Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Navigation System

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited December 2013 in Honda
Questions about your CR-V navigation system? Ask here.

Check the search on the left for other makes/models or visit the generic Navigation / GPS Systems discussion.

Comments

• hotrodpthotrodpt Member Posts: 1
    My 07 Nav. system has a data version 20050830 and a software version 1.58.01. Is this what everyone else has or does anyone have the 3.60 version for fall of 2006, which is for sale on their [Honda's] website? I accessed this on the screen without pulling the DVD.
  • chas0215chas0215 Member Posts: 40
    Does Honda's nav system have text-to-speech capability (i.e. can it pronounce upcoming street names)? Thanks.
  • roma007roma007 Member Posts: 39
    No, Honda's nav system has no text-to-speech capability (at least in the CR-V), but I believe this applies to all current Honad/Acura models. The system does however support voice recognition, so it will react when you tell it to "Go Home", etc.
  • nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    Interesting. I had a small interest in getting the navigation model but if it does not pronounce street names, it is not worth the extra $2k then.
    Garmin Nuvi seems to be really cool compared to OE Navigation systems. The Garmin Nuvi comes with different accents as well - it is fun to listen to instruction in different European accents:)
  • chas0215chas0215 Member Posts: 40
    Has anyone purchased a 2007 CRV with the in-dash navigation system? If so, would you please share your opinion as to whether or not the system is worth $2000 as opposed to the less expensive portable GPS units like Garmin, Tom Tom, etc. Thanks.
  • carfreak8carfreak8 Member Posts: 58
    I have had my 2007 CR-V EX-L with Navigation for over a month. The system is awesome. It can give you voice directions. You can press a button on the steering wheel and say "Go Home", "show Lodging", "Show ATM", etc. When you are going by the system's directions, it is voice trained and when it needs to say something to you, it will turn the radio down a little bit(doesn't shut it off all the way). When getting to a turn, it says "Turn left in a Half mile" the it says "Turn Left in a quarter mile". When it says quarter mile alert, Half of the screen zooms in on the turn and at the top of the half in big letters shows the street name. The system also is touch screen, so everything you do is not done by some big nob. Overall the system is VERY good, it is very easy to use, and it is a nationwide phone book (and address book).

There is also other things that you get with that two thousand dollars. You get a back-up camera, which once you have, you find how much it helps, like when backing into a spot, you can see the curb so you don't hit it. Also, you get 270 watt sound system (instead of 160 watt), a seventh speaker, a sub woofer, and a digital audio-card reader.

Go For It!
  • nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    They should have added blue tooth capability to the phone directory. My nuvi has bluetooth and I can dial any number from the data base using bluetooth.

Can you update your navigation system operating system, and if so how do you do it? I connect my nuvi to my laptop once every two weeks to download firmware updates to the operating system and to download icons, MP3 songse etc.
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    I've never used a GPS navigation system - can someone explain how to enter a destination? Typing an address without a keyboard?
  • susanr1susanr1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I have a 2007 CRV w/navi. In the owners book for navi on page 130 it talks about climate control with voice activation. Can't get it to work. Any info?? Thanks!!!!
    Does anyone know how to reset the clock so it reflects the recent time change? The owner manual says that time updates are picked up via satelite. I wonder if they have a DST bug up there.
  • stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    It's in the book. It says that it wasn't adjusted so to turn off the auto setting for now and enter in manually. I have the nav book in the car and it took about 30 seconds to do.
    Thanks.
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    Yesterday finally took possession of '07 CR-V 4WD EX-L with navigation. Love it. Gave up the '05 EX.

My question concerns using a flash memory card (I'd prefer CompactFlash because I have some of them.)
    I want to know exactly what I need as far as an adapter is concerned to be able to use it in the vehicle. I'm looking for specific name/numeric description of item and possibly brand because I'm non-techie.

Also, I want to know how big a memory the card can have and still have it work. I ask that because I'm not sure if there is a limit.
    The owner's manual says this: "The card limit of the player is 255 folders and 999 tracks. If the card has a complex structure, it takes some time for the system to begin playing it."

I'm not sure what all that means. I'm not sure how much memory 999 tracks (regular rock 'n roll stuff, mp3 files) would take up on a flash card.

So first I want to find exactly which adapter I need. And then I want to know the maximum memory I can have in a CompactFlash card and not overdo it.
    Thanks
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    I'll answer myself on this one, since I finally got in touch with Honda America tech person. He said the tech folks said those are good questions. That makes me think their initial response is a not rhetorical device. The beast is so complex they can only know it so well at this point.
    They say it takes a PCMCIA adapter, Type II.
    And the most they've worked with is a 1 gigabyte (one gig) memory card. So it's up to someone else to try a card with more memory and report back.
  • civicman2civicman2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I can't find pc card adapter please help me and let me know exact model number or upc number to buy it. I've tried more than couple already but it won't fit in my pc card slot, they were little too big. I've got sandisk Compact flash card with adapter. Pleas let me know what to do...my email address is strikerscricketclub@gmail.com
    thankx
  • marig0107marig0107 Member Posts: 92
    well, we have a tom tom as well. It does way better with giving clear directions. So we'll carry that for out of town trips and such. But for day to day, it's nice not to have to plug and unplug a gps. And it's nice not to have wires plug into the ash tray and tucking that in.

And the back up camera is nice as long as you don't get too dependent on it that you become sloppy about backing up. It has blind spots so do your head checks.
  • marig0107marig0107 Member Posts: 92
    that was an oversight on the CRV manual. The navi for the crv's do NOT control climate....took my husband a day of research and finally sucking it up and calling the techs to see that the manual was wrong. I believe the navi's in some smaller honda cars do have the climate control. I don't see that as a big deal. Two knobs, turn left and turn right...lol...also, don't see much need for dual climate either, turn vent up, down, open or closed.... ;)
  • kosimomkosimom Member Posts: 1
    I am in need of a navi system circuit board (power controller) There was a mishap with a fuse while a technician was fixing something else and well...let just say smoke coming out of it was not a good sign.

Do you think I get can this part? If so where?
    It was made by Mitsubishi Electronics.
    If not how can I replace the whole system ?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I am in need of a navi system circuit board (power controller) There was a mishap with a fuse while a technician was fixing something else and well...let just say smoke coming out of it was not a good sign.

Do you think I get can this part? If so where?
    It was made by Mitsubishi Electronics.
    If not how can I replace the whole system ?

the Technician should have been bonded and insured to cover such loss. Or, if he was a smart one, he would have disconnected the negative terminal at the battery.

I am sure Honda sells the unit by it self, the cost is around $3000.

ITem 4

2698382 004 1 NAVIGATION UNIT (AVN-DVD) (ALPINE) GRAPHITE BLACK MSRP $4249.72 Discounted price: $2974.80
    Majestic Honda
  • bigdog999bigdog999 Member Posts: 6
    Shortly I will be a new owner of a 2007 CR-V EX-L w/Nav. I would like to purchase and setup the chip ahead of time, but nowhere does it state which chip it is, SD etc.
  • rkmagulurirkmaguluri Member Posts: 4
    This CR-V 2007 has a PC card slot. You need to buy PC MCIA type II card reader which takes any of the following memory cards SD/compact/MMC/XD/memory stick pro as input.
    then you have to but a memory card too.
    Follow this link. you can find the PC card reader
    PCMCIA Type II
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    Just bought an 07 EX-L with Nav. I bought a Sandisk Compact Flash PC Card Adapter and a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III Compact Flash Card. The adapter can be found for about $15 at Best Buy, and I found the 4GB at Adorama Camera online for $75. There is a manufacturer's rebate for $30 good through May 31st, which brings it down to $45.

I was able to load about 980 songs on the card. 4GB is perfect for the 999 file limit that Honda imposes. I'm still trying to tweak how to best arrange the songs on the card in the folder. The great thing is that it will display the Artist, Title and Album name on the screen. That's just awesome!!

But I can tell you this. The sound quality is awesome!! It totally blows away using your iPod through the mp3 aux jack. This is pure uncompromised sound coming directly from your mp3 file to the stereo. For about $60, I essentially have a 4GB iPod equivilent loaded into my CRV.

Finally, the navigation of searching through the 999 files is great. There is a keyword search where you can type in a partial keyword and it will find all songs that match that keyword. Type in "MAD" and it will retrieve all your Madonna songs for example. Then, you can just select which song you want to listen to and it starts playing immediately. Once the Flash Card loads for the first time and reads the file structure, access to any and all the songs is instantaneous. No lag switching between songs.

If you love your music and can live with a 999 file limit, then the PC Card is your best solution to getting the best quality music and functionality out of the system. Leave your iPod at home!!

So, the initial question posted in this forum asked if it's worth $2K for Nav. Given that Honda gives you an upgraded 270Watt system with 7 speakers and subwoofer, a backup camera, and a PC Card that can essentially double as an interal 4GB iPOD Nano, then I say emphatically YES, it is worth spending the extra $2K, because this is best bang for your buck for a nav system your going to get.

Good luck to everyone thinking about an EX-L with Nav.
    After having the vehicle for a week and playing with my PC Card filled with 900+ songs on it, I am running into a few problems with the "random" feature, particularly when in "Artist Mode". Everytime I turn off the random button (Preset #2) and turn it back on, it will always start with the same track number (#37) and then when I skip to the next "Random" song, the second, third, fourth, and even fifth songs are always in the exact same order!! It's like random really isn't all that random after all.

Also, I'm finding that it's always playing many of the same songs over and over again. I have over 900 songs on the card, and while in random mode, there have been some songs that I've heard 4 or 5 times, sometimes even after just having played a few songs earlier.

Therefore, I question their software algorithms for creating a true "random" session. Even after a week, it's easy to determine that the functionality is flawed. I'm also not suspecting that the Honda service technicians are even going to be trained to understand my problem or even care about my concerns. They'll probably just scratch their heads and not understand what I'm saying.

Anyways, just be on the lookout for issues like this when using your PC Card and report back if you find similar problems.
    This is a brand new 07 CRV, supposedly with the latest nav software. However, in our recent trip to Williamsburg, it failed to find several hotels, restaurants, and department stores that have been there for more than 2-3 years. Same thing closer to home where a shopping center has been there for almost 3 years and not a single store or restaurant is on the nav system. Very disappointed. I have a 2 year old Garmin 2620 that has all this information and that software is over 2 years old.

I can tell already that the Honda software has very few Points of Interest in their database, and hasn't been updated in quite some time. This software appears to be far inferior to the offerings of someone like Garmin.
    I have my CRV with Nav three months. I haven't used the PC card feature yet.
    I'm not as familiar with it as many others. Can I download from i-tunes to the flash card or will it prevent me from doing that with purchased music?

Your detailed explanation of where to buy and how to do it was helpful so I thought I would ask about this.
    Thanks.
    I assume you're talking about songs that you've purchased on iTunes? If so, I haven't tried it, but I do not believe you can. There a directions out on the web that will help you to burn your iTunes songs onto a CD and then you can rip them back onto your hard drive and save them as an .mp3 file.

Once you have the .mp3 file on your hard drive, it's as simple as copying the file to the Compact Flash card.
    Thank you. It's worth a try.
  • mikelynnmikelynn Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help..

the other day my 02 CR-V sat nav decided to continually restart itself after the inital disclaimer text. it does not even come up with disk read problems.
    i've pulled the fuse "8" to see if this would reset the unit but no joy.
    is it worth disconnecting the battery, or has it decided to give up on me?

any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

thanks

Mike
    That has been the one disappointment in my purchase. I've dealt with GPSes for years, and the software used by Honda is poor. Unverified streets, that BS. The POIs in this product is low, and with no ability to enter your own. i also would like to see being able to enter locations by coordinates.
    That has been the one disappointment in my purchase. I've dealt with GPSes for years, and the software used by Honda is poor. Unverified streets, that BS. The POIs in this product is low, and with no ability to enter your own. i also would like to see being able to enter locations by coordinates.

Call Honda Corporate and see what they will do for you. The number is in the Owner's Manual.
    I've only had my CRV for two weeks and this is the first Honda Nav I've ever had, but it pales in comparison to my Garmin Streetpilot 2620 we have. The Garmin is 2 years old, but has more updated maps than the '07 Honda, and it has far many more POIs in their database.

We live in Northern Virginia in Stafford County which is just outside the Metropolitan Area. As a result, we are part of what Honda calls "unverified" territory. While most of the roads seem to be there, the POIs are almost non-existant. The Wendys which is right off the highway and has been there for more than 10 years isn't even in the Honda database, nor are most restaurants or shopping.

How can anyone actually travel with the Honda Navs? It's nearly impossible to find a restaurant or gas station when travelling.

We were coming back from Williamsburg and looked up "McDonalds" and the stupid thing referenced a McDonalds more than 1,000 miles away!!

The stupid Nav doesn't have a freakin' clue of where you are or where you need to go to get a freakin' hamburger!!

I cannot find one positive thing to say about the Honda Nav System. Not one...........
    I cannot find one positive thing to say about the Honda Nav System. Not one...........

I am sure if you took it out and put it up on ebay there will be more than a handfull of bidders.

Did you call Honda Corporate and expressed your thoughts, just like I suggested in the previous reply to bigdog? You know they are not mind readers, if you don't tell them, they don't really know what you are thinking. Most likely all it takes is the updated DVD from Honda, if they have one for yout area. They release new DVD almost every year.

Did you or bigdog test the Nav system during your test drive? If not, then why complain?
    I test drove the Nav where I bought the car which is in the county north of us. Prince William County is in their databse, so they have more POIs.

The problem is with Honda's "Unverified Routes" where they don't include POIs (or very few). Unlike Garmin, which has POIs for everyplace within the US, it appears that Honda took a simpler and cheaper route by not going the extra mile to include a more comprehensive database.

As for an updated DVD, I have a 2007 CRV (built in April 2007), so it should have the most updated DVD already. If not, that's total BS on Honda's part for not putting in an updated DVD. Online, the DVD for the CRV is totally different from any of the other vehicles.

I guess I'm just curious if others are finding the same issues, particulary with the POIs. "unverified" could have drastic impacts when traveling with this nav system. Having a nav system is much more than just providing the routes on the road. POIs are just as much an integral part of the equation, and Honda's Nav system simply sucks at it.
    Yes I did test the Nav system when I test drove the vehicle. The area I test drove the vehicle was in a large metro area that is covered by the Nav System. Only later on as I drove to other areas, did I see the problems with the system. I operate hand held units on a regular basis, and have sold car units before at a sporting goods store i worked at. There as always are good and bad with the system. It has a nice large screen with good graphics and voice recognition, but in this day and age, there should be NO unverified streets and should have much more POIs. I will take your advise and contact Honda.
    In the 8 years that I have been using laptop based Nav systems (Delorme, Microsoft) I don't think I used POI ever. As I am driving along, I look at the road side signs that say that next McDonlads is so far away, next gas station is so far away. So, I never really had to use POI built into those systems.

But you have to admit that even with a poor POI database, it still beats driving around trying to find a street, or getting a map.
  • tcheeltcheel Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the EX-L with Nav on a new 2007 CRV in April for my wife. I was driving it this weekend and could not get the Auto Dim to work on the nav screen. I asked my wife about this and she said she has just been going to the settings button and manually switching to the night mode at night. I called the national Honda service and they said it should automatically switch from day to night when I turn on the lights, so I called the dealer (50 miles away) and he said he didn't know if it should work or not unless I take it in. I don't want to drive the 50 miles unless the auto selections is supposed to work. Has anyone else had this trouble?
  • rkmagulurirkmaguluri Member Posts: 4
    You need to set it to "Auto" mode. and when ever you turn on the lights it goes to the night mode. when you turn off the lights it will come back to the day mode.
    Thats how they designed it to work.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Collegehillshonda.com has a portable nav system for Honda. It looks like Honda will be selling an add on one for those who don't have it. Looks interesting. A portable installed system. Maybe other companies could follow suit.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_crv_accessories/2007_crv_electronics.htm
    http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/gen3_crv/08a44.pdf
    That may be how they designed it to work, but that isn't the way it's working, at least for me. Do you have the Nav in your CR-V or are you just quoting scripture from the Honda Bible?

I have mine set to "Auto" mode, and nothing changes when I turn on my headlights. It remains in Daytime mode. The only way to get it to change to Night mode is to go to setup and manually select Night mode. It's probably a software bug. Personally, I don't like the night mode, so I'm happy to keep it on daytime all the time anyways. It does make the cabin nice and bright at night though!!
  • adkinsdwadkinsdw Member Posts: 3
    There is a knob near the speedo that controls the brightness of the dash lights. This knob has to be turn one notch off full brightness in order for the Auto switch on the NAV control to work correctly.
  • c_lam3c_lam3 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 2008 EX-L with Navigation. However, I am not sure if the build in navigation is worth it or not. It sure is convenient and aesthetically pleasing, but functional-wise is it really convenient when compared with 3rd party solutions like TomTom? Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    It's very nice. Very easy to use but have only used the Acura TL variant which is identical. Voice recognition can recognize over 600 commands. It comes with a PC card slot to play mp3s with an adaptor. They sell them very cheaply. Comes with an Add on CD changer. It's nicer since it doesn't have to be mounted on the dash. Even honda is rebadging garmin systems. The navi however is made by Alpine. The navigation system includes a backup camera.
  • paris27paris27 Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to the whole navigation system thing, and don't know much about it at all. I'm thinking of purchasing a CR-V EX-L with the navigation system. Is there a monthly fee to use the service? I know with the XM radio, there is (after the 90 days trial), but didn't know about the navigation system.

thanks ahead of time!
    No monthly fee but if you want to it's 185 USD to upgrade the navigation discs each year. You aren't forced to buy the upgrade discs.
  • paris27paris27 Member Posts: 2
    That's great, thanks so much for the info!
  • nishant2200nishant2200 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just got the new 2008 EXL 4WD with the navigation system. I notice that according to the manual, if I set guidance setup to maximum, it should pronounce street names 1/2 mile before turning. So far, it does not, it says turn right, and shows the street name and turn in split screen. When I entered my home address using voice, it did verify the entire address of me and pronounce the name of my street, hence it does have the software to pronounce street names. I am missing some setting, the dealer does not know anything about it. Can anyone help me here.
  • maynerdmaynerd Member Posts: 25
    I purchased the Sandisk 6 in 1 reader listed in this thread and soon discovered that there is a 1GB limitation on the card. I'm looking to use a 2GB SD card and maybe later down the road I might be looking at a larger SD card that uses SDHC.

Can anyone recommend me a card that will work in my nav unit that will support SDHC and sizes larger than 2gb?

Thanks!
  • ur251369ur251369 Member Posts: 2
    maynerd, I currently use an Antec CF/PCMCIA adapter and have a 2GB flash card installed with no problems. I believe I've read elsewhere on this forum that there is a 999 song limit with the Honda built-in nav/audio unit. Good Luck!
  • kiran23kiran23 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the disclaimer message screen that appears everytime the car is started? I usually set the screen to Audio display and it would be nice to have it directly show whatever screen it was last set on. The disclaimer screen is very annoying, any thoughts??