Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayman Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• elwood52elwood52 Member Posts: 6
    It's about to go into production and I have made a few changes on options. Won't get it until December. Pretty much like an ordered car.

No real selection of '07's at this particular dealer. But I guess I had in mind more like 7% off on an '08.

Thanks
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I bought my 2005 911S off the lot almost exactly 2 years ago at a discount of about 10.5%, the best deal I could have gotten at that time on a 2006 made to my specs was $5,000 off (5%) The new 997 was still "hot" at the time and the general economy was better, but I've also heard that Porsche has cut back production somewhat recently, so as to keep supply and demand in balance. So I think you should be satisfied with your deal at 5.6% off.

On the other hand, you might want to check inventories at other dealers in your area/region via Porsche's website. I ended up getting my good deal at a Baltimore area dealer 50 miles away after the 4 closer dealers scoffed at much of any discounting. And I haven't had any problems getting good service at the nearby dealer that didn't get the sale. For me, getting a 2005 for effectively $7k less than a 2006 (factoring in a 2% price increase) was worth it. Especially since it gave me the opportunity to drive the car (Cabriolet) in the fall rather than wait until December for delivery.
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    Any 2008 model specific ordering, pricing and discount experiences?
  • falitefalite Member Posts: 3
    Hello...Ive never owned a Porsche but really like the Cayman. Im looking for some sound advice for a GOOD BUYING EXPERIENCE!!
    1. Should I shoot for around 10% off MSRP?
    2. Can my friends out there give me a breakdown of their buying experience, ie MSRP, what you actually paid, how much you put down, monthly cost, what you might do differently...thanks so much!!!
    A few suggestions:

(1) If you are ready to buy now, and want the best price, scour dealer inventories for leftover 2007's in the colors and options you want. You can get a list of all dealers within up to a 300 mile radius of your zip code via. Porsche's website (find a dealer tab): Porsche USA

(2) 9-10% off an in-stock 2007 Cayman would be a very good deal. 5-7% off a made to order 2008 would be a good deal. This is from my experience in my area (DC), it varies by geography.

(3) Study the option list via Edmunds and the Porsche brochures. It's a mile long and many of the options are excessive, IMO. Especially if you are trying to stay within a budget and want to have good resale value. Rather than load up a base Cayman with expensive options, I suggest considering a Cayman S with minimal options. The 295 hp Cayman S (and Boxster S) is a significantly elevated driving experience from the base model, IMO.

(4) I paid cash for my 911S, so I can't help you with financing suggestions. But, from what I've heard, Porsche leases are rather expensive (compared to say, BMW) and they offer little, if any, financing subsidies.

(5) What I'd do differently: Stop procrastinating on taking Porsche's Performance Driving School. Everyone I know that has taken the 2 day course says it adds considerably to their ownership experience.
    thanks for the info!
  • ringleader6ringleader6 Member Posts: 43
    I do not know what part of the country you are in, but the highest discounts generally offered are in the southeast. There are two Atlanta dealers who are extremely competitive as Porsche USA is also located in Atlanta. Bought my Cayman S there. The cars are ported nearby also, so they can do a lot of allocation swapping. Generally the west coast dealers offer the smallest discounts because of demand and allocation limitation.

I have purchased both new Caymans and Carreras, presently drive a 2007 Carrera S2 which was purchased from Brumos in Jax. They are Porsches number one dealer, not in units, but overall. They also have their own driving school at the Gainesville raceway, which comes at no charge with a purchase and instruction is by one of Porsche's race drivers. Highly reccomended. Porsches school is in Birmingham, Barber race track, also highly recommended, but not at no cost.

You should expect discounts in the range of 6-7%. I do not know of a 10% deal, but I had a dealer in South Carolina offer 9% on an order. Unless you want something exotic, or heavily optioned, you should be able to locate the car you want. I really do not think it matters which dealer you buy from, they all want your service business. You should surf the Porsche website for the individual dealers, and you can check their inventory. Bear in mind some of the inventory may have been sold, but this list also shows cars for the dealer which may have not been ported. If not ported, it can be transferred to another dealer before being trucked. So you can buy a west coast car on the east coast without double shipping.

You should give careful thought to the options on these cars, as they all are extremely expensive and you will not recover on trade or resale. One item which may affect your discount is if you want an automatic, as Porsche only makes a dribble of allocation for automatics.

Color choice is the most limiting on these cars, if you like silver or black, that is about half the inventories and also bring the highest dollar on trade.
  • ydvydv Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to decide between a 911 carrera and cayman s. A demo or slightly used carrera (07) is mid 70s it seems while a new cayman s is mid 60s or so (maybe a little less).

curious to hear peoples thoughts on this.
  • donc6donc6 Member Posts: 16
    a nice problem to have. I don't recall the MSRP for '07 Carrera.. but at mid 70's, I wonder how "slightly" used the car really is. In any event, I bought a Cayman 2.7 (the extra 5-8K wasn't in my budget-- and I already heard all the arguments why no one should settle for the 2.7, please) and didn't even look for an equivalent priced 911 becasue I knew it would be really "used". But frankly, I liked the body style, mid engined layout and ability to carry luggage that a carrera wouldn't handle well, e.g. two bags of golf clubs. So, for me, the decision was easy -- the handling and utility of the Cayman trumped status of the Carrera. Now, if the Cayman wouldn't have taken the golf clubs, I hate to think what I would have ended up with !!
    Don
    Do not compare the used 911 to the Cayman unless the 911 is certified. A Porsche certified actually has a better warranty than a new Porsche. Porsche does not charge for this, but the dealers will try to add additional cost, so negeotiate this. If the extra 10 grand is not an issue, the 911 is the obvious choice. You will more than recover in trade or resale. The jump seats and the extra shoulder room is the difference, the seats will recline in the 911, but cannot in the Cayman. I have both, and the difference is there. Plus, if you are vain, the Cayman is a wanna be 911.
    I'm located north of Atlanta...what 2 Atlanta dealers were you referring to?
    I'm assuming you felt the extra 10k for the Cayman S was worth it...I haven't driven either one yet...is the extra HP a noticeable difference?
    Thanks
    Two years ago, I had to decide between a Boxster S and 911 Cab. I went with the 911 for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was because it could handle my entire family (wife, two daughters 7 & 10 at the time). I also went for the Carerra S which was considerably more powerful than the then 3.2 liter 280 hp Boxster S. Even though in my case, the premium was more like $37,000, I have never looked back with any regrets.

However, if you are single and/or don't ever anticipate using the rear seat for passengers, a 3.4 liter 295 h.p. Cayman S is a heck of a nice car, too.

Hard to go wrong, either way.
    Just a note-- a lot of chatter on this and other rooms about the power vs. extra $10k. Really it is about $9k difference becasue the CS comes with the 18in wheels standard, as does the 6 speed -- and that 2007's left over can likely be had with further discounts. It is probably also true that the CS version will command higher resale than the 2.7L. In my case, I choose the standard 2.7L version because the extra 7-10k was not insignificant and the standard version still offers 245hp and less weight and I tend to keep my cars for a long time, thus resale is not much of an issue.
    I'll find out just how much difference there "really is" during an upcoming track day, but, honestly, for day to day motoring about, I find 245hp pretty darn snappy. I'm sure there are some situations where the extra 50hp could even be "used" but I'm up to the speed limit in a few hear beats as is... So, it comes down to a personal enjoyment, ability to afford, -- either way, you really can't go wrong.
    Hennessy and Ellis, both to be considered volume Porsche dealers if there is such a thing. I believe Hennessy is the No 1 in units for the USA. Ellis might have an edge in their service department. But, these cars don't need service. I do know that Ellis is where Porsche sends problem vehicles for the corporate technicians to inspect.

The original Atlanta dealership was one set up as a gift for their race team driver who obtained a vision problem in an accident, never got over it, and became self inflicted terminal. I bought a car from them in '83 after looking them over in Jax. I may hold the record for a Cayman S as it listed at 96K plus satellite radio and speed film.

You need to recognize the HP difference in all Porsche cars is noticeable, however you also should recognize that all Porsche are fast, extremely fast when compared to anything else. The difference in the S or base should be if you are going to insist on the options for your base which would escalate the price to virtually the same as the S. I would not get too caught up in trade value comparisons either, pick the car you like.

I have my cars serviced in Montgomery for convenience, a dealership which only delivers a minuscule number of new vehicles. Buy the car from whomever you can get the best deal, unless service is an issue with you. But your service manager could care less who you purchased from, so long as he gets to write the service.
    Regarding the 50 hp difference between a Cayman/Cayman S, to me, it would be very significant. That is slightly more than a 20% increase. I found a very "noticable" difference between the 911 and 911S - and that was "only" a 30hp and a little over 9% increase.

You should test drive both, to determine for yourself if the difference is worth it. I had previously owned a Honda S2000 and from a purely psychological standpoint, would have had a tough time going with a $50k base Boxster that was noticable slower than the $32k, exceptionally well built Honda. The 2005 Boxster S (280hp) was slightly quicker than the Honda. That's not to say the base models aren't reasonably quick and let's face it, all Boxsters, Caymans and 911s have exceptional handling, braking, driving dynamics and feel - which to me, is still the primary reason to buy any sports car.
  • sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    Would you guys jump an a Cayman S with Nav and upgraded stereo with chrome tip exhaust and heated seats for $55,500? Sticker was supposedly $65. I liked the car quite well, it handles well, but the pedal box seems a little tight, and the wheel barely clears my knee. But it seems fun. Anyone know how much more a 911 would be?
  • elwood52elwood52 Member Posts: 6
    New or used 2007??
    New
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    If it is new, why is the sticker, "supposedly $65". The sticker is supposed to be on the car... I'd want to see it..

If it is truly $65K, and they only want $55,500, that seems like a good price.. Are you sure this isn't a demo? Stick or Tiptronic?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The sticker is $65K, I saw it. It's a stick, drives nice. Didn't check the mileage though, maybe it's a demo...
    That seems like a good deal.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I would think a similarly equiped 911 coupe (base) would be about $18-20k more, in the $73-75k range after discounts (MSRP of $80k+/-).

However, although $55.5k sounds like a very good deal, I strongly suggest rethinking the options on the car.

It has:
    $3,070 - PCM 2.1 w/ Navigation
    $970 Bose
    $570 Chrome exhaust tips
    $490 Heated seats.
    $5,100 total

I'd forego all of those for (in order of preference):
    $920 sport chrono
    $1,990 PASM (adjustable suspension)
    $1,050 Xenons
    $3,960 total

And if you still have money burning a hole in your pocket,

$2,100 Sport Exhaust
    $1,500-$2,000 19" Carrara S or Classic Wheels/Tires.

I happen to have all of the options (some were standard) above on my Carrera S Cab. I think of the Cayman as first and foremost a sports car, and then a highway cruiser. So, on a limited budget, I would get options that enhance the driving experience rahter than toys or creature comforts. Nav is nice, but at $3k, that's a ridiculous price for a system that is 2-3 rungs down in ease of use compared to our Acura's. Heated seats in a coupe - hell, I only use them on rare occassion in my Cab with the top down. Never with the top up. Bose = big ripoff. The standard sound system is only average at best, but the extra money for the Bose barely improves it. Don't even think about the 6-cd changer. Chrome exhuast tips = purely aesthetic.

The sport-chrono package is a must have in my opinion. The chrono part is more of a toy. But the sport part, with the enhanced throttle and braking response is a very noticable step-up in driving experience. PASM is also great if you are also going to be toggling between smooth roads where you want the tightest handling and rougher roads where you want to keep your fillings in place. It's probably not worth 2x the price of sport chrono, but it's still high on my recommended list. Xenons are a strong personal preference for me, scratch off if you don't care. The sport exhaust at $2k was the option I never would have ordered, but it came on the (in-stock) car I got a great deal on. Now it's one of my favorite features. Porsche doesn't claim any horsepower increase with the sport exhaust, but a friend with a 911S has had his dyno'd with it on and off and it shows about an 10+/- hp increase. In combination with the sport chrono, the sport exhaust feels and sounds like you put the car on a Barry Bonds steroid shot. Lastly, 19" wheels and the wider tires are certainly not necessary, but if you want that last bit of handling performance, that would pretty much cover it. I would NOT get them without the PASM, however.

These are my recommendations from having 17,000 miles of experience with all of the above (and a few more) on my 911S. Obviously, do what you want, but like I said, the Cayman is a sports car and I'm guessing the reason the one you are considering is still around is that it has $5k of options that don't really add to the driving experience and a few important ones missing.
    Exactly. I thought about trying to find the PASM, but I don't know what's available in 2007s still. They should be getting pretty desperate to deal in my part of the world, as winter is about to close in in New England.
    Start there, but don't limit your search to your nearby dealers in New England. Everybody's inventory is accessible through Porsche's website. The dealer I bought from in Baltimore ships cars to California.
  • trewquistrewquis Member Posts: 30
    So I was surfing the local Audi dealer to see what they had in stock, was considering testing a TT. Turns out they also carry Porsches. They have a new '07 Cayman that stickers for $52,185 that they'll sell for $44,995. I couldn't imagine that you could get a Porsche for less than most TTs. So I was wondering just how good a deal this is? Is this a steal, or just the going rate?

Thanks.
    There is definitely a discount on 2007, check out some of the cayman sites as well.
    $7,200 off sounds like an extremely good deal if it is a brand new car (not demo). I would have thought 10-11% off (i.e. $5,500+/-) on a leftover brand new 2007 would be a very good deal.

Be forwarned however, that the Cayman S is a real sports car and the TT is more of a sporty coupe. If you want the former, you will never consider a TT again after a test drive. I know Audi tried to go on a diet, but depending upon the configuration, the TT can still weigh as much as the Cayman S with an large Cape Buffalo sitting in the passenger seat. I think you beter make sure what kind of car you want before you cross shop these two. They are at different ends of the spectrum of two seaters.
    A $7200 discount is a good deal as long as you like the color and accessories... probably really wants this car off the lot. the discount may reflect a heavily loaded car.. but, forget the TT... you'll love the Cayman!
  • trewquistrewquis Member Posts: 30
    Actually had the numbers off a bit, the sticker is $54,110 so actually over a $9,000 discount. It's an '07 and has 150 miles on it, to me that is new. The only significant option is the preferred plus package which gives you the Bose stereo, that's nice, the other stuff I don't really care about. The color is red with black interior, the same as my current car, so obviously I like it. I'm keeping the old one for foul weather and the like, so red and black will be my team colors. The one thing it doesn't have that I'd like is an i-pod adapter (hate shuffling CDs) but that's not even an option.

Drove it, it's great. Worried some about practicality issues so opted for the lesser commitment of a three year lease. Got the standard Porsche MF which is lousy, and acq fee, but they upped the resid 3% over standard which was nice. So I'm looking at a depreciation of only $12K or so. I've agreed to $0 down. I know people usually say it is a bad idea to do cap reduction, but with the lousy MF and the small depreciation, does it make sense in this case? I'm due to sign and pick up tomorrow so I can still play with the terms.

It gets shockingly good mileage - save the planet, drive a Porsche. Insurance was reasonable too. Downside, I have to pay the annual state personal property tax and the assessed "value" will most likely be closer to MSRP.
  • topspintopspin Member Posts: 7
    $10,000 off 2007 Cayman S a good deal?
    Is it new? Or, service loaner/demo?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• topspintopspin Member Posts: 7
    It's new with ~150 miles MSRP $63,000
    I've commented on this recently in the Caymanclub.net website.. a really good one BTW. But, since the lots are full of 2008's now, the key thing is whether the car has the options that you want/are happy with. The discount is good, but 2007's are a bother to dealers right now. The only other thing to inquire about is when did they "punch" the begining of the waranty period -- it may have already started and you will not get the full time period.

But.. if the car is what you like.. go for it..
    $10K off a relatively unladen Boxster S seems like a pretty good deal..

Personally, I think the lower-priced S-models are a better deal.. I've seen '07 models with sticker prices as high as $72K+...

The caveat about the warranty is a good one..

That is a lot of car for $53K.. As noted above.. if it is the one you want, it looks like a good deal.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• john200john200 Member Posts: 6
    I never really felt I was getting the whole story from my local Porsche salesman when we talked leasing a '08 Cayman. I put some refundable money down to hold a red Cayman for 24 hours, then I called several Porshe dealers in N.C. to see what they had.

I did feel that a couple of other dealers were more willing to deal. They both had similarly equiped Caymans. And honestly, I would have purchased the car from one of these other dealers (even 150 miles away) in N.C. after these talks. All this resulted in second thoughts and me pulling back. A good thing.

In general, I don't feel Porsche has very good leasing programs and I was struck by how few dealers were willing to seriously negotiate, especially late in the year. Two months later and I still see the same cars sitting on the lots.

I did not appreciate the pressure sales tactics and vague quotes from my local Porsche salesman. I have leased two BMW's and two Audi's and never felt uneasy. My experiences were great with them. This time, I felt I was at the local Nissan dealer. I know this was most likely the salesman's personal tact, but his tact did make me investigate dealers as far as 200 miles away for a better deal and I spoke to most of them. There also seems to be just a little too much erogance from some, not all, Porsche salesmen. Ya, it's a Porsche, I get it! Ooooo!

As I said, don't let your Porsche dealer tell you these cars are going fast and you need to act now and that's why they won't deal. They may not deal (their mistake), but by using Porsche's dealer locator feature on the Porsche web site you can see what each dealer has in inventory, some with pictures. Two months later I am looking at pretty much the very same inventory. Very little has moved. There's even a bunch of '07's on the lots.

The result... I pulled back, took my refundable deposit back and decided to wait. Which led me to leasing an '08 Audi Q7 a couple of weeks later to replace my wife's Allroad. I plan on going back next year, shopping all the N.C. Porsche dealers. The best deal wins guys. No B.S! I expected Porsche dealers to be a little classier than this most recent experience.
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    I came very close to getting Cayman in November, but as usually, my wife jumped in and we ended up getting the "practical car", an Audi Q7 3.6 Premium to replace her Allroad.

Well, which is it? What queered the deal? The dealership or your wife?

-MOO
  • john200john200 Member Posts: 6
    Good question. Actually the dealership made me step back a bit. That hesitation allowed my wife time to pitch the case for a larger car for herself. The Cayman is going to be a weekend car for me. I'll still get one next year.
    Well... I think that Porsche salesman was correct... You should have grabbed that Cayman when you had a chance!! ;)

Oh well.... at least the wife is happy.. :(

Seriously, the reason the Porsche salespeople are fuzzy about the lease deals is because they suck... (comparatively to BMW/Audi). If you are getting a Cayman, you are probably better off buying it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

ROFL!!!

Thanks, Kyfdx. You sure put that bluntly. Unfortunately, you're correct. Buying is the best way to go on our vehicles.

-moo
    I noticed an Indiana dealership has two (2) relatively low-optioned Caymans, new, advertised for a little over $10K off MSRP.

Original MSRPs of $52K+ and $55K+..

They appear to be new, zero-mile cars.. Anyone seen similar or better deals out there? This seems to be a good price.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hey, its already 2008... and the '08s have been coming in for a while... If you see a 2007 outfitted with what you want, and they have any sort of discount, you should pull the trigger! The dealers won't be as generous with the '08s for another 8 months -- that's my opinion... I bought my Cayman 07 in July just before the '08s were to start builds...and my dealer negoiated a bit... like 7%. My advice is to buy your car ... IF... they are outfitted as you would like. I think the $52K car has limited accessories.. while the $55K might be more to your liking... Mine had the PPA, 18" wheels (a must!), upgrades sound and CD changer... and was 54+ MSRP.. a nicely outfitted model. anything less would feel like a stripped down model!
    That'smy opinion.. D
    I'm not wild about the way the 18" Cayman S wheel looks on the base model.. Something about the smaller brake calipers on the base model... to each his own. I'm sure yours looks fantastic. ;)

However, in general, 18" look better, I agree... Not happy about replacement cost, of course.. :(

I agree about the extra options going from $52K-$55K.. Usually, that first $3K of options on a base car is all stuff you really want.. One thing I'm surprised about, though... Most base Caymans on the lot don't have Xenons... which I generally want..

I haven't called this dealer, but if the website prices are accurate, looking at 19%-21% off of MSRP. Both are Silver/black, so no issues there..

Did I mention my wife? $900 car payments are a sticking point.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• clucasclucas Member Posts: 1
    I am very excited with the Cayman S. Seriuosly planning to purchase a brand new 2008. Made an offer $500 below the invoice of $52,000. Haven't heard from the dealer. Maybe, my offer is ridicoulosly low. Any advice to get the best deal would be deeply appreciatred.
    Dealership: Michael Stead Porsche of Walnut Creek(California)
  • kmanskmans Member Posts: 20
    It helps to go in armed. So let me give you something.

First you need to stop by http://www.caymanclub.net and visit the sales and leasing section to see what cars are actually going for around the country. While you can get below invoice on a 2007 I haven't seen ANY dealership go that low on a 2008 without incentives from Porsche.

So now here is a bonus. When you go to Michael Stead ask for Mike Pardini, tell him the CaymanClub sent you and that you want the insider deal on a Cayman and he'll get you the lowest price that dealership can offer.

You can thank me later. :)
    I hate to say it, but that offer is pretty much dead. I've not heard of anyone getting a "new" Cayman at below invoice -- especially mid model year! I bought my base 2.7, argurably a less desirable model, toward the end of the 2007 model year for that price... If the sticker price is about $65 (S + options), I would think the dealer might, might be interested at $58K -- unless the economy is getting really, really bad for Porsche dealers.

I second kmans' comment about visiting caymanclub.net. I've been crawling that website for a few months now and it is, by far, the best source of information on Cayman around.

Good luck, but you might be a bit more generous/realistic.
    D
    You might start thinking Porsche instead of Kia. Totally different mindset. Porsche aims to make some money. Up that offer 4k and you might have a deal.

-moo
  • savantnoirsavantnoir Member Posts: 3
    I am new to the thread, and have read all the posts, but they seem to be all over the place. That being the case, I will just jump into this with some of my expereinces and thoughts.

I bought last week the new Porsche Design Cayman S. The particular model I got was $92,000 (pretty much fully loaded, including Chrono, CCB, PASM, PCM, etc etc). I could have bought any 911 model. I also could have bought another Aston Martin (as my previous car was A-M DB7 Volante.

People buy cars for different reasons. I did not buy the "poor man's entry level Porsche" because it was all I could afford. To me, the looks in conjunction with it flawless handling, was the basis of my decision. Is the TT faster? Well, yes it is from 0-60.but the Cayman S beat it on the 12 mile test tract by .10 second because it can out -corner the 911 by a long shot! I have seen so many people say...."hell, a Z06 can kick a Caymans butt for the same price". Yes it can. Hopefully it will last the 3 years of your purchase agreement. When your 3 years is up and you are looking to sell it ...be happy if you get 22k. Also, at the end of those three years you can hardly wait to get rid of it!

Porsche has never been about JUST speed. Porsche, Aston, Lambro, Ferrari,m et al, offer an automotive expereince. What asp[ects of the total expereince most appeal to you, will be the compelling emotive forces behind your buying decision. All Porsches are GREAT cars, they are all easily 'daily drivers' that can just take a beating and keep giving you more. If you are willing to pay for all the luxury upgrades (and run your Cayman up to about 100k)..you also have one handsomely outfitted luxurious automobile in which the craftsmanship is impeccable. (The Vette Z-06 can never be made luxurious)!

I wanted a Cayman since the day they came out. I loved the design. Personally, I am a little tired of the 911 look.it has been around 57 years, and i dont want a car as old as me! When I saw a picture of the Porsche Design Cayman S.....that was all it took. THe next day I bought one at Newport Auto Center, Newport Beach, California.

When it comes to going out with friends....well..i still have my Audi A-8 (which i also love).
  • mpaigempaige Member Posts: 1
    My A6 lease expires in 2 months. For my next car Im seriously considering a caymen. Ive never owned a sports car and have always liked the look of Porsches. But the salesman put me off a little. The forum is full of people like me who are considering one but has anyone purchased one? What is your feeling now youve had some time to own it. Is it worth the $$$ or would you get the 911?

My family are all sedan owners and are horrified that Im getting a porsche! lol
    Hello mpaige...
    If you want to see a really comprehensive forum, try caymanclub.net. But to your question. I went with the Cayman because of the mid-engine platform, more storage than a 911 (I can get two golf carry bags in the back !) and, frankly, more in my price range. New 911's start at over 85K.. and go up very quickly as you may have seen already. Porsche has intentially put higher horsepower into the 911 series -- it is their icon. OK, but the Cayman is a serious Porsche.. even my non-S with "only" 245 hp is scary-fast. I'm off to a trackday to let it stretch its legs even more.

Sorry about the salesman -- try another dealer -- most of them are really professional.
  • savantnoirsavantnoir Member Posts: 3
    I love this Cayman!! That statement in and of itself means little, so let me give you a background info.

I owned 2000 Aston Martin DB-7 Volante
    2003 Jaguar XKR
    2005 Audi A-8
    2006 Lexus G350 (hate it) lol

I have also owned Ferrari's, previous 911's, 928 Prosche, 944 Turbo....well..a lot of cars over the years. The Cayman out-handles every 911 for most drivers., The weight distribution is 50-50, making us amateurs able to drive like pros. GT3/Turbo,GT2m, etc...they can handle well too.but you better know what yoyu are doing and you work a hell of a lot harder. The Cayman beat the Turbo on 12 mile test track, because it can pull .94g on skid pad test, whereas the TT only pulls .91 g.

Consider this (as i did). In our daily driving expereince, are you aiming to go 200 mph around town, or woudl you prefer to have the safety of the best handling car? The Cayman is no slouch, it does 0-60 under 5.0 seconds (in most TESTS, it does it in 4.6 - 4.8). It has top end of 171. (which we will probably rarely use). But when i can take corners marked 10 MPH at 75.thats FUN!

A word of caution, an interesting note. I have the Alcantara headliner in mine. It rattles. I went to the dealership and checked every car that has similar upgraded ($1,600) headliiner. They ALL rattle. IN the standard headliner, it is foam insulated. WHen you upgrade, they take out the foam, wrap leather around some fiber board, and then stick it back up into the roof. Now, with each bump, the board hits the internal roof beams. It is irritating as hell. The mecahnic told me Porsche has problems with adhesives to keep it in place. I will take the car somewhere and have this fixed.....but in the future, I would NEVER again order the car with the Alcantara headliner...leave it stock!

Also, as high priced as options seem when you order the car from Porsche, if you think you will ever want them, then GET THEM NOW! For example....Porsche wants $8,800 for the composite ceramic brakes. Seems like a lot. If later you decide you want them, they will cost you $18,000 before installation! I have MOST of my interior peices painted out black, but not the door handle surrounds. I want to add that. WHen ordering, the cost woudl have been $560. I cant find anyone to do it now for less then $2,500.

The ALL red tailights and stainless steel exhausts i recommend highly. At first I thought the all red tailights was silly waste of money. They have really grown on me. They look hot!

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.