Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Navigation System

cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
edited November 2018 in Mazda
Radio Flicker issue:

12/8/06

Radio Button Lights started flickering. I have the Technology Package, and it's JUST the buttons for the radio (around the nav screen), but not including the navigation screen. All other interior and exterior lighting appears to be fine. It started tonight... lasted about 10 minutes... and then stopped.

12/14/06

First time since last Friday and the radio lights were flickering tonight again. I go in for an oil change next week, so I'm going to mention it. Audio guy took a quick look and didn't see anything wrong. Someone on these forums reported a similar problem as well (but no known cause yet).

Interestingly enough, it wasn't cold tonight (like it was last week when it happened). It also only seemed to start after I had been driving the car for a while (more than 30 minutes). I do a lot of local driving and often am not in the car longer than 10 minutes.

I can't link it to anything else. Turned off power seats it still continued. Radio off it still continued. Heat off it continued. Nav screen and other interior/exterior lights seem fine.

12/21/06

Went for 1,000 mile oil change.
Dealer couldn't replicate the problem (which I knew would happen). I have to try to bring it in when it's occurring. They did do a PCM Flash and the other (previously mentioned) person with the same problem said that fixed it (or was just a coincidence) - so my fingers are crossed.

12/22/06

Last night the radio lights were flickering again. PCM Flash did not resolve it.

I took the car back to the dealer today. It has been difficult to demonstrate the problem because during the day you cannot see that the radio buttons are lit (and they aren't lit unless the headlights are on). It also doesn't happen until after the car is good and warmed up (after I've been driving it at least 30 minutes). I did drive it for a good hour before bringing it, hoping they would see the issue when it was pulled into the (darker) shop. The technician connected the car to a computer and it did not return any diagnostic codes/problems. He then called the Mazda Tech Line and they said "there have been some issues with the radio/navigation system but not this specific problem" (and my symptoms do not include the navigation screen - that seems to be fine). They told the tech to remove the radio and check connections first and that the unit might need to be replaced.

This was not something they could do today (they were on a limited schedule because of the holiday), so I am scheduled to bring the car back on January 4th (their earliest appointment available). I will be leaving the car with them for the day.

Everyone at Mazda has been VERY nice and professional, and they are trying their best to track down the issue. Right now it's more of an annoyance to me than a serious issue, but I just hope it's not an indication of other electrical problems.

It was curious to me that the Mazda Tech Line said there were some issues. Anyone else having issues?

I am also directly in touch with Bose, and will keep you posted of the outcome.

Comments

• aussiedawgaussiedawg Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know how to disable the nav safety feature that prevents you from entering destinations while the vehicle is moving?
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    This applies to model's with the Tech Package.

The owner's manual seems to indicate that the Voice Command can be suspended. Sometimes, I want to use the steering column's MUTE button for just that...mute. However, with Nav installed, the mute button activates Voice Command. The owner's manual indicates that if I press the Voice Command button aka Mute for .7 seconds continually, then Voice Command is suspended. No such luck. The audio system is still broadcasting music. If I press the Voice Command button again, the audio goes mute for a few seconds, but the NAV system interprets the silence as an unrecognized command.

The owner's manual is clearly wrong or poorly written or I'm just flat-out doing something wrong.

Any thoughts?

Vince.
    What they mean is that you can cancel the current voice command input. If you press the voice command button and then decide not to enter a command, you can either say "Cancel" or press the button and hold it for .7 seconds.
    Before the CX-7, I used the portable Garmin C330. Navteq provides the database for both systems. With the garmin, if I wanted to find a WalMart near me, I just typed in Walmart and it would list all of the Walmarts starting from the closest one. If I try this with the CX-7, I get only a couple of listing and they could be any where within the U.S, but none near me. It would list a couple 50 to 100 miles from me.

The best I can determine is that the CX-7 only list shopping centers or Malls, not individual stores like the Garmin. I just want to know if the CX-7 data base is that much more limited or is it a Software issue or is it the way I am using it. I have been trying to get an answer from both Mazda and Navteq. They both referred me to the other :( . At least Mazda is still trying to figure it out. BTW, I do have the Nav set for CA and NV. The garmin only has an internal 2.5 GB hard drive and the CX-7 could use the full 4.7 GB of the DVD so it could have even more data than the Garmin, but I wonder if Mazda skimped licensed a cheaper more limited version.
    I'm beginning to wonder about that as well. I have an Eclipse AVN 2524 in my Santa Fe and it can find many entries based on user input. Not so with the CX7 NAV. :(
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Issues? Concerns? Discuss them here!
  • amc1stamc1st Member Posts: 2
    I agree that this wonderful SUV should include the Bluetooth option but... I order the Parrot CK3200 but could not get someone to installed for me. Bestbuy told me I need to contact Parrot... Did any body have a solution? Is any way to get Bluetooth to the CX-7? :blush:
  • amc1stamc1st Member Posts: 2
    Is any way that you can preset the NAV system to pop up the NAV Screen?

For example if you are not using the Nav and instead using the Satelite Radio or FM Radio... Maybe browsing through the stations.... The NAV screen keep poping up... Is any way to keep the SOUND creen instead the NAV screen? :mad:
    Yes, it's in the user options. I don't have the NAV screen in front of me, but just flip through the user screens and you'll see an option that allows you to defeat the auto default to bring up NAV. Once set, then if you want NAV, you press NAV and if you want audio, you select the button.

Vince.
  • jpoole007jpoole007 Member Posts: 2
    I recently leased a CX7 and love it. I was wonder though, I have a 6 CD changer (that came with the car) that can play MP3's and the system uses a DVD CD to update maps - which I assume goes into the same slot as the CD's (an avail. slot of course), so why can't I burn MP3's on a DVD and have 6 DVD's with 4.5 GB of music rather than 6 CD's at 700 MB of music? Why does the system fail to read the DVD v.s. a CD? From a PC standpoint a DVD ROM player is just as cheap as a CD ROM player.

Thank you

Jim
    Good assumptions! One would think a really well-designed NAV system would do exactly as you surmise.

But....The Nav in the CX7 does not plays DVDs - it will play standard CDs or MP3 encoded CDs. The map disk goes into the NAV deck under the passenger seat and it isn't meant to be swapped with any other disk.

Vince.
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    OK, can anyone explain this.
    Set the nav system with Lake Placid, NY as our destination.
    Drove from Hudson NY to Lake Placid for an overnight. This morning climbed Mt. Whiteface nearby. Set the nav system to return home to Hudson, NY.

It sent us north one way, and south another way. Any explanation?

NMK
  • jpoole007jpoole007 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info Vince. I never thought that there was a separate DVD ROM player elsewhere in the car.

Jim
    You're welcome!

Understand that unit is NOT designed to play DVD movies. It's only purpose is processing the DVD map disk.

Vince.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say, but, the NAV system does give you three route options, and you must have chosen one that was not the most direct.
  • 1stmazda1stmazda Member Posts: 17
    anyone had any luck with mazda or navteq for updated maps?
    I checked on this about a month ago. NAVTEQ denied that they provided any support to the CX7. Mazda indicated that they're in negotiations with NAVTEQ to provide support. If you go to www.navteq.com, you'll see that CX-7 isn't listed.

I'm guessing we'll have to wait at least a year before we'll know if updates are available. :(

Vince.
    Regarding the change of instructions on destinations, you may well be correct. In any event we disregarded the nav instructions for the last 30 miles as we knew of a better way home. Thanks for your remarks,

NMK
    The nice thing about the Nav system, is that if necessary, you can always tell Madge (that's my nick for my female Nav system) to "button" it and that the master knows his way to the next destination. Of course, Madge is occasionally smarter than I am, but not often! :P

Vince.
    Funny thing, Vince, is that my wife has a penchant for naming our possessions.

The CX is named "Maddy the Mazda". We have a Mercury wagon called "Mindy the Merc".

I haven't told my wife that my first real girl friend was named "Maddy" and I have not intention of ever telling her either. (Grin)
    I have not intention of ever telling her either.

It's not our policy to keep people away from our Forums so we cannot guarantee she'll never see your message. :shades:

tidester, host
    Tidester:

You stick to your knitting and I will stick to mine. Keep your nose out of my married life, if you please.

NMK
    I will stick to mine.

That would have been prudent. :)

In any case, let's get back to topic.

tidester, host
  • cx7_copper_redcx7_copper_red Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone everytime I turn the car on, I get the navigation screen "I Agree" prompt. Is there a way of turning it off? I thought it would go away after I select "I agree" for the first time :confuse:
  • thebobthebob Member Posts: 2
    Just bought my CX-7 in hawaii and they don't order the CX-7's witht the TECH package. Can I get that installed when I get back to mainland? Thanks!!
    Nope you're stuck with that prompt. I have the same prompt in another vehicle, with an Eclipse Navigation system. I'm guessing it's either a manufacture's attempt to provide a warning label, to avoid litigation issues or it's a federal requirement.

Vince.
    Did the dealer tell you why, they don't order the Tech Package?

I'm surprised that Mazda in Hawaii couldn't answer the question. Why not log onto the www.mazdausa.com website and post a query to the customer support? They should be able to tell you.

Vince.
  • thebobthebob Member Posts: 2
    The dealer said that the Nav system that Mazda uses does not work in hawaii.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Oh yeah... the satellite thing. Because of your position on the globe. You guys can't get Sirius or XM either, can you? Bummer. But at least you have that great weather, right? :shades:

The tech package is a factory option from Japan and I think when you come to the mainland you'd have to either swap cars, or snag a store-bought NAV unit - but in the case of the latter option, you'd be missing out on some of the other package goodies.
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    That's odd; every time I start the car, it defaults to the radio (which is because I leave the radio on all the time), or to the CD I might have been listening to. I don't see or hear anything pertaining to the Nav system unless I press the NAVI button on the left of the screen.
  • cx7_copper_redcx7_copper_red Member Posts: 2
    But when you switch to NAV, do you get the "I Agree" screen or it goes directly to the map?

I also noticed that the Sirius preset stations that I set do not get saved. Every time I restart the car, I get 184, 185...
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    OK, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were getting the "I agree" screen from the start. Yes, if I press NAVI, I do get the "I agree" screen. I suppose it's Mazda's way of warning you not to use the NAVI system while you're actually in motion, as it will obviously draw your eyes off the road. That way, if you crash, Mazda can say, "Hey, we warned you not to do this while driving!" :P
    that I set do not get saved. Every time I restart the car, I get 184, 185...

Interesting. You may not be setting the memory buttons correctly. Choose Sirius 1, 2 or 3. Select a Sirius channel, say "20". Now locate the 6 memory buttons. Pick one. Press and hold the touch screen button for a moment. You should hear a beep when the channel is stored correctly. If not you may have an issue.

Hope that helps! Vince.
    Just got an automated voice mail from Sirius Customer Service. Apparently, various Mazda owners, including CX-7 owners with the Tech package may be having reception problems specific to the Mazda line, 3, 5, CX7. Interesting. Didn't realize there's a problem. My reception has been top-notch since I've had the vehicle, with no disruptions. The message indicated Sirius hopes to resolve the issue by next week and thanked everyone for their patience.

Vince.
  • sssgoundersssgounder Member Posts: 7
    How do you display the address details of the preset destination?? and how do u delete a preset destination..??

Thanks.... :confuse:
  • cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    12/25/06 (update)

Update.

Okay, so I don't think it's the radio exactly.

Tonight, on the way home from x-mas eve festivities the radio button lights started flickering again. This time, I pressed the dashboard illumination button on the gauge cluster that forces all the gauge and radio lights to be in "day w/headlights mode" or bright enough to see during the day if your headlights are on (page 5-35 in the manual). The flickering stopped when I pressed the button. I pressed it again (to return to normal mode) and the flickering started right back up. I then turned the dial and adjusted the illumination all the way up (until it beeped) and the flickering stopped (I had adjusted it slightly down when I first picked up the car).

So... if this is a type of voltage regulator that controls the dimming of the gauges and radio lights, it appears to get a little funny when they are dimmed a bit. Interestingly, it doesn't cause everything to flicker, just the radio light buttons.

I'll keep my eye on it now the next few days...
    "Preset Destination"

Do you mean a POI "Point of Interest" that's part of the map's database or do you mean a destination you inserted yourself?

Vince.
    "How do you display the address details of the preset destination?? and how do u delete a preset destination..??"

I assume that you mean the preset destinations or memory points that you've programmed in.

For preset destinations or memory points you've stored:

If you see it on the map on screen just select it but touching its icon. Preset destinations will show as little numbered flags and will display their name if you chose to show it when you programmed it. Memory points show as icons, again with their name if you've chosen to show it. Once you select it, hit "info" at the top of the screen for more details (latitude, longitude, address, etc.).

If you don't see them on the map on screen (because it's out of the area you're currently in), press the menu button -- then "address book" -- then "memory points/home" -- then "list". A list of memory points will come up. Select the "change" button and the category will change to preset destinations. From either of these lists you can select the name of the memory point or preset destinations for all the details (address, phone - if you put it in - name, etc.)
  • cx7fortacx7forta Member Posts: 6
    Ok, we just got our GT with tech package a couple of days ago, so I'll admit that I am very new to the whole navigation system, having come from a very low tech '95 4Runner. However, in looking at the manual and from the limited attempts so far of using the system, how much can you actually use the system when you are in motion?

The reason I ask is that yesterday while driving between San Diego and Orange County, my wife and I realized we could do very little with the system while on the freeway. We were looking for a place to eat, but the system had us locked out so we couldn't select any of the options. Once we pulled off the freeway and stopped, all of the options were suddenly available.

Is this the way the system works? The only previous experience I've had with a nav system is from my brother's Acura, but it let us enter all kinds of info (new destinations, etc.) while driving along the freeway (on our way to Vegas) without stopping.

I got the nav system with the belief that one of the benefits was being able to search for gas stations, restaurants, etc. while driving along - is this not the case? Or am I just not using the system correctly? Sorry if I'm just being a moron, but I figured all of you would know - thanks.
    Well, yes, it's sort of how the system works. It ASSUMES there is only one person in the car driving, and for safety, they don't want you messing with destination addresses while going faster than 5 or 10 mph.

BUT, you can access POI's while on the move. You can do it with voice. For example - press the voice button and say "I'm hungry" and restaurants will show up on the map.

There should also be a POI button on your map. I'm not sure if it shows up while you're moving or not, but I have it set up by default to show all restaurants, gas stations, shopping, grocery stores and ATMs all the time.

Hope that helps. Review the voice commands in the book... they really are helpful when you're moving. Another good example is if you have a route planned already and you get stuck in traffic. You can say "detour" and it will try to route you another way.
  • cx7fortacx7forta Member Posts: 6
    Ok, thanks - that's helpful. I'll have to check it out more, but you verified what I had thought.
  • buckeyedanbuckeyedan Member Posts: 7
    Just got my CX-7 yesterday and while programming the Nav I am unable to access the "Home" menu under the Address Book and enter my home address. The "Home" menu bar is grayed out as is the "Preset Destinations" bar. Is there some other place to enter your home address?
    I cannot remember EXACTLY how to do it... but it's something like this...

When you're sitting in your driveway, set your home as a memory point first (hit "memory point" on the screen). Then go into your address book and pull up memory points, hit "list" and select the one you just entered for home. At the top of the screen you can hit "change" for changing category. From there you can set it to your home position.

I think?
    Confirmed.

Vince.
    Thanks for the directions, I was able to set "Home" just as you described. Now if I can just get the Voice Recognition to work I'll be set. I'm sure it's a case of operator error.

Thanks again!
    In the back of you manual there's a list of voice commands... some of them are easier to remember than others :)

You'll get the hang of it. It's a little picky how you say things, but I find it works well most of the time.
  • kcittikcitti Member Posts: 10
    It's been really annoying me lately that when its raining during the day and I need to put my lights on (bc of the wipers) that the navigation system brightness and the gauges dull significantly. If its still daytime, its almost impossible to see the navi screen. Is there any way to keep the brightness of the navigation while the headlights are on?
    Yes, if you press on the brightness adjustment knob for the dash gauges, just to the left of the speedometer, it will put the brightness of all gauges including the navigation screen back to daytime brightness.
  • kcittikcitti Member Posts: 10
    Is this knob exactly like the one which resets the trip mileage, except on the other side? Thanks so much.
    Yes, that's the one. Just press it and it will toggle between daytime brightness and the brightness level you have set for your dash lights.