLOSE to 1500 lbs. :) I don't know of any of the aftermarket bumper makers that will state a class rating for towing. If you DO decide to go this route, be sure to add the frame tie-in kits that are available.

As for clearance issues, an aftermarket hidden hitch will take some clearance away, but if you don't offroad it or only go on things like fire trails, it should not pose a problem. If you wheel in rocks or on steep hills, it WILL pose a problem and will likely become a serious catching point when wheeling. I see it happen with a lot of our new wheelers that have a hitch installed.

Installing a hitch is usually just a matter of bolting it up to the frame. You MIGHT have to loosen the gas tank mounts, but you shouldn't have to drop the tank. It should take about 30-45 minutes or so with basic hand tools.

-Paul
  • erniejerniej Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 Wrangler,,4.0 with automatic and want to tow a Chalet popup camper,,it is the Alpine model. Will be going up some Arizona mountains at times. Jeep specs. seem to be close to this weight. Any experience or info would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the information Paul!

We have an abundance of rivers/lakes here in Central VA, so I probably wouldn't be driving any more than 30 miles at a time with the boat. Now I just need to make sure I'm getting the boat before I go further with a hitch :shades:
    Not really because you can still use that hitch on u-hauls, utility trailers, etc. :)

-Paul
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    Not really because you can still use that hitch on u-hauls, utility trailers, etc.

I don't think U Haul will rent a trailer if it's going to be towed by a converible. Thank you, trial lawyers... :mad:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Correct - they won't rent you a trailer if you drive a Ford Explorer either. (link).

Then again, Utility Trailers are Dangerous.
  • mike958mike958 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am a new jeep owner. I want to tow it behind my motorhome. I have always used a car dolly in the past. I have no experience with flat towing, I want to know what kind of towbar shoud I have and what should the towing capacity be?. my grvw is 4950. I see tow bars that state heavy duty 5000lbs towing capacity, would that work for my jeep or do I need something heavier? any help with this would be greatly appriecated.
  • dhuntress3dhuntress3 Member Posts: 2
    I would be interested in what exactly your lift type was and what kind of sway bars (stock or?) etc. I have a '06 unlimited that I just bought with 3" lift and 1" body lift with 33's and am having trouble towing a 2800# tent trialer without considerable sway. It wants to move left and right everytime I shift up or down. Any info would be helpful.
    Thanks
    IIRC the max towing capacity of the Unlimited is 2500 lbs. The heavier weight of the trailer may explain your swaying. Trailers will sway a bit too especially if they have the smaller tires. Your shifting probably isn't helping much. When I shift my 97 TJ, I notice when I press the clutch in, the Jeep steers a bit one direction. I think it is more me holding the wheel than the torque of the engine (the 2.5 doesn't have much of that anyway! :) ).

-Paul
  • dhuntress3dhuntress3 Member Posts: 2
    According to Jeep the towing capacity of a standard TJ is 2000lbs with the Unlimited rated at 3500 lbs. I don't think I am having issues with the overall capacity just the type of lift, design of the springs, sway bar etc. I will explore more and hopefully come up with a solution. I borrowed a short wheel base TJ and pulled the trailer with less sway than with my Unlimited?? I love the Jeep and the trailer and want to use both.
  • 39standard39standard Member Posts: 1
    Your grvw is the total of all that you can carry in your jeep plus what you are towing.
    Take your Jeep to a truck scale and weigh it. I just weighed my 2003 YJ and found out it weighs only 2240lbs. that is totally unladen. I will be towing it on a 5000lb tow bar and proper bracket. I don't think your 2005 will weigh that much more than mine.
  • dcapedcape Member Posts: 1
    Want to use uhaul motorcycle tow for vespa. Basic 4-speed, standard transmission Wrangler. Currently wearing soft-top. Possible?
    U-Haul usually doesn't hire anything to people with soft tops for insurance reasons.
  • bruleubruleu Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited. The handbook says the GVWR for towing is 3500 lbs, with a 350 lb tongue weight. An RV salesman showed me the sticker inside the drivers door, which says the GVWR is 5460 lbs, so I can tow heavier. I figure he's just trying to sell me a larger RV...right?
    I figure he's just trying to sell me a larger RV...right?

Right! :D
    Keep in mind, even the Wrangler Unlimited isn't a long vehicle. The biggest factor in what you tow is the vehicle's wheelbase. The shorter the base, the lower the rated towing capacity. You do NOT want the tail (trailer) wagging the dog (Jeep). It would get ugly REAL quick!

-Paul
    I have posted here before. I had a 2006 Unlimited which I sold, now I have a 2009 4dr JK. New Jeep, New questions.

This is for anyone who has modified their 4dr. JK to use as a tow vehicle:

I have 2009 4dr X automatic which has 3:27's and factory tow pkg. We installed a 4 inch lift but kept the stock rims and mud tires (32's). We have purchased a 16 ft. Funfinder travel trailer which weighs 2,500 lbs. empty and will be pulling it with sway bars. My husband has already installed the 7 pin and Prodigy brake controller. I have several questions because we would like to optimize the JK for towing the trailer:

1. Should we re-gear? To what ratio? Does it improve MPG and Power
    2. Should we install air bags?
    3. Also, I have seen several discussions regarding the tranny cooler and the placement of the stock cooler. I am afraid to install an aftermarket cooler because it may void the lifetime warranty. Is the aftermarket cooler necessary? :confuse:
    That should read "3.73".
    1. Should we re-gear? To what ratio? Does it improve MPG and Power
    2. Should we install air bags?
    3. Also, I have seen several discussions regarding the tranny cooler and the placement of the stock cooler. I am afraid to install an aftermarket cooler because it may void the lifetime warranty. Is the aftermarket cooler necessary?

1: You probably will have to, not just for mpg but for general driveability. 4.88:1 will probably be the best choice unless towing will be the major part of your driving, in which case you might consider 5.13:1.
    2: It's not essential, especially if the trailer tongue weight is correct and the trailer is balanced. Won't hurt though.
    3: An additional transmission cooler, correctly installed, will be almost essential.
    It's mere existence on the vehicle cannot affect your warranty, and as it's impossible to over cool the transmission, the only way it could invalidate your warranty is if it caused a transmission issue by leaking fluid in some way.
    If you use a stacked plate design cooler, properly installed, and with the correct type of automatic transmission hose (not fuel line or water hose), you'll be fine.
  • akcijasakcijas Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2010
    Does anyone know what the Trailer Sway Control for a 2010 2-door Wrangler Trailer Towing Group really is?

The online brochure says that the Trailer Towing Group Option includes:
    - Class 1 receiver hitch (since it's a 2 door)
    - seven-to-fourpin adapter,
    - Trailer Sway Control, and
    - 3.73:1 axle ratio

What exactly is "Trailer Sway Control." I know what the words mean, but is it a separate pice of equipment like a shock absorber mounted somewhere? Or is it a system that pulses the brakes to compensate for any sway in the trailer? Or ??

I'm asking because I plan to buy a 2010 Jeep. I don't need to tow frequently and may just buy an aftermarket hitch versus having to special order a Jeep with the tow package from the dealer. And the salesman is telling me the Trailer Sway Control provides added safety, but couldn't explain how it worked.

Seems I can't find a salesman that knows his stuff ....

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    What exactly is "Trailer Sway Control." I know what the words mean, but is it a separate pice of equipment like a shock absorber mounted somewhere? Or is it a system that pulses the brakes to compensate for any sway in the trailer?................
    ...............Seems I can't find a salesman that knows his stuff ....

I must admit i didn't realize it was a separate option. It's part of the programming of the various stability and ABS functions that will detect trailer sway by the motion of the Jeep.
    It will then try to correct it by reducing power and braking the wheels independently as necessary, though it's not foolproof.

I often tow a 3Klb+ utility trailer with my older TJ without any problem, but I'm careful to keep it balanced.
    Even though you wouldn't use it to its full rating, a 2" class three hitch is much more versatile than a class one.

As for the salesman, it's usually the case that an informed buyer will have much greater product knowledge than the salesman.
    Your poor excuse for a salesman should have at least known where to find the information, i.e. the Owners Manual in the glovebox, which gives a complete explanation of how and when TSC works.
  • akcijasakcijas Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Why the saleman didn't know that is ridiculous.

Looks like I'll have to order a Jeep, as I cannot find one with the options I want.

Thanks again,
  • brent59brent59 Member Posts: 2
    Need help as to how to remove steering wheel lock. I have a 97 wrangler tow behind motor home. Manual says to tow with key in ACC . Ocansionally the steering wheel locks on me. Happens when I go through a good size dip in th road followed with a turn. Any suggestions or help ?

Thanks
    If the steering lock actually does lock up in the ACC position then you need to replace it.

However, that would be an extremely rare occurence. What often happens is that in the circumstances you describe the load on the Jeep front wheels becomes very light coming out of the dip; and when you turn, instead of tracking the path of the motorhome, the Jeep front wheels flip over to full lock (in other words, fully to one side).
    They aren't actually locked by the steering column lock though, but you have to stop and center them up manually as you know.

There's little you can do about it though, except drive according to the conditions and slow right down when approaching and driving through a dip/turn.
  • brent59brent59 Member Posts: 2
    It does lock as I have to move the key to on while turning the wheel back and forth to release the lock.

I found a shop where they remove the lock pin in race cars and will do this for me. I just don't feel safe thinking this might happen at high speed.

thanks for your help
  • h2odogsh2odogs Member Posts: 2
    A couple of questions I have a new 2010 4dr with 35 inch tires and body lift... First which is my biggest problem is I have lost allot of performance in power and MPG due to the big tires and when on the freeway going up hills etc it slows down to much and I have to take it out of overdrive any suggestions on upgrades for the motor or gearing??
    And I plan on towing it behind the RV and need to make sure my RV can tow it what is its tow weight??
    Thanks
  • jeepguy48jeepguy48 Member Posts: 9
    go gears it takes alot of power upgrades to make up for the power lost. check owners manuel for vehicle weight. also call the stealer.
  • h2odogsh2odogs Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestions. Gears are what I was expecting would be needed just need to decide what ratio. I wont be towing allot of weight maybe trailer with Wite Water Raft and accesorries on occasion. The air cleaner and exaust are just to load... Thanks
  • 95jeepwrangler95jeepwrangler Member Posts: 1
    I was towing my 1995 Jeep Wrangler 4X4 to utah this past weekend. Around the flagstaff area i had to make a u-turn and the wheels only turned a little bit and stopped turing so i atarted to drag the front end. The key was in the on position but i had the battery disconnected. I also had the T/C in the neutral position as well as the manual transmission. I also noticed the the front drive line was locked in to gear is it supposed to be locked even when the transfer case is in neutral or do i have to go and get it looked at.
  • sail2thesunsail2thesun Member Posts: 3
    We're considering buying a used Wrangler and using it to tow our 2,000lb sailboat on a 4-wheel trailer. The boat is 20' long. Last summer I used a friend's Wrangler and while towing the empty trailer, had a difficult time avoiding excessive sway... especially on the curves. The Jeep owner said he needed to replace the sway bar. Would this have solved the problem, would I need to add additional towing gear, or is the Wrangler incapable of towing a 2,000 lb sailboat or was the empty trailer the issue?
    On a regular TJ, max towing in 1500..

Even if it was 2500, I wouldn't do it. The TJ's wheelbase is just too short to be stable enough for a 20' boat. The tail WILL wag the dog.

The sway bars (on the suspension) won't do squat. You'd at least need a beefed up connection between the trailer and the Jeep, but again a short wheelbase TJ pulling a 20' boat is just a disaster waiting to happen - IMO at least.

-Paul
  • sarahcait2010sarahcait2010 Member Posts: 1
    I'm moving from Alabama to California, i have two cars to get out there. Can i tow a 2011 Hyndai Elantra on a car dolly behind a 2010 Jeep Sport Wrangler 4wd 6 speed?
  • pstraubepstraube Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. The owner's manual says I can tow 3,500 pounds (which is far more than my camping trailer weighs) and have a maximum tongue weight of 350 pounds. This is where my problem lies. I had the tongue extended on my trailer and they put a large, boxed in tray on front. I don't know what the new tongue weight it but I'm guessing a couple hundred pounds or more beyond the 350 limit.

I asked my dealership about changing the suspension system or something else on the Wrangler but they didn't seem to know what to do. I am concerned since the back bumper drops about 3 inches when the trailer is hooked up.

If I missed a similar thread that you can point me to, great. Otherwise, any suggestions for me so that I can safely tow my trailer and keep the Wrangler a little more level will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.