Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• tbrown_4tbrown_4 Member Posts: 27
    Uh kissfan, regarding those "true tests", in the insurance institute's offset test, the Aztek scored a Marginal, which is only one step above poor. It didn't do particularly well in the NHTSA's tests either. This is hardly an impressive showing when compared with the rest of the class. Even its sibling the Rendezvous scored an Acceptable which is not particularly impressive for a new vehicle, but at least better than a marginal.

The JD Powers survey shows that the Aztek owners are happy with their vehicles. Nothing more, nothing less. If they're able to get over the relatively shocking looks of the vehicle, I would expect nothing less.
  • exzurexzur Member Posts: 166
    I looked at the NHTSA crash test for the Aztek and the Rendezvous. The Aztek airbag deploying late is the only reason I could see why the overall rating is marginal as compared to RDV's acceptable. This could be an Aztek with a bad airbag tested by the NHTSA.

Kissfan summed up what I've been experiencing with my Aztek.

Another AZTEK SMILE!!!
    Excerpts from NHTSA's crash test. First pharagraph is for the Rendezvous. The next one is for the Aztek.

"RESTRAINTS/DUMMY KINEMATICS: MARGINAL Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. There was far too much upward movement of the steering wheel and at the same time the driver's seat pitched forward toward the wheel. During rebound, the dummy's head did not come close to any stiff structure that could cause injury."

"RESTRAINTS/DUMMY KINEMATICS: MARGINAL The airbag deployed late, and the dummy's head nearly contacted the steering wheel through the airbag. There was also too much upward steering wheel movement. Otherwise, dummy movement was reasonably well controlled -- during rebound, the dummy's head did not come close to any stiff structure that could cause injury."

In the RDV, there was far too much movement of the steering wheel as compared to the Aztek too much movement of the steering wheel.

Were not for the Aztek airbag deploying late, the Aztek safety factor is better.

If the airbag deploying late is common to all Azteks. Pontiac must fix it.
  • jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    Geez, I was kinda hoping the safety would be better than the Transport/Montana.... well at least it got a "M" vs a "P".... but it is still unbelievable that in this day CRV, RAV-4 and Hyundai Santa-Fe provide stronger passenger compartments (that hold their shape) than the much larger Pontiac.
  • noastarnoastar Member Posts: 108
    Does anyone know if there is a supercharger made for the aztek's engine? Does a supercharger have to be make/model specific, or are they generic? Do they void warranty or are thier some that pontiac endorses/installs? Just curious. Don't really think my Tek needs more power, but hey...you can't have too much.

As for safety. I feel very safe in my Tek. Remember the limitations of Crash testing. Don't compare cars of very different sizes. The Rav4 is I think 1000lbs less. Also remember that barriers are stationary. The Aztek's 2ton body would be a great advantage when hitting a smaller car (sorry small car). The airbag did deploy late, hopefully that won't happen on them all. The 2001 Dodge grand caravan had fuel line leaks in the ones tested! Yikes! The Ford F150 was nearly dismantled in IIHS tests, but did wonderfully on NHTSA tests.

One must remember that a crash is a dynamic process with far more variables than can be replicated. Don't get me wrong, crash tests serve a purpose in giving you a very GENERAL idea of how a car MIGHT do in a crash. The Aztek is probably not the safest car out there, but it's not bad.
  • pontiacaztek2pontiacaztek2 Member Posts: 1
    In reference to post #2964....

One of the members of the Aztek brand management team told me that the none of the vehicles interior attributes would be deleted for 2002. That's the first thing I asked when I called them...
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I don't believe I've seen much mention of the air conditioning and heating in the Azteks. Does anyone use one or the other often? Is the air conditioning good enough to cool that large interior in summer heat?

Since I'm on this topic, might as well ask if the air conditioning puts a noticeable burden on the engine?
  • gregeastongregeaston Member Posts: 128
    Having purchased the tek in April I haven't had much use for the heat yet, but I used the A/C almost everyday this summer. It works very well. Almost too well. I found myself shutting off or at least turning the vents away from me to keep from getting too cold. Even at the lowest setting.

As for burden, I really didn't notice any, and I was paying attention to that so I could compare mileage with it and without it.
  • noastarnoastar Member Posts: 108
    The AC system is great. The cool can take a minute or two to cool down the interior (this is in 90 degree weather, a black car, and with leather). Once it does get the car cool it gets downright cold and I put it on the lowest setting and point it away. No noticable drain on the engine's power.

We've had some very cold mornings here in Ohio so I've gotten to use the heat. I do have some qualms with it. Notice when you use A/C that when you throw one of the knobs to the heat section it shuts off the air (this is for dual zone). The AC doesn't get warmer, it just shuts off the air. That's fine. however when you turn off the AC and push them both to heat the air is still being "cut off". This makes the heater louder than the AC. Don't think the lack of airflow is a bad thing though. The Aztek's engine runs incredibly hot (within it's normal working range it's still a very hot engine). The heat from the heater can literally burn you. The knobs get uncomfortable to the touch on the vents. So you can get a very slight flow of extremely hot air. Turn it down a bit toward the cold and airflow increases while temp decreases. Pretty nice system.

Also, the seat warmers rock! I never realized that even with jeans leather is freezing. Within a few minutes though my butt is toasty warm. It also heats your lower back which is nice for long rides even when it's not cold out.

All in all very good system. The heater's a bit loud, but other than that no probs. You get warm air within seconds.
  • kermitekkermitek Member Posts: 120
    nextmoon - Our HVAC works great on our Aztek. We got it on 8/1/01, a very hot day and I remember being impressed at its raw cooling power. I took it for a drive on a hot humid night when we first got it, had the AC going, and re-aimed the nozzles away. They were blowing so cold they caused condensation - on the OUTSIDE of the windows!

tbrown_4 - I'm still giddy about the JD Power award - this is a significant award, and it's not just that the owners are satisfied - they are jubilant! Some other GM vehicles also won the award this time around, including the Corvette, the Grand Am and the TrailBlazer. GM is on the move. Here's a link to the Reuters article:

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirf2_20011002.htm

jmatero - Perhaps you could gain more accurate insight from taking a closer look at actual data (ie numerical results) from the NHTSA web site as for crashworthiness of the Aztek vs the others you mentioned. NHTSA's tests, as stated by noastar above, are with fixed barriers and NHTSA cautions against comparing across weight classes. But to level the comparison a little, if you feel compelled to compare these vehicles, look at the absolute data from the tests (see www.nhtsa.org for technical definitions):

format:

make/model - HIC (drvr/pass) - chest - femur - thoracic - pelvic

Honda CR-V: 453/438 - 57/48 - 766|772/1172|518 - 57/57 - 84/69

Aztek: 685/430 - 57/48 - 268|290/321|270 - 39/75 - 52/113

2001 RAV4: 525/405 - 52/56 - 217|885/401|419 - no side data.

Santa Fe - I could not find results.

[BTW, the RAV4's results were MUCH improved vs the 2000 RAV4].

From the data, the only numbers out of the surprisingly close pack of these results were the driver-side Aztek HIC, and the high femur loads in the CR-V. Hardly a poor showing for the Aztek. I did not copy the Montana numbers but recall them being clearly worse than the Aztek, especially the femur loads. And let's not forget who would have the upper hand if a 3200-lb CR-V or a 3100-lb RAV4 cares to tangle with our 3800-lb Aztek....

For more safety info, see my safety page at www.mwshowgo.com/kermit/safety.htm . It shows pictures of structural differences between the Aztek and Montana.

Someone asked about superchargers - take a look at the discussions under way on www.grandamgt.com where they are hot on the trail of getting the GM certified supercharger kits for their cars, whose engines AFAIK are identical to that of the Aztek (except for possibly a slightly hotter cam in the Aztek).

One more side note: I read an article in the paper today where a Toyota Camry owner was writing to an expert asking if they could replace their locks with tumblers out of a Pinto! Why? Apparently anyone with $100 can get a master set of keys and simply drive your Camry away (and it happened to that hapless owner). Hmm... won't be happening to us, thanks to PassKey III on our Aztek!

Very very nice! Good to know I can turn myself into a popsicle if I chose too :) Only vehicle I've experienced such a powerful AC was on the 2001 Voyager minivan. I was freezing within minutes and I couldn't aim the vents far enough away from me. Ended up turning it on and off.

kermitek: what exactly is the PassKey III?
  • lbthedoglbthedog Member Posts: 198
    The Aztek and a lot of the GM cars and trucks have a magneticly encoded lock tumbler in the ignition switch. In other words, if you bust out the lock cylinder and turn the switch, the vehicle will not start. The resistance of the tumbler is memorized by the PCM. This is unlike the older systems that put chips in the keys. There are ways to defeat the system which entails putting the PCM into a learn mode but it takes a long (by a car thief standard) time to beat. And unlike the chip keys, the replacement keys are only a buck or two.
  • kissfan2kissfan2 Member Posts: 17
    Excellent post..... re matero. This is an arguement that you can never win. He is the lst of a group who seek negative stances on the AZTEK.

Owners are delighted....... the Vehicle is Safe........ And proving to age well.

All the NAYSAYERS from a year ago are lost......

; ) wearing the AZTEK smile!!
    "Continuing to be in a class by itself, Aztek sports a fresh new look with a monotone exterior, a new rear spoiler and larger wheels and tires. Pricing will start at $19,995 MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) for the front-wheel drive model and $22,995 for the Versatrak all-wheel drive model (destination of $550 not included)."
    $1,450(MSRP) less, plus more standard equipment for the base FWD Aztek. The AWD is $1,115(MSRP) less.

Nextmoon, Are there other standard equipment added to the base AWD Aztek. If you know the invoice and the prices for optional equipment, please share it with us.

When I bought my Aztek in April, the reference point for negotiating a good deal was the invoice price.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The 2002 Aztek prices have dropped C$2000, the base 2WD now has a sticker of C$27,995. I am thinking the discounts will not be as good so the actual selling prices will not change much. That said, the new look and lower list price will probably attract a lot of new customers.
    When I see more info on standard equipment and invoices, I'll be sure to post them here. The Pontiac website has a pop-up page that saids info is coming soon but no specific dates. I hate teasers like that!

On a different topic, the CBS show "Survivor" will not be pitching the Aztek anymore this coming season. Instead it'll be the Chevy Avalanche.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Saw this on the Motor Trend web site, thought you might be interested. - snip -

2002 Pontiac Aztek: Better Looks, Lower Price [10/3/01] Pontiac Aztek enters the 2002 model year with, among other features, a new look, a two-model strategy -- front-wheel and all-wheel drive -- and lower Manufacturers Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP) for both models. A reduction of $2000 in the MSRP lowers the base price of the two-wheel-drive model to $27,295, and a reduction of $2500 for the all-wheel-drive lowers its base price to $30,230.
    Well, those numbers are just wrong. Last year's base price for the 2WD was 22K and 26K for the AWD.

In fact, I was offered a fully loaded one in April for 27K.

I wonder if they pay someone to pull numbers out of their rear-end like that?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ah, a little light housekeeping - where were we?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• ronsextonronsexton Member Posts: 14
    Is the cargo tray really usefull and worthwhile?

I have a camaro ss 1999 and we are considering replacing the wifes saturn with an Aztek. The saturn is fine except we want something a bit bigger with more storage space.

Is AWD a real advantage to anyone?
    ronsexton - my wife had me remove the cargo tray after a TV dinner from a grocery store sortie slid down beside/below it and stank up the interior. Instead, we're ordering the GM "Cargo Area Liner" for Azteks, p/n 12497076, lists for $57 but is $39 at www.gmpartsdirect.com. It has the same surface texture as the ruggedized floormats for Azteks, and a 2" lip to catch mud.

AWD - we intentionally requested a FWD Aztek when the dealer located one for us. This was mostly to save $1500-2000, but FWD also saves one EPA MPG. And since I also have a 99 Formula, I wanted the most out of our Aztek's performance and the FWD is a little lighter. We live in Michigan so the AWD would be handy, but the FWD also has traction control so that will help a little. Plus the Aztek in any variant has pretty good ground clearance compared to a sedan. The Tiger Paw tires are also M+S rated.

If you are thinking of a 2002 instead of a 2001, my advice would be a little different since it appears you can only get the cool 17" wheels with the AWD version. Right now it looks to me like the absolute best value in a new 2001 or 2002 Aztek is to find a 2001 Aztek GT FWD sitting on a dealer's lot. I like the look of the 2002's, especially with the 17" wheels, but also still like the way the 2001's look. They are absolutely unique and striking.

see our Aztek at www.mwshowgo.com/kermit/index.htm

Steve - thanks for your house cleaning!
  • ronsextonronsexton Member Posts: 14
    Well with the AWD you also get the 'better' suspension they advertise on the Rendezvous and the 4 wheel disc brakes. And , since i have nothing against the styling of the 2001 vs. the 2002, that isn't a factor. I wonder if the 17" wheels look that much better? They might...
    As for the tray, well my back doesn't like bending way over with weight. So i was hoping the tray was worthwhile but maybe it's more of a gimmick?
    The AWD is definitely an upgrade, and worthwhile if you can afford it and don't mind the weight penalty (extra weight BTW is not a penalty to some, since it helps in a two-car wreck).

If you are concerned about your back, definitely get an Aztek which has the tray. Retrieving objects from the rear floor is hard on one's back without it. I like how the tray works (rolling/sliding) but we had problems with items falling under it. Maybe we should have tried opening its doors....

When we get the Cargo Area Liner I am going to try it on top of the tray.

Also - if you get a 2001 and want the tray don't try to add it yourself by getting parts and making one. I asked about it and the parts guy said there are several expensive parts to it and it comes to over $300 (list)! The tray is standard on 2001 Aztek GT's but not base Azteks. Don't know about 2002's.

If you haven't seen the 2002 yet, there are a few links posted by members herein - scroll up a couple pages. I think the 17" wheels are very nice if you can afford the AWD.
  • garthodinsongarthodinson Member Posts: 37
    Hey all you Aztek fans! I am starting the process of having the 2002 Aztek Rally.

If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to e-mail me at aztek@fast.net

Joe
    The 17" wheels are not standard on the '02 models. They come with only the AWD models. The standard are the 16" wheels from the '01 which were refreshed slightly I think. I haven't seen pics of the old wheels so I'm passing on what I've read.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    From what I have seen on line, I think the wheel line up looks like this:
    Standard Wheel: 16" "Three on Three" (2001 AWD Wheel). Standard on all FWDs and AWDs with the first two option packages.
    Optional Wheel: 16" "Three Spoke" (2001 GT Wheel). Option on FWD with the first two option packages.
    17" Wheel-5 Spoke design. As seen on some of the preproduction Pontiac Vibes. Has two "bolts" around rim between each spoke. Optional on AWD with first two option packages. Standard on AWD with second two option packages.
    I replaced the stock wheels of my Aztek with the 235/60-17 Goodyear Eagle LS tires mounted on the 17 inch ASA JS1 alloy wheels several months ago. It costs me $1079, shipping included, from tirerack.com.

One time, a pewter Aztek AWD GT with the 1sc pkg parked beside my yellow car. By the looks, the difference in tire width is bigger than 215 vs 235 sizes indicate The Uniroyal tire has an overall diameter of 27.85 inch compare to the Goodyear's 28.1. As if there is at least an inch or two increase in ground clerance. The stock tire looks a lot thinner and smaller. I wish I could you show the picture, but my computer is not equiped to do so.

To my eyes the Aztek looks a lot better with the bigger wheels, that's why I am thinking of the 255/55-17 tires for the rear wheels.

I've seen pictures of the 2002 Aztek. From the info I got, the only thing I miss is the rear wing spoiler.
  • buoyantbuoyant Member Posts: 128
    Well, I got my November issue of Motor Trend in the mail today and am just now beginning to recover from the temporary blindness I suffered by flipping to page 34. I'm not certain, but I think it was a bright yellow 2002 Aztek that flashed me just before I blacked out.

My God, and I didn't think it could get any uglier. Shame on me for being such a fool...
    It's still better looking than a Mini Cooper.
  • tc_i_amtc_i_am Member Posts: 52
    It's amazing how car owners will dismiss (they're not accurate, they're not real world, etc, etc) something like crash test results when they don't show their vehicle in a favorable light. Yet when they do then all of sudden they are legitimate? Puhleeze.

If there is any test that is 'unrealistic' it's the rollover test... because it's not a test! It's a mathematical formula. So many factors come into play when it comes to vehicle stabilty on the highway, tires, shocks, spring dampening, etc. But if anything, it just confirms one thing: the Azztek's low center of gravity comes from the fact it's a chopped up Montana mini-van.
    exzur - email me pix and I will post them on my site!

bouyant - You can't say it didn't get your attention! My Gosh, and I didn't think the Aztek could get any more sleek, unique and modernistic. Yet here it is.

tc_i_am - Far be it from me to dismiss crash test results. I realize there are drawbacks in the various results (not to mention methods and repeatability), and am realistic about the risks. No vehicle is perfect, some are better than others. My research shows the Aztek is better than some, worse than some. As for rollovers, it's better than all SUV's reviewed so far! Say what you will about it not being a real test, but this is one index which does give a good indication of a certain type of safety. Call it what you want too but I am above name-calling.
    Oh come on... everybody knows that the Azztek is a crash-test dummie's playground. And that's not name-calling, those are the facts. No one is saying that the vehicle is unsafe (most modern vehicles are safe), but GM does not place a priority on safety. It's evidenced quite well at the IIHS, NHTSA and the lack of active safety systems in the majority of their vehicles (including the Azztek), though they have the technology and could offer it as an option if they wanted to without introducing significant costs. Toyota does it quite easily.

You can rationalize the testing results anyway you like if it makes you feel better.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    um, it's spelled "Aztek." If you have something to add to the discussion, fine. If you want to engage in name-calling, please take it to Usenet. Thank you.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    FYI, the FWD Aztek scored 3 stars a few months ago, where the Aztek AWD scored 4 stars.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Need to see the 02 model up close to make a final call but the pictures look good. The plastic was one of my main dislikes of the 01 Aztek, and Pontiac has modified the front nicely. The rear is still a concern as I have not seen a picture with it showing.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Dindak, It's been a while since I've been on this site. Are you still considering the Rendevous or the '02 Aztek?

Gregeaston: The Mini Cooper will be one hot seller. It's two feet longer than the original for more room. I just bet they will not be able to keep them on the showroom floor because they will go so fast.

M
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Ya, though they are at the top of out price range. Our one lease is up in the spring. Other SUVs on the list include the VUE, Escape, Tribute and 02 CR-V. My wife doesn't want a van.
    The AZTEK is spelled:

A Z T E K

Rather simple.......really.

By the way the AZTEK is rapidly proving itself as a safe reliable vehicle with few OPERATIONAL issues. In fact the JD Power report states it simply. ULTIMATE CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!!

In My business...... Telecom!! Customer Satisfaction speaks volumes. The AZTEK delivers FLAT OUT.

Just take a walk over to the BMW x5 site and listen to those owners bemoan the issues. Not here.

Quite simply........ A Z T E K OWNERS wear the:

: ) AZTEK SMILE!!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Webster still shows it as:

A Z T E C

Rather simple really.

:)
    You have been dancing around the A Z T E K for quite awhile. All the news is postive!!

Buy one...... Enjoy One!!

Everytime I drive the A Z T E K I enjoy the experience. That is 13 Months and 25,000 Kilometers later.

Great vehicle!!

You to could wear the ;) A Z T E K smile.

And I know you know how to spell it right!!
    How does 'Customer Satisfaction' = 'Safety' ???
    The dead and maimed are very rarely satisfied.

Quite simple really.

One would think that after all this time you would have found something better to do than come here and bemoan the existence of the Aztek.

Besides. In a few months the Saturn VUE comes out and that will give you another board to go haunt and bother the owners.
    The issue of Safety has been debated ad nauseam here. As the results have come in the AZTEK has proven to be a safe vehicle.

Is it rated as high as a Toyota...... No but I drove Toyota 's and frankly in the category there was nothing priced competitively.

Customer Satisfaction is very very valid barometer of what real owners think of the vehicles they own.

They live with they vehicle day in day out. I'll tell you I bought the AZTEK 2001 and a NISSAN SENTRA 2001 (big year for cars here at my house).

I would RATE the AZTEK 5 Star for Customer Satisfaction.

But I would not the Sentra 5 Star.

The AZTEK is simply an outstanding vehicle!!

;)....... wearing the AZTEK smile!!
    Being a strong fan of the AZTEK......I missed the last rally. Won't miss next years!!

show you the AZTEK ;) SMILE!!
    "bemoan the existence of the Aztek."

Hmmm... debating the facts is bemoaning the existence? I apologize if the facts bother you. Really.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    keep calling it Customer Satisfaction? It wasn't JD Powers CSI survey, it was their APEAL survey. Before you go dancing in the streets, wait and see what the CSI score looks like.
    I can't wait til next year's rally. We're gonna have it in Tony's town.

And I'll be sure to have my "Kiss my Aztek" bumpersticker prominently displayed.

Oh, my wife has decided that we are replacing her '97 Nissan Altima (a P.O.S. car, BTW) with another Aztek. Haven't decided what year yet.