Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Grand Caravan: Tell Chrysler What You Want

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
edited March 2014 in Dodge
What suggestions do you have for improvememts on the Grand Caravan?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    I would want all of the "de-contented" items returned. Heated wiper grid, back-lit switces, lighting, etc. Also people are buying GM (not minivans) and foreign makes because DC also de-contented their warranty from 7/70 to 3/36, while the others are lengthing their coverage period.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Excellent suggestions. I agree with ALL of your suggestions and would add:
    Put the Instant Economy function back on the trip computer.
    Get rid of the "White Face" instrument cluster and replace with black background that does not reflect sunlight.
    Eliminate the CHEAP appearance of the interior by putting padded vinyl or cloth, carpet, and lights on front and sliding doors as the Caravan SE had when first introduced in 1984.
    Stop building CHEAP Chrysler Town & Country models. Call the CHEAP Chrysler minivans Voyagers.
    Bring back a 3rd Caravan/GC model: either an LE or ES.
    Offer the largest engine as an option on every level (SE, SXT, LX, Touring in addition to Limited).
    Produce a NON "Stow 'N Go" version for people who place comfort ahead of ability to haul cargo.
    Make ALL 2nd row seats capable of fore and aft movement.
    Eliminate the severe rounding of the rear to increase cargo capacity in the same length or shorter length.
    Place the compact spare tire INSIDE the vehicle where it is located on the Honda Odyssey. :shades:
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Now that DCX is releasing a new minivan for '08, and they try hard to be the minivan leader, they should please listen to what the customers wants. And listen good:

I agree very much with the above posts. First of all, bring back all "de-contented" features, most of them has already been re-placed on some newer Chrysler vehicles, such as the 300 and Sebring, so it's a safe bet that the minivan will have them as well. The only reason Chrysler dropped this stuff (due to money issues) was because almost no other minivan offered them. Who offered a wiper de-icer in 2004? But since then, many imports feature them already, so it will be a wise decision to bring them back.

The engine and transmission sounds very good on paper, and I hope will be in real life, as well. But please, fuel efficient.

Better interior quality is a must. From the leather and fabric quality, switches and dials, carpet, everything needs to get better. Steering wheel needs to get smaller. Cruise control switches illuminated. Get rid of the white gauges. Get into optitron...

Bring back the smooth, quiet ride, as the pre-2005 models. Since the stow'n'go vans, the ride is not as smooth anymore. And the brakes and traction control are not balanced properly. If you hit a pothole during braking - even the slightest one - you could feel yourself loosing control and traction control pops in... Of all the countless cars I drove, none of them has such a bad behavior.

And of course, add "FULL-SPEED" traction control, and add stability control standard on all models, like the Cheap Kia minivans does.

The power sliding doors makes a strange noise when finishing to close. No other minivan makes such noises.

Improve handling, so the driver should have a confident feeling. Lower turning circle.

Make seats more comfortable, even with stow'n'go. Toyota Sienna has very comfy seats, even though the rear seat flushes into the floor. Expend the room in the rear well. DCX vans have the smallest space, compared to any other minivan (except for the Ford Freestar).

Bring back dual lamps on liftgate (or one in center - not like it's on the current), and the security lamps on the front doors on ALL models, illuminated glove box(es), ignition key ring. Big interior door handles as on the 300.

That's for now. I will have some more coming up.
    Please do NOT get optitron instrument cluster. My 2006 Sienna LE has it and I do NOT like it. :cry:

However, I agree with the rest of your suggestions
    ...especially more comfortable 2nd row seating and decent quality door panels. Why not just COPY the excellent Odyssey 2nd and 3rd row seating with excellent seats and mounting/folding mechanisms?

The Sienna has THE BEST location for the rear heater air intake high up on the right rear so that all of the luggage space is useable unlike the Odyssey where the intake is near the floor.
    Hans,

Is there a reason why you don't like it? not practical or whatever, or just a matter of taste?

What would you suggest Chrysler to do instead of the white faces? Just old-style green lights? All newer vehicles are switching over to optitron, they look beautiful. Most Toyotas, Hondas, Cadillac and many Lincolns, and of Course the higher-end luxury cars as Mercades etc., all have'em.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Probably a matter of taste where the 2006 Sienna has shiny surfaces surrounding the 4 gauges.

I prefer the old pre-2001 GC and T&C orange numbers and needle on a black background. I also liked the T&C ability to have the lights on the overhead console BRIGHT and readable at night when I turned the gauge lights dim so the gauge lights would be more restful on my eyes.

I am afraid DC will eliminate the superior stereo controls of the 2001-2002 T&C/GC on the minivans and replace the current watered down minivan stereo controls with the same stereo controls in most other DC vehicles...where there is NOT a separate toggle switch for Bass, Treble, Balance, and Fade that was on my 2002 T&C LX.
  • timothyftimothyf Member Posts: 40
    I'd like to see oil pressure and amp/battery gauges. I have a 2002 GC AWD. Do the new vans have a limited slip differential?
    Most websites covering the NY Auto Show already have photos from the new 2008 vans. They look pretty nice, IMO.

I would still suggest Chrysler to cut the size of the A/C vents in half, and bring the climate controls and cup holder up closer to the driver. I also don't like the wheels on the Chrysler.
  • martianzrusmartianzrus Member Posts: 1
    I've been waiting for this for a long time and was basically 'ready to buy' (next fall) when I noticed they've discontinued the most useful feature, for me, the AWD. It makes an All Wheel Difference in snow ice and mud, expecially on the back roads where I live, of all places, SE Iowa! Please bring AWD back! Otherwise I'll have to start all over trying to find a vehicle that can get me up my brother-in-law's country driveway in winter, while still giving me the space to haul passengers or 4 x 8 sheets of drywall!
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    AWD was dropepd in 2005 for Stow and go. It would be difficult to have the secodn row storage bin and a driveshaft to the rear axle. Only Sienna offers AWD, and only on the $35k+ Limited.Or, You can buy a $50k Surburban. That's all the choices you have with your resctition, although I personally think AWD is not required for 98% of people who have it. Maybe you're in that minority.
  • dodie01dodie01 Member Posts: 3
    Why dont the Caravans have the 2nd row windows go down? Toyota and Kia have this as standard. I have a 2001 Grand Caravan Sport that I'm looking to replace and its always been an issue with kids not having fresh air, this will make me choose another model.( maybe I can hold out for the 08 if I knew the windows would go down) My 2001 currently has 286000 km and has been very good to us having had no problems for the past 6 yrs. Obviously I'd like to get this kind of mileage out of my next purchase.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    The 2008 CG minivans will have 1st and 2nd row up/down windows and 3rd row pop-out vents.
  • mtl1977mtl1977 Member Posts: 3
    The 2008MY power middle windows will be sweet.

What I want -

- RF headphones so the front passenger can hear the DVD audio.

- A real audio system, standard - at least on the DVD/Nav vehicles. 62 watts? Are you joking? I can barely hear the 6-disc DVD changer movie audio! :mad: :mad: :mad:

- Rear sway bar on all models!

- One touch close on the sunroof.

- Steering wheel audio controls and work the audio system even when the navigation screen is displayed! :mad:

- A button that automatically moves the power front seats up for Stow-N-Go access. Yeah, I know, a passenger might get crushed into the dash. Well, tie it into the airbag weight sensors in the seats so they don't move if someone is sitting.

- An open all power doors function if two remote buttons are pressed simultaneously.
  • hdbrg1hdbrg1 Member Posts: 3
    Please bring back the AWD!!! I've been waiting to purchase a new van(current model 2000 has 140k), and I would do it now if you had an AWD model. We like the van, have had six of them since they came out, '85, and we want another. can't beat them in the snow for skiing etc..
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,782
    Yep, unless AWD comes back, no more of these vans for me. I guess I will have to get a Toyota. If only Subaru would release one, then I would not even care if Chrysler keeps making vans! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Roll down 2nd row windows are just a sales gimmick. My 2006 Sienna has them and I very rarely use them. Opening both sliding doors will cool off the vehicle 10 times as fast as rolling down the windows in the power sliding doors.

There is TOO much wind noise if 2nd row windows are rolled down at speeds above 20 or 30 mph. Additionally, there is wind noise from the 2nd row windows of the Sienna that was not present with the flush 2nd row windows of my 2002 T&C. :mad:
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    "Please bring back the AWD!!!"

I wonder if AWD got lost because of Sto 'n Go...
  • shagyashagya Member Posts: 5
    A person could buy a low mileage used AWD chrysler van but the real problem is ... what is so important about "stow and go" anyway? For the people that need it four wheel drive is much more important. Up here in Canada 4WD should be available on ALL cars and vans. A lighter duty 4wd system is only supposed to get you through snow on more or less normal streets, NOT across country.
  • tom166tom166 Member Posts: 31
    On 7-2-07 I bought a new Caravan with 38 miles on it. Learned shortly after that the transmission is bad. Chrysler is supposed to have a fix for it but it will take 60 to 90 days before it will be afailable . If something is broken that you buy at WalMart you take it back and get an exchange or a refund!Chrysler doe's not feel like Walmart, to keep the customer coming back.I've been told to drive the vehicle as is and when a fix doe's come in, I will be notified. No date can be given as to when the fix will be coming. UNLESS I"VE BEEN LIED TOOOOOOOOO!
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    "A person could buy a low mileage used AWD chrysler van but the real problem is ... what is so important about "stow and go" anyway? For the people that need it four wheel drive is much more important."

We would like Sto 'n Go when heading out to dog shows. As it is now, we need to remove the seats of our pre-Sto 'n Go T&C to get kennels in, a real PITA.

I'm in the market for a 17' fish 'n ski boat, but no way would I want to tow it without AWD or 4WD, so even though Chrysler says their minivans can tow up to 3500 lbs with towing package, I wouldn't dare try to haul the boat back up a wet ramp with only front wheel drive.

Besides, Chrysler doesn't want its minivan owners towing anything anyway. Their transmissions really can't handle it.

So, we're looking very seriously at Saturn Outlook instead...
This discussion has been closed.