Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayman Prices Paid and Buying Experience

13»

Comments

• crowncitycrowncity Member Posts: 7
    I just bought my Cayman S. Porsche has all features as add ons, so it's a huge pain to get exactly what you want without doing a special order. If you do a S.O., you don't get the discount.

I am very happy with the unexpected options (sport seats, PASM, thicker leather steering wheel) but wish I had waited for automatic seats and steering wheel radio controls. But these are minor things.

Also, I insisted on the Bose upgrade (($950) which was a complete waste of my money. I am having the entire thing taken out this week and replaced. In addition, I opted for aftermarket Nav. You can get a great after market system that looks factory installed with real time trafic, XM radio, Ipod, etc. The quality if much better than Porsche.

I also got dealer Clear Bra. The C.B. is great, but I now realize I pay 3xs the price. I'm going to get more put on but through a different facility.

In terms of price, I saved more than 50% of the diference between sticker and invoice. I believe it was $800 + 50% the difference.
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your Cayman as much as I do. It makes me smile every time I drive it.
  • RamiRami Member Posts: 2
    Looks like no one has posted to this forum for a while. I was hoping to find out some information on actual prices paid. Here in the Bay Area dealers are typically offering $10k off MSRP, in fact they are even advertising it. In looking at inventory levels, it looks like Caymans are moving, but it seems nobody wants a Cayman S. As we head toward year end, and with the new body and engine tweaks for 2009, I think the deals will be better. A Porsche is always a second or third car and given the economic news, folks are not spending as freely as they once did. My guess is that with declining sales in the US, more Porsches will be finding their way to other countries. But for now, the deals are good and getting better for Porsches.

And if anybody is reading and has actually purchased a Cayman, please let us know!
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    Those prices are on executive demos with a few miles on them. That pricing is not available on brand new Caymans. They don't have that kind of markup.
  • donc6donc6 Member Posts: 16
    yea.. this forum is not well attended... I never view -- but the system alerts of a message.
    The forum you want to visit is: caymanclub.net. It is very, very active and has a whole section on buying/leasing. $10K off MSRP is about right -- especially now. I bought my Cayman at Fremont, a 2007 model, and didn't get that kind of deal, but the dealers are likely having a difficult time with the economy AND the 2009 models are on their way. I find it interesting that you are seeing the CaymanS models not moving -- that is just backwards from a year ago... Most everyone spent the extra 10K for the S... though I went with the 2.7 Cayman.
    As you consider the Caymand vs. Cayman S, you can find a lot of comparisions on the caymanclub.net site -- with the CS folks noting that the extra 50 hp and torque is worth the money, and the 2.7 folks noting that you get to use more of the car for daily driving and the extra $10K in you pocket is nice.

I can vouch for the 2.7 being very entertaining for daily driving, and... is also very entertaining on the track -- I've tracked the car at Thunderhill (north of Sacramento, off interstate 5.). When you get your Porsche and get past the 2000 mile break in period, you just have to do a "Driver Education" event at Thunderhill -- more fun than you can believe.

Best wishes... Don
  • kmanskmans Member Posts: 20
    Rami you are wrong and I tried to give you information to help you but the site admins wouldn't let me so at this point you are on your own to search for that information elsewhere on the web because you won't find it here... nuff said...
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    How are those executive demo Caymans? Are they really "good as new?" Do you see any of them come back with major problems (clutch...)?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    They are in excellent condition. The ability to drive a new Porsche is a perk for the executives. They come back in great condition. No abuse, only the occasional nick or cut from backing into something. I think they are the best buys on the lot.

I have not seen any come back with major problems.
  • mling1126mling1126 Member Posts: 3
    the lowest I have heard is about 10-12K off MSRP. anyone getting better deal than that?
    Again check onto caymanclub.net for a very active web site. The best advice has been not to focus only on price make sure you get the model you want with the options you want and then evaluate the price. If you can get the model you want etc for $10K off take it and run.

You will regret a car without the oprions you want even if $15K off
  • mannyljrmannyljr Member Posts: 20
    I've been shopping for a Porsche since the summer. I first drove the Cayman then the Boxster. I loved both of them, but was leaning toward the Boxster, because it was a bit less and convertible. I held off buying as the economic news worsened and I saw prices dropping. I started to keep track of the cars I was looking at and you can see how much they are dropping. I'm mainly interested in a used Cayman as the depreciation on a two year old car is around $20 - $30K. I paid $30K for my Mazda RX-8 in 2004.

http://mannyljr.typepad.com/lizardslair/2008/12/best-in-price-porsche-cayman.htm- l
  • crocodiletearscrocodiletears Member Posts: 18
    what are the current lease deals on an 09 cayman? i'm looking to get a basic one (pdk, heat, ipod, bluetooth) around 52-53k off of 58 msrp. zero down, 10k.
    I'm not familiar with lease arrangements.. suggest you visit "Caymanclub.net" or "PorschePlanet" -- the best blog for Cayman, bar none.
    When I bought my '07 base 2.7, I paid 52K from the 56K MSRP.. but that was then... I'd say that your only problem will be that your spec is a bit unique -- e.g. base with PDK...I don't know how many of them are out there... clearly the S with PDK will be a hot setup..

good luck.. D
  • crocodiletearscrocodiletears Member Posts: 18
    thanks for the feedback.

i've already posted on planetporsche.net and not much has come from it. the spec that i listed is a common base dealer order or what is left of the rather small amount of 09s produced. i'd like bi-xenon and climate control as well, but they're hard to find.
  • 9squaregrid9squaregrid Member Posts: 15
    Just took the plunge on a Black on Black Cayman Base and wanted to add my transaction to this forum since there haven't been any posts in a few months.

MSRP: 57,270
    Sales price: 50,247

Most dealers that I called were offering 8-12% discounts right off the batt on the phone.

I leased the vehicle. If you're interested in seeing the specifics of the lease deal, see this post in the Leasing questions forum.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I'm looking at leasing a new 09 Cayman and would appreciate an idea of current Nov 09 pricing by dealers for new Caymans, especially in So CA. Are they still discounting as heavily as earlier in the year?
  • hannabhannab Member Posts: 26
    In a Costco auto program email, it lists a $6,000 dealer to incentive sometimes called "trunk money" on '09 Caymans & Cayman S. Edmunds does not list it, but does have the 1.9% finance offer. CarMan can yo confirm? Thanks
  • kmanskmans Member Posts: 20
    Yes Porsche has both trunk money and 1.9% financing through January and given that sales are still down (except for the new Panamera) dealerships should be willing to deal heavily on a 2009 car since the 2010's have arrived. Porsche has cut back production significantly so 2010 cars may be hard to find and harder to get discounts on, but still the incentives are there.
  • hannabhannab Member Posts: 26
    Thanks Kman, local do you know if the $6K trunk money and 1.9% finance can be combined? Local dealer I visited said no they cannot, however, it seems to me that a finance incentive to the customer should be independent of any incentives to from manufacturer to dealer
  • jcwemcjcwemc Member Posts: 2
    I have to believe this was a good deal. Base Cayman, 18" Cayman S wheels, heated seats, sound package plus, bluetooth, ipod connector, MSRP $54,965, paid $41,000. The dealer was desperate to get rid of it. Thoughts?
  • johnzeejohnzee Member Posts: 9
    I came across the Porsche Cayman Lease offer. I called two dealers one in Salt Lake City and the other in Las Vegas, BTW I assume no S becasue it is $85K:

MSRP $47965
    Money Factor - 0.00186
    Mileage - 12K/year
    Residual - 50%
    Cap Reduction - 3000
    Porsche offers the lease payment offer of- $529/month.

But I am not able to calculate this payment unless I put about $7500 down, Which sounds ridiculous to me. Does anyone know what the details of this lease offer really means.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    You are missing one part of the equation: The selling price!

If your calculation shows $7500, instead of $3000, then $4500 is the discount from MSRP, resulting in a sale price of $43,465..

But.. a Cayman starts at $52,350 MSRP.. ???? :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• johnzeejohnzee Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your reply.

The Porsche Dealer in Las Vegas quoted me the MSRP at $47965. This price is obviously for a base Cayman, or an invoice cost but certainly not for an S. But if I use your MSRP number:

I know by talking to the dealer that the Money Factor is currently at - 0.00186.

Selling Price - I will use the number of $44500 because it is the only one that makes sense in my lease calculator. I dont know if I would actually get this price.

My desirements are to have a annual Mileage of 12K/year (this is what the Gaudin in Las Vegas quoted to me)

Residual - 50% (?)

I am using a Cap Reduction of $3000. But if I want the payment number to come down to $526.02 per month, and by using an arbitrary selling price of $44500 then I will need to put down $5K, but there is no guarantee that Gaudin will sell the car for $44500.

The odd thing is that Porsche is now offering lease payment of - $529/month for a Cayman.

So I can't understand what the deal is here.Yet I see others in this forum have advertised that they have received screaming deals on a Cayman S lease. I dont know where I am going wrong, Can you break it down?

Thanks again!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Well... I think you'll have to get some real numbers from the dealer... starting with the actual MSRP of the car..

Otherwise, we are just guessing...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nieceniece Member Posts: 2
    i just leased a $60,100 ( msrp ) Cayman , $1800 down $775 / month , how did i do ?? 10,000 miles ( i don't drive more than that ) and 36 months .....only paid a deposit so far , so i can back out ....thanks for any input ....having buyers remorse ...
    I agree that you need to look at the MSRP... but $60K for a base Cayman seems a bit high... unless it is totally loaded with extras... I bought my 2007 base Cayman for 54K and it had 18in wheels, a lot of creature comforts, etc.. but no leather or nav unit.. even with a lot of such options, doesn't sound like much of a discount...
    Just my opinion.. D
  • nieceniece Member Posts: 2
    thanks , it ' is ' loaded ...and it still seems like a lot for a monthly lease payment , but if anyone has done a 2010 recently i would be interested in hearing ....thank You
  • anijhawanijhaw Member Posts: 24
    I found a 2010 Cayman S in the area with all of the options I am looking for. MSRP is 74k. Is it possible to get a car like this for 60k given its a year older?
  • mannyljrmannyljr Member Posts: 20
    I'm guessing you are talking new. $14K discount of MSRP seems unlikely. $10K off is probably your best deal. Otherwise, you can find used 2009 Cayman S in the $50K's and 2010 Cayman S used for around $60K. At $74K, I'd say your car is pretty loaded and it'd be hard to find another like it.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    You can look up MSRP and invoice right here on Edmunds. Porsche had $2k in dealer money on left over 2010 Caymans, so invoice - $2k would be POSSIBLE. Anything less is losing money on the deal for the dealer. If / when Porsche increases the incentive the lower prices would be possible.

I have seen some dealers with new 2009 or 2008 models still stuck on the lots. They don't want to lose money on them and can't sell them for what they have in them.

Loaded up cars seem to be the most likely to get left behind.

My 2010 S had a sticker of $64.5k or so and I think I paid $58.2k or so for it (dealer invoice).
  • rw3wrw3w Member Posts: 1
    BTW, just curious can you give me the dealers have left over cayman from 2010? I wouldn't might getting a cheap brand new Porsche.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Go to the dealer locator page title. Put in your zip and find dealers, click on each one and choose new vehicles and then "Cayman Inventory" and it will show what each dealer has in stock. Change your ZIP pr state to widen the search.

I think you find that most of the left overs are now gone, but it certainly easy enough to check. Normally once the final buy down is done all discount loans and leases go away. So unless paying cash you have to watch that the discounted car and non-discounted money costs you more than buying or leasing a 2011.
This discussion has been closed.