Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Navigation System

Comments

• crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    Get the RDX
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Get the RDX

Or just get the homelink equipped unit from RDX.

I have an 05, and installed sunglass holder from Acura TL with the homelink. It was a simple "plug and play."

I have a Windows based Pioneer F700BT headunit. It is better than any factory unit in terms of cutomization (if you like playing in Windows).

Just loaded red light camera and speed trap files into it, and it sounds a warning when approaching those.

It reads out text messages from your phone over the speakers, as well.
  • marig0107marig0107 Member Posts: 92
    ok it's stupid, but I'm just happy my 11 CRV nav system shows my home address. :D My 07 didn't. Love new construction. It's those little things I guess ;) I guess they have upgraded the nav cd between then and now.
  • unclekevunclekev Member Posts: 1
    We're looking at purchasing a new 2011 CRV. Originally, we thought we wanted to the stock nav system. But after realizing it doesn't have RDS (Radio Display System?), which seems to be standard on almost all other vehicle radios, we're wondering if we should get the EX-L (or lower model) without Nav and have an after-market unit installed? Would appreciate any input.
  • mypunkin2mypunkin2 Member Posts: 2
    my sales person informed me your better off getting a lower model and get an aftermarket navi
  • mngal2001mngal2001 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the final stages of deciding if I should buy the Honda CRV EX-L with Navigation or Hyundia Tucson with navigation package or after factory navigation/backup camera. The hands free calling and backup camera is what I am most interested in with the navigation package. Radio tune identifies is a nice feature. Hyundia seems to have these options and is intuitive with the factory option. I've been reading mixed on Honda. Any suggestions for aftermarket product names or Hyundia verses Honda?
  • johnbradleyjohnbradley Member Posts: 17
    You probably already know this but you can get a map update, for $185, that seems to be more current. Also, you should know that there are no cell phones that will display Caller ID or other Bluethooth features. They don't tell you that and make you think it is just your phone. NO phone is compatibile becasue the system isn't fully Bluetooth compatible.
    They told us it was fully Bluetooth enabled but is is not. No Caller ID, lots of other features we have in our Garmin, aren't in this 2007 system. The map data appears to be dated also. It is not worth the $2000 they want for this deficient system. They charge the same for the system in the Pilot but it IS fully functional. Our belief is they bought a ton of these systems, appear to be made in China, in 2006 and then couldn't sell them so they're still pulling from that inventory. Don't know that as a fact but that's the way it looks.
  • sierrajanissierrajanis Member Posts: 1
    I've just returned from taking my crv to the honda dealer. I bought my crv new 2010 with the factory installed system. What a joke! I would never recommend this car and navigation system. If I want to find the nearest McDonald's for instance, I type in McDonald's and enter. What you get is the address for McDonald's headquarters in the USA. What good does that do me? Why would I even care? When I try other ways to find it, I come up with nothing useful unless I actually have the address but even then it doesn't know enough to default to my current location. My Iphone works better and faster. What a ripoff. Honda is aware of this problem but they are ignoring the complaints so the next sucker will buy a honda and pay a lot for something that doesn't work. I bought this car for the navigation and bluetooth. Don't get me started on the bluetooth. You're lucky if you can actually hear or be heard. This is my 5th honda (I currently have a 2004 Pilot) and my last. To make it worse, I just received an email telling me the updated disc is now out for $149. It won't fix the problem so don't buy it. Better yet don't buy a honda with navigation and bluetooth. Shame on you Honda!!
  • crvowner395crvowner395 Member Posts: 3
    2008 CRV. A year ago I had the 'Disk Error' issue while under warrantee. They replaced the unit. So now a year and a month later (now out of warrantee) our screen has gone white with horizontal lines (including with reverse camera). You can tell that the buttons still work for the maps and radio but nothing on the screen. Ideas? I already checked the disk.
  • coffeetimecoffeetime Member Posts: 4
    I had a similar issue with my 2008 CRV after two years I got it. The screen just went wild like a bad reception and then blank. It was still under warranty so they replaced the whole unit for free. They can't just replace the screen only, it's has to be the whole unit unfortunately. There is also a recall for CR-V 2006–2009 – ALL models with navigation and some 2010 models. These DVD drives cause scratch marks on Navi DVD. Check their website for details. The info is from Honda Service Bulletin 08-051.
    Thank you. I am trying to get some consideration from the dealer but not sure it will happen. I am very worried that these Nav systems are real lemons and that we will be stuck buying a new one every 2 to 3 years at over $800 a pop. Not good. The disk isn't scratched this time so I think it is a completely different problem.
    Dealer is going to replace the whole unit. My cost is $150. Not happy that I have to pay anything at all since things like this just shouldn't break. However, it could have been much worse if I was forced to pay the full amount.
  • audreykaudreyk Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey EX - L with Nav. It works okay but the system says I don't have the number in the phone book but yet it has the list of numbers under my cell phone number on imported phone numbers so I don't get it. Sometimes it takes several tries to connect but the incoming part works great. Also the map and directions are very nice, easy to read and gives both verbal and bullet directions. Is the one for the CR-V different???
    When we bought the car, in December of 2010, we were told it was fully Bluetooth compatible. We have several other devices that are fully compatible, among them an old Garmin 640 Nuvi. From the road changes we knew about in our area and elsewhere it soon became apparent that this factory installed system was at least 3 years old. I assumed there was an upgrade that would solve this deficiency. There was not.

We were able to pair our phones to the system and input our phone book as well as install a couple dozen command names on the systems "List." However, whether or not the name/number was in the phone book or on that "List," the only notification that came on the screen when a call came in was/is notification of a call but, even if the caller has caller ID, no name/number showed on the screen.

We checked the manual(s) and quizzed salesmen on this as well as service people at the dealership and then called Honda Tech Support for the NAV system. Everyone said that we had to have a compatible phone. So, after much ado of going through the manual on line and the hard copy we were given, we found that our phones were not compatible, despite the fact that both our phones, a Blackberry and a Palm Pre, were brand new.

After much investigation, we found that no cell phone sold in the U.S. is "compatible" with this system and the Caller ID feature simply will not work.

I wound up writing to everyone on the planet who had anything to do with Honda, including officials at Honda, Japan, including the President and, finally, after months, we were issued a $500 letter of credit with which we purchased an update ($200+ installed) and a tricked-out rear view mirror, excluded from our "loaded" CR-V. The NAV system is still sorely lacking on the GPS locations and still doesn't have the important Caller ID function that every other vehicle we've been in prior to and after the purchase, including the 2011 Honda Pilot, has as standard.
    We do like the car but are very disappointed in Honda for having installed a piece of equipment that was extremely dated (we assume the downturn from 2008 left them holding zillions of the systems on the shelf) and deficient. All other NAV systems have the Caller ID feature.

Why is it so important? Don't you want to know, before answering a call, if it is a call you WANT to answer while driving? We sure do. Honda, shame on you!!
  • texasbidtexasbid Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the 2012 CRV- EXL without Nav. After reading the reviews and seeing that Nav was almost $2000 more, plus expensive updates, I will stick with Garmin for $200. I love the car- it has the Back up camera, nice plus, also the blue tooth seems to work really well, it shows all my contacts and who I am calling. I have a plain phone (not a smart phone).
    Well, I have a Garmin Nuvi that, years ago, cost more than $500, I forget, but I've had it for about 5 years. We take that with us when we're travelling and generally input our destination into the Garmin also, as a backup. Often, the Honda Nav goofs up and we then rely on the Garmin. Sad, since we paid $1500 extra for the NAV system. The Garmin is also fully bluetooth compatible but, of course, won't allow answering from the steering wheel once its paired.

When I was doing my complaining to Honda, I ran across many unhappy CR-V NAV owners here and elsewhere. I see a "completely re-engineered" CR-V for 2012. I hope they got rid of all their old 2007-8 NAV systems and now have an updated system in their new CR-V's. I also hope Honda monitors this site and is aware of others, besides me, who think a lot less of Honda as a result of them using outdated, deficient equipment in the deluxe CR-V's. This was our first Honda (I've owned dozens of cars) and I'll hesitate to buy another even though we like the car, overall. We purchased it based on the dealer's representations and what Honda represented in the manual(s) based on Honda's reputation. We see now that was a mistake.
  • nelsonkidnelsonkid Member Posts: 1
    HONDA 2012 NAV
    My wife purchased a 2012 Civic with NAV. I've given up trying to use it. Take my Garmin instead. Today I purchased a 2012 Honda CR-V EX-L without the NAV. During this process I had a salesman at ACURA tell me it was good. Asked him to find me the closest LCBO (LIQUIOR STORE IN ONTARIO) after a few minutes he gave up. Garmin takes all but 30 seconds. I also had a friend try this out on his new Lexus RX350. Closest one 100 miles away, when it is just 1 mile away. Have a friend with a Lincoln, also has trouble finding things easily. Thus if you want a good NAV stay with Garmin. We've had Honda's for years and enjoy the reliability of them. But they certainly missed the boat with their HAV. system. At least on the Civic and CR-V.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2012
    Maybe it's a don't drink and drive thing. :D

Try a Timmies next. Well, no, they're on every corner anyway. Maybe a Canadian Tire?

I'm a bit irritated with my Garmin this week. The little pin in the adapter end is sticking and not making good contact with the power port, so it kept cutting off on me.
  • ronin9ronin9 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Any info as to a link to download a copy of the Nav manual ( Navteq), also cannot program street address and avenue numbers ,not intuative at all, the system seems an absolute joke verses garmin.
    The manual that came with our 2011 CR-V cites attributes about the system that it doesn't have. For example, it discusses certain Bluetooth features that are only avaiable on "compatible phones." I checked and no phone currently available on the planet is compatible with those features on Honda's NAV system since it doesn't have those capabilities. The manual does explain the features that do work in understandable text, photos and illustrations but you can't make a Mercedes out of a bicycle. The unit is of 2007-8 vintage. it would appear that Honda bought thousands more than the could sell in those years so they just kept installing them in 2009,10,11 models to get them out of their inventory.

The 2012 is advertised as "completely re-engineered" so I would assume they put a fully functioning, up-to-date system in the new models. Ours was priced at $1500 so, if they upgraded to a unit comparable with what other automakers have been installing (even their NAV system in the Pilot is better) in higher end versions of their featured models, it will probably cost more.
  • georgebush1georgebush1 Member Posts: 22
    Exactly!! Youre paying $2000 for a $200 GPS system. Kind of a no brainer to stick with the EX-L, although youre still paying $2000 for fake leather seats. Best deal is the EX
    You can download Nav manual from Honda website. You have to create an account with your car model first, then, it will show up the appropriate manuals for your car model.
    Downloading a manual, if you didn't get one when you bought the car, is one thing. Making the NAV system do what it is supposed to do is another. Even after spending $185 (Honda had issued me a $500 credit to compensate for the system's deficiencies) for an updated CD, it is still far less accurate than my Garmin and is not fully Bluetooth compatible.
  • jake140jake140 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a new 2012 CRV EX-L w/Navigation. I've read a number of posts and they all say the Navi is lacking. Would someone describe what the display looks like. Is it 3D or does it simply look like Google Maps on a smart phone? Does the Navi fail all the time to find locations? Is there an aftermarket navi system that any of you would recommend for the CRV? What does one lose, if anything, on the touch screen if the navigation is not purchased? Thanks for your help.
    I have 2008 CRV and I personally like the 2D view more than the 3D. Honda Navi does not have 3D view. The 2D view Navi screen on Honda is pretty big and it gives you plenty surrounding area of the map to check out vs. 3D view which is distorted and it doesn't give you a good sense of surrounding area. I think Alpine is the company who makes Honda Navi. Perhaps they have something better that fits Honda CRV.
    I really don't know what is meant by 3D in this application. From a marketing standpoint, I guess it is but it isn't 3D like Avatar or in a 3D film. You have a choice of little cartoon icons or arrows on a backlit map, like a Garmin or any GPS I've seen. We have a 2011 CRV EX-L that we like with the exception of the NAV. I carry a Garmin that I use hiking and had in an old Blazer we gave to our son. The NAV in the Honda is sub-standard, much less feature-wise and in accuracy than many other NAV systems I've seen and far less versatile and accurate than my 5 year-old Garmin. I don’t know if it is improved in the 2012 model, perhaps that’s a question to ask though, beware, not even the owner of the large dealership was well-versed in the operation of the NAV. Not even NAV tech support was of much help.
    Aside from the fact the maps were 5 years old and Honda paid for a $185 upgrade this last December, it is not fully Bluetooth compatible. Deceptively, they say you have to check to see if your phone is suitable to work with all the features but, lo and behold, there is no phone sold in the U.S. that is “compatible.” The main feature we miss is Caller ID; that is to say, even if the caller is in the on-board phone book, they are identified on the screen as is the case on all other systems I’ve seen. It only shows you that you have an incoming call but you already know that since it rings and tells you.
    The voice recognition is low-end; I’ve seen a lot better in other vehicles. The Honda Pilot has a better NAV system. What I’m saying here applies for 2011 vehicles; I don’t know about 2012 models but perhaps some of the issues I bring up here can be asked if you go to purchase the 2012.
  • chuckhurchuckhur Member Posts: 1
    Recently bought a 2012 CR-V and would like to mount a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit. I have a vent mount, but the wiper stalk interferes with putting it on the left side center vent. I have it mounted on the left side vent, but it's not very convenient. Does any one have experience or suggestions for the redesigned 2012?
  • tfriedmantfriedman Member Posts: 1
    Oh what a mistake we made. Bought the 2012 CRV with built in nav. The thing is antiquated. Wish we had not gotten it. My cheap 2009 Garmin is more accurate and easier to use.
    Join the club on that! We were hoping that Honda would clean up their act on subsequent models. We had the same experience on our 2011 CR-V. I have an older Garmin, 2006, and it is better than the Honda Nav. The sales people were clueless, the owner of the rather large dealership didn't know what was going on, even Honda "NAV tech support" didn't seem to know what was going on. I wrote letters to everybody, including the president of Honda International in Japan. Finally, they issued me a $500 letter of credit and I though I could upgrade the NAV system with an upgrade they produced. It cost $185 and did bring the mapping into 2011 but the system is still not fully Bluetooth compatible. That is to say, the manual shows the caller ID feature IF your phone is compatable. Currently, no cell phone offered by any carrier in the U.S. is compatable. That's because the system just can't do what is advertised and shown in the manual.

I'd rather give them back the $500 and replace the NAV with a real system. When we travel, we take the Garmin, as backup since we don't trust the Honda NAV.

While we do like the car, we're extremely dissapointed in Honda. This is our first Honda and will be our last. EVERY other in-dash NAV I've seen is far superior to Honda's. Our theory, not supported by any evidence, is that in 2006 they bought container loads of this NAV system and then car sales dropped, leaving them holding the bag on 2006 systems so they're still getting rid of them on you and me.
  • vinod3vinod3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi John, Have you considered suing Honda Motor in small claims court to recover the cost of the Navigation system or possibly a class action law suit? I have similar issues with Honda on my 2008 Honda pilot. It seems that they have installed, like you say, five year old mappings and then they try to sell new one every year. I would be interested in your thoughts.
    No, I haven't considered small claims. I wrote to everyone possible, many letters to thier Nav Tech Support, the owner of the dealership, Honda USA---every officer, Honda Japan---top executives, including President Honda International, every blog I could find---including this one, consumer affairs everywhere---including in Reno, largest city near us where the dealer has several dealerships. Finally, 6 months into it, they offered $500 credit so I took the credit and told them I'd back off, figuring it wasn't going to get any better than that.

So, when the update CD was available, I bought it------for $185---and had a decent rear view mirror installed------for $360----it should have been in the car, supposedly a "top of the line" HA! "fully equipped" model that "had everything you can put on it." Trouble is, it had a $10 rear view mirror that Manny, Moe and Jack would put on their "Super Bargin $1" table. It didn't have fog lights, which up here in snow country would be very useful. (Haven't installed them yet as I was thinking about unloading the car.)

My wife loves it. So---I'm gonna get the fog lights and hunker down for a year or two. I go in to get a small recall done and they say, "Hey, your tires are 1/32nd" of tread left. "WHAT?!!!!" I've got a little over 16,000 miles on the car! So, I go to the place where I buy tires for our commercial vehicles and get a DECENT set of tires, $964.

I can't believe Honda would put such junk on what they say is the top model of CR-V's. I've been meaning to write them and tell them that "luxury, fully equipped models, should be and not have Tonka Tires that wear out before you get out of the showroom.

Honda? My first and last!!
  • sawyer2bsawyer2b Member Posts: 1
    I agree that the Nav system sucks! I just got out of my friends Altima and his nav just let's him talk to the system instead of keep holding a dang button to talk!
    I've been in several late model cars, some luxury, some mid-range; ALL have better NAV systems than our 2011 CR-V, which is supposed to be "top of the line" for Honda CR-v's. In fact, even with the $185 (Honda gave us a $500 credit after I wrote to every Honda executive I could round up, including the Honda International President in Japan) 2012 update, it is still steam powered. My "Smart Phone," a Droid Razor, has two NAV systems on it that are better than the Honda NAV we have.

To make matters worse, the last time I took it in for regular service, a month or so ago, I was told I needed new tires since the tread was down to 1/32nd of and inch. I only had a little over 16,000 miles on them!!!! I've owned dozens of cars and God only knows how many sets of tires I've been through and I do not recall ever getting that little, even on the "re-treads" I bought when I was broke!! And this was supposed to be a "top end" model, "loaded." I've owned Fords, GM cars, Mercedes, Cadillacs, BMW's, etc., many purchesed new, and never had a set of tires last for so few miles.

If that After I put a new, $1000, set of tires on, I found that the howling sound that no one in the Honda service dept. could figure out was due to the tires.

So, bottom line, I'm not a happy camper with Honda.
  • dscrv12dscrv12 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    I own a 2012 CR-V EX-L w Navi. Don't waste your money on Navigation. It really sucks. I live in SF Bay Area. When I look for nearest Costco Wholesale, It points me to locations out of state. To find local warehouse locations, I need to search with a sub-category like Gas Station or Pharmacy. It can not find the Courtyard Marriott near eBay HQ in Campbell. Will not accept street address as a valid address for the hotel. Google maps and my 3 tears old Garmin seem to have no issues.
    Your initial assesment is correct. The NAV sucks, especially when compared to just about anything else, other auto NAV's, smart phones, Garmin, etc.

However, today I received a note from Honda saying they've got a "2013 NAV update" out for $149. I'll buy it and hope. You might want to see if you can get the dealer to spring for it. I got $500 out of them due to the bunk 2011 NAV in my CRV EX- L that was more than 3 years old. Though, I had to write to the president of Honda International and dozens of othe high placed Honda executives. Good luck.
  • bmfcbmfc Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for your comments about the '12 NAV. I have a '10 and it is horrible. I hoped that Honda would fix it in the new model but it is clear that they have not. It's sad that a company that makes such a good car cares so little about current technology.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Sorry to bring this up on the CRV forum, but all the harsh talk about Honda's navi systems goes back for years!

I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL with Navi and back up camera. In the U.S. they only provide mapping up to the CDN border and then your auto icon shows you driving in an empty field! In all fairness tho, Honda is an equal opportunity PITA as the CDN versions only work up the border going into the U.S..

My $100.00 Garmen has maps of all North America and has never let me down from Alberta to Houston Texas.

My daughter in Texas has a fully loaded CRV with Navi and for her map update the dealership now wants another $300.00

(it couldn't even find the Dallas Convention Center!)
  • ken75ken75 Member Posts: 52
    My wife drives a 2011 CR-V and I drive a 2011 Nissan Rugue and neither of the navigation systems equal Garmins least expensive LifeTimeMap units. Unfortunatly I gave both of these Garmin units to my two daughters and they will not give them up. I find it very difficult to choke up around $150.00 for the updates and find out they will be no better. Along with this, the fuel economy on the CR-V is pretty bad but my wife loves the thing so I am stuck. If we keep the cars I will have to purchase a Garmin unit for each of them and have them permanently installed. The Rogue's fuel economy is about 24/30 so I can't complain about that.
    Well, now, with a Droid Razor, I have tree APS that have better graphics, directions and overall navigation that the CR-V NAV unit. I also keep the old Garmin handy when travelling in the CR-V.

When I was in a bitter dispute with American Honda over the crappy NAV unit, I did some legwork in China for where Honda purchased their NAV units. I've found scads of units, virtually all far superior to the one in my 2011 unit. Once our warranty runs out, we'll go ahead and purchase an after-market unit and have it installed, if we decide to keep the Honda. Like you, my wife loves the car, me? not so much. I've owned many SUV's larger than the CR-V and prefer them. I think we'll make adecision to get a new car, or not, next year sometime.

Milage doesn't mean much to us since we don't drive a whole lot. We live in a remote area, stock up at CostCo and hole up. But, I must admit that I'm surprised at how crappy the milage on the CR-V is. This isn't much of a problem except for the poor range when we're on a long trip. With only 350 miles or so, and other, newer, cars over 500 miles, I'm often chagrined at having to fuel up so often.

Consumer Reports also says that the CR-V is noiser than comparable. We thought so, too. When it turned out the crappy tires Honda put on the car lasted only 16,000 miles, I bought some Michlens, for $1,000, and the car rides MUCH quiter. Surprising.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    i'm in full agreement w you ken if you could live with out the dealer installed nav system the garmin nuvi are money well spent and saved.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited October 2012
    To bad the backup camera is coupled with the Honda Navi....it's actually a useful feature!
  • wds1wds1 Member Posts: 23
    My parents, who are senior citizens, have finally decide to purchase a 2013 CR-V. They test drove a CR-V w/NAV. It is not because they had to have navigation, but it was available in the int./ext. color they wanted. They liked how the back up camera is largely viewed in the NAV screen. If you purchase NAV, aren't you getting an expanded view with the back up camera? Also, what are your thoughts on the 2013 NAV? Is it improved over the 2012, at all? If you are a senior, do you think the easy to see camera in the NAV area is a good safety feature? Thanks for any input you can provide!
  • snukesnuke Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2012
    I am retired, a senior citizen and purchased a 2012 CR-V. I purposely bought the CR-V w/NAV because of the large screen which helped me see the backup camera view better along with the radio station names. (I am a music lover). Many have complained about the NAV being outdated and since I have never used a GPS, I can't say that it is or is not. But, like your parents, I love the large screen and I, too, wanted a specific color interior/exterior. I have searched high and low and have not been able to find the difference in the 2012 CR-V and 2013 CR-V. I have been a Honda owner for over 20-yrs. and my past experience with Honda is that they will slightly change the back and/or front lights on their vehicles and not much else. If your parents are able to find the color interior/exterior they want in a 2012 CR-V, they will probably get a better deal than on a 2013 especially since Honda did not seem to change much of anything between the two. Oh by the way, I love my 2012 CR-V which I have had since June.
    Well, someone who has never used a cell phone would pick up a 2009 "flip phone" and think it was wonderful. With little or no frame of reference, the Honda NAV is great. However, I've owned a Garmin GPS and rented GPS equipment when travelling, travelled with others in luxury cars with NAV equupment so my frame of reference is wide-ranging. From your perspective, the Honda NAV is probably super, however, from mine, it is decidedly sub-par and is definately not worth the $1500 - $2000 that Honda charges for this antique (2009 vintage) NAV equipment. Good luck with your CR-V. Check your tires often...........I only got 16,000 miles from the factory tires and spent $1000, less than a year later to get a decent set of tires on the car. :cry:
  • wds1wds1 Member Posts: 23
    Thank you so much for you reply, Snuke. It really gives us a perspective from a senior citizen's point of view! They, too, have been long time Honda owners and are music lovers. The large screen is great, along with station listings, but I was a little concerned about their ability to use the navigation, as some have said it is not user friendly. One report I read said he wanted to pull it out and throw it out the window. HA! Anyway, I guess they will know more when they take a thorough look at it again when they visit the dealership. I don't think the CR-V's have changed from 2012 to 2013, other than some color changes, but they have just gotten an offer at invoice on the 2013. They are pleased with the OTD price, so I think they will take that offer, unless they decide to forgo the NAV. Thanks again for your input!
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    I always find that my $200 Garmin Nuvi works much better than the dealer installed Nav system. Fast And very east to use. I have gotten the dealer Nav in 4 of my cars over the years and my wife is clueless and hates navigating thru them. Save your money.............

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• ken75ken75 Member Posts: 52
    My wife just took her car (the 2011 CR-V) to Olathe, Ks. from St.paul and when she got near KC, the lovely Honda navi system steered her right through the center of town. No matter how many times she tried to get to the East of KC the nav system would not give her an alternate route. If you have ever had the misfortune of going through KC without really being familiar with it, good luck. The large screen is very nice to look at and the set up is easy but if it will not take you on the route you would like to take, it is not worth the extra money. My wife is a smart lady and knows how to use this thing so if she says not good things about it, we may just have to look at something with a decent nav system or as I stated previously, install a permanent Garmin Nuvi and that will solve the problem. At any rate, this will be the last Honda.
  • bmfcbmfc Member Posts: 9
    I type in the name of a local business and the NAV gives me listings in other states. I'm in MD and for a restaurant 10 minutes away, it gave me a restaurant with the same name in Texas. The system doesn't comprehend where you are.

I bought the new disc. There's a new highway near me but the new disc only picks up HALF of the highway. That's right: I'm on it and the system has me on vacant land but eventually picks it up. How does this make sense?
    To all CR-V owners who are displeased with the NAV system: you ought to send a complaint fax to American Honda, Customer Service, fax #(310) 783-3023. It appears Honda got stuck with a bunch of 2008 or earlier NAV systems when car sales dropped then and have been offing them on 2009, 2010, 2011, and, apparently, 2012 models to get rid of them. This is supposition since my CR-V 2011 NAV system and the others has deficiencies that were in some earlier models from manufacturers in China. I checked to try to replace mine and found many companies selling outdated NAV systems, with backup camera, etc. for around $300 to $500.

I have written to Honda USA, Japan, all corporate officers I could find addresses for. They finally gave me a $500 dealer credit with which I bought a update disc that really didn’t solve the problem at all, especially the Bluetooth deficiencies that are outlined in manuals but don’t function on the system (to get around that, they list phones that are “fully compatible,” yet no phone available in the U.S. as of September of this year is “fully compatible” with the outdated system in CR-V’s). I also purchased the deluxe mirror, which, along with fog lights, should have been on a “fully equipped” model as our CR-V was promoted to be.

Just word to the wise FYI: be sure to check your factory equipped tires on the CR-V since ours went 16,000 miles, down to 1/32nd", and we replaced them with decent tires, costing $1000. Every “luxury car” I have ever purchased had premium tires and a decent battery (the battery crapped out in 11 months. ) Honda shame on you!!