Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 626 Engine Questions

jill10jill10 Member Posts: 1
I have a 1999, with 204,000 lady driven miles on it. This car is immaculate, never missed a service etc. NOW the mechanic is telling me it needs a new engine!!!! it is making a noise and it sounds like it's by the fan belt, not a squeal and when the engine is rev-ed or just simply going faster the sound goes away. I'm afraid because I'm a woman that I might be cheated. The timing belt is new maybe only a few thousand KMS. and the funny part is that the car was making this noise when it was in last and they never said nothing about it then??? I just realized it was still noisy when it came back and thought oh well it's just a belt. Any thoughts. Jill

Comments

• p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Were the engine belt idler pulleys ever changed on this car? Thjey have sealed bearings that may go out after so many miles. Similarly, the timing belt has at least one idler pulley.

Get another opinion on the engine condition. As a minimum, they should do a compression and leakdown test on the engine. These are good indicators of the engine's health.

I have a '99 ES V6 with 161k miles and the engine is strong as new.
  • jtwet626jtwet626 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93' 626 and was thinking of giving it a little go by installing a turbo would like to know wt would be the optimal choice as in make and size of turbo? And possible ne other engine modifications that are worth doing?
  • ppgbodymanppgbodyman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Mazda 626 with a bad engine. It has the 2.0L 4 cyl. with a manual transmission. It seems the only engine that will work is a 1996 or 1997 model engine. I can buy a 1994 2.0l worth the money. What is the difference in these engines? Both are DOHC engines and look the same. I have looked at the parts web sites and all the engine gaskets, timing belt and internal engine stuff is the same. The distributors are different but they use the same mounting gasket, that would make me think you could change out the distributors. So if I have a complete 1994 model car can I put the engine out of it in the 1996 model and get it to run? Thanks for the help!
  • hhrprobshhrprobs Member Posts: 13
    my husband took my 2006 hhr to the dealer and guess what they said nothing was wrong with the roters,just that i brake to hard and that can cause it to shake,thats a lie.i keep reading about others with the same problem.Chevy could do better than this.And yes my car still shakes, and i dont put the brakes on hard.i never had a :lemon: but i got one now. :cry:
  • fordlover100fordlover100 Member Posts: 8
    I have a mazda 1991 626 with 100000+ miles on it.

There is a loud ticking coming form the rocker arms.

I just got done cleaning all the HLA's and i filled the reseves with new oil. and the sound got even worse.

Any help would be great
  • mlsbmlsb Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 626 LX with 105,000 miles and it is an automatic. I was wondering if anyone has this problem. It seems like the transmission is not going into overdrive. I go about 65 and the RPM is about 3000, that seems high to me. Also has anyone replaced the instrument planel light? Thanks.
  • fsamifsami Member Posts: 1
    Dear team,

kindly advise me on upgrading to which japanese engine for my 1982 626 sedan.
    i have SOHC 2.0 litre 80bhp engine in the car and i want to upgrade to almost twice the bhp's.
    i want to jump to 2.8 or 3.0 litre, is the chassis that capable of handling such power or not.
  • miami626miami626 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 626 lx and yesterday my O/D off light just came on... my car won't go to 4th gear and my O/D button won't come on.. I have just been going around on websites to find out if this is the common problem with these cars and it sounds like it is. I have 101,600 miles on my car and I bought it at 53,000 where I have had to fix many parts of it already... i think it's time for a new car.. what do you think?
  • miami626miami626 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know the average price for an overdrive replacement is?
  • roundscompleteroundscomplete Member Posts: 3
    Brakeplanet.com
    Vented and Cross drilled set of rotors will cost About $50 ea. Last set of rotors you will ever need.
  • jkenenskijkenenski Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 97 626 and i also had a valve tap, i bought a service manual for it and it states that this sound is normal and also that it has hydraulic valve lifters so you cannot adjust them. i just let it go and it went away in about a month...
  • sharkpimpsharkpimp Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 mazda 626 4 cylinder it overheated on the express way and shut off now it wont start. had to have it towed back home, i fixed the leak it had, one of the small radiator hoses behind the exhaust manifold was cracked,I also replaced the spark plugs but still wont start, it cranks but will not start. I charged the battery and still it cranks but will not start. I took off the valve cover just to see the timing belt and it looks good its even tight so Can anyone help me with this problem?
    What do you know about replacing engines? The engine in your car is bulit mostly of Aluminum. It hates HEAT.
    Octane. Valve chatter is burning fuel trying to to provide power. Boost your Octane. The valves have shims that could be worn. Checking this tolerance for worn shims is a royal pain. Good Luck.
  • mazda98mazda98 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 626 when the car is in park it has a bad mis changed plugs,wires,changed what looks like the coil runs fine under driving conditions its just when its sitting it runs bad.
  • rezansrezans Member Posts: 2
    My engine warning light just showed up for the first time on my 2002 Mazda 626. I have 68000 miles on it. Does anyone know what this light indicates? I looked at my owner's manual and it states it could be low fuel which I know my tank is full. or the gas cap is loose which it is not or there is something wrong with the engine and should be taken to the nearest dealership for service. But before I do so, I want to hear advice from other owners out there. Your help is most appreciate. Thank you!
  • peggypeg12peggypeg12 Member Posts: 1
    Yes,if someone can help me,my car ODO LIGHT keeps coming on when the car gets hot,can someone tell me what the problem with my car is? is it the malgalator? please let me know,and my engiine light is coming on,they tested it and said it might be my catalit converter,can some one out there please tell me what is wrong with my car.
  • roman9vs10roman9vs10 Member Posts: 2
    I first read about your car problem today, Did you find your problem?
  • sylviabobsylviabob Member Posts: 1
    this happened to me several times; even though it seems like the gas cap is tight; it wasn't ... tighten it and drive the car for awhile... my light did go off
  • rezansrezans Member Posts: 2
    thanks so much! it worked!
  • ken1964ken1964 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1989 Mazda 626 from a friend. It needs a new alternator. I haven't been under the hood, so I don't know the engine layout yet. How difficult is it to change and where on the engine is it located?
  • derwin1derwin1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 626 and it chews up the water pump/alternator belt often. The crank pulley is out of alignment with the alternator & water pump. This is a two piece crank pulley that has an outer ring the belts ride in attached to an inner hub that fits on the crank shaft. The outer ring has moved foward about 1/4", I can't get the bolt off the pulley because the crank shaft turns when I try to loosen it. How do I get the bolt off? Please help!!
  • rallen210rallen210 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Madza 626 ES,2.5,with a V-6, I had the same type of sound on my Madza, I researched and found the timing belt can make this type of sound. Took it to a repair shop and that is what that sound was, like a clicking sound. I had thought is was internal and serious, in a way it was it had cost me $800 a lot of other parts were needed. I is suppose to be done aprox 60000 miles

rallen210@verizon.net
  • lmgearylmgeary Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Mazda 626 that the alternator belt makes a squeeling sound and eventually breaks. I'm told the pulley is out of alignment and it has been re-aligned. After a month or so, the squeeling starts and the same thing happens over and over. I've done some research and found that I need a new pulley. Does anyone know anything about this ???? Need to get this problem fixed once and for all.
  • lmgearylmgeary Member Posts: 2
    Did changing the pulley solve your problem of the belts getting chewed up ??? I'm having the same problem and keep bringing it back to the mechanic but it ends never getting resolved. Please let me know.

Thanks
  • deemarc2deemarc2 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone replaced a crank pulley? I have a 2002 Mazda 626, the outer ring of the crank pulley fell off.
  • askperryaskperry Member Posts: 21
    My crank pulley apart off three times. Each time, I got a replacement from the junk yard. It turns out that the AC compressor was locking up. I didn't know this until the third time it the pulley fell apart The compressor had locked up completely and wouldn't turn at all. After I replace the compressor I had no more problems with the Crank Pulley.
  • dre100dre100 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 4cyl mazda 626 my check engine light is on and sometimes my car cuts off after displaying the charge light but it starts back up. I replaced the alternator and the spark plugs and it still shuts down when driving, and the check engine light cuts on and off, could anyone help me with this problem?
  • Tyler626Tyler626 Member Posts: 2
    an impact is probally your best bet it. a air impact and will be best seeing how it has more power than a battery powered one
  • Tyler626Tyler626 Member Posts: 2
    has anyone in here turbo a 95 626 i have the turbo intercooler piping and am getting the turbo headers soon anyone know how much boost i an push an stock internals??? any input will behelpful probally going to run seven to ten pounds if there is any no no about this let me know
  • jaysmoothjaysmooth Member Posts: 1
    would like to know if anyone can tell me if they have had problems wit the clutch i cant make it go in gear i was told it was the slave cylinder change it and it still wont go into gear 1rst and 2nd is hard and 3,4,5 is easy what the problem
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Mazda uses failure prone clutch master cylinders (not slave cylinders). It is the internal seals that fail inside the cylinder, making complete clutch release impossible. The clutch master cylinder is located right behind the clutch pedal and it is visible on the firewall from the inside of the engine compartment. I went through about three of these master cylinders on my car. Also, there is a flexible rubber hose, just like a brake hose int he clutch hydraulic circuit, between the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. This hose burst on my car and left me stranded. It is advisable to replace it if the car is more than 10 years old or has more than 100k miles.
  • blackbuttblackbutt Member Posts: 1
    I have a mazda 626 2ltr 1992 auto hatch with 180 000 on the clock it starts no probs it idles fine but when you put the thing in gear it stops this happens in drive as well it sometimes stalls when you stop at the lights. this is a intermitting thing some days it happens and some days it dont. Has enybody had the same problem who can help me out