Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayman Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
edited September 2014 in Porsche
Tell us about it!!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• mcmoyermcmoyer Member Posts: 1
    Iwas told if I ordered a Cayman now it would take 4 months.Can anyone advise when the Porsche 08 Cayman will be coming out. If it is in aug./sept. I might wait for them.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    More like September/October is when you would actually see one here. Most of August is vacation time at Porsche. I'm assuming no significant model year changes that might delay it even more.
  • RamiRami Member Posts: 2
    I've been following this forum for a while and I am surprised that the number of postings is so small. To me it's an indication that there is a lack of interest in the Cayman. I will be buying a Cayman some day but I am in no rush. I'm guessing that by the end of the year Caymans will be selling for 10 to 20% off MSRP, or $6K to $12k off.

The problem with the Cayman is that Porsche tried to fill a niche which ultimately proved to be nonexistent. There are no other two seaters in the $60k range. There is nothing compelling about a Cayman at $60k, but not so at $50k.
    You could probably get 8-10% off today, if you shopped around. But punt on the idea of getting a new one for 20% off. According to my dealer, the Caymans are still selling reasonably well and, in the last 12 months, Porsche has elected to cut back production of models rather than overload the dealers. The "oldest" Cayman he has on his lot (6-7 total) arrived in late February, so it's not as though they are sitting for 6+ months. The markup is 12-13%, and I've never heard of a dealer selling any new Porsche at a loss, unless it's a wacky special order that they go stuck with.

As for no other 2-seaters in the $60k range? You need to get out more often. Start with the $200k Ferrari 430 and work your way down. Hell, you can even spend $80k on a couple of American made 2 seaters in the Corvette Z06 and Viper. As for the "$60k range", when the average "entry level luxury performance sedan" (ELLPS) runs around $40k+, a world class sports car like the Cayman S can seem like a bargain to some. Not necessarily me, as I wanted my kids to come along and got a 911 instead.
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    Is this true,

CL 63 AMG boasts the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 engine in the world.???

I dont know much in details about car engine, can any1 tell me whats the difference between the naturally aspired and the twin turbo??? i know the twin turbo engines are fast but what else is the difference, i wanna to know in detail.

I want to know everything abt it how does it feel while driving whats the power difference whatever info u guys got....... all kinds of info will be appreciated
  • chrmdomechrmdome Member Posts: 107
    Greetings:

I purchased a 997 C2S new in September 2005. I am 6 ft 1 in. tall and weight 235 lbs. ( 40 in. waist..okay so i'm " chunky !) Getting into my 997 with the door size as it is, presents absolutely no problem. Head and leg room galore and I actually have to move the seat forward for comfortable driving. I looked at a Cayman at an auto show earlier this year. I could not get my left leg in the car. My head was hitting the ceiling and the steering wheel was in my chest with the seat fully back. Could this be the reason for the less that sterling Cayman sales here in the US? I put this car on the level of the 3 series BMW, I couln't get in that damned car either, so I bought a 5 series. I don't consider myself to be a huge individual, but the Cayman obviously seats a smaller person. I can't arque with the design or the performance... what a great looking and performing car...after all it's a Porsche. But just not the car for me and in fact , probably not for the general french fry eating American. I would suspect the market target for the Cayman to be the 25 to 40 year old moderate income earner less likely to be in the older age catagory carrying around that well endowed, expensive love handle at the waist.

Chromedome.
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    I think everyone fits differently. I personally do not have enough headroom in a 997 (sunroof), but fit fine in my Cayman. If I was any wider or my legs any longer, I would not fit comfortably in the Cayman-I'm "right there".

Because, I know it will be asked, I'm 41yrs of age, 6'4 (35"inseam), 210lbs, and have a 34" waist. I've noticed at caymanclub.net, that most of the folks tend to be male, seemingly very well off, and 30-70yrs of age, with a good healthy chunk over 50yrs.
  • davekmdmddavekmdmd Member Posts: 5
    I'm starting to poke around as regards a Cayman S. I've not owned a Porsche before and am not sure what to expect as regards pricing and negotiating for price when I walk into the dealer. I'm looking at the S with approximately $12K (retail) in options (PASM, Chrono, wheels, Preferred Package Plus, and the PCM). I think the MSRP will be around $70 (?$58 + $12k options) Any ideas (from those of you who've purchased recently or would have credible information) as what might I expect, price-wise?
    I'd shoot to get 8-9% off MSRP on an in stock, new car. If you have to order it, perhaps a little bit less. There is roughly a 13% mark-up.
  • joechicago7joechicago7 Member Posts: 22
    The Cayman is about 5k more than the Boxster. Aren't the specs on the two cars about the same? And the Boxster is a convertible. So isn't the Boxster a better deal?

What am I missing?

Thanks
  • vwguild1vwguild1 Member Posts: 98
    A true mid-engine sports car with 100% greater structural rigidity than the Boxster...
  • joechicago7joechicago7 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the response, but can you expand a little?

Even though its the same horsepower, is it worth spending an extra 5k and you don't get a convertible?

Thanks
    The Cayman is not simply a hardtop Boxster. Completely different body style and design that looks much better, IMO. And it does have a stiffer chassis for better handling although, in fairness, both the Cayman S and Boxster S are very good handling cars and some road tests have put them neck and neck in that department.

I own a 911S Cab which is, in fact, virtually identical to the 911 Coupe except for the top. But the Cayman is a different body style and has the a liftback for more storage, etc. You may think that paying extra for similar performance in a coupe vs. a roadster is odd, but the few Cayman buyers I know didn't even consider the Boxster. They cross shopped it with a 911 (non-S) Coupe.
    I would have to say that it is all about the drive experience...And other factors that are ergonomic...If you drive both cars, back to back and over the identical course,
    the answer will be clear...If you like the way the Boxster handles; you will absolutely love the Cayman.

As an everyday driver, I just like the hatch...room to lay out dry cleaning, groceries, even golf clubs will fit in there without any effort...Just a lifestyle thing I guess...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    If you do, then you'd be crazy to spend extra for the Cayman...

If you view having a convertible as a bonus, then it might be a toss-up..

If you don't want a convertible, then the Cayman will be worth every penny (this is my feeling).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• gkoffgkoff Member Posts: 36
    Comments on choice of manual transmission. How much more is the 6 speed? If its part of a package, what else do you get. Would the 6 speed be more fun?
    They aren't options..

The base car comes with the 5-speed and the "S" model comes with a 6-speed.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"They aren't options.. The base car comes with the 5-speed and the "S" model comes with a 6-speed."

Incorrect. The "sport" option on the base Cayman gives you PASM and a 6-speed (instead of 5 speed) manual transmission, for a price of around $2,500.

As far as being more fun to drive, I don't think the extra gear in the transmission makes much of a difference in performance. In a base 911, PASM (Adjustable suspension) is a $2k stand alone option, so that's mostly what you are paying for in that sport package on the base Cayman. I think PASM, which was standard on my 911S (which has 19" wheels), is a very nice option. Set on "normal" the car handles very well, but provides a smooth, comfortable ride. Set on "sport", the suspension stiffens up considerably for even tighter handling, but you feel every bump. Having the ability to toggle between the two depending upon road conditions and your driving mood is very nice, particularly if you are also thinking about a wheel and tire upgrade to larger/lower profile tires. But it is an expensive option and you might want to try test driving cars equiped with PASM and non-PASM cars before deciding.

P.S. The PASM also lowers the car/ride height by about 1/2", which helps with handling even on the "normal" setting, but most drivers would find that hard to distinguish.
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    I have a Cayman S (6-speed) and it is a blast to crank through the gears during a spirited drive. I actually believe that the car doesn't really need 6 gears as the 1st gear is so tall that you shift to 2nd quickly (which is also too tall IMO). I understand that Porsche intentionally geared the Cayman S this way to keep it from being faster than the 911.

No matter what transmission you get, you will love the car as it is the most balanced, fun to drive car available. I was going to buy a 911S but when I drove the Cayman S it was just as much if not more fun and I saved $20K.
  • gkoffgkoff Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for response. I'd be a first time Porsche buyer and I would think 6 speed is more in keeping with the competition. Seems to me that ought to be standard.
    "I understand that Porsche intentionally geared the Cayman S this way to keep it from being faster than the 911."

Bunk. The 3.8 liter engine in the 911S has 20% more horsepower and torque than the Cayman S. It posts road test results that put it in the 3.9-4.2 second 0-60 range, significantly faster than the Cayman S, which is essentially the same (very good) performance as the Boxster S. I know that there are some that wish Porsche would go mid-engine rather than rear engine layout for the 911, but they are fighting 40+ years of iconic level history. And when you look at how advanced the 997 model 911 is in handling, I don't think there is much of a need for those purists to worry. The new GT3 is being touted as one of the best handling sports car in the world and the best handling production Porsche ever.
  • bibs1bibs1 Member Posts: 3
    This is my dream car of 30 years so i don't want to blow this. I was thinking maybe buying it on line but then you don't see the actual car. What it has and the extras you really didn't want. So, maybe the dealership, but now you may pay too much. Also, when is the best time. I see one I would like, color and model, should I play the waiting game?

dave
  • donc6donc6 Member Posts: 16
    Dave, I'm in the same boat... I'm ready to sit down with a dealer and want to know what sort of "deal" I can expect. I see that the delta in MSRP and Invoice for options is 15%.. but the web shows no "invoice price"... do we assume that a hungry dealer will be willing to deal in the 10% discount range for the car and options??

Anyone who has a recent experience -- your feedback would be helpful!
    donc6
    First, you can check the Porsche web site for a list of dealers in your area (up to 300 mile radius) and then click on each to show their inventories. Finding car(s) in the colors and options you want is the first step.

Second, on pricing, there is roughly a 12-13% markup between MSRP and invoice on the entire car, factory options included. I would think you should be able to get a 6-7% discount, although some geographic areas are more competitive than others. A 10% discount would be a great deal on a brand new car (not demo). You might be able to cut a slightly better deal in September, as the 2008's start to arrive, but now's a pretty good time as well.

My dealer indicated that Porsche cut back production on most of its models starting in late 2006 to tighten up supply in anticipation of a bit of a recession in the US. So, in his case, he said he could not match the deal he gave me on a loaded 2005 911S Cab in September 2005 (10.3% discount). He indicated 6-7% is the most he would discount the same car today. That's only one dealer, and the Cayman may be in a different supply situation than the 911S, so shop around.

Lastly, I had my best luck dealing directly with sales managers or general managers, rather than sales staff. And I did have to go outside my immediate area (to Baltimore, from DC) to get the best deal. Hasn't been a problem for service (done locally) or in any other way, and I saved at least $5k+ by driving 55 miles for the purchase.
    ..has about 10 Cayman/Cayman S in stock...

That seems like a lot...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thanks for the information.. I did all of this and found the car,color,options that I wanted (and importantly a car without options I didn't want to pay for)... and had a fairly good buying experience. The dealer discounted the car about 7%, with a bit of give and take.

No buyers remorse! and I now have a car of my time gone by dreams....
    Happy to part of the "club"..
    D
    Well.. tell us about the car.. We've only got 28 posts here so far.. we've got time.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Pretty standard... as far as Caymans go.. Artic Silver, CD changer, PPA (the usual heated seats, radio upgrade) and auto climate control. I've had a few say I should have gone for the Cayman S.. but frankly, the extra 10K was daunting.. and the base Cayman has a whole lot of power. And I get to claim some "environmental" bragging rights with its 32 mpg on highway.

Some dealers had more CS's than standards.. others about 50/50. Even though I was only buying the standard (about the least expensive car on the lot), the sales staff treated me with respect, allocated as much time as I needed and seemed adequately fair. I mean, they still need to make a profit on the car.

That's about it.. thanks to some nice virtual hand-holding from Edmunds and some very good background information..
    see you all down the road!
  • carmonaredcarmonared Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery on a new 2007 Carmona Red Cayman S about a month and a half ago, the sand interior, 6 speed, 19 inch wheels, Bose surround, no CD changer (I am glad), no auto climate control (that I wish I had, the standard control takes some getting used to). Dealer was easy to work with, treated me well, gave me a very fair price. Of course I negotiated with 3 different dealerships and was flexible on color, did not want a lot of options, and told them I would take a unit in stock.

This is my first Porsche and I am absolutely wild about this car, so much fun to drive! Just got back from a drive from LA to Monterey and back to catch the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca, took almost entirely back roads. Must admit that I could not keep up with the sport bikes in the real twisty sections of Pacific Coast Highway 1. Already have about 2,300 miles on the car, and I do not drive it every day. I find that I don't use the sound system much because I enjoy listening to the engine so much.

So have fun with yours!
  • bibs1bibs1 Member Posts: 3
    Well...thanks for all your responses...I walked into my local dealer and test drove the car I had been eyeing on the net. After test driving it along with my wife...we walked into the salesman's office and I asked what type of discount he could give me on the sticker price. He gave me 10 % off right away. So I went a thousand lower and he gave it to us. We both knew that the '08's were on their way and they had 9 '07's on their lot. So I bought it. It's Atlas grey and the cayman stick. Grey leather int. So far I love the car. Think this is it for me forever. Again thanks to all of you who gave me your experiences to go on.
  • shanemstrshanemstr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Cayman S and I recently had a problem with the rear left stroud. A friend informed me that it seems to happen to a lot of caymans. I lowered my car about 8 months ago with H&R springs, and the dealer doesn't want to be responsible for the repairs because I lower the car. Any comments.
    Thanks-

Shane
    I think you are referring to the strut..

I'm not an expert on warranties, but if you modify the suspension, and then a related suspension part fails, then they are likely to deny coverage.

Good luck with it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Exactly...Porsche will not warranty work done by an aftermarket vendor...Nor will anyone else...
    yep.. agree with the previous posts... also, if you have any other technical questions, try "www.caymanclub.net".. the folks at that site are really pretty solid technically..
  • kmanskmans Member Posts: 20
    I always recommend registering your Cayman at www.caymanclub.net as well as joining PCA if you need technical information, warranty advice, or generally just about anything related to the Cayman.
  • uniklyunikly Member Posts: 3
    Whats the difference between CaymanS 07 and 08 model ? I cant seem to find any. Please advise. Thanks.
  • elwood52elwood52 Member Posts: 6
    I've pretty much decided to buy a 2008 Cayman with tiptronic as an option. Question; is the sports exhaust option worthwile - in terms of a more robust sound?

Thanks.
    Do data on the sound.. but the existing systems sounds pretty good now, IMO....
    Good luck...and enjoy...
  • sameol6sameol6 Member Posts: 3
    i agree! i currently drive an m3 and only two things impressed me about the cayman s. 1 was the exhaust note. 2 was the handling.
  • redsoxgirlredsoxgirl Member Posts: 67
    I don't mean to be critical of you personally, but as a long time Porsche person, the idea of a tiptronic equiped Cayman with a sport exhaust makes me cringe.

The base Cayman isn't exactly a speed demon to begin with. Handicapping it with a $3,500 tiptronic takes it down a couple of more notches. From my experience driving various 911's, the Tiptronic doesn't just adversely affect the straight line acceleration, but also affects how the car handles curves and transitions, compared to the positive engagement of the Porsche's excellent 6-speed manual. But....to then add a $2,400 sport exhaust system on a base tiptronic Cayman seems like a bad joke. And a potentially embarassing one. You'd end up with a car that sounds like it can keep up with a $200k Ferrari and yet in reality would have a tough time keeping ahead of a $20k Mazda Miata. All image, but limited substance.

IMO, rather than spend a total of $6,000 on Tiptronic and sport exhaust on a base Cayman, you should consider getting a 6-speed Cayman S and have a real world class sports car. Or, just get a manual transmission base Cayman and take the Porsche (or other) performance driving school.

I know my position sounds harsh, but I think you should hear it straight, rather than sugar coated. If you still want to spend $60k on a base Cayman with a lame slushbox and a mean exhaust, it's your money.
  • kmanskmans Member Posts: 20
    Well considering that the Cayman S outruns, outhandles, outbrakes, and outperforms the M3 in every way, I'm surprised the exhaust note and handline was all you picked up on.

As far as the person wanting the sports exhaust there are a lot better options available to you, check the articles section at caymanclub.net and you'll find reviews and dyno tests of several aftermarket exhaust systems for the Cayman, ones that produce real horsepower.

Check out the Capristo system on my Cayman S, just visit YouTube and search for Capristo and Cayman and you'll find it.
    Thanks to all who replied to my question about the sports exhaust. Quite convincing - glad to save the money.
    I have a 911S with the sport exhaust ($2,400) and sport chrono ($920) options.

My sport exhaust is turned on by the "sport" button which also activates the sport programming in the sport chrono package (faster throttle response, faster braking response). The PASM suspension setting can be toggled separately between normal and sport, but the sport exhaust cannot be toggled separately from the sport chrono.

The net effect of the sport exhaust and faster throttle response of the sport chrono is significant. The car feels and sounds like it took a steroid shot from Barry Bonds trainer. Although Porsche doesn't claim any increase in horsepower, the perception is that the car is quicker.

My bottom line is that:

(a) I would not get the sport exhaust without also getting the sport chrono. The sport chrono is a bigger bang for the buck in terms of throttle response and feel. And they way it integrates with the sport exhaust is a much better package overall.

(b) I would not get an aftermarket sport exhaust, myself. I like the seamless factory integration of the Porsche system and I would want to have the ability to toggle the exhaust off. There are times when you don't want to wake your neighbors coming home. While it is true that some aftermarket systems claim increases in horsepower, that's usually with a series of other options that add significantly to the cost. A friend of mine dumped $15k into modifying a 2001 996 Turbo with a sport exhaust, larger turbos, engine reprogramming and a heavy duty clutch. But, in the end he had a car with 550+ hp at the wheels and a 11.0 second 1/4 mile ticket to show for it. I don't think that's what you are looking for in a base Cayman.

(c) Lastly, while it is your money, I'd have to side with redsoxgirl that a sport exhaust on a base, tiptronic Cayman is a little peculiar. I took my 911S off the lot and got a great deal ($10k off), essentially making the sport exhaust a freebie. But if I was paying for it, I'd likely stretch for an "S" model before I added a sport exhaust to a base model. Especially in the Cayman where the "S" gets you an addtional 50 hp, compared to 30 in the 911. That's a huge difference. As is the 6-speed vs. tiptronic. My manual transmission is a sheer pleasure and exceptionally easy to modulate, even in DC area traffic. There is NO reason, IMO, to get a $3,400 tiptronic unless you are physically disabled.
  • ringleader6ringleader6 Member Posts: 43
    If you prefer an automatic to manual, you would be mentally disable to get the manual. You would never be happy with the car. The tip is an excellent option, but with all Porsche options it is expensive. That chat you got about the performance difference in the tip and manual is pretty much bs for a casual driver on the open road. The tips command a premium in the Atlanta market. Last I heard there were less than 5% produced with tips. As far as the sport exhaust, there are many sources for aftermarket exhaust and many choices for sound. The sport exhaust may be louder than you would wish to normally run around town with and another choice would actually give you a better boost in performance and a sound to please. Actually, the stock is what I prefer. These cars already have quite a bit of road noise to deal with. The sports chrono package gives the sense of an increase in performance by changing throttle response. You can upgrade the computer programing and get real performance increase for less money, add about 30 hp.

You should get your hands on a few issues of excellence magazine and check out all of the aftermarket items available for these cars........you will be quite surprised.
    That chat you got about the performance difference in the tip and manual is pretty much bs for a casual driver on the open road....You can upgrade the computer programing and get real performance increase for less money, add about 30 hp.

First, a "casual driver on the open road" describes the original poster, he would be just as well off driving a slushbox Camry. It's bs to suggest that is the metric for buying a Porsche.

Second, double check your logic, please. In the Boxster and the Cayman, the performance difference between the 6-speed manual and Tiptronic in performance is HUGE, relatively speaking. The manual transmissioned base model in both cars is damn near as quick as the tiptronic in the "S" models with 50 more horsepower. Same goes for the 911. So on the one hand, you are suggesting paying $3,400 for Tiptronic to castrate the equivalent of 30-50 horsepower out of the performance of the car and then spend even more money to reprogram the engine to try to get some of that back? And according to my dealer, you could be flirting with invalidating the warranty.

IMO, it's a no brainer. Get a manual, save a bundle and have a real sports car that will be a lot more fun to drive. Can't expain your claim about the Atlanta market, but my dealer in Maryland will not order any Boxster, Cayman or 911 with a tiptronic without a non-refundable deposit. Maybe it's the Nascar vs. Formula One demographic.
  • redsoxgirlredsoxgirl Member Posts: 67
    Re-read habitat1's response - it's spot on.

I have to ask, though, claiming the Tiptronic to be an "excellent option" and claiming the performance difference from a manual is "bs", have you ever driven either? That seems like an unbelievable statement if you have.

My brother, a former race team member and still consultant to Porsche doesn't have a single peer in his Porsche group that would opt for the Tiptronic, even on the 911 Turbo, in spite of its claim to being quicker - thanks to a "launch control sequence" that idiots can use to impress other idiots at a stoplight. He still teaches performance driving courses for Porsche and Ferrari - using strictly manuals - and lives outside Atlanta. Perhaps you should look him up. In fairness, there is some positive anticipation of the DSG transmission Porsche has been working on for some time and should be introducing soon. But there is no love lost on the Tiptronic slushbox by anyone who is a serious Porsche enthusiast.
    Ok,

The MSRP is 53,575 not including 860 freight. New '08 Cayman.

The dealer is offering me a 3,000 discount and doesn't seem to be willing to give more than that. Is that an acceptable proposal?

Thanks for your opinion.
    By the way, the deal referred to in the previous message (#48) is a cash deal.
    Is that a car on the dealers lot, or one he would specifically order to your specs? That's probably a fair deal (5-6% discount) on a new 2008 Cayman, but I've heard of 10%+ discounts on new 2007's.
    Let's try to help with pricing, and leave that debate to the general discussion..

While I would never buy a Cayman with Tiptronic, other people would still like to know how much to pay.

I'm on your side, but wading through this debate, every time, is going to obscure the mission of this particular discussion.

Thanks!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.