Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Revisiting the Mazda CX-7 and CX-9 Colors

needsomezoomneedsomezoom Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Mazda
What does everybody think of this Copper Red Mica? Is this a color that's still going to look mainstream in a few years? Is it gender-neutral? Just curious what people think.

Comments

• carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Gender-neutral? Sure. Mainstream? Probably never. Speaking as someone who had a beautiful teal Civic back in 1993, I can tell you I wouldn't know what to do with it now.

The copper red mica is a great color, bit IMHO not a color for a car you plan on keeping more than 4-5 years and then getting much resale value out of.

-c92
  • defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    What does everybody think of this Copper Red Mica? Is this a color that's still going to look mainstream in a few years? Is it gender-neutral? Just curious what people think.

It's a nice color... I almost bought it except I couldn't find one with the options I wanted. I did find one that had everything except Sirius, but I decide against having the dealer install it as an option since they didn't seem confident about what was needed to add it. I went with pearl white instead with an all black GT interior. My wife wanted the red as 1st choice with sand interior, white with sand as second choice.

I also liked the ice blue but they didn't have one equipped as I wanted either.
  • needsomezoomneedsomezoom Member Posts: 3
    I hear you on the teal... can still see the Miami-Vice-blue Explorers with the green pinstripe. But Mazda is really playing up the red in the brochure... and the copper red is closer to red than teal blue to blue. Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it because it has the options that I want on the lot already.
    No doubt that the copper is a great color... I just couldn't swing it since I drive like a maniac. (Best to not draw TOO much attention to myself) My CX-7 is Galaxy Gray - the fact that it is the same color as RX-8s didn't hurt...

I wouldn't let availability sway your decision TOO much... unless you're in Anchorage, a dealer should be able to find you the car you want in a matter of days, regardless of color.

But hey, if the copper is the one that makes your blood boil, go for it. Just be aware that at SOME point down the road, you or a potential buyer might go "wow, was this color that cool back in '07?" Or, it might not even matter after years of happiness and satisfaction with your copper CX-7.
  • 022540022540 Member Posts: 31
    We considered the Copper Red Mica, it is a very sharp looking color.
    We ended up with the Liquid Platimum FWD Grand Touring model in Oct. 2006. We have about 4300 miles and love it.

Our last two trips in Oct. and Dec. going up in the Ozarks Mnts. We average over all gas milage of 25mpg in Oct.

The weather was really cold and rainy in Dec. and we only average over all 23.8mpg.

It is a blast to drive. At night it is especially fun with the lighting inside. It is a soft blue with red/black back ground. You feel like you are in a cockpit.
    I wanted the Copper Red but couldn't find a GT Tech Package that had the Sirius module installed from the factory. I realize that I could have had the dealer install it but since it was a new dealer and they were guessing at what was needed to install it. For example, they the sales manager thought all it required was the module when an antenna has to be added as well. I also didn't want to chance anything being taken apart to install the module and antenna. I also would have had to wait or bring it back once they got the parts. As I was signing the deal on the red I flinched and changed to Pearl White.

I think the Pearl under certain lighting or when the sun hits it is really sharp. Truthfully, I would have taken almost any color but my wife really wanted red and was willing to accept white. The only other colors they had were maybe the Black Cherry or the Grey. I don't think any of them are really bad colors.

I also like the fact that I ended up with an all black interior when originally we wanted the two tone sand.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    All black interior looks sharp, but just wait until summer comes along, sitting in a blazing hot sun and you guys are wearing shorts. Can you wait until bare skin comes in contact with blistering hot, black, leather seats? :P

Other than that, have a fun with it! Pearl white is awesome.

I'd be leary too about that dealership, in fact, I'd run away as fast as possible. If they're scratching their heads about dealer installed options, that's not a good sign.

Vince.
    Black interior was fine for me in Texas in August, but you HAVE to get a windshield screen. The CX has a HUGE windshield (great for looks and aerodynamics, but unfortunately also good for making a four-door solar oven.) :shades:

I estimate the foil-sided screen
    I bought dropped the interor of my car at least 20 degrees F...
    Actually my Jetta has all black leather and it's never been a problem even in the hot sun. To top it off the exterior is black also. Don't get me wrong, it gets hotter than cloth and probably a little hotter than lighter leathers but I don't find it scorching. I'm just glad it's not vinyl.

As for the dealer, I believe that it was just that it was under new ownership and since it was afterhours the sales manager was trying to figure it out himself. The actual service shop has been around and is located further down the road combined with a Mitsubishi dealer that I had good experiances with.

I probably would have been uncomfortable with any dealer taking things apart to add the module and antenna on my brand new car.
    Yeah, I should probably get one to reduce the heat and protect the interior.
  • cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    Good window tint and a sun visor, + remote-start with AC on all make it just fine ;)
    I just got off the phone with Mazda to complain about the fact that the Pearl White is a 200 dollar option and was informed that it is a more expensive process to produce the iridescent effect of the Pearl. He was also kind enough to let me in a "little known secret" that the Pearl has less drag than normal paint and therefore makes the car faster and more fuel efficient.

So... eat your hearts out!!!!
  • cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    I just got off the phone with Mazda to complain about the fact that the Pearl White is a 200 dollar option and was informed that it is a more expensive process to produce the iridescent effect of the Pearl. He was also kind enough to let me in a "little known secret" that the Pearl has less drag than normal paint and therefore makes the car faster and more fuel efficient.

I have the white.
    If it's more "fuel efficient" that's funny since my last tank I got 13 MPG. Would hate to see what it would have been if the car was blue. LOL

I think the last part is a load of crap ;)
    "I think the last part is a load of crap"

Of course it is.... the whole story is a load of crap and I didn't really call Mazda

;) LOL
    "But when I use synthetic oil, I can really feel the POWER!!!" :P
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    All the stickers on my car are Pearl White and they really make it zoom. I'm thinking about adding a Pearl White body kit next and then a set of Pearl White rims. :shades:

Truth be told white cars are about my favorite, and I wish mine really was white.
  • psycho6psycho6 Member Posts: 9
    It looks like I'm going to have to order the CX-9 Grand Touring to get the exact features I want. I was going to get a Galaxy Gray Mica (1st choice) or Platinum (2nd choice) with the sand interior. Now I've been informed that those two colors can only be ordered with the black interior, which I hate. That leaves me with white, black clearcoat (black mica has been discontinued), black cherry mica, or stormy blue mica. I don't like white or black cars, and the black cherry looks more like a strange black color. That leaves the Stormy Blue Mica. I don't want the car to look gaudy or to have a low resale value because of the color. Do you think the Stormy Blue Mica is a bad color?
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    What we all think of car colors is so subjective. I don't think there's a single color out there that doesn't have its fair share of fans and detractors alike. Can color really affect resale value? Perhaps if a car were some unusual color - like Pepto Bismo pink or something - but otherwise, I would imagine it's all in the eye of the beholder.

FWIW, in all my car buying experiences, I think the CX7 had the most limited palette of colors, each more disappointing than the next. I originally wanted the black cherry but thank goodness I saw it before buying; as the salesman told me, it's actually just a black car that if put in direct, bright light will display a hint of an undertone of cola coloring. So I ended up with the red, which to me is just OK, but not what I wanted. Still love the car, though.
  • dmele426dmele426 Member Posts: 33
    i bought my icy blue, awesome color. it is a cross between a metallic blue and platinum. TRUST me it is an awesome color during the day and at night it appears to be a platinum color.
    I LOVE IT!
    I have the cx-7 GT AWD.
    bought mine in NYC/ Queens area.
  • caliche67caliche67 Member Posts: 27
    I just got a 2008 CX-7 Grand Touring (Black Cherry Mica) and a 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring (Liquid Platinum Metallic) in the last two weeks!! Very happy with both but still trying to decipher gas consumption on each. I'm thinking that the CX-7 (4-cyl + turbo) burns more gas than the CX-9 (6-cyl). Is this the case? Got the CX-7 for my wife on January 2nd and liked it so much that I then got the CX-9 for myself on January 12. When my wife saw me strolling in on the "niner" she handed me the keys to the "seven" and told me she was taking the "nine" instead. Can you believe that? Ha, ha, I said OK, (you know, if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy, plus I get the turbo!). I also thought since I drive further to work that maybe the 4-cyl on the "seven" would be more gas-friendly (even with the turbo), but so far it doesn't seem to be the case. It is very sporty and cool, tight handling yet still more of a truck ride. The "nine" is such a nice smooth ride, almost limo-like. They're both very cool. Mazda did a nice job here. I also have a 2006 Mazda 6 iGrand Touring (Tungsten). Nice ride too.
  • caliche67caliche67 Member Posts: 27
    One year later, to the day, I'm still loving these machines!
  • bcp1bcp1 Member Posts: 21
    Oh, LOL................thats how they justify the extra $200 for the paint job. Its not the paint that produces the lower CV's, its the shape and contour of the vehicle.
    The CV's on the CX-7 are the same no matter what color the car is.
This discussion has been closed.