Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• terrelldavisterrelldavis Member Posts: 2
    If Pontiac comes out with any more straight concept to production vehicles like the Aztec then it will be phased out just like Oldsmobile. I'm sure there are some people who own one and like their Azteks, but I see a poor resale value and hard to find parts after they see that it isn't selling well and cease prodcution on it. The back end of it looks like a citation. Way to go Pontiac. I'm sure this will be a hit just like the Fiero and LeMans.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I think you have hit on a very big point for us "Aztek-dislikers."

The IDEA of the Aztek is solid, the features are solid, the utility, build quality, ride, etc are solid. So why did Pontiac wrap it in such a polarizing body? It seems so counter-productive becasue I think if they had wrapped it in a more conventional 2-box body, they would be selling as many as they could make.

On an completely different point, I notice how many people talk about how well the Aztek drives compared to other SUV's. I always chuckle at this since it is far more indicative of how BADLY traditional SUV's drive as opposed to how well the Aztek drives. CAR drivers say the Aztek is floaty and leans a lot in turns, and SUV drivers say it is solid and rides better then any SUV they tested. Let's face it, mini-vans drive VERY nicely and have far more interior space then SUV's in general, and the Aztek IS A MINIVAN in SUV-Clothing.

See.. we can discuss this vehicle's pros and cons withour resorting to name calling and labeling. :-)
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    sporin- "MINIVAN in SUV-Clothing"? Well I'll agree with the 1st half of that statement. Even Pontiac is smart enough not to use the SUV moniker and Aztek in the same sentence. :-)

-Frank P.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    I agree the "idea" behind the Aztek isn't bad.
    However the execution of the concept is the cause for my ire. The prototype was actually kind of cool looking. It was one color, without any gray plastic. The wheels appeared to fit. It had some curves to it as opposed to the angular and slab sided look of the actual thing.

Once again GM ruins a good idea with poor execution and lets the accountants run the show.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The concept car is pictured 3/4 down this page, still not my cup of tea, but a much more palatable look IMHO. I think it would have sold better.
    http://www.autoextremist.com/page4.shtml#e
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    the concept also had a good amount of grey plastic outside.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Hey, have you guys watched the Dark Angel? The guy there drives an Aztek.

Just wanted to share that bit of info.
  • kelmosheakelmoshea Member Posts: 11
    I hate to say it but a lot of those SUV prototypes look a lot like the Aztek. Low to the ground, smaller than usual wheels... I think GM is just a little ahead of their time. People aren't used to that look yet. I have had people say they don't like the looks of my Aztek, but when they take it for a ride they almost always want one of their own. I think they will catch on, but everything new takes time.
    By the way, I was in an accident with my new Aztek. That gray plastic protected the paint and didn't even crack. You can't tell my vehicle was even in a fender bender. But the Grand Am that hit me has a huge dent in the front and the damage is very noticeable!
    To all you new Aztek owners, ENJOY!!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Great article in the new Automobile magazine truck/SUV issue this month.
  • lbthedoglbthedog Member Posts: 198
    Didn't expect all the comments to be roses here, but aren't those of you who choose to blast the Aztek getting a bit bored? I bought one back in August and I have warmed to the styling. Wish there was a wiper on the rear window and the wheels were a bit bigger (the snow flake wheels from the Bonneville SLE would be just right) but I am pleased with my purchase. In fact that my purchase annoys so many self appointed so called experts, so much the better.
    Does anyone else think that Edmunds hired layed off Aztek designers to "improve" this forum?
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    No, it's not just you. This "improved" format is like the Aztek...just plain goofy.
  • volspattvolspatt Member Posts: 1
    We have now owned our Aztek for two months and we love it. Just completed the J. D. Power survey and had only one very, very minor point. No car we have ever purchased (in any price range)has been this problem free. The car is fun to drive. We have used it on all types of road conditions and it always has adequate power. We think it is the ultimate "empty nester" vehicle. All of the good attributes of a car with the utility of a van. Nothing else we looked at was even close. The unusual exterior draws an incredible amount of attention, but everyone we know who has taken the time to look at it up close has loved it. We would not hesitate to recommend it.
  • garthodinsongarthodinson Member Posts: 37
    Isn't it funny how all the people who own an Aztek really like it? And those of you who don't own one, pan it?

By the way, we are not "LAYED" off pontiac engineers. We are Americans that like our vehicle. Are you jealous because maybe you can't afford one?

Or maybe you all are strict conformists?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071
    Hey, if you see an Aztek with one of those Michigan "manufacturer" license plates, it's probably being driven by a GM executive. Faced with thousands of unsold Azteks in inventory and little chance of moving them any time soon, GM has forced 2800 of their execs to turn in their company cars and drive Azteks. Man, I've heard of getting a turkey as a Christmas bonus, but this is ridculous.

The good news is that you can probably get a good deal on an "executive-driven" Bonneville, Park Avenue or Caddy. Might be the best thing about the Aztek.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• kend1kend1 Member Posts: 10
    I have several questions for the Aztek experts in this discussion. I have heard that Azteks are selling in the southern California area... true or false? Is there going to be a Chewy clone to the Aztek soon? Several posts speak of current prices for the Aztek that are below invoice,(ie. $17,999),are these prices in certain areas or are they pervasive? Finally what are the possibilities of a re-styling soon? Thanks.
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    Concerning your question about Azteks selling in Southern California, I rarely see one here.
    Although I am not crazy about the looks, the utility and decent build quality are undeniable. With 1.9% lease rates and dealers wanting them off the lots, I am very tempted to lease one and give it a try.

Does anyone know if one can get the larger tires put on the base model? I don't like the small tires.
  • ngliebengliebe Member Posts: 11
    In theory, Pontiac was attempting to fill a niche with a hybrid
    of the mini-van and the SUV. Not a bad idea.
    The execution was a catastrophe. Voted as the ugliest production vehicle since the Matador and Gremlin,
    the Aztec is rumored to be terminated next year if sales continue
    to not happen. Not to mention, even moreso risky to
    purchase because it is built by GMs lowest end brand. The dealer near me jokes that he can't give 'em away for anything close to the minimum of what they are supposed to get for it. Fortunate for him, he sells alot of mini-vans and Bonnevilles.
    At year end, they'll sell you one for $15,999 loaded. What a waste of money. May the [non-permissible content removed]-Tek rest in peace.
    Here in Canada the Aztek runs from $30k to $38k. Even if it wasn't so hideous-looking, that is one pile of money. Maybe they could do some serious rebates -- $5k of so -- if they need to move them. They are starting to stack up on dealer lots. The 2 Pontiac dealers here have nearly 80 between them, which is more than just about any other model. I have seen only one on the road, and that was an out-of-province one (Ontario plates, could have been one of those GM executive-driven cars). I'm amazed that with the heavy incentives they have placed on Oldsmobiles following the announcement they are killing the name, that they haven't taken fire-sale measures with the Aztek. They should have saved Olds and axed the Aztek.

Pontiac missed their mark on this vehicle. Sales are dismal, and the median age of purchasers is 42 years old. How many young adventurous people are going to buy a $25,000 mini van posing as an SUV? I am not knocking the practicality or quality of the Aztek, with less polarizing styling it could be a big success. But I think the vehicle as it sits is a tribute to confusion and lack of vision at GM. Ford's Focus has hit the demographic square on, Median age is 24 and sales are through the roof.
    Not sure where you live but in the Toronto area, Azteks are being advertised for as little as $24,900 CDN (about $17k US) cash or 0.9% 48 month financing. You can probably do better also. I have seen a total of 5 on the road in the past 2 months, only 1 with dealer plates.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    you are wrong. Pontiac is not the lowest GM brand.
    Anyone find it ironic that when you do a topic search here on Edmund's for "aztek" the first topic listed is "ugliest vehicles of all time".

There are some good Aztek jokes in the current edition of Autoweek mag.:

A family accidentally drives their Aztek off the road into a lake. The fish, after seeing the Aztek, get together to remove the water pollution.

After hearing that GM is already redesigning the Aztek a Ford designer said "Hopefully they are just going to make the tent big enough to cover the whole thing"
  • mateyomateyo Member Posts: 22
    In my driving life, I have owned the following GM vehicles:
    1975 Pontiac Astre (Vega clone)
    1979 Buick Century Sport Coupe (the fastback)
    1981 Olds Omega (X-car)
    1986 Chevy Cavalier (not weird, just boring)
    1990 Geo Storm (not sure how history is treating this one)

I strayed to a Honda del Sol in 95 until I got my current Olds (RIP) Alero in 99. So given my colorful GM past, it's only natural that the Aztek has completely won my heart.

I rented one on a recent weekend trip and was amazed at its high build quality, comfort, versatility and practicality. Three other people were with me and everyone enjoyed the ride, and one even complimented its looks! (The other two didn't say anything, maybe to be polite.) My mom and dad thought it was neat too. I had a total blast in that hmmm... vehicle.

Let's see... with fire sale pricing, and another $1K from Oldsmobile, and dealers so anxious to sell that they'd probably inflate my trade value, I may be riding in style by next week! OK, not everybody's idea of style, but it's a "style" just the same.
    Hey, Good luck if you get one. I'm sure they
    ride well and are comfortable--even somewhat safe. The problem seems to me that the Pontiac brand is questionable--and the exterior is absolutely hideous. However, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks,...If you like it, you should get it. I still think the idea behind it is great. As a designer, I'm not wild about the looks.
    Where can you rent an Aztek??
    Some people want others to believe that this vehicle is the death of GM. They couldn't be more wrong. Sure they wish they sold more. But parts of the Aztek story are going unnoticed. The Ramos plant has already begun building the Buick Rendezvous. If need be, they can build more Buicks and less Pontiacs. Buick has done a much better job introducing this vehicle. What has also been overlooked is the quality of the vehicles being delivered. You tell me who's doing a better job? Ford or Pontiac? Escape ain't exactly lighting the world on fire. This alone is amazing for GM. This vehicle line is not a huge investment for GM. It's significant and they better find a way making money. But the speed of engineering and intial quality numbers are outstanding for GM.
    Escape not setting the world on fire? November sales were 13,000, putting them at #6 in SUV sales. YTD sales are 31,303, GM would kill to have sales figures like that. The only GM SUV that outsold it in Nov. was the Chevrolet Tahoe. The media sweetheart PT Cruiser sold 11,371. GM and all the manufacturers make money selling vehicles, so GM has a lot to worry about. 20% of GM models will be going away in the next couple of years, this info is from GM itself. A slow seller like the Aztek would be a likely target.
    True snuff. Escape is selling like hotcakes in spite of many problems and 5 recalls. Says a lot about the attractiveness of it. Aztek will never have the wide scale appeal of an Escape, but then again it was never suppose to. The Buick version will probably best Aztek at least 2:1 with in a month or two of release.
  • mrbumblemrbumble Member Posts: 3
    I am planning to buy another vehicle (4x4 or AWD) in the spring. I have ignored conference hyperbole and have done my best to be objective. My 1986 GMC Jimmy 4x4 is getting rather long of tooth and it's certainly time for a change. As with olives I find attraction to the Pontiac Aztek to be an acquired taste. I have been very satisfied with my Jimmy and the treatment I have received from the Pontiac dealership and do feel significant brand loyalty to GM. One major problem I am having is with MSRP. As an Ontario, Canada resident I have done my homework. Below are the MSRP's for the "loaded" vehicles which I have considered.

Ford Escape XLT $33,455 CNDN

Mazda Tribute ES $34,150 CNDN

Hyundai Santa Fe GLS $29,250 CNDN

Toyota RAV4 $33,965 CNDN

Pontica Aztek $41,270 CNDN

I am very much aware of the strengths and shortcomings of all of these vehicles and will spare you from having to read all of that again here. I am retired and long of tooth as well. The next vehicle I buy will undoubtedly be my last. I want a 4x4/AWD because I am too old and pooped to push in the snow. MSRP and gas mileage are issues because I don't have deep pockets. Of course I don't know what I would actually have to pay for any of the above but I assume a correlation between purchase price and MSRP.

From my perspective the Aztek is just too expensive to be included in the same group as the others. At the moment it appears that I am going to have to do my best to "escape" the Aztek's higher MSRP. At these prices I just can't afford brand loyalty.

Nevertheless I must also say that, if I could afford it, I'd just love to scare my neighbors!
    You would not be paying anywhere near those numbers for anything other than the maybe the RAV4. Base Azteks are going for under 25k CDN and a loaded one would run not much more than $30K CDN.
  • mateyomateyo Member Posts: 22
    You can rent an Aztek at Avis. I rented the one I drove at Dallas Love Field, but I know that the O'Hare and LaGuardia locations both have them available. (ORD has a ton of them.)
    Thanx for the tip mateyo. If I need a rental I will definitely ask for an Aztek.

Just read an interesting article in the 12/18 issue of Business Week. One of the main points they made was that the Aztek is over priced for it's 20 something target. Probably true. This vehicle seem to have more young fans and since it's made in Mexico, one would think GM could drop prices a bit. I'm sure if they did, sales would go up. Restyling the front would also help a lot.
    In my overpriced post I was quoting what the GM web site gave me, and I see someone else got up to $41k. It may well be that they are being havily discounted but there is no "official" GM program I can find. Given that, I doubt that the $41k number could be had in the mid-$20s as you say.

As for restyling the front end, I agree, it is bad... but not nearly as bad as the back! It looks like someone welded a Wonder bread truck onto a minivan.

Check the Toronto Star. Base models (still well eqiped with auto, air, cruise, CD) are advertised everywhere for under $25K CDN. That is with no negotiation. I'm sure a loaded GT can be had for around $30K. MSRP means nothing these days. there is an oversupply and dealers want to move cars. Even Toyota and Honda have 1.9% and 3.9% financing right now on some cars/trucks.
  • garthodinsongarthodinson Member Posts: 37
    If you look at the shadow of an Aztek, and look at the shadow of the lexus, and a few others, you see an almost identical shadow! SO it seems that it is the specific details of the front end and rear that people have the problem with.

I am a sci-fi buff and recently had a chance to watch an old logan's run tv show episode, and what did the vehicle look like? An Aztek!!!

So it would seem that the Aztek was predicted by the series, or maybe the designers of the Aztek happened to be fans of the show. . . . .
    Are you saying the Aztek is like a creature from a Japanese Sci-Fi movie?

The moral: The Aztek proves that man's ability to tamper with the forces of nature exceed his ability to comprehend what he has wrought.
    (Fade to scene in which an Aztek rises from Lake Michigan and destroys what is left of GM)
  • pilot374pilot374 Member Posts: 8
    A few posts back some Aztek sales figures were posted showing that they had not even reached 10,000 yet. Where were those figures obtained from??
    Over time this vehicle will do well. As a consumer there are some things that matter more than the "shiny package" they come in. No doubt that many of the people that do not care for the first generation U.-vans don't care for this. I do not know what values in other areas are like but around here, they've done very well as far as long time value goes. In fact some Taxi companies are running with them. They have proven to be very durable vehicles. Maybe it's a perception but this vehicle feels solid. And even if it's outselling it, the Escape having 5 recalls at the time of launch,well that's unacceptable. If it wasn't right, why did they start building it? But than again, the Escape is probably getting a lot of Explorer customers anyway.

I like my Aztek. It may not appeal some, many , any, you pick the adjective. I do not understand why the same half dozen people continue to complain about it. No matter what you say, this thing gets a lot of attention. But that's not why I bought it. It's not a bad deal considering it's capabilities. And the prices quoted around here, well the low ones are closer to the truth. If you know how to buy a car that is.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    The sales figures for any vehicle sold in the US are available on JD Power's web site. The web address is www.jdpower.com
    For those of you who like the Aztek there are deals to be had.
    There are several dealers here advertising give-away deals on them. One dealer is advertising "Every Aztek $4,000 off MSRP- No add ons"
    History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
    You are wise beyond your years.
    We shall bow our heads...
    "Please forgive them, for they know not what they do". And I thought the highway billboards were ugly...they just stood still. These things move around. However, it's their money.
    Diversity makes the world go 'round.
    By the way,...The shadow of my hand looks almost identical to the shadow of my German Shepard. For some weird reason, the dog still makes a better pet.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    mrbumble: Do your self a favor and before you pay that kind of price look at a MB ML320. It's in the same price range, but a much better vehicle. It's AWD has traction control and is listed as the safest SUV on the market.

I made the switch from GM and couldn't be happier.
    bob : There is now way a ML320 is anywhere near the price of any Aztek (or any mid-size GM SUV for that matter). Sure the ML 320 is a great truck, but you pay for it.
  • pilot374pilot374 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the JD Power link bporter1...

I want to purchase an Aztek: it is useful, drives incredably smooth, and is drastically different. It worries me that they have not sold well however. It seems that Pontiac may have to try to do something different. Are they planning to restyle the Aztek? Have sales picked up lately as my local dealers are claiming?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Actually, that's not necessarily true. If we look at the MSRP of the Canadian prices, the '01 ML320 Classic is only about CDN$6K+ more expensive than the Aztek. The Acura MDX is also another possibility around that price range.

FWIW, I believe less than 300 Azteks have been sold in the whole of Canada since its debut. Not a very impressive showing, considering that the population is about 30 million. I have noticed that the Azteks that were hidden in the backlots have just recently been placed at the front of the dealerships. I wonder if the GM HQ had anything to do with this? Why, oh why, do they have to use that hideous (IMHO) almost neon green Aztek though?

Drew
    Host of Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Well I don't know about you, but $6k is a lot of money to me. Further, you will pay no where near list for an Aztek. The ML320 price will not deviate much from list. I would say the difference would end up being more like C$10-12K.
  • squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
    I was patiently waiting for the AWD Aztek (which should have been offered when the vehicle debuted), and have come to discover this AWD "Vibe" wagon that will be a 2002. If this thing is what I think it will be, I'll probably wait a little longer and get one of those instead. I think it may be everything the Aztek wants to be, minus the tent. Does anyone else think this may be the better vehicle for "SRV" use? I started a topic in station wagons, but there's no interest yet...