Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    Hey, guys,

One more question regarding the honeymoon/Subaru. After I had my fuel system fixed (see earlier messages -- don't know the number), I noticed that I didn't get more than 320 miles on a full tank during highway driving. Still a problem with the system?

Thanks,
    burnsmr4
  • ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    burnsmr4, I'm still laughing. I would have sworn on first reading your message that you ran INTO the lighthouse! Now that would have been a coup.

I symphathise (?) with you about the white chalk. But I have to admit that when I was younger, much younger, I was the one scribbling the wedding messages with a bar of soap onto my cousin's car. I heard in no uncertain terms that bar soap is also difficult to remove!

320 miles on a tank might not be so bad with the cargo carrier on top. 15 gallons on a fill? You would have over 20 mpg anyway.

Steve
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congratulations!

I would say that next time around you should pick your groomsmen and bridesmaids a little more carefully but I am sure you and your bride will be together a good long time!

Good luck!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • limpyboylimpyboy Member Posts: 26
    Burnsmr4:

Despite your incident I hope you enjoyed Savannah, it's my hometown. I love the place but for my chosen profession it's a place to flee, not to be.

At least your photog didn't want to use the lighthouse that's partially submerged in water north of the island!!

As for groomsmen, at my wedding last year I made it very clear, in a manner most intimidating, that any shenanigans would be avenged swiftly and effectively (by telling stories to their girlfriends/wives that they, um, wouldn't want them to know about.). It worked like a charm...

It's the old "It's not what you know or who you know but what you know about who you know" thing.
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Hi everybody. I've been pretty busy at work and home of late so I haven't been here on Edmund's very much. I did join the Crew chat last night; it was good to "see" new faces as well as some old ones.

Work has kept me on the road quite a bit; I've averaged 150 mi/week this month and last week put an easy 300 mi on the car. I've had my Forester since January 2000 (26 months) and I now have 37,000 miles on it. I brought this up in the Crew chat and a couple folks were surprised at my high mileage. Given that there are 4-year-old Foresters on the road now, there must be some that have hit 100K+ miles by now. So I beg the question: Anyone here have a high-mileage Forester? How's it holding up? Any long-term reliability issues? Should I be looking to the Legacy board for hints at potential problems?

Thanks,
    Ed
  • tellme2tellme2 Member Posts: 2
    Within the New York City or Long Island
    area which dealer has given the best prices
    and follow up service
    I have read of some impressive sounding
    deals - how have you negotiated them
    RE:Subaru Forester
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    Ed,

I have 93,000 miles on my '99 "S" in 3 years, mostly highway. It's been very reliable and feels robust. The dealer did brakes and cut the rotors at around 64K. The rotors then warped and I had my independent garage do 4 rotors & pads again at around 70K (Lesson: live with a little brake noise to postpone rotor replacement; let that second or third set of pads wear a little quicker and noisier to save $). Electrically, no problems at all except with cruise control which was fixed at 65K with $ help from the dealer & SOA. At 100K, I plan to replace timing belt & water pump, as well as getting my transmission shop to give the automatic a thorough checkup.

I too am curious about experiences of those in the 100K + bracket. Anyone out there?

- John
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Staten Island Subaru/Isuzu contact Mark Jerrick
    Brooklyn Contact Ira @ Manfredi Subaru

Service: Metric in LI, Flemington in Flemington

-mike
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Wow, 93K on a 99 Forester is a lot of driving, John! I have 68K on my 98 Forester S and I thought I was racking up the miles.

So, did you end up replacing all four rotors at the independent garage or did you just have them turned again? Re-surfacing rotors sometimes can cause warping so I wonder if it's just better to all out replace the rotors if they warp to begin with.

Ken
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    I commute 70+ miles round trip daily. The Forester is also our long-trip car. I hope to get 250,000 good miles with it!

I ended up replacing all 4 rotors. The resufacing made them too thin, so they warped right away. Hence my cautionary tale about putting off resurfacing if practical.

I was just at the end of the warranty, and I took the dealer's advice, even though I had some doubts about the work being necessary at that time. I should have gotten a second opinion from my independent, whom I trust completely. In all fairness, the dealer was being very helpful working with me moneywise on fixing the cruise control. They ended up replacing the sensor and the steering wheel switch, with me paying only $100 out of pocket. I think that influenced my decision to take their advice on the brake work.

John
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Jim: the G35/Skyline is RWD, maybe you were thinking of that. The Altima gets its rear suspension from that car, but the rest differs.

Donn: the rear speakers were dual cones, now that I think about it, even on the premium speakers. But they are higher wattage.

Try adding slack in the throttle cable (is there one? I think so) if you want more progressive throttle tip-in. I actually tightened the one on my Miata to get the opposite effect. I went too far and the idle was high, plus my gas mileage tanked. Later on I found a happy middle, but you do need at least some slack.

Brian: nice update, good to hear the headliner and especially the visor is better. What were the traction and heat resistance ratings on that new tire? The L actually got just 180BB tires, so 320?? ought to be a huge improvement, since 16" will become standard.

Glass chalk is nothing. My friends did my car with LIPSTICK! It was waxy and nearly impossible to polish off. They also used cake icing, shaving cream, and streamers. Lucky for me it rained all night, so it was pre-rinsed.

My suggestion? They didn't mean any harm, so cut them some slack. Close friends are more important than your car's finish. :-)

-juice
    Is the G35 really a skyline? From what I heard it has a different engine and no AWD, which means it really isn't a skyline at all! :)

-mike
    You're thinking Skyline GT-R, which is a twin turbo I-6 coupe version of the platform. The G35 is the Skyline sedan, basically.

Still, 260hp, RWD, $27k MSRP for starters? I'm sure most will be $30-35k, but heck, a Marauder costs $30 grand, and a 530i would cost much more.

It will compete with the 3 series, IS, and A4, but it's actually much, much bigger than any of those. The wheelbase is 112"!

-juice
    Well when you mention skyline, people really only associate it with the GT-R, so it's a bit of a marketing thing going on there. Kinda like equating something to the 6 cylinder 2wd version of the F-250 pickup truck :)

-mike
    I'm surprised they didn't use the Skyline name. Perhaps because it's an Infiniti.

I showed my wife, and she hated the rear styling (me too). We'll look at the Pilot and Forester when those come out, probably the Mazda 6, too.

-juice
  • jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    Juice: I know the G-35 is RWD and Altima is FWD etc. I just lost it the other day...

They are talking about the soon to be released coupe with 280-HP and an AWD in future. May be very interesting! Also, looking forward to what the M-45 looks like and if it has AWD like the Subarus.

OT-But is related to Subaru-AWD.

Jim J.
    The next Maxima is supposed to get AWD. It'll go on the Altima platform. AWD is nice here because the Altima (with the V6) has wicked torque steer.

AWD on an Infiniti would push the price out of our target range.

-juice
    The next Maxima is to get RWD--or AWD? Have you seen someting for sure? No offence, but an AWD Infiniti is not out of my range. It's probably more than I want to pay and will have to be much better than the Subaru (Outback/LL-Bean) but it's worth the wait to see what happens.

Jim J.
    I wonder how many new AWD vehicles will be hitting the market in the next few years. It just seems like EVERYONE is offering AWD in one form or another these days!

Ken
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
  • sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the info.

I still think I will contact the dealer about the condition of the cones and see if I can either get some new ones or two-way replacements.

-Donn
  • nypaulnypaul Member Posts: 35
    I just bought a 02 Forester from Metric Subaru in Huntington. I purchased from them not only because they are the closest dealer, but also because they were the cheapest of 3 that I went to. Not that they were alot cheaper, but hey, every dollar counts. Also, the salesman, was very patient with us and never tried to rush or preassure us to buy. We went back 3, or was it 4, different times and made 2 test drives before making the decision.

Paul
  • nellonello Member Posts: 11
    I went to three dealers here in NH and found quite a discrepancy especially on the trade in value of my 98 Forester S and what they would give me off the sticker price. Including some extras they threw in like a CD player, center arm rest and a dog gate----I saved almost 3000 on my 2002 L. It pays to shop around. All the dealers I went to were within about one hour of each other and actually the one closer turned out to be the best deal. When I bought my 98 S it was the dealer that was the furthest away that was the best. Things change. I find dealer loyalty a difficult goal in owning a Subaru. This is my third Subaru, all bought from different dealers in the same area here in NH. Nello
    Just read the small article in Car & Driver that said the Forester suffers from moderate to heavy understeer. Could someone tell me exactly what that means? Should we care?

Thanks,

Jim J.
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Jim J....understeer is when you go into a hard turn....turn the steering wheel....the car continues straight ahead.

The understeer is built in for the protection of the average driver since..for them ...it is a more predictable situation to deal with. IE keep you foot on the brake and hope you stop in time.

Oversteer on the other hand means that if you make the same move... the back end will swing out and a spin is likely. This is not as user friendly for the average driver.

Should we be concerned..depends on your driving style and abilities. The understeer can be reduced with the use of stabilizer bars. And at this point starts much discussion of how big a bar to use. You will have to sort out the input !
    Thanks for the explaination. This sounds like one of those things I say, oh yea-but it just does not matter to me.

Thanks again,

Jim J.
  • jim1969jim1969 Member Posts: 62
    I also just bought an 02 Forester at Metric Subaru in Huntington. They were first class and our salesman never pressured us. The price was good and their treatment of us was very professional. I highly recommend them to anyone in the Long Island or Metro New York area.
  • sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    My 2002 L came with the (2) cross beams and the standard rails on the roof.

The question I have is what, if anything else, do I need to safely and securely haul cargo?

It says the weight limit is 150 lbs. And I'm thinking of using it to carry camping gear like a tent, sleeping bags, maybe a couple of aluminum chairs etc.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    -Donn
  • crossroadscrossroads Member Posts: 16
    I have a new forester (2002) which has less than 50km on it. I've noticed a few times that when I back up, stop, put it into drive, there is a definite long delay before it goes into drive. Is this something which is unique to Subaru's or a "break in" situation that will resolve itself with time, or do I have something I should have the dealer look at?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    You might consider a roof top basket or trunk, such as those sold by Yakama, etc.

Bob
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    The racing world calls this being "tight."
    Oversteer is being "loose."

A tip from the racing world that helps in handling the not uncommon situation of finding yourself on a curving exit ramp going a bit too fast:
    Many freeze-focus on the front of your hood in the effort to keep the car in the middle of the road, lock up there arms and then the wheels in a panic braking mode. Instead, get off the gas and look as far ahead/around the curve as possible. Natural hand-eye-arms-foot(on brake of course)-nerve-muscle coordination kicks in and does a pretty good job in getting you around in a smooth, controlled and relaxed manner to where you want to go.
    Of course, this is not an invitation not to adequately slow down when coming off the turnpike.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    I think weight isn't the issue so much as the pressures of the air as you drive at freeway speeds. For a variety of competitively priced cartop carriers, both soft-sided and hard, look at the Cabela's site. www.cabelas.com

They are a big mail-order outfit catering to sportsmen. Good quality, prices and service.
  • peterson10peterson10 Member Posts: 116
    I disagree with Storyteller. Cabela's has VERY good quality, very good prices, and EXCELLENT service. Oops, they're a competitor of L.L. Bean. I'm in big trouble now!

One of several Daves
    I just bought a soft-shell cartop carrier from MacNeil Automotive -- the WeatherTech guys who advertise in AutoWeek and C&D. Recently hauled 4 suitcases/bags on top with my then-fianceé's wedding dress and unmentionables taking up all the interior room in back of my 2002 Subaru Forester S. Even with rush shipping (2-3 day UPS), it was only $100.

The WeatherTech carrier worked great -- easy to install, and, although only water REPELLANT, it survived some heavy rain outside of Atlanta at the end of our honeymoon. The carrier made absolutely no marks on the roof (fleece bottom -- no separator pads required), and I was able to drive at speeds of 70mph to 80mph with little or no cargo shifting/wind noise.

The carrier is tall, so if you get caught in a crosswind, keep your eye on steering corrections.

Regards,
    burnsmr4

P.S. - Thanks for the Cabela idea, folks! I wish I'd looked at them too before deciding on the WeatherTech. Always interested in cross-shopping before I buy. Another good choice might also be Bass Pro Shops.
    Just checked out Cabela's website. They have 10 and 15 cubic foot "waterproof" soft-shell cartop carrier's for between $129 and $139 before shipping. Not bad. The straps look a little more involved than the WeatherTech carrier, which, by the way, is 13 cubic feet -- right in the middle.

Later,
    burnsmr4
    The new Max will be based on the Altima FWD platform, but may get an AWD option.

Donn: if you have a cargo box mounted to the cross bars, you can carry a total of 150 lbs, including the weight of the container itself. I use a Samsonite soft carrier ($40 at luggage outlets), but Target and WalMart have similar models for $30-50.

I like the new style Sears carriers, the black ones that look aerodynamic and should offer better protection from rain (mine gets damp in sustained rain, but it OK in light rain).

Mike: mention the tranny delay to the dealer now, and get it documented. Even if it's a very early sign, that would prove you brought it to their attention when it was brand new.

-juice
  • tlimatlima Member Posts: 124
    My '01 does the same thing. I've read elsewhere that other mfg's autos do this and it's been a source of complaints.

On mine, it's about a 2-3 second delay, which can become annoying if you have to back out onto a busy street. One thing to do though: don't gas it until it is in gear.

Mike, if you do have the dealer look into it, please post the results.

-Tony
    '01 Forester L (22k miles)
  • quintrkdquintrkd Member Posts: 1
    I noticed a slow oil leak on my 98 Forester that progressively got worse between 60K and 70K. I started smelling a "burning rubber" smell. Eventually, the problem got bad enough that I took it into the dealership. They informed me that both engine seals needed replacement. Now my wife's 95 Legacy is beginning to exhibit the same symptoms at 70K, and I found out that my colleague's Impreza needed engine seals replaced at 40K. Is this a common problem. I contacted Subaru, and they informed me that there are no recalls and that I'm out of luck on the warranty. My confidence in Subaru is shaken, to say the least.
    the specs of the exterior measurements of the new '03 Forester, and comparing them with the current model, and noticed the new Forester is 2.4" lower than the current model. It stands, in Japanese trim, at 62.6" high. The profile images that I've seen seem to bear that out. It seems to be a bit more streamlined, which is probably due to the lower height.

The wheelbase remains the same at 99.4;" as does the width, at 68.3." The length is 175.2" which is .4" less than the current model.

Bob
    It may be that the roof rack cross bars are not standard in Japan. I bet the height is the same as the current model.

-juice
    I hadn't thought of that...

Bob
    Or maybe they measure the height at the lowest point on the roofline? The new Forester does slope back more than the current model.

I checked my literature and there's nothing mentioned about the Forester being less tall.

Ken
  • nellonello Member Posts: 11
    Has any one had rear alignment problems on a new 2002 Forester L? I went in for the first oil change and they wanted to do an alignment on the rear saying it showed a little tire wear. Does that sound right on a car that has 3500 miles on it? It does not ride like a car with alignment issues. Any feed back would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Nello
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    I've had the same problem and a friend who passed the idea of buying a Subaru by his local mechanic was told oil leaks are notorious. Any real truth to this??
  • asplundhasplundh Member Posts: 27
    I too have had ongoing problems with this. I just had an alignment done by the dealer and will see if this fixes the problem or not. My tires at 7500 miles were very worn on the sides. I sometimes wonder if the steering column could be bent.
    I think US measures include the cross bars. The Forester was just 0.9" shorter than the CR-V per the spec sheet, because the CR-V did not come with a roof rack standard. It's actually much taller.

Nello: alignment is tricky to get right with AWD, so let them take a stab at it.

Are oil leaks common? No. We hear about a few because people often come here for advice. But if everyone had oil leaks then reliability data would show that. Having leaks on both your Subies is pretty bad luck, though.

-juice
  • nypaulnypaul Member Posts: 35
    Yesterday I washed our 3 week old Forester for the first time. While I was drying the water droplets off the hood I noticed what I think is a production defect. There is a circular mark in the paint around each of the windshield washer nozzles. You can't feel it but it is visible when the car is clean.
    Since I think it's a production problem, I wonder how many of you folks might have the same. Next time you go out to your Forester look closely around the nozzles and please report back what you find.

Paul
    02 Forester L
    71 VW bus
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    That reminds me and I know this should be in the comparo thread but Honda recessed the washer nozzles under the hood in the new CR-V. Very clever, IMHO.
  • jim1969jim1969 Member Posts: 62
    Are there any Xenon bulbs which can replace the OEM H4 bulbs? Is it worth it to get them?
    XT6 had em in '88 also had single wiper. It's funny all the R!cers ask me how i get the single wiper to go under the hood, cause they can't get em to go under the hood on their Civics! I tell em it's factory.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.