Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram General Operating Questions

2»

Comments

• d_swieckid_swiecki Member Posts: 1
    I own a '90 d150 with a 5.9 and 2wd. I am having issues with intermittent spark at starting. Sometimes there is no spark and I let the truck sit for a while, and it will fire. The engine never dies once it starts. I have replaced the ingition coil and the pick-up coil within the last year. The new coils seemed to help for a while, but I'm still having issues. Any ideas?
  • tczjr5tczjr5 Member Posts: 2
    change cap and rotor wires check engine light is still on going to change the plugs what else is there ?????/ scanner code p0300, P0301 P0308
  • becker4becker4 Member Posts: 1
    i have replaced the fan motor the resitior and the control panel but still no fan motor i have power to the control panel. went down to the wrecking yard and tried several different ones but still no fan motor any idea's on what could be going on this is a 2004 ram 1500 5.7 liter
  • nthompson1nthompson1 Member Posts: 13
    My mechanic is having a dickens of a time removing the edges of the old broken steel straps on the D150 318 engine model.
    ALso, having trouble fitting on the new straps.
    Any solutions or thoughts?
  • richard_coxrichard_cox Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what causes the radio on my 2002 Dodge Ram truck to repeatily flash 5 times when it is turned on, but not play? The clock works. I think it is a trouble code, but I don't know what it means. The dealers solution is to rerplace the radio for $400.
  • noakesnoakes Member Posts: 6
    I have a 98.5 2500 Ram diesel with about 240K miles, new batteries.

When I start the truck the battery gauge stays below the voltage threshold and the check instrument bell sounds for a minute (plus or minus) until the gauge reaches 'normal'.
    As I said the batteries are new.
    It does reach charging voltage level after a few minutes.

My concern is that there is a problem waiting to manifest itself at the worst possible time and place.

Is it normal for the Ram to show a very gradual voltage increase on the battery gauge?

Also, where could I get a real wiring diagram for this truck (other than a dealer)? The ones I find in the 'self help' manuals are not specific enough for going through the harnessing.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If they haven't been changed in a while (or they're original), definitely try a fresh set of battery cables. Also have the alternator tested.

A full wiring diagram will only come from Chrysler.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • noakesnoakes Member Posts: 6
    I finally had time to check into this further, use this truck only on occasion and during winter snow season.
    Measured current drain with ignition off, over 500 ma, disconnected alternator completely and had the same leakage.
    Pulled the IOD fuse in the fuse block on the left side of the dashboard and the leakage dropped to about 31 ma.
    I don't know what is in the normal range for leakage on this vehicle. I know there is something amiss in the IOD circuit but I can't find any clue as to what circuit(s) this refers to in the Hayne's manual I have.
    With slightly more than a half an amp of leakage it is no wonder why I have the problems I am having, don't usually use the truck more than once a week during which time the charge is too low to turn it over, especially after the preheater is cycle.
    Any knowledge as to what the IOD fuse feeds? and what the typical leakage is?
    The IOD (Ignition Off Draw) generally feeds items like the interior lights, stereo, power locks, and trip odometer memory when the ignition key is out of the vehicle.

500 ma is definitely questioable, so I'm guessing something in the interior is "hot" when it shouldn't be. If you can get the truck to a very dark location or get a tarp over all the windows, look for a glow somewhere (glove box, visor mirrors, etc.) that might indicate a light that's still on. Also make sure access doors that activate lights are fully closed (the bulb may be dead by this time, but a slightly opened access panel will still close the circuit).

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • arjay2arjay2 Member Posts: 2
    Today while driving down the street my 2001 2500 Cummins just stopped running and will not start again. It will turn over but will not start. I have had it towed to a dodge dealer but got there too late this afternoon so it will not be looked at till Monday Morning. PLEASE help me it has 130 k on and this has never happened before.They are charging $175 to look at what are the possible causes. Any ideas will be appreciated

ARJAY
  • csandmann76csandmann76 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 Dodge Power Ram 150 with 110,000 miles on a 318 V8. I am have issues with the injectors in the throttle body. Only one side will spray gas. I have changed both injectors, the wiring harness, and the pig tail that plugs into the wiring harness. Still nothing has worked. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. :sick:
  • gregoryallentgregoryallent Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 ram 1500 4x4 with 155588 miles on it the trans just started leakeing I think it,s the seal what do you think
  • tbully2010tbully2010 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, 4.7 4x4...Truck has been cutting out on start, almost as though it is starved for fuel, cleans out after a few seconds and then will go. The transmission light came on several months ago, but diagnostics shows nothing wrong. This is happening more often now...truck is fine after several sconds of rough idling and attempts to get going...Any thoughts....could this be a idle control spring or is it a fuel filter problem? :confuse:
  • chatzychatzy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 with a similar problem The truck ran for about a mile or so then just gave out as well. it starts but does not turn over like a fuel problem
  • mesum71mesum71 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7 4x4 the parking lights stoped working thought it was the headlight switch replaced that this was not the problem,checked for code and got p1687 no mechanical instrument cluster bus message.blinkers and all other lights work,no blown fuses no power to the fuses in the fuse block for those lights
  • nelson17315nelson17315 Member Posts: 1
    OK MY HUSBAND PUTS KEY INTO IGNITION AND TURNS IT OVER AND NOTHING!!! He has replaced the distrubtor cap, coil pickup, spark plugs, and rotor button. We also checked the battery and it's fully charged...What is wrong and please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sick:
  • interstate30interstate30 Member Posts: 1
    I had exactly the same thing happen yesterday -- same model/ same year truck as yours. Did you get any helpful responses? I'd sure be interested to know.
  • thea67thea67 Member Posts: 4
    I am having some carb trouble with my old 85 Dodge Ram. I think the carb would work just fine if the parts for the fast idle were not missing. I have purchased for Ebay and older carb. I had intended to put the Ebay carb on my truck after I had rebuilt it, but the air/fuel adjuster screws were stuck and when I tried - as carefully as possible - to remove the screws, one of them sheered off. I soaked the base plate in P.B. Penetrating fluid before trying, but that didn't help.

Anyway, my question is: Does anyone know if I could use the fast idle parts from the Ebay carb on the existing carb? If so, then I'll just get a rebuild kit for the existing carb and go with that. I really wanted to use the Ebayr carb though, because of the air/fuel adjusters. I'd appreciate any help I can get on this.

Just one more thing. On the existing carb, the stepper cam in there. It's the linkage and the screw that is missing.

Sincerely,

Thea :(
  • thea67thea67 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1985 Dodge Ram D-150 and I wanted to ask, does anyone know how to do wheel conversions? I would like to up grade my wheels from 15" to 16" rims, but I don't want the speedometer to be off. My tires are P235/75R15 and I know if I put 16" rims I'll have to go with a lower profile tire, but the question is, how low would I need to go in order to compensate for the 75R15? If anyone could be of help on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thea
    225/75R16, 235/70R16, 255/65R16, or 275/60R16 will all keep your speedometer and odometer in check.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • rdt68rdt68 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 ram 1500... It began to have a slow crank on start-up, then after driving and shutting it off it would not start, not even turn over. Now, it won't even do anything... i think the start relay is making( hear it clicking) and i measured 12.3v at the starter. I don't have a clue, I'm hoping someone here does.
  • texaslegend55texaslegend55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel pickup inherited from my father-in law. Never had a diesel before. Last week, the truck started fine one afternoon from work, but when I started to leave, the truck would only get to about 15 mph. I proceeded down the road at this slow pace, and after stopping at a stop light, then proceeding at the same low speed, the truck jerked and all of a sudden I was able to achieve full speed. This same thing happened the next morning and afternoon so I haven't driven it since. I'm thinking this is not a fuel filter problem but maybe a fuel flow control valve solenoid problem. Any help here would be much appreciated.