Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

Comments

• raymerayme Member Posts: 1
    Wow, I had no Idea!! I had a 2004 and put 110k on with out any engine problems, well, any major engine issues. I now have a 2007 and at the ripe old age of 35,690 miles just threw a connecting rod threw its block. Fortunately the dealership has been more than great about it. I haven't picked it up yet, but have been assured everything is covered, all the way down to the tow. I was assured that the 3.6 is a fantastic engine and they, the dealership, has never seen any issues with it. I now find this a bit suspicious... On a positive note Cadillac insists that with an engine issue of this magnitude no part be reused, you heard me correctly, a 100% new from the crate engine. Hopefully I get more than 36k miles out of it! I will be checking back to keep all posted... Also, I was told there is a timing chain/belt recall, for this year anyway.
  • 04caddybaby04caddybaby Member Posts: 1
    So I had this exact same problem in my 2004 CTS. I had changed my oil 2 weeks before hand and I know with 100% certainty that everything was done correctly because i had done it. Well when i was out one night there was a knocking and sure enough blown engine. I got a used engine because GM no longer gives new engines out because there have been so many problems, and they do not offer rebuilds. They also recommend using mobile 1 10w-30 now instead of 5w-30 and checking your engine oil 1k miles and changing every 3k-4k miles.
  • cadyeldomancadyeldoman Member Posts: 5
    I have removed the timing cover to find the timing chains are not lined up correct. Two of the chain actuators (tighteners) are not pushing on the chain to keep tension. I am awaiting a new chain set to arrive but I do not see what has caused so much oil loss. I like the idea of using heavier oil as previously reccomended. My 05 CTS has 110,000 miles so I do not expect any warranty repair. I just wish someone could tell me where to look for this mysterios oil leak that does not drip or appear to burn. For now I will just have to reassemble and check the oil every week. I am not crazy about the idea of jacking the engine to remove the alternator- so I cheeted and removed the bolts from the right wheel well. And this is the first time I had to remove the steering pump pully to remove the pump-- This thing is built like a Nissan- and I hate Nissans!
  • detroitfandetroitfan Member Posts: 6
    I guess I am not the first person to have an issue with engine in my 2005 CTS. The oil seemed to disappear and now I have a blown engine, probably spun a bearing. If you check the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) and customer complaints you will find numerous issues with the engine, oil, timing chain, etc. I have called GM Customer Service, we shall see if MADE IN DETROIT still means anything!
  • natural_99_99natural_99_99 Member Posts: 7
    I have been a proud owner of my CTS until recently. I have made sure the oil was changed every 3,000 to 6,000 miles as needed. Just with in the last month my CTS started cutting back when my wife was driving it. I checked oil in car & it was fine. dealership did a diagnostic test on the car and contacted me that same day and advise that the CTS had no issues & everything checked out fine. Within two weeks she was experience same problem I checked oil level & it was no oil at all. Went to pick up some oil put in car. Then I test drove the CTS next day & had no problem until I picked up some speed then it cutback some and engine light came on. When I went out to leave on tuesday it would not start out all & had to have it towed to dealership. Thats when I was told that i need a new engine. The repairs would cost $6200. I have recommended Cadillac CTS to numerous people never again. I am disappointed I had a chrysler sebring before this car that I traded in with 230000 miles on it. Cadillac is suppose to be a step above that. Its wrong how this economy is set up to bail out GM but I can't even get a $6200 repair covered by the company that should have failed.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    natural_99_99,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me the case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    detroitfan,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    Consider defective valve seals. Years ago VWs/Audis also had sudden loss of oil, which turned out to be due to this problem.
  • gbonsalgbonsal Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a similar dilemma. I have a 2005 Cadillac CTS with just barely 40k miles on it and the engine seized. I checked the oil, the water, the belts, etc and everything is where is should be. The car has been in service for over 5 years so technically out of warranty, but an engine shouldn't fail at only 40K.
    I have contacted GM customer service about this and so far they are accepting no responsibility but are being very diplomatic and helpful... so far. I love the CTS, but I can't justify keeping it if there is a reliability issue. After the car sitting for over a month in my car port, the dealership I use and GM have made contact, but I have not heard anything yet as of today (7/14/11). I'm starting to regret ever buying this car. I didn't realize that there were issues like this with this model year. I have always been a fan of GM cars but starting to doubt myself. :sick:
    I feel your pain! I was contacted by a GM customer service rep (they should call then NON-SERVICE REPS) Reggie was very blunt and said there is no recalls on your vehicle (2005 CTS) therefore there is nothing we can, or will do for you!

I mentioned that I have had 7 GM vehicles, I guess loyalty means nothing to a company that borrowed my tax dollars! I also mentioned all of the similar oil problems and engine failures that are on blogs, forums, posts. it still made absolutely no difference. I can only tell you that I am no longer a GM customer and I will explain my experience to anyone that asks.

I foresee a Toyota experience if enough people complain about this exact issue....Recalls....class action.....come on GM, where is the American pride, or just plain customer service!!!
    Check my recent posts. I am in the GM sucks club too. My engine seized and customer service did absolutely nothing.
  • ceez1ceez1 Member Posts: 1
    i too am the owner of a 04 cadillac cts as are many others here and had my (actually my wifes ) cts engine fail TODAY! im appalled by the pattern ive seen in this thread, oil level was within range, info on dash read 34% engine oil life left ,i have dealer perform oil changes and any repairs necessary (which seem to have been many) ,has there been any help from gm on these recurring problems? any help would be greatly appreciated !
  • shaybea1shaybea1 Member Posts: 3
    I have spoke by email with cm rep from this site with no help. My husband and I purchased an 03 used with 90,000 miles on it. The car is used briefly each day because it was purchased as a 2nd vehicle. We were proud owners until the car started to leak a brown sludge like fluid. Took it in to an authorized gm dealer and their response was it could be several things, but they are all very costly so........just replace the engine........again! Apparently the car was on it's second engine and now with a possible oil cooler, head gasket or something else below the engine the best advice was.......just replace the engine. The coolant and transmission fluid is mixing and the best solution is to replace the engine. At this point we are preparing to purchase a new engine and have it dropped in, just to recover and not loose out on all our money that we paid to purchase this car. I am very disappointed in the lack of accountability that gm has shown. I too tell everyone that I meet and all owners that I come into contact with. Word of mouth is the strongest advertisement around, so good luck gm.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    just curious how many miles you have on the car now....you say you purchased it used with 90K on it....was it a GM certified vehicle from the dealer you purchased it from?.its not clear that you purchased the car from a dealer or not......If not....Im not sure what any manufacturer would honestly do for you on a car with nearly 100k on it? I understand your frustration with the car problems, but relly not sure what your expectations were from GM in this regards......I have two GM cars as well a 09 CTS with 37K on it...and an 04 Chevy Malibu with 185K on it....
  • cadyeldomancadyeldoman Member Posts: 5
    First find out what exactly is leaking. I knew a couple folks who had oil leaks and the auto mechanic told them the engine had bad oil seals (most expensive option). Turns out one had a bad oil pressure sending unit ($5 five minute fix) and the other had a bad drain plug seal (just had oil change). One mechanic offered a couple hundred dollars to "take it off her hands". Get a second opinion or check it out yourself. An oil leak will spread throughout the engine bay by wind, fan power, and gravity. So, clean the engine first- buy some engine degreaser and take the car to the car wash. let it cool for a few minutes then spray the engine down and let it soak for a few minutes (avoid as much electrical stuff as you can- there is alot). then power wash it clean and drive it home. let it dry, then take some old boxes, open them up into flat cardboard and place them under the car. Start the car and the leak should drop onto the cardboard to help you pinpoint its location. Plus, a cleaned engine makes tracing the start point so much easier. If the brown sludge is what you see on the dipstick then you are looking at a probable head gasket. It may also be in the coolant overflow bottle. A head gasket leak would cause a loss of coolant resulting in a slight overheating. This would cause a small overflow of the coolant tank which now would contain an oil/water mixture. My 2 Eldorados had gasket leaks (one from loss of serpentine belt by prior owner, the other by me pulling a big boat on a hot day in NJ traffic). I had to change head gaskets and install new thread inserts in top engine head bolt holes (local dealership loaned me the special kit for that and only charged me for the inserts I used). Often when you buy a used car you get something hidden that the prior owner just did not want to fix.
    I do not expect the manufacture to do anything at this point. I am mostly disturbed over replacing the engine and having the same thing happen again. I think the earlier year models could/should be recalled or at least reviewed.
    The funny thing is no sign of anything being wrong. Car drives normal, no smoke, no overheating, no hard starts, no back firing and now it isn't even leaking the sludge. We were told that the car could still be driven but that eventually it would go into engine failure. The folks at the Cadillac dealer were very nice and professional but brutally honest.
  • cadillacmomcadillacmom Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2006 CTS, and my engine blew last August on vacation. I didn't have any warning signs at all - no lights, no noises, and my car just stopped. There was a ticking noise as the engine died, and I still believe that the timing chain broke. My engine needed to be replaced because the timing chain caused the cam follower, and all the other damage to occur. I left my car in Nebraska from August 27th until November 15th, when it was finally fixed and I drove back to pick it up. It did take a long time to get GM Customer Service to make their decision, but they did a lot of checking with my dealer to see what my maintenance history was, etc. In the end, GM did agree to pay for a new engine block. If you have any hope of GM helping you in any way, you need to be very, very patient and let GM Customer service do their checking. If you need your car for transportation right away, then you'll probably be out of luck. I had another car to use for work, so I was able to wait out the decision. Sorry for your problems. I do love my CTS.
  • rob711rob711 Member Posts: 1
    hi.. are you still having problems with your CTS. I have a 2009 and started burning oil close to 25K miles. I'm at 40k now and have been doing oil consumption testing since 25k. i'm 1 to 1.5 qts low every 2-2,500 miles. the dealership says that's normal. this is crazy! Although it's good to hear I'm not alone with these concerns it still leaves me wanting to trade the CTS in before I hit 50K miles.
    any advise on what you have come up with since these posts in Mar 2010?
    thank you..
    rob711,
    Can you please email me with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into your situation further. I apologize for your frustrations.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • zebandcozebandco Member Posts: 22
    rob711, TRADE IT! I am really disappointed to hear the 09's have the same problem that has been around since 04-05. It's a design flaw and the best that GM will be able to do is give you another engine with the same problems. I loved my 05 STS and I am still in a GM product but I took it on the chin because I didn't trade mine when I realized there was a problem.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    edited July 2011
    do you have the direct injection engine or the standard one....just curious..I have an 09 as well..non DI engine....which was the upgraded option engine for the previous model year..which became the std one for 09.....
    approx 37K on mine..and no oil consumption....
  • 4u2no4u2no Member Posts: 7
    Looks like I am in the huge club of consumers who have a Cadillac and the Engine failed them. I own a 2004 CTS that is now sitting because yesterday it staled on the Highway because the engine seized and it now needs a new engine! My car only has 80000 miles! Not to mention all of the other problems I had with it before that. When I first got it we were stranded on the interstate because we ran out of gas! The fuel sending units were bad or it wasn't sending the gas like it should have! I have had problems keeping oil in it and we have changed the oil every 3 months. There are no oil leaks, but the oil seems to be very low before we are even supposed to change it. I am contacting GM like some of you have. I know they may do nothing for me, but I refuse to just let it go because we don't deserve this. We spend a great deal of money in the first place we shouldn't have to spend that much again just repairing it! I am not giving up on this one! I know it may not help some of you now, but it could save someone else from being hosed like us
  • mrvr2umrvr2u Member Posts: 8
    That seems like the only way our voices will be heard is to have a "class action" suit against GM. Cadillac is asking "way" too much for these machines and then do not want to be responsible when their coveted vehicle breaks down. It seems like there is no recourse for the consumer nowadays!
  • mrvr2umrvr2u Member Posts: 8
    I have had this same issue in my 2006 cts (3.6). I took it to the Cadillac Dealership here in Waldorf, Maryland (Ken Dixon) and they could not duplicate the problem. I even had the "big man" of the Service Department drive the vehicle and he couldn't duplicate the issue, even though I was sitting in the passenger seat with him and could feel what was going on. Cadillac does not want to be held accountable for the poor products they are putting out. I had to contact the Better Business Bureau and GM got in contact with me and try to give me some "bennies" for my problems. I will continue to fight, because they depend on us (customer) for their livelihoods and we should make them be accountable.
  • carlamorenocarlamoreno Member Posts: 15
    I'm sorry to hear of yet another Cadillac victim. I had a 2005 with 80000 on it and the exact same problem happened to me. I had no luck getting any help from GM. They will never admit fault because it would lead to miillions of dollars in repairs, a enpensive recall & admission of guilt. Cadillac has left a bad taste in mouth and I will never purchase GM again. That was my first and last. I ws lucky enough to find a buyer for my dead 2005 CTS that sat in my driveway before I finally decided what to do with it. I didn't get much for it but the peace of mind that the vehicle is no longer my problem helps me sleep at night. I have gone back to BMW and purchased an X3. At least I know they are reliable. I have a 97 528i that has nearly 200k miles on it an runs like a champ. Good luck to you..and please keep us all posted on and class actions suits that may arise. I would be the first to gladly sign on!
    Count me in! I had my engine blow and I received ZERO consideration from GM/Cadillac! I have owned 7 GM products....needless to say, I will never purchase a GM vehicle again. I had to replace my engine on my CTS, I am in no position to purchase a vehicle, When I am it will not be a GM! The list of dissatisfied Cadillac customers seems to be growing rapidly. Maybe we should pass this info onto Toyota....they can use it in their ad campaign....It's not just us (Toyota) that build crappy cars, Cadillac won't even address their problems.

Really sucks that we bailed out GM...and yet customers with the same problem keep getting hosed!
  • ghost14ghost14 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, tammysad , I know how you must have feel, I'm having the same problem with my 04 cadillac cts , engine light is on,due to gas cap, car shake's a little and once in awhile I do smell Burning oil, I was wondering if you could help me, did you ever got the engine light problem fix? if so please help me. Ever since the light came on I've just can't get it to go off. Thanks
    My advice owning a 2004 Cadillac CTS with 83000 miles myself is, GET RID OF IT before it is to late! My cadillac like many others is sitting on a trailer with engine failure. It needs a brand new engine that will cost $7000 to fix so I am looking at my options right now. I am going through customer service now, but as others have stated I don't think I will get anywhere with them.
    I as well am going to continue to fight. If you need someone to back you in this I would be glad to!
    My car has been down 3 months now I posted back in June, was contacted by customer service & giving case # only to have GM say there was nothing they could do. GM does not stand by it's product at all. I took car in when I knew I was having trouble & mechanic says you have to wait till car has more frequent problems. What great advice now my engine is completely gone what an idiot. GM if you couldn't even come out of your pocket with one red cent to help get my car fix the least you can do STOP SENDING me promotions for a new car. I will never buy from GM again I rather buy the new KIA SOUL. So if you so kindly can put in another customer service ticket & request that mailings from GM be stopped. Can you handle that GM? hope your stock drops another 30%.
  • erycuserycus Member Posts: 7
    Amen Brother! GM did absolutely nothing for me, I ended up getting a used engine. I have shared my GM/Cadillac experience with many people, I am on board should there be a class action suit.
  • erycuserycus Member Posts: 7
    I just got a phone call from an associate, he asked me where I found the used engine for my 05 CTS. He has/had an 03, and low and behold the engine failed. When does this reoccurring problem stop being a coincidence....Come on Cadillac/GM, admit it....YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR PRODUCTS!
    erycus,
    If you would like to send me your VIN I would be happy to look into it for you. I apologize for any frustrations. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    natural_99_99,
    Can you please send me your VIN and your case number? I would like to look into the situation further. I apologize for your frustrations and concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • carlamorenocarlamoreno Member Posts: 15
    Don't expect much from "Christina GM Cust Serv". She has the same generic reply to everyone on here and they have yet to do anything about all of our engine problems. They are a joke. I'm sure they will tell you they you need to have the car inspected by THEIR mechanics at YOUR expense and unless they find and admit fault there is nothing they can or will do for you.
    Best of luck. I'm hoping a class action suit will come of out of all of this someday. One can opnly wish.........
  • special_k54321special_k54321 Member Posts: 2
    Today was my day to find out that the knocking that came on suddenly was because there was only half a quart of oil left in the oil pan and metal shavings coming from the engine.

My oil has always been changed at the dealership where I bought my brand new Cadillac 6 years ago and I changed it regularly. They are charging me $8000 to replace my engine. Out of despiration I called my insurance company at first they declined but shortly after called back and said they would investigate. I am crossing my fingers and my toes.

After reading all your posts, I don't have much hope that GM will help what so ever. I believe I will start doing what I see others do...the day before the warranty runs out, I will sell.

Six months ago, the seat sensor for the air bag broke on the passenger side. My dealership quoted me over $650 to repair it. I just found out that on August 3, 2011 GM put out a safety recall on this issue. Good thing I didn't put out that money to have it fixed.

You'd think that a motor seizing could be a safety issue?! Right?
    I had that same problem last year had to shell out about $600 then. I feel your pain on the engine issue.
  • special_k54321special_k54321 Member Posts: 2
    I did check oil regularly despite never needing to add oil. After 6 yrs of owning my CTS the oil went from being at the proper level to only 1/2 a quart left in under 3wks and approximately 300miles of driving. (I made a habit of checking it once a month)

I also always had the oil changed a little ahead of scheduled and at the Cadillac dealership from where I purchased the car.

The issue that a lot of people are describing are not oil issues...the engines are not built properly.
    yes after reading everyone with same issue. this is crazy.
    It's funny to me how GM got billions in government assistance to stay a float but we the consumers can get no assistance from them, I am praying that class action suit happens.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I did check oil regularly despite never needing to add oil.

Yeah, back when I wrote that nearly everyone who posted with the grenading engine seemed to be of the opinion that the car should take care of itself or at least give some warning well in advance of losing all oil pressure. Since then another person (besides yourself) posted who had carefully checked his oil right up until the week or two when the engine self-destructed. So, I've changed my opinion -- checking the oil may not help at all, though it might help detect the onset of the real problem before the engine goes south. An oil level sensor would help as well.

Either way, the engine design is obviously flawed. This is simply not a few anecdotal incidents; there are too many. I guess GM is figuring that it's still well under 1% (made up number), so ignoring it is the best policy.

It's a shame, since the rest of the car seems to be really nice & even the engine's good. . .most of the time.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • zebandcozebandco Member Posts: 22
    Good luck, erycus. If you get more than "your oil was low" or "the dealership is investigating" I want to know. GM is clearly turning a blind eye to this issue.
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    I don't drive a CTS, but have followed this forum with interest because I have always admired this car. It seems that there has not been an explanation in this forum of the cause of these engine failures.

The other issue is that when a lot of complaints appear in these forums, Consumer Reports usually reports similar reliability issues in their large database. Thus, when many anecdotal complaints occur, they are an indicator of an important issue that is usually confirmed when large numbers of vehicles are considered.

However, in this case, CR reports no major engine problems except for the 2003 model year (head gasket problems that year). There have been minor engine issues (oil leaks) from 2003-05, which don't appear to explain the problems in this forum. Otherwise, the engine has been reported to be reliable.

So, it seems that the issue is a little confused: what is going wrong, and why have these problems not been confirmed by CR? It may be difficult to obtain satisfaction from GM if these questions remain unanswered.
  • bigjohn281bigjohn281 Member Posts: 15
    It is my belief that because GM has some service advisors combing through the complaints contacting them directly and because some of the dealerships are manipulating the warranties under "camshaft sensor problems " that the number of official complaints is kept down .
  • wyatts4wyatts4 Member Posts: 1
    This is my second Cadillac CTS the first one was a 2004 with engine problems at 50,000 miles (I thought it had to be a lemon) So I gave Cadillac a second chance and purchased a 2006 CTS. Currently the car is in the shop (week 3) The cam timing sensor was the original diagnosis.. when the check engine light came on. I have an extended warranty and the warranty company approved this repair but then the shop called to say the motor needed to be replaced. My service and oil change records are up to date. The warranty company sent an adjustor to the dealership and they said that they would not pay for the motor because the dealership did a "decarbonizing treatment" on the motor and this left metal flakes which ruined the motor. The dealership said the warranty company just doesn't want to pay. So, I had the car towed to another dealership for a second opinion. I am waiting for the warranty adjustor to come back out and look at the engine. Apparently the "lower end of the engine is ruined"- the bearings and crankshaft. I am not sure how this will turn out, but I bought the Cadillac expecting to have a quality car I could count on. I will never purchase another Cadillac. I am thoroughly disgusted with the car and associated unreliability.
    zebandco,
    What was your case number with Cadillac Customer Assistance? Can you email me with your VIN and more information about your experience? I look forward to your response. :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    bigjohn281,
    Can you please email me with your concerns, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    special_k54321,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. By chance have you contacted GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
    Actually I am positive that their was no indication what so ever! I had the same exact problem and there is a Low Oil Level indicator and a oil life percentage. The percentage was always well above 50% and the low oil level didn't come on to warn me. We changed oil every three months ourselves so we know it was done properly. I had to take my car in for check engine light and the oil was dangerously low and no indication that it was getting low! This was mostly in town driving that I was doing also. That only happened like 2 times because I double checked it. Then 2 years later my engine went! I am getting a second opinion on mine. I also contacted GM customer service which was a joke! They didn't offer any help or sympathy to me at all! It is an 04 CTS with 83,000 miles. So I don't think this problem is the consumer at all. Good luck to them on getting GM to do anything!