Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
edited March 2014 in Mitsubishi
Mitsubishi Prototype-X

Mitsubishi Prototype-X

At NAIAS this January, Mitsubishi is set to unveil the prototype for the next generation Lancer Evolution X. As with the 2008 Lancer, it is highly anticipated that the Evo X will very closely resemble previous concept models.

The Evo X is not only important for Mitsubishi in terms of Passenger car sales, but also in its Motorsports involvement in the WRC. The Evo X will be the base for the upcoming Lancer WRC world rally car that Mitsubishi will use to compete in the WRC as a full manufacturer team, hopefully in 2008.

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Is the car going to have leather seats or any other creature features ???? Just curious... ;)

Rocky
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    It's not yet in production status, so I have no idea.No press release on trims and features yet. It's likely that the top of the line trim will have leather.
    rcpax,

Okay I was just hoping you might of had some inside info. I will definetly take a look at one when it becomes available. The cool AWD system has me licking my chops. I hope this car will run 0-60 in 4.5 or quicker. I also hope that the EVO-X gets the 350 hp. turbo engine. It might be able to turn Nissan Skyline GT-R type numbers which would be really cool for a car that costs several thousand dollar less. :shades:

Rocky
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    The fact that the Lancer has doors that cut into the body frame disturbs me.

The last Evo, and most new cars, have frameless doors. The market has left that practice about 15 years ago.

Every picture shows frameless doors, but the production vehicle has frames.

Evo X Concept had no frames. Hopefully, Mitsu won't drop the ball here. Definitely cheapens the look, and exposes it's econo-car roots, circa-1986. :confuse:

DrFill
    Love it or hate it. Here is the new Prototype X hinting the looks of the upcoming Evo X. IMO, this car looks menacing. Can't wait to get it homologated and start doing rallies in Europe and Asia. I hope Mitsu sticks to its plan to return to the WRC in 08 with the WR Car version of this machine.

http://paxtech.blogspot.com/

Videos of the presentation at NAIAS is up at the http://www.lancerproject.com website. If you missed the webcast, here's your chance to see it. Go take a peek to see the videos and download pictures.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    You know, this car does look okay (but not great). Now if it really can deliver performance a step up from the current Evo IX, I might have to give it a shot. I've got a feeling that the next STI is going to be another odd-looking critter.

Byron
    All I can say is it doesn't look like anything else on the market, so I think that's good. Because I hate it when people compare it with other cars and say Mitsu has stolen their design from this make and model, but I really think mitsu was right to make this one not boring. It's not for everyone though. I'd say if you can't appreciate the design, then this car is probably not for you. Subaru I doubt, they'll probably change a bit of this and that but nothing major. They can't afford to do a major overhaul in design when they need a new car for WRC in mid-season. No engineer would risk that. Mtsu on the other hand took a rest from WRC so they can work on a new car from the ground up. Hopefully this Evo will bring back the winning ways with Mitsu.
    As long as the car isn't ugly... is good enough for me... after all, it's the driving & performance that are the key issues (give me an ugly woman that can cook :P ).

In fact the current Evo is pretty tempting. I just wish that the interior was a little better with a vertical adjustment for the driver's seat (I'm 5'6").

But as you probably know, the STI is scheduled for a major revision for '08 and at this time there really is only speculation as to what Subaru is going to do. We know that the current generation of Evo is a step above the current STI (but both are great). I've ridden in an Evo and was impressed and I've driven an STI, both yummy good. My present ride is an '06 Audi A4 with an ECU upgrade and virtually all the options so I'm a little spoiled on the aesthetics. The car handles great but I'm not kidding myself when it comes to the engines. Wish that EG63 Mitsu four was in my Audi!

Byron
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Will the Evo alwys be the ugly woman that cooks?

Look like it.

DrFill
    "Will the Evo always be the ugly woman that cooks?

Look like it.

DrFill"

Personally I think the Evo X show car is a considerable step up from the "bad hair day" look of the current Evo. And a dark body color should help to de-emphasize the snout. The interior seems to be better as well. Now if the handling is truly up from the present car, Mitsu will have a very interesting offering.

Byron
    I flat out really love this car.....Where's the EVO-X going to be made ?????

I actually might consider buying one....FOR REAL..OMG It actually turned out way better than I ever thought possible !!!!! :surprise: I'm very shocked :surprise:

Rocky
    I expect you to keep me posted !!!!! :D

When is this car (EVO-X) going to be out ???? When can I order one if I choose to do so ????

I need info...... ;)

Thanx,

Rocky
    Evolution X

This article contains information about a scheduled or anticipated future automobile.
    It may contain preliminary or speculative information, and may not reflect the final version of the vehicle.

Mitsubishi introduced a concept version of the next-gen EVO at the 39th Tokyo Motor Show named the Mitsubishi Concept-X.[1]

It is said to be put into production by mid 2007. [citation needed] The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X (10) will feature a completely redesigned chassis and computer system. It will boast a new all wheel drive system that will control braking, throttle input, and real-time suspension adjustment (all together called S-AWC, or Super All Wheel control) simultaneously with the Active Center Differential. The S-AWC uses Torque vectoring to send different amount of torque to any wheel at any given time. It will also featue an auto-manual six speed transmission with shift paddles. It is also said that the next generation Evo is likely to feature a twin-clutch Direct-Shift Gearbox-style transmission option[1].

Mitsubishi debuted the Prototype-X concept at the 2007 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit, Michigan, USA.[2] There is speculation among the press that the concept is in fact a lightly disguised Lancer Evolution X, and the production model will have minimal differences at most.[3]

Awards

The 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution won ConsumerSearch's best Aggressive sports sedan in Best Sports Sedans in June 2006. [4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evolution

:shades:

Rocky
    It will probably be out late 07 to first quarter 08. Dan Sims made a strong statement that 90% of the prototype-X will make it to production. Features that won't will include the fancy headlight innards, some details in the interior which are too good to be in production. But the overall shape is what you see now.
    Edmunds.com review......

This new, larger and more sophisticated Evo X might not be the rally-bred car we remember, but its sophisticated all-wheel-drive performance should shame its competitors, whether they come from Europe or Japan.

Might not be? This is the current Evolution of the Evo line of performance cars, and I tell you it will remain a rally-bred car as all of its predecessors. I'm pretty sure Mitsu has something brewing in the drawing board for a World Rally Car version of the Evo X, and none of the current WRC cars even come close to its looks. Subaru has been lame this past 2 seasons, so I don't know if they can even make a winning rally car this 08 season.
    Any power and price numbers yet ? When will the EVO-X be available ?

Rocky
  • tooony3tooony3 Member Posts: 3
    about 320bhp to 350 bhp i take delivery of one around 05/2008 its a 5 speed though
    Mitsubishi Makes Lancer Evolution X Official in Japan

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115886

Lots, of pics. and a small story.

You got yours ordered already ? :surprise: Can you please tell us all how much one cost (ballpark) ????? I hope your dealer can't take the car from you if demand gets high enough and he sells your off.

Rocky
    Lancer Evolution X will debut in Japan this spring. 08 Lancer to be named as Galant Fortis in the Japanese market.

Lancer Evolution X [JP]

paxtech.blogspot.com

paxtech.blogspot.com

Galant Fortis [JP]

paxtech.blogspot.com

paxtech.blogspot.com
  • volosvolos Member Posts: 1
    I have to admit, the design changes from the Concept X body to the Prototype X (and very likely, the actual production Evolution X) have disappointed me. I really liked the very aggressive head lamp treatment, and the crisp body line that was maintained down the side of the car with the circular wheel arches. The intact body line especially reminded me of the BMW M3.

The current head lamp treatment (that is to say, the shape of the body around the lamps, not the lost LED's) has cost the car some of its character in my opinion. And the boxier wheel arches have interrupted that line. The greenhouse also has a new shape, I'm supposing to give the rear seat occupants some actual headroom. It seems to me that Mitsu transfused the BMW genes with Evo 9 genes, and they haven't done themselves any favors.

Its not a bad looking car now, but its lost alot of the magic to me. The Concept X actually managed to replace my computer's GM backgrounds for a month, as I seriously considered the possibility of buying a Japanese car when it was released. I don't think thats a possibility anymore.
    To me it has not lost any of it's magic, and I always bought Japanese, so yes I will buy this car if I had the money, but that would be after I'm done with my current Outlander loan. So in 5 years I'd be looking at either a 12 or 13th encarnation of the Evo. And talking about GM, I don't see anything on their lineup that would make switch wallpapers. :-) But that's just me and my 2 cents worth.

And may I ask what are you considering instead if you don't buy the Evo?
  • tooony3tooony3 Member Posts: 3
    The dealer has taken a deposit already so the can't take it from me.And the price I'm told around $50,000 canadian with 14% tax included.
  • rastfoxrastfox Member Posts: 16
    It's actualy 4G63T engine in the Evo, EG6 is an early 90's Civic, popular with the ricer crowd, and with the potential to actualy perform if properly modifed. The Evo X will sport the 4B11 engine which will sport an aluminium block. Actualy the block is a Gema block also used by Chrysler and Hyundai. But the rest of the engine will be designed and tuned by Mitsubshi. The 4B11T is reputed to be roughly 50 lbs lighter than the engine it replaces. Rumored power is between 300~329 BHP and roughly 300~325 lbft, The most recent rumored spec's i saw were 300 bhp and 325 lbft of torque.

I love the idea of a DSG, but traffic is a real issue where I live now, it commonly takes 35~50 minutes to commute 6 miles to work.

My real concern is weight, The new Subie is actualy going to loose 50 lbs, but carry over an unchanged powertrain. The Evo may end up as fat as 3500 lbs. I however still rember that Mitsubshi said early on that they were making far more extensive use of aluminium on the Evo X than ever before, I was shocked by how much of a weight gain the new lancer got over the stock car, and I realy hope that Mitsu keeps the weight down this time.
    I'd like to see at least 325hp and 325 lbs. Tq. ;)

Rocky
    This is the real stuff.

Evo X GSR (US)

Evo X MR (US)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    the Edmunds First Drive? You can get to the article from the following discussion and then you post what you think about it right there.

KarenS, "Article Comments - 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution First Drive" #1, 25 Sep 2007 1:02 pm
  • shockfushockfu Member Posts: 3
    whats up with the cheap lookin plastic on the rear and front? Cant they paint the whole car? :mad:
    It's not about them skipping on paint. I'm sure that plastic looking thing is painted dark gray. It's all about contrast and design. If they paint it body color, it would look like the Lancer :) They just wanted to give a distinct look to the Evo, and make it more aggressive. Tuners like black contrasting parts, e.g. black/carbon fiber look to the hood. Looks good and very masculine if you ask me. I hope the 09 Ralliart version in mid 08 will be as menacing.
  • ntk1ntk1 Member Posts: 57
    Almost all the mags out this month have test data - 295 hp, 0-60 in 5.0 (5.4 with DSG). Considerably slower than Evo IX, sorry but as far as I am concerned this is 50 hp short and 1 second too slow to 60. It may be a marvel at the race track but I drive on regular streets, if I pay this sort of money I want to be more than a few yards ahead of a camry v6 from the lights. Removed from my shopping list.
    Man, you are a tough sell. If the IX is around 4.7 to 60 and the X is about 5 flat, that's not much of a difference. And are you sure that the SST is actually slower to 60? I'd guess that it would be a touch faster. In any case the X is loads quicker than the lobotomized Camry.

I recall reading that the final tweaking on the SST had not been completed during the recent Japanese demo session. And perhaps the EB11 engine will be a mod-happy muther :P

Anyhow, if you have been considering the X, why not wait until you actually get behind the wheel. I know that it's still on my list along with the much slower Audi A5. After all, there's more to driving than linear acceleration.
  • ntk1ntk1 Member Posts: 57
    Hi Byron
    I will indeed wait for final data and probably take a test drive as I will with the new STI (I currently own a legacy GT). The various reports from the JDM model that I have read show the SST slower by about 0.4 due to rev limiting, I guess my major disappointment (and hence my throwing my toys out of the pram) was that I was expecting the X to be quicker (say 4.2) so the real figures exposed a big expectation gap. I appreciate your comment regarding more to driving than linear acceleration (I am a former british rally winner) it's just that I find the cornering/handling limits of most well sorted cars to be easily more than capable of fast road driving where allowances have to be made for oncoming traffic and potential pedestrians. I appreciate your intelligent comments and apologize if I caused any irritation or offence.
    NTK1
    ...and apologize if I caused any irritation or offence.

No problemo... but back to that rev limiting that you mentioned... wasn't that just during launch to help prevent the drive train from going critical? We will have to see what the rolling start numbers look like.

Oh, and it goes without saying that we most definitely have to see how this new, lighter STI shakes out. I'm not exactly liking its looks but it might have the moves.

But what I'd really like is a chance to drive/buy and Audi A4/A5 with the 3 liter TDI. Presently I'm in an '06 A4 with a mildly modified ECU. Picked the car up in August of '05 and had the ECU reflashed a couple of months later. The car gets > 35 mpg @ 70 on road trips and has not developed a single rattle or squeak. It's the best car that I've ever owned, and I outta keep it until the wheels drop off.

Bet you miss those rally days ;)
  • ccd1ccd1 Member Posts: 140
    Any further word on whether the sportback is destined for the US or not??? Personally, I think not offering the sportback is a mistake. Mitsubishi actually has a pretty good looking hatchback and should bring it to the US. Subaru should have kept its hatch at home as it is butt ugly. BMW wisely keep their 1 Series hatch in the EU where the ugly ducking should stay until they do a better job with the design.
    I guess it will be some time after they release it for the EU market.
  • gijoewildbillgijoewildbill Member Posts: 62
    I have been contacting a young lady named Melissa who works in the customer service department at Mitsubishi North America. When I asked her about the hatch design, her reply straight word for word from a released statement from Mitsubishi was that as of this time, the hatch is not planned for the U.S. because of a limited market (not many want one which is reasonable as most U.S. residents like sedan designs better than hatches like Europe) as well as they wish to wait and see how sales numbers turn up for the new sedan lancer, its trim lines, and the Evo X later early next year as they are still in a "recovery and re-build" state for the North American market.

Bill
  • ccd1ccd1 Member Posts: 140
    I was really hoping that the WRX STI being offerred as a hatch would inspire Mitsu to offer a hatch for the EVO.
    At this point, Mitsubishi is probably playing "wait and see" with the hatch. If the Evo 4 doors sell, and a good number of customer would dig the STi hatchback, then they might start importing the Evo hatch, which by then, it would been marketed in EU and other parts of the world. It's all about demand, if there's a considerable market, Mitsubishi will sell it.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704

As a Japan Rally pace car.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Most of this info has been known for some time but it's nice to actually see it posted on Mitsu's site.

Go to Mitsu Media Site or read below...

Next-Generation 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Offers Advanced User Technology With Broad Market Appeal

November 15, 2007 -- CYPRESS, Calif. --

The all-new, next-generation Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution for 2008 offers user technology designed to appeal to a broad customer base. The 2008 Lancer Evolution is available in two versions for the U.S. market, the GSR with a 5-speed manual transmission and the MR with the advanced Twin-Clutch Sportronic Shift (TC-SST) transmission and a number of chassis and technology upgrades.

The Lancer Evolution MR comes standard with high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps and a Bluetooth® wireless cell phone interface system with voice recognition microphone for hands-free calling. In addition, the MR model is exclusively available with the optional Technology Package, which includes a 650-watt (max.) Rockford-Fosgate® Premium Audio system; hard disc drive (HDD) navigation system with music server function; SIRIUS® Satellite Radio with a six-month service subscription; the Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System, and the FAST Key (Freehand Advanced Security Transmitter) entry system. FAST Key allows passive vehicle unlocking and engine start/stop simply by carrying the remote control and grasping the exterior door or trunk handle.

The Lancer Evolution GSR model can be equipped with the optional Sight, Sound and Spoiler Package that includes the Rockford-Fosgate Premium Audio system, HID headlamps and the larger rear spoiler that is standard on the MR model.

FAST-Key Entry
    Both 2008 Lancer Evolution models come standard with remote keyless entry and an anti-theft engine immobilizer and alarm system. The MR model is exclusively available with the FAST-Key system. Part of the optional Technology Package, FAST Key allows the driver to unlock the vehicle simply by having the remote in a pocket or purse and grasping the handle on either of the front doors or pressing a button in the trunk.

The FAST-Key system provides both convenience and security, since the driver does not need to search for a key or remote control while carrying packages, or when in a poorly lit area, for example. The system operates when the driver (carrying the remote unit) is within 27 inches of the front doors or the trunk. While walking into that range, the system verifies the user identification. Bioelectrical sensors are built into the door handles, and when the person carrying the remote grasps one of the handles, the door unlocks: grasping the driver's door handled unlocks only that door; grasping the front passenger door handle will unlock all four doors. (The customer can set system preferences so that grasping the driver's door handle will unlock all vehicle doors.)

With FAST Key, instead of inserting and turning a key to start the engine, the driver simply presses the ignition knob on the steering column to release the lock, and then twists it to start the engine. Turning the knob rearward turns off the engine. The FAST Key system comes with two remote units, and up to four can be registered and programmed for the system. The remote houses an emergency key that can unlock and start the vehicle if the unit's battery runs down.

Satellite Navigation System – Plus
    The satellite navigation system comes as part of the optional Technology Package in the 2008 Lancer Evolution MR model and also includes AM/FM/CD/MP3/WMA music file playback, DVD video capability (when the car is not moving) and SIRIUS® Satellite Radio. Navigation maps and directions are displayed on a crisp touch-panel, seven-inch LCD screen.

The navigation system stores map data for the contiguous United States and Canada on a 30-gigabyte hard drive. Using a hard drive for map storage gives the navigation system ultra-fast search and access to the map data.

A key benefit to this hard drive-based navigation system is a music server function that reserves about 6 gigabytes of its capacity for digital music file storage and playback through the audio system. The navigation system's main operating controls are hard switches, with the touch screen accessing the search and destination-entry functions, among others.

The navigation system integrates the Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System, an extensive information display, including an onboard computer. Offering much of the functionality of similar systems seen in luxury vehicles, the Lancer Evolution's is easier and more intuitive to use.

The driving computer provides displays for outside temperature, average fuel economy, current fuel economy, distance to empty and driving time. Another display option brings up a screen with outside temperature and barometer, along with an altimeter, and another displays a vehicle maintenance reminder (oil, brakes, interior air filter) and calendar.

Controls for the audio, including the SIRIUS® Satellite Radio and Rockford-Fosgate Premium Audio, can be accessed through the navigation screen. Adding another high-tech touch, the navigation system includes an interface that allows owners to customize many of the vehicle's interior electronic system functions, such as central locking and lighting choices. Sound Options
    Both 2008 Lancer Evolution models come equipped to provide high-quality sound, with a standard total 140-watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 player with 6 speakers and digital signal processor. The system automatically compensates volume and sound equalization in response to vehicle speed.

Each of the 2008 Lancer Evolution models offers an option package that includes the Rockford-Fosgate Premium Audio System with PUNCH® control. Rockford-Fosgate is one of the most respected brands for mobile audio speakers. The Rockford-Fosgate system is custom-tuned for the Lancer's interior acoustics, including collaboration by Mitsubishi and Rockford-Fosgate engineers to tune the doors to function as speaker cabinets, extending response, increasing clarity and reducing coloration.

This audiophile-quality system is designed to reproduce all types of music with stunning clarity and power. It includes a 6-CD in-dash head unit with MP3 playback capability. In addition, an audio input jack enables connection of an iPod® or other media player. The Lancer Evolution Rockford-Fosgate system uses an 8-channel amplifier to produce up to 650 watts maximum output, playing through nine speakers in seven positions: 1.4-in. soft-dome tweeters mounted in the door mirror delta provide an accurate soundstage; front door-mounted 6.5-in. midbass drivers; rear door-mounted 6.5-in. coaxial two-way speakers using a bridge-mounted tweeter, and a 10-in. subwoofer in its own sealed enclosure located in the left rear of the trunk.

The subwoofer provides extremely high-power bass p
    thanks for providing that information. Very informative material and the part explaining the FAST-key was particularly useful.

If the Lancer EVO X's Rockford Fosgate stereo plays just as well as the RF 650-watt stereo in my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, it will blow away the driver and passenger(s). Suberb sound and it is acoustically sound(pardon the pun)and powerful. Crystal clear as well.

The bass guitar sounds bounce the Lancer GTS' interior around from the subwoofer in a most pleasing manner.

• nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    Anyone have an idea how much a Evo X MR with Tech package would cost? I am thinking 36K or more.
  • gijoewildbillgijoewildbill Member Posts: 62
    Nissan350z:

The expected base price for the GSR is approximately 32 K and the MR is estimated to be 35 to 36K. Adding the tech package will be like adding it to GTS assuming they don't throw more stuff into it and change the package, so expect to add another 2.5 to 3 K on top of that. I would estimate a out the door price with TTL after hagling right at 40K.

Bill
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was thinking about 36K or higher. I am thinking this Evo X MR or Lexus IS250 AWD not sure yet. hmm
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Looks like the EVO gained a bit if weight. Over 3,500lbs. Mitsubishi engineers seemed to "pig out" when building the new EVO. The power increase is nice.

Motor Trend just evaluated the new EVO, and got a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds and 1/4 mile at 14.0. The Mazdaspeed's (6 and 3) run those type of times for thousands less. For $34,000, I think this car is a bit over priced.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Don't take pre-production test cars numbers as gospel. Several magazines did 5.0 flat on the EVO X. And there's also a considerable difference in comparing all wheel drive cars with cheaper FWD or RWD cars.

There's no 300 hp AWD cars out there that can be had for less than low 30's to start.
    in which they praise the car for several reasons. At the end of the article they list the Warranty on the car as 3 years and 36,000 miles. That is not correct. It should read 10 years and 100,000 miles.

Unless MItsubishi has suddenly reduced their Warranty on all of their cars. I don't think that is so.

I"m pretty sure that that is the correct warranty for the Evo. The warranty (I think) is unchanged on Mitsu's other models.
This discussion has been closed.