Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    Paul,
    What you have noticed is residue from the protective covers that were placed over the nozzles. The dealer usually peels off the covers prior to display or sale. Take a little spray of WD-40 on a rag these will disappear. I even found some other areas on the car where this had occured (near the roof rack) and thought as you did that I had a scratched or damaged vehicle.

-Donn
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    my understanding (and I heard this from Drew not too long ago), is that Xenon bulbs are not as good a a "true" Xenon light "system." In other words the complete headlight system is engineered around Xexon lights from the get-go, not as an afterthought. Don't ask me why, because I don't know, but he seemed fairly certain of that. The bulbs (only) may just offer a more bluish cast, and yet not offer much brighter lighting, as a "total Xenon system." Again, I'm just not sure...

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Just have a blue coating, providing less light on the road. HID-with balast is a good improvement over stock lights but also costs about $400+ I'd stick with higher wattage halogen bulbs from philips or hella for better lighting using stock housings.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I tried these, which are supposed to have a trace amount of Xenon gas in the bulb to burn a little brigther. Some have a blue coating, some don't (mine didn't). They will not match true HID conversions, nor will they match higher wattage bulbs (stock is 55/60, some go 80/100 or higher).

I was happy - until they both burned out in less than a year. $28 for the pair, and then you gotta keep changing them all the time, for a little extra light? Didn't seem worth it to me.

If you get them, just get a spare or two, and carry them with you.

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Any direct replacement "Xenon" bulb is never going to be close to real HID. Many of these bulbs are purely cosmetic -- it's a halogen bulb with some blue paint to make the light appear whiter.

However, there are halgoen bulbs that are brighter than typical ones. They're not painted blue either. Juice mentioned Hella. I use Philps Vision Plus.

I think the Hellas were not constructed very well since my friend's also went out after a year. I've been using my Philips for two years now and they've been great.

Ken
  • jim1969jim1969 Member Posts: 62
    Which auto chain carries the Philips Vision Plus bulbs you mentioned? Is there a big improvement with them over the stock H4 bulbs? I appreciate the imput.
  • nypaulnypaul Member Posts: 35
    Donn,
    Thanks for the tip. The WD40 took those marks off just like you said it would.

Paul
    I've tracked down these bulbs to a few different online sites. Every time I chose USA this bulb is not an option. Is it legal in the US? Has it passed DOT approval?
    Jim,

I purchased them from autolamps-online or something to that extent. These aren't sold in the US so you need to buy them through European suppliers.

The improvement over stock was very noticeable. I have comparison pictures somewhere. I can email them to you or, if I can get around to it, I can post them somewhere. The Philips bulb was designed for e-code headlights and require a sharp beam cutoff to achieve the best results. Luckily the Forester has a very sharp beam pattern for DOT headlights so they work well together.

To be super-technical, I don't think these have been DOT approved. They are of stock wattage and are the standard bulb size (H4) so they pose no problem from a compatibility issue.

Ken
    Thanks for the info kens. That was the same website I tracked them down to. I'll be ordering a set soon. I'll keep an eye out for any postings you put out on them.
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Thanks to KenS pointing the way, I bought those bulbs from autolamps-online over a year ago. They're great lights and make a noticeable difference. I would love to put them in the WRX but I don't think it takes the same bulbs.
    - Hutch
    No problem, guys. The Vision Plus only comes in H1 or H4 so it limits the application range.

Ever since Photopoint went down, it's been a hassle posting pics.

Ken
    Nice call, Donn!

So, both Ken and Hutch have had long-lasting results with those bulbs? Mabye those are worth considering, then. I gave up on the one-year-of-life Hellas.

-juice
    juice,

Yeah, you and another friend of mine both had their Hellas go out after a year. I switched over to the Philips after a few months (okay, I was a into lighting at the time) so I don't have the same experience. I do recall Susquehana Motor Sports mentioning that they removed one line of Hella bulbs because the quality had gone down. They weren't the H4+30, but who knows, maybe it affected more than just one model.

Ken
  • mst3kguymst3kguy Member Posts: 10
    hiya people,

although experienced with audio in general, i'm rather new to car audio. i've just acquired boston acoustics rx47 coaxials for the rear doors of my '02s+, installation was a breeze. however, the tweeter unit is not clearing the factory grille, which appears to curve inward ever so slightly. the grille is now pressing on the tweeter unit (not the dome, but rather a fixed unit, thankfully!) and the grille is bulging out on one side.

what are my options here? the boston grilles aren't large enough to cover the area that the factory grilles covered.

anyone?

tia,

dean naramore
    cincinnati, ohio
    '02s+
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I replaced the OEM speakers (all except the tweeters )on my '00 S with premium sound package with Polk Audios from Crutchfield. IIRC the model numbers were EX602a for the fronts and EX502a for the rears. (Ken S can confirm but I think he got Sony Xplods for the rears - Ken?). In any case I didn't encounter any clearance issues.

You could always try gently heating the factory grilles and curving them outward to accommodate the tweeters. I'd use hot water or maybe a blow dryer. I'd think about picking up a spare pair of factory grilles just in case. In the alternative, you could cut out the insides of the factory grilles and insert your own mesh, available from most any stereo store. Do the same for the fronts and get a custom look all around.

Good luck,
    Ed

PS: BTW, why am I not surprised that a guy with the screen name mst3kguy would buy a For(r)ester? ;-)
    Actually, it was the other way around -- I have Sony Xplods in the front and the Polks in the rear. No problems with fitment because they were listed as the EZ fit on Crutchfield.

I don't remember exactly, but weren't the speakers mounted on a plastic tray? Perhaps you may be able to mount the speakers without the tray to get around the clearance issue. I'd try and play around with that before messing with the cover since you'll always see the cover.

Ken
  • secretasianmansecretasianman Member Posts: 1
    Hi Forester owners!!
    Am new to this list, but have been reading over these many posts for the last hour.
    I have owned 2 Foresters, the first being a 99S, which was a nice ride. We chose to trade this one in for the 2000 S, mainly for the limited slip rear end. We do alot of winter travel in the snow, in hilly conditions, and after owning other SUV's with LSD, this was a concern.
    I've upgraded the wheels to 17", which have the 225x55x17 tires............this baby corners considerably better than before!
    Also tossed their 'upgraded' stereo with a real one........Kenwood deck, with 12 stack CD player, Rockford Amps and top of the line speaker replacements...........total of 800 watts of sheer pleasure, while waiting in traffic!!.....my waiting is no big deal any longer.....
    My only complaint,and to me its major enough to sell and trade this car for a Toyota 4Runner Limited, if I can't get it fixed, once and for all.
    It's the squeeky real hatch...everytime we take it on somewhat rough roads, and 'flex' the body just a little bit, such as you would going over bumps and turning at the same time, this has produced a permanent squeek, which is totally irritating....have taken it to the dealers several times,and they have 'adjusted' the hatch, but this is a temporary fix at best.
    Have also greased all the fittings, and the ends of the rubber stops, this has helped, but the damn squeek is still there!!!........gggeeezzz, it's irritating!!.......and we can't run around with the stereo blasting all the time, to drown out that squeek...........anybody else have this problem??......I told my neighbor about this, she recently bought an 02 S model, and it wasn't until I asked her about a squeeek, that she realized she DID have one!!!
    About the headlight bulb replacement, I've always used the PIAA H-4 replacement bulbs, ultra white, in 80-115 watt.......these are bright!!!, and you will need to readjust your headlamps a tad downwards to utilize the increased brightness, and to avoid getting high beamed by oncoming traffic....
    Any help with the squeek would be greatly appreciated.........hope it's before I trade the SUBE in for a 4Runner.........!
    secretasianman: I've tried that, but got tire rubbing when turning the front wheels to full lock. Found out it was an offset issue. (I also have a 2000 S.) The wheels I used had a +52mm offset when Forester OEM use +48. I'm selling the +52s and looking for a suitable +48. What are you using for wheels and tires? And how are 17"s on "rough roads"? My thought in going the 17" route was to get better pavement handling but I may end up just getting a 16" tire in the OEM size with a stiffer sidewall.

As for the squeaks in the hatch, there are two little spring-loaded bumpers on either side of the hatch opening. Try cleaning them out by spraying with WD-40 followed by some compressed air. Grit tends to get in them, causing the squeak.

Good luck,
    Ed

PS: Ken - sorry I got the speakers backwards - it's been awhile.
  • mst3kguymst3kguy Member Posts: 10
    ed/lark6 wrote:

<<PS: BTW, why am I not surprised that a guy with the screen name mst3kguy would buy a For(r)ester? ;-)>>

d'oh! i'm surprised people even understand the name these days...

dean
    cincinnati, ohio
    '02s+
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Have you had a dealer look at it? They have a lot of technical resources and it should be pretty easy to fix. If they can't fix it, call us or ask them to call their technical assistance line.

I know noises can be very annoying. It might be worth the time to get some dealer attention on it.

Thanks!

Patti
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Rest assured, Dean, you guys are not forgotten. Thanks for some wonderful moments.
    How long has MST3K been off the air now? Seems like just yesterday.

All: Dr. Forrester was an evil scientist on the show, who forced the human host and his robot companions to watch bad movies.

Ed
    My hatch doesn't squeek, and that's the type of thing I'd notice. The 2003 Forester is getting a totally new hatch design, FWIW.

What type of grease did you use? WD40 displaces water and just about everything else, but it would dry up soon and could make an area squeek even worse. So it's good for an area that is supposed to be cleaned, but not for an area that needs lubrication. WD40 also should not be used around rubber or plastic, since it is petroleum-based.

I would try to find a very thick lithium grease, that will stay on. They make spray bottles, but for the hatch I would use the thicker stuff in the tube.

I remember Mystery Science Theater 2000, guess they changed the name later, eh? Funny stuff. I once watched their marathon on Turkey Day.

-juice
    Nope, no squeaking with my hatch either. A buddy of mine has a 2000 S also but no squeaking there either.

Just a wild idea, but could the source be something other than the rear hatch -- like swaybar bushings or something?

Ken
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    Regis Philbin! Regis Philbin of Live with Regis and Kelly and Who Wants to be a Millionaire saw a 2003 Forester at the NY Auto Show and he wants to buy one, but his wife and his producer don't want him to buy one -- an image thing.

Perhaps we can create a ground-swell of support that will overwhelm all opposition and poor Regis can get the car he do desperately wants...and should have!
    The sacrifices you make to be in show biz!

Pretty funny. :-)

-juice
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    The other day he said (yes I admit it I watch him--but only for his co-host) he wanted a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. Whatever car they were showing, that's what he wanted.

Regis could buy a fleet of Foresters and still not make a dent in his wallet. He's mentioned what he drives, but it escapes me at the moment, maybe a Jaguar. I know he's had plenty of car problems over the years. He tells great stories about getting flat tires and being totally clueless.
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    This was the only problem I've had with Rufus (MY2001 S). In my case it was not the slides. Cleaning and lubricating them had no effect. The solution was to replace the hatch latch (I always love writing that) under warranty. The dealer tried to adjust it, but there is precious little adjustment available. My situation was by no means unique. Hope this helps.

Ross
    [juice]What type of grease did you use? WD40 displaces water and just about everything else, but it would dry up soon and could make an area squeek even worse. So it's good for an area that is supposed to be cleaned, but not for an area that needs lubrication. WD40 also should not be used around rubber or plastic, since it is petroleum-based.[/juice]

IIRC that's what I was describing, the cleaning process. I typically use spray lithium lube for lubrication of hinges.

Now I'm curious: My driver's side interior door handle has begun creaking. Seeing as it's plastic, what would you lubricate it with?

Ed
    Ed,

I'd stay with a non-petroleum based lube since the parts are plastic. Lithium grease is about the only thing that comes to mind.

I'd try dabbing some on the areas where plastic meets plastic.

Ken
    we may sell ours. It's an image thing...

Bob
    celebrities that drive Subaru's. I just wish I could share their names with you!

Reg?? I know he loved the WRX when it came out, too.

Hmmmm

Patti
    I use spray lithium grease just about everywhere because it's safe. It comes in a spray can, I forget the brand name I have.

-juice
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    I wonder who else beside Regis either have Subarus or desire them? And which which models?
  • hayduke01hayduke01 Member Posts: 128
    After many months of looking and following this forum (and the CR-V forum) I've decided to buy my Forester. Will be taking delivery of an S, with 5 speed and premium package this afternoon.

Saw both vehicles as good choices and good values.I chose the Forester over the CRV based in part on content not available on the CR-V, and in part because I liked the Subaru dealer better. (I didn't think I'd ever say that a dealer would make a difference, but it did).

Dealer is Heuberger Subaru (they also do VW and Saab) in Colorado Springs, CO. Salesman is Gary Clark; knowledgable, professional and no b.s. Heburger supports a number of organizations here that I also support. That ultimately helped tip the balance to the Forester. Employees there actually seem to enjoy their work, and they have a coffee bar with free coffee, latte, etc. (not a big deal in the decision, but nice nevertheless).

My S is Sedona Red. Packaged with some options that I probably wouldn't have ordered, such as the brush deflecter, but it was the only S Premium with 5 speed, and I got a good deal on it. Had that one not been there I would have waited for the '03 and paid a little more.

Now if I can avoid hailstorms and the dreaded Check Engine Light I'll have it made.
    Congrate, Mike. Make sure to look it over closely before taking delivery, give it that final pre-delivery inspection. Ask them to check the tire pressure, the most common oversight.

-juice
  • jonjonsjonjons Member Posts: 19
    Hello all,
    With the arrival of our first born about a month away we are starting to look for a car seat. Have any members had positive or negative experiences with car seats in the Forester. One of the things I am particularly interested in is installation and fit issues involving seats that lock into a leave-in base thingy.

Thanks,
    Jon
    They have ISOFIX anchors now. That's the best setup. Find a seat that uses that.

-juice
  • hayduke01hayduke01 Member Posts: 128
    to Juice, and to all of you for the great info over the last few months. Your info was a tremendous help to me in making the buying decision. I'm guessing that this community will be even more valuable to me now as I eagerly await a big spring snowstorm.

mike
    Mike,

Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Ken
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Well I think I know one celebrity that drives a Subaru. At least I hope she does, since she does commercials for them (or did, haven't seen one in a while). There also were print ads if I recall (you guys know better).
    It only stands to reason that each of the celebrity spokespeople for the various Subaru models would receive one. The only written reference I've ever seen to a celeb driving a Subaru (other than the spokespeople and the rally drivers) is singer/songwriter Dave Matthews. An article in Rolling Stone stated that he drove an older Legacy Outback.

Ed
    DMB rocks!

Go Terps!

-juice
    Welcome to the family! I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase....and.....if you do have any problems, make sure you call us at 1-800-SUBARU3. You have a good dealer. They have helped me with challenging situations in the past. They are very committed and I'm sure you'll be happy.

I'm glad you choose a Subaru.

Patti
    I can't actually recommend a car seat because we are not affiliated with any, nor have we tested any particular seats. That being said, I have some co-workers that have gone with Britax (sp) and they are very happy with them.

I hope this helps.

Patti
    It's funny. The reason I can't share their names is because they do not endorse our products on an official basis. They paid full price. But it is kind of neat to know that there are some VERY famous people (especially in the New England/New York area) that not only drive a Subaru, but bring them in for service themselves. It kind of makes me like that person for being so "down to earth". I think I'll rent a dog movie with 101 puppies this weekend! ;~}

Have a great holiday!

Patti
    http://www.subaru.net/usproduct/2003/03faccs.htm

This list also indicates colors. The red is now a Cayenne Red.

I wonder what the rear bumper cover is? It's optional for all Foresters. I hope they don't mean the rear bumper step pad. That's has been standard before; I hope they didn't make it an option.

Bob
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    First, I don't own a Forester. But here is a web site that has user data on what car seat fits their vehicle well:

www.carseatdata.org

I don't like the Britax infant seat myself, it's a loser in that it doesn't have the convenience of the detachable base. A young baby is never happy about having been asleep in the car and then being physically removed from the seat!

However, later on for your baby, it's hard to beat a Britax Advantage or Roundabout (convertible seat, both rear and forward facing). They are expensive but well worth it.

ISOFIX/LATCH is ultimately the way to go, but manufacturers have been slow with LATCH seats. E.g. Britax has a forward-facing (only) toddler seat but they don't have more in the U.S. yet (e.g. there's no convertible).

I think a properly installed non-LATCH seat is as safe as a LATCH seat; LATCH is meant to partially address the huge percentage of seats that are not properly installed. There are various programs where a certified child safety technician can inspect your seat installation.

Congratulations on the upcoming baby! It's an experience like none other (our 'baby' is 18 months old now).
  • krzychokrzycho Member Posts: 16
    Which wipers refills are you using to replace your old ones? Original Subaru's or others? Chris.
This discussion has been closed.